PDA

View Full Version : New Colt AR-15A4

Slater
08-16-22, 16:16
This is one of those "better buy it sooner than later" purchases considering the political landscape, although any new bans don't seem very likely at present. I'm in the camp that likes the consistency of the laser-etched markings on these, but I know some still prefer the older rollmarks. Receiver is marked "AR-15A4" but (IIRC) some early examples were marked "CARBINE" (?). Serial number on this particular rifle is CAR026xxx. No "F" marking on the FSB, as I believe Colt has discontinued that marking - on rifles at least.

I recall some discussion on the pistol grips on these newer production guns, but I don't remember what that was all about - possibly the contour of the grip?

https://i.imgur.com/Dc9BQsVl.jpg

Stickman
08-16-22, 16:55
Congratulations on a nice rifle, what are your plans for it?

Slater
08-16-22, 17:03
Bought this as a range gun. 20-inch rifles are largely the choice of us in the over-50 crowd.

markm
08-16-22, 17:14
Nice. I can't believe I no longer own a 20" rifle. My Dissipator style build fills the iron sight radius role, but I used to be all about the 20 incher.

DoubleW
08-16-22, 18:42
Congrats! These are one of my favorite rifles that Colt makes. I have one of the “light L” roll mark ones from a few years ago. I was pissed at first about that but have come to appreciate it as a neat oddity.

ABNAK
08-16-22, 18:44
Nice piece!

I fit that "over-50" comment and you may be correct! They just feel right. I have an A1 and A2 clone (although I never was issued an A2). When you look at how much an M4A1 with SOCOM-profile barrel and do-dads on it weighs that A1 is surprisingly light and "handy". Still prefer carbine > rifle length but not by much.

Stickman
08-16-22, 18:53
Congratulations on a nice rifle, what are your plans for it?

I meant more along the lines of optics, rails, M16A4 clone, lights, slings etc.. I'm a huge 20" fan, and I still patrol my property with a 20" gun much of the time.

CRAMBONE
08-16-22, 19:07
Nice piece!

I fit that "over-50" comment and you may be correct! They just feel right. I have an A1 and A2 clone (although I never was issued an A2). When you look at how much an M4A1 with SOCOM-profile barrel and do-dads on it weighs that A1 is surprisingly light and "handy". Still prefer carbine > rifle length but not by much.

That’s the way I feel about my 20” SP1. It’s probably lighter that my sbr BCM w/ LW-enhanced fluted barrel.

Straight Shooter
08-16-22, 19:24
Bought this as a range gun. 20-inch rifles are largely the choice of us in the over-50 crowd.

I just literally laughed out loud..how RIGHT you are! If I had to go thru SHTF/TEOTWAWKI ect.,ect., with that rifle..Id be FINE. Nice piece.

Stopsign32v
08-16-22, 19:38
It's like the minivan. I'm knocking on 40 and I really want to get one but I can't bring myself to yet! I need a 20" fixed stock AR.

ABNAK
08-16-22, 19:45
I just literally laughed out loud..how RIGHT you are! If I had to go thru SHTF/TEOTWAWKI ect.,ect., with that rifle..Id be FINE. Nice piece.

Couple of big things going for it:

1) Gas system is the length the weapon was designed around.

2) Compared to an M4 it will have slightly better terminal performance at a given range, or the same performance but at a longer distance away. Win-win.

3) Because of #1 it should tolerate a wider variety of ammo better.

Hammer_Man
08-16-22, 21:19
Nice rifle!! 20” M16 style rifles are so much fun to shoot. I still regret selling my A2 clone.

the AR-15 Junkie
08-16-22, 21:45
This is one of those "better buy it sooner than later" purchases considering the political landscape, although any new bans don't seem very likely at present. I'm in the camp that likes the consistency of the laser-etched markings on these, but I know some still prefer the older rollmarks. Receiver is marked "AR-15A4" but (IIRC) some early examples were marked "CARBINE" (?). Serial number on this particular rifle is CAR026xxx. No "F" marking on the FSB, as I believe Colt has discontinued that marking - on rifles at least.

I recall some discussion on the pistol grips on these newer production guns, but I don't remember what that was all about - possibly the contour of the grip?

Your pistol grip looks correct.

