PDA

View Full Version : What do you have/recommend on a battle belt?

WillBrink
08-18-22, 16:05
So setting up a battle belt, via Haley (1).

For those who use such a rig, what do you use to attach your pistol holster to it? I know there's a few options out there.

What do you have/recommend otherwise?

I ordered double pistol mag pouch, one AR mag pouch, dump pouch, pouch for multi tool, and two more of those as they would fit stuff like a flashlight and misc.

I should probably add an IFAK. What do you recommend?

Use is quick kit up for emergencies and range/classes.

(1) https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?236928-Haley-Strategic-D3-Belt

One More Time
08-18-22, 17:31
Bigger guys get to hang more gear.
My skinny ass has room for a mid ride Safariland and a couple of rifle/pistol mags, I may be able to hang a flashlight.
Need a dump pouch though.

Pappabear
08-18-22, 17:59
One thing I absolutely love YMMV, is the Safariland one strap drop leg with QLS male/female system. Allows you to run multiple guns on the same belt. And the mag pouches that have are threaded with bungee so you can ran any mags in them. The most versatile of all but your belt may need to be gun/ operation specific.

So many belts....

PB

WillBrink
08-18-22, 18:31
One thing I absolutely love YMMV, is the Safariland one strap drop leg with QLS male/female system. Allows you to run multiple guns on the same belt. And the mag pouches that have are threaded with bungee so you can ran any mags in them. The most versatile of all but your belt may need to be gun/ operation specific.

So many belts....

PB

Belt I got is linked in the OP. I have seen the Safariland system and it looks like winner, but I'm one primary pistol kinda guy and don't really need it. I am going to order a new holster for the HK VP9 and option to attach to the belt.

Alpha-17
08-19-22, 09:17
I use a Safariland Mid-ride adapter with a QLS system for the holster.

In terms of other gear, the basics for me are pistol/rifle mag pouches, dump pouch, IFAK, water bottle/canteen pouch, and multi-tool pouch. The Dump pouch can be used for anything extra, and if you use TACO pouches, they can frequently be adapted to hold other things as well.

WillBrink
08-19-22, 11:02
I use a Safariland Mid-ride adapter with a QLS system for the holster.

In terms of other gear, the basics for me are pistol/rifle mag pouches, dump pouch, IFAK, water bottle/canteen pouch, and multi-tool pouch. The Dump pouch can be used for anything extra, and if you use TACO pouches, they can frequently be adapted to hold other things as well.

Just ordered that. Cool. I was considering other options like a chest rig and such for a quick all in one solution to be able put on and go if needed, range, courses, etc but decided a battle belt set up was a good choice for me. I have too many things in a range bag and such I put on a belt that takes too long and or I forget something.

I think the only thing I need now is the IFAK. I have to admit, I wanna add a fixed blade to the belt, but, no doubt, multi tool will solved 95% of issues a fixed blade would and take up same space or less. I will admit I just like the idea of the blade on the belt which = ninja wanna be.

At least I'm honest about!

ndmiller
08-19-22, 14:23
I'll add old school surefire flashlight holster although with weapon lights may be duplication for some. I like the option of a separate light as needing a light and needing to draw my handgun are sometimes mutually exclusive. Pocket flashlight solves this as well.

WillBrink
08-19-22, 14:34
I'll add old school surefire flashlight holster although with weapon lights may be duplication for some. I like the option of a separate light as needing a light and needing to draw my handgun are sometimes mutually exclusive. Pocket flashlight solves this as well.

I got added generic multi tool holder for a flashlight. I prefer them separate too.

JediGuy
08-19-22, 16:29
I can tell you brands of items I like, but I’m not a “user,” of my battle belts. I wear them for fun. So whatever I say, I qualify with that.

For classes, I typically use an Esstac 2+1 short pouch, naked. I’ve got these in multiple setups, including one used by my wife for a pistol course. Cool thing I found is that with the 2+1 is that if I’m shooting pistol only, I can fit two double stack pistol mags in the AR mag pouch section.

It’s been a while since a carbine course, but I would probably add a single Esstac AR pouch in that case (making two AR mag holders).

Tourniquet holders abound, I think the last one I bought was a horizontal Soileater. Makes sense at the front of a belt.

