PDA

View Full Version : You never know who to trust

P2Vaircrewman
08-20-22, 10:17
I am a member of the local American Legion post, been a member about 10 years, I am on the executive committee and post color bearer.
I have learned that for the most part motions are preplanned by the post commander and unanimously passed. The Commander can't make a motion but can ask a member to make one. The Commander is a retired navy Chief who did time on river patrol boats in Nam who claims to be a republican.
At the last meeting out of the blue he asked for someone to make a motion to not allow weapons in the meeting. Someone did and I firmly believe he pre arranged that someone. A second was made and vote was called all in about 30 seconds. Myself and others were caught completely by surprise by this. There was normal attendance of about 20+ member and there was 6 nays. The nays were by my recollection the most I have ever heard against a motion, usually it is one or two.
The next day I arranged a meeting with him and told him in no uncertain terms if this vote stands I am out of the post and it was directly opposite of the American Legion's stated stand on the 2nd amendment.
Several other members who voted nay also spoke with him the next day. He agreed to revisit the vote at the next meeting. We shall see
I might add that a recently passed Louisiana state law, effective this past August 1st allows honorably discharged veterans and active duty to conceal carry without a permit.

titsonritz
08-20-22, 15:56
I am a member of the local American Legion post, been a member about 10 years, I am on the executive committee and post color bearer.
I have learned that for the most part motions are preplanned by the post commander and unanimously passed. The Commander can't make a motion but can ask a member to make one. The Commander is a retired navy Chief who did time on river patrol boats in Nam who claims to be a republican.
At the last meeting out of the blue he asked for someone to make a motion to not allow weapons in the meeting. Someone did and I firmly believe he pre arranged that someone. A second was made and vote was called all in about 30 seconds. Myself and others were caught completely by surprise by this. There was normal attendance of about 20+ member and there was 6 nays. The nays were by my recollection the most I have ever heard against a motion, usually it is one or two.
The next day I arranged a meeting with him and told him in no uncertain terms if this vote stands I am out of the post and it was directly opposite of the American Legion's stated stand on the 2nd amendment.
Several other members who voted nay also spoke with him the next day. He agreed to revisit the vote at the next meeting. We shall see
I might add that a recently passed Louisiana state law, effective this past August 1st allows honorably discharged veterans and active duty to conceal carry without a permit.

My thoughts are both the American Legion post Commander and Louisiana state can and should do better.

lowprone
08-20-22, 19:54
Entire states have Constitutional carry, there is NO excuse for this or HIM.

SteyrAUG
08-20-22, 21:18
Honestly I'd part ways and have nothing further to do with them, not another dime and I'd make sure people knew why.

When people make these kinds of decisions for everyone else, it should cost.

titsonritz
08-20-22, 22:44
Honestly I'd part ways and have nothing further to do with them, not another dime and I'd make sure people knew why.

When people make these kinds of decisions for everyone else, it should cost.

For sure. Screw those people.

Jewell
08-22-22, 06:44
Unfortunately, I think it's already past time to leave. Not everyone has to like guns, I get that, but that doesn't mean that if you chose not to have/carry one, nobody else should either.

HKGuns
08-22-22, 07:17
Sure you do.

- Trust No one -

Not even family.

ST911
08-22-22, 07:54
I have learned that for the most part motions are preplanned by the post commander and unanimously passed. The Commander can't make a motion but can ask a member to make one. The Commander is a retired navy Chief who did time on river patrol boats in Nam who claims to be a republican. At the last meeting out of the blue he asked for someone to make a motion to not allow weapons in the meeting. Someone did and I firmly believe he pre arranged that someone. A second was made and vote was called all in about 30 seconds. Myself and others were caught completely by surprise by this. There was normal attendance of about 20+ member and there was 6 nays. The nays were by my recollection the most I have ever heard against a motion, usually it is one or two. The next day I arranged a meeting with him and told him in no uncertain terms if this vote stands I am out of the post and it was directly opposite of the American Legion's stated stand on the 2nd amendment. Several other members who voted nay also spoke with him the next day. He agreed to revisit the vote at the next meeting. We shall see I might add that a recently passed Louisiana state law, effective this past August 1st allows honorably discharged veterans and active duty to conceal carry without a permit.

Pre-planned discussion and decisions like this are normal for some bodies and meeting chairs.
Review your post bylaws and any bylaws applicable from the Dept of Louisiana governing meetings, rule and policy enactment, etc.
You might also call the Dept office and staff this with them.
You may be required to publish an agenda for a certain time period in advance of a meeting.
You're probably using Robert's Rules, which establish how agendas, motions, and discussions occur and what can be added or removed from a meeting.
Orgs tend to be little kingdoms, in this case importing old pecking orