PDA

View Full Version : how to remove Blue loctite

yoni
08-16-22, 19:42
Title says it all.

What solvent will remove Blue Loctite?

tn1911
08-16-22, 19:46
Probably start with their own Loctite solvent.

Clint
08-16-22, 20:52
Blue is supposed to be able to be removed with a wrench.

If not, a few seconds with the "blue tip wrench" should do the trick.

Averageman
08-16-22, 21:32
Regular Blue lock-tite should be removable with a socket and a breaker bar.
Now if you got some Army lock-tite that is blue but comes out of a red container, you might want to apply some heat first.
Yes, lock-tite makes a solvent.

jsbhike
08-16-22, 22:32
Title says it all.

Acetone will for sure. The flush they list on the red how to is an acetone/alcohol blend. I think skipping the chisel paint stripper would be a good idea depending on what you are trying to clean up.

https://www.henkel-adhesives.com/us/en/applications/all-applications/how-to/how-to-remove-red-threadlocker.html

Heat and a wire brush/tap & due is another method. Read claims fresh threadlocker will soften the dried gunk, but haven't tried it.

Disciple
08-16-22, 23:01
Acetone will for sure. The flush they list on the red how to is an acetone/alcohol blend.

I've used acetone on Red but not blue. Isn't the blue a different chemical base? It is possible acetone is less effective on it if that is true.

vicious_cb
08-16-22, 23:47
I've used acetone on Red but not blue. Isn't the blue a different chemical base? It is possible acetone is less effective on it if that is true.

Definitely not acetone, I tried cleaning up a scope mount where someone gummed up the clamping screws with loctite. Brake cleaner did absolutely nothing, probably would need to strip it down and scrub it down with a brush to really remove the residue.

Lefty223
08-17-22, 08:01
Naptha, i.e., lighter fluid

Averageman
08-17-22, 09:48
May I ask what application the Lock-Tite was used for?
Because if we're talking rings for a scope or something automotive, there are different ways to approach this.

yoni
08-17-22, 11:41
I am talking about showing a child how to clean an AR and I got a business call, since the gun was in pieces I figured no harm can be done.

While I was gone said child squeezed a bunch of blue loctite into my Timney Impact trigger.
I didn't know it had happened, and the parent my daughter came and got the kid. I didn't get back to the gun for 3 days. Now my trigger is loctited in place.

ssc
08-17-22, 12:01
methylene chloride This is what is recommended by Henkel. I have no first hand knowledge other than calling Henkel customer service.

Cheers, Steve

markm
08-17-22, 12:27
I am talking about showing a child how to clean an AR and I got a business call, since the gun was in pieces I figured no harm can be done.

While I was gone said child squeezed a bunch of blue loctite into my Timney Impact trigger.
I didn't know it had happened, and the parent my daughter came and got the kid. I didn't get back to the gun for 3 days. Now my trigger is loctited in place.

This is Eurodriver material. ;)

Averageman
08-17-22, 13:28
Acetone in an ultra sonic cleaner.

davidjinks
08-17-22, 16:04
Title says it all.

Soak in acetone.

yoni
09-08-22, 05:47
Wanted to give an update.

Soak the lower in Acetone for in the end 2 days, then ran the ultrasonic cleaner for like 6 hours.

No joy,

So I just ordered Methylene Chloride which is what the company that owns loctite said will work.

Will keep everyone posted

HKGuns
09-08-22, 06:31
I’d use this as an opportunity to upgrade to the G trigger of your choice! :)

Good luck, sounds like quite the mess.

yoni
09-08-22, 18:04
I’d use this as an opportunity to upgrade to the G trigger of your choice! :)

Good luck, sounds like quite the mess.

It is a mess, I cant even take the timney trigger out.

If the Methylene Chloride doesn't work I am going to cut the lower into pieces.

Swstock
09-08-22, 19:27

1_click_off
09-08-22, 19:34
If the Methylene Chloride doesn’t work, try baking it in a bearing warmer (or an old oven) at 450 for 20-30min before you cut it up. Disassemble while it is still too hot too hold.

OutofBatt3ry
09-08-22, 22:13
Title says it all.

Brakeclean® + wire brush.

Gabriel556
09-08-22, 22:51
If it gets to the point you are about to cut it apart, PM me. I’d be willing to take a good crack at it. I have coworkers that deal with all sorts of sealants and thread lockers at work, and can get many different things that may work. No charge, just a thank you if it works.