Holster…
Safariland mid ride UBL (notice a trend?) with QLS. I have a couple Safariland 6354DO’s modified for a Walther PPQ with X300U or TLR-1. Because they are on QLS mounts and can be switched quickly, I also picked up a no-light Ragnarok that I haven’t had a chance to use yet.
I also really like this thigh strap that integrates with the UBL. Need to get another. Worth it to get and install before with the holster/UBL. Do it all at once.
https://www.trex-arms.com/store/New-Thigh-Strap/
Side note, if you reconsidered and decided to go with the QLS system, they’ll assemble the UBL+strap+QLS before they send to you.

Beyond that, I do have a BFG dump pouch. It’s small. It works. It’s there just because.
https://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-speed-ultralight-dump-pouch.html

I also have a leather High Threat Concealment that has some BFG Ten-speed (belt) pistol and AR pouches plus dump pouch, as if I ever find myself in a situation that justifies carrying multiple mags semi concealed, I might as well look cool. …this has never been worn. But the BFG Ten-speed pouches are great for other items like a flashlight or multi tool.

WillBrink
08-19-22, 17:25
I can tell you brands of items I like, but I’m not a “user,” of my battle belts. I wear them for fun. So whatever I say, I qualify with that.

For classes, I typically use an Esstac 2+1 short pouch, naked. I’ve got these in multiple setups, including one used by my wife for a pistol course. Cool thing I found is that with the 2+1 is that if I’m shooting pistol only, I can fit two double stack pistol mags in the AR mag pouch section.

It’s been a while since a carbine course, but I would probably add a single Esstac AR pouch in that case (making two AR mag holders).

Tourniquet holders abound, I think the last one I bought was a horizontal Soileater. Makes sense at the front of a belt.

Holster…
Safariland mid ride UBL (notice a trend?) with QLS. I have a couple Safariland 6354DO’s modified for a Walther PPQ with X300U or TLR-1. Because they are on QLS mounts and can be switched quickly, I also picked up a no-light Ragnarok that I haven’t had a chance to use yet.
I also really like this thigh strap that integrates with the UBL. Need to get another. Worth it to get and install before with the holster/UBL. Do it all at once.
https://www.trex-arms.com/store/New-Thigh-Strap/
Side note, if you reconsidered and decided to go with the QLS system, they’ll assemble the UBL+strap+QLS before they send to you.

Beyond that, I do have a BFG dump pouch. It’s small. It works. It’s there just because.
https://www.blueforcegear.com/ten-speed-ultralight-dump-pouch.html

I also have a leather High Threat Concealment that has some BFG Ten-speed (belt) pistol and AR pouches plus dump pouch, as if I ever find myself in a situation that justifies carrying multiple mags semi concealed, I might as well look cool. …this has never been worn. But the BFG Ten-speed pouches are great for other items like a flashlight or multi tool.

Per above, #6, I ordered one. I would have just done the whole kit at the site you listed if I'd seen it sooner, thanx.

JediGuy
08-19-22, 17:50
I misread that… You’ll like it.

WillBrink
08-19-22, 17:53
I misread that… You’ll like it.

Their med bag and IFAK look good too. Pricy but looks like what you'd want, nothing you don't need and more than simple boo boo kit with bandaids and Motrin and such:

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/T-REX-ARMS-MED1-Pouch/

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/MED1-Pouch-Refill-Kit/

JediGuy
08-19-22, 20:45
They work hard at providing value.

As options:

https://www.blueforcegear.com/medical-items.html

henri
08-20-22, 11:08
The concept of a battle belt is interesting, I have seen individuals were them at several classes. My initial impression is that they were a bit cumbersome, heavy, and perhaps limited ones mobility. My spare rifle mags are carried in both rear cargo pants pockets, and pistol mags front pockets, AIWB holster, and that's it. So far this works quite well for me in classes and perhaps in any unforeseen untoward situation as well. Next class will experiment/borrow friends spare belt and see if it works for me, always willing to try something new :-)

08-20-22, 13:40
I’m issued a “low-viz”, a “light” and a “heavy” setup. Here is the light:
2x Tq, 2x pistol mag, dump pouch, Glock holster(latest version accommodates light and dot).
IFAK stuff is in the dangler and my pockets, with chest seals behind the plates. What works for me may not work for you.