Here is my AR-15A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ca-SrCEbvg

Slater
08-16-22, 22:09
I meant more along the lines of optics, rails, M16A4 clone, lights, slings etc.. I'm a huge 20" fan, and I still patrol my property with a 20" gun much of the time.

For now just an optic (I have a SIG Bravo 5 that I may use) and a basic sling.

SteyrAUG
08-16-22, 22:11
I recently grabbed a EPC and that 20" A4 is next on the list. I think I have about 10 Colts with 20" barrels from SP1s, to A2 Govt. Profiles, to Hbars but don't have an A4 yet. When I get it, it will stay plain jane except for the carry handle will get swapped out for some kind of LPVO.

Hammer_Man
08-17-22, 08:06
For now just an optic (I have a SIG Bravo 5 that I may use) and a basic sling.

Grab a KAC M5 RAS, and a Matech rear sight. Be a cloner, all the cool kids are doing it :cool:

Slater
08-17-22, 08:50
On a semi-related note, this is a sales sheet from Colt's International office. It lists both Colt's M16A4 variants (one with burst mode, the other with full auto capability) as having 20-inch heavy barrels. Wasn't aware that any A4 had an HBAR configuration, only the standard Government profile barrel. Or is this just some misleading wording?

https://media.shootingsportsmedia.com/downloads/colt-2020-m16-specsheet-rnd3-web.pdf

davidjinks
08-17-22, 08:53

A2 Colt is my favorite rifle of all times I carried one for most of my military career.

3 AE
08-17-22, 13:51

Damn, I wish you hadn't posted that pic. I've been considering getting an A4 for the past couple of years. I planned on swapping out the stock for a carbine extension tube, buffer, and stock since the A1 and A2 stocks are too long for me. Also would add a Vortex Viper PST Gen-2, 2-10x32 scope with a BOBRO QD mount. What's holding me back is by the time I was done, I'd have a couple of grand+ tied up in it and would be better off buying more ammo and a couple of classes.

Just a thought, would an A-5 buffer system be worth investing in for an A4? Wait, stop, don't answer that. I don't need any more temptation! :)

Hammer_Man
08-17-22, 14:59
Damn, I wish you hadn't posted that pic. I've been considering getting an A4 for the past couple of years. I planned on swapping out the stock for a carbine extension tube, buffer, and stock since the A1 and A2 stocks are too long for me. Also would add a Vortex Viper PST Gen-2, 2-10x32 scope with a BOBRO QD mount. What's holding me back is by the time I was done, I'd have a couple of grand+ tied up in it and would be better off buying more ammo and a couple of classes.

Just a thought, would an A-5 buffer system be worth investing in for an A4? Wait, stop, don't answer that. I don't need any more temptation! :)

I would go with the A5 system if possible, as I find it works great on the 18” guns I’ve made.

RIBZ
08-17-22, 18:25
Congrats on a fine rifle. A person would be hard-pressed to find a better value than a basic Colt. I have an A4 built in 2014. The serial number is CAR 00XXXX.

Post a follow-up pic when you get her decked out with an optic.

indianalex01
08-18-22, 10:51
I would go with the A5 system if possible, as I find it works great on the 18” guns I’ve made.

A5 system isn’t better then Rifle set up. The Marine Corps tested it. I was one of the ones who got to evaluate it. It doesn’t nothing better. We didn’t accept it.

08-20-22, 13:25
OP, I think the discussion on the grip here a while back was that it wasn’t the right shade of gray/black, in one of the Sky/6920 is Falling threads. Whatever. Nice rifle; enjoy.

Stopsign32v
08-20-22, 13:45
A5 system isn’t better then Rifle set up. The Marine Corps tested it. I was one of the ones who got to evaluate it. It doesn’t nothing better. We didn’t accept it.

Why'd he get banned? LOL

SteyrAUG
08-22-22, 05:33
Why'd he get banned? LOL

Looks like things got personal on the BCM or PRI post.

Jewell
08-22-22, 06:29
Congrats. That's a beautiful rifle that sure takes me back.

Buncheong
08-22-22, 06:34

Congrats on a beautiful rifle, Slater. AGREE COMPLETELY on it being the choice of us … ahem … “mature” veterans. ;)

Please let us know how well she shoots for you!