PDA

View Full Version : piston conversion kits vs. piston uppers

30 cal slut
12-22-08, 11:39
i keep running into this topic of discussion without a full understanding of the "why's."

it seems the consensus favors dedicated complete gas piston uppers (HK416, LMT, etc) vs. a drop-in kit such as an Adams Arms conversion kit.

what is the reasoning behind this?

stability of the platform (example: gas blocks secured with screws vs. pins)?

individual designs?

strambo
12-22-08, 14:55
From what I can tell: There may be issues installing a retrofit correctly (unless it is one the company installs). The main issue seems to be how carrier tilt is addressed. Most dedicated uppers come with a bolt carrier that has a pad in the rear to address that. Also, my LMT piston came with the BC as a single part so there is nothing to break when the piston hits the gas key area.

If a retrofit is properly installed, has a solid BC/gas key and something to address carrier tilt, it should be the same I guess. I'm not nearly an expert, I haven't even shot my LMT yet. At least I can easily switch the barrel and BCG to a DI system and use the same upper if it doesn't work out (with the MRP platform).

Seth Harness
12-22-08, 15:51
From what I can tell: There may be issues installing a retrofit correctly (unless it is one the company installs). The main issue seems to be how carrier tilt is addressed. Most dedicated uppers come with a bolt carrier that has a pad in the rear to address that. Also, my LMT piston came with the BC as a single part so there is nothing to break when the piston hits the gas key area.

If a retrofit is properly installed, has a solid BC/gas key and something to address carrier tilt, it should be the same I guess. I'm not nearly an expert, I haven't even shot my LMT yet. At least I can easily switch the barrel and BCG to a DI system and use the same upper if it doesn't work out (with the MRP platform).

The only issue I see with addressing carrier tilt with the pads on the carrier is, the carrier still has to make the transition from the upper into the lower receiver extension. Thus potentialy beating up on the lip of the buffer tube/receiver extension, after the carrier is inside the tube its OK. Its just the transition that has me in dis-belief.
Sorry about bringing reference to this again, but stopping tilt from inside the tube before it happens seems to be the best fix as far as Im concerned.

Dave L.
12-22-08, 15:53
Nothing ****s up a good DI upper like a piston conversion.

strambo
12-22-08, 16:59
Sorry about bringing reference to this again, but stopping tilt from inside the tube before it happens seems to be the best fix as far as Im concerned.Then hurry up and get your product on the market! (that is you w/ the buffer in development correct?)

Anyway, the LMT rear of the carrier has a serious bevel on it. Seems like this would make any wear on the lip of the receiver extension minimal and it would quickly stop after the initial wear. The addtl. dia of the pads should keep the tilt from being severe enough to damage upper (it shouldn't let the top of the gas key hit the receiver) or damage the bolt lugs.

Of course, I don't know since I haven't shot it. Trusting LMT's R&D right now and their CS if it is messed up. I'll watch theses things like a hawk when I start shooting it. Since I'm deploying soon, it will no doubt be up to others with the LMT pistons to report problems, I won't shoot mine enough before then. I'll report any probs I have though.

Piston conversions and piston guns don't seem worth it for the most part unless a SBR or suppressed (or you just want one). I just got one because it was in stock and came attached to an MRP CQB upper!

Seth Harness
12-22-08, 19:15
Then hurry up and get your product on the market! (that is you w/ the buffer in development correct?)

Yep, thats me.
Im workin on it bud.

Back on topic...