Heavy (Crye Blast Belt) adds a real IFAK, and a SMG pouch for a MP5 or big Glock mag, and more armor coverage/pouches on PC.

JediGuy
08-20-22, 19:58
@1168
I noticed no AR mags on the belt. Normally just pull from the plate carrier?

08-21-22, 01:02
@1168
I noticed no AR mags on the belt. Normally just pull from the plate carrier?

Yes. I also have a couple spare pouches to wear if desired, and vehicles are littered with them.

vandal5
09-29-22, 16:31
Belt I got is linked in the OP. I have seen the Safariland system and it looks like winner, but I'm one primary pistol kinda guy and don't really need it. I am going to order a new holster for the HK VP9 and option to attach to the belt.What did you end up with for a holster for your VP9? I'm using one made for a sig 226 with x300/tlr-1.

Seems to be working okay for now but I know it was technically not made for it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

WillBrink
09-29-22, 16:39
What did you end up with for a holster for your VP9? I'm using one made for a sig 226 with x300/tlr-1.

Per recs by most here, Safariland ALS on QLS system. Kitting out that belt was way more $ than I'd expected, but buy once cry once I hope.

Pappabear
09-29-22, 16:54
What did you end up with for a holster for your VP9? I'm using one made for a sig 226 with x300/tlr-1.

Teir 1 and Hammer armament both make nice VP9 holsters , just an FYI and use the safariland above mentioned QLS etc.

PB

The_War_Wagon
09-29-22, 18:47
If you plan on losing a lotta weight, hang some suspenders on it - glad I added mine long before my stroke. Lost 65lbs & I've had to buy all new pants and belts - got too much sunk into my battlebelt to change it at the moment - so suspenders will hafta do me!!!

R0331
10-04-22, 12:16
Running and prefer the ATS battle belt. Keep 2 pistol mag pouches, 1 rifle, dump pouch, ifak, and a holster. I like the bigger padded belt. Wore a riggers belt with pouches and holster on a deployment. It was uncomfortable for longer foot patrols and I eventually stopped carrying stuff on that belt.

B Cart
10-04-22, 13:29
I've run a battle belt for many years, and refined how it's set up after many years of classes and training. I run a VTAC Brokos belt with a quick connect cobra buckle. On the left side of the belt i have two rifle mags, a pistol mag, and a CAT tourniquet. On the rear of the belt i have a trauma kit with second TQ, shears, and GSW specific trauma items, along with a dump pouch. On the right side i have a fixed blade knife, Glock 19 with RDS and WML, and flashlight. Everything is buttoned down tight, and I can easily wear my plate carrier without interference when needed.

So far it's been my preferred setup.

Defend Texas
10-16-22, 15:41
I use HSGI. Plenty of padding, two M4 mag pouches, large poogie pouch on back with large bandages and various other items with IFAK blowout kit. Fold up magpouch from Maxpedition on it as well. Not heavy at all and it allows prone shooting without any bulk.

TBAR_94
10-16-22, 16:45
I use the Safariland QLS system for my holster since I rotate out pistols. General belt kit is 2 pistol mags and 1 rifle in HSGI tacos, Blue Force gear trauma kit IFAK, and a multi-tool.

voiceofreason
10-23-22, 14:06
gun + 2 pistol mags + handheld flashlight + small IFAK

and optional:

+ rifle "happy" mag

+ large dump pouch (small ones are stupid unless you have tiny hands)

Entryteam
11-02-22, 13:12
Bigger guys get to hang more gear.
My skinny ass has room for a mid ride Safariland and a couple of rifle/pistol mags, I may be able to hang a flashlight.
Need a dump pouch though.

depending on what kind of pouches you run for your mags, you can attach the dump pounch under the pouches and have it open wide and just below them. That's what I do and it saves that belt real estate.

Hank6046
11-03-22, 10:38
Not that I have really trained with it much, but I put a JSTA Pouch on a belt with an Leatherman and additional mag, it also holds firestarting and lifestraw and sharpies. I wanted to take a scouting/patrol class in NC earlier this year but the logistics and timing just didn't work out, really like the concept of the JSTA for a LBE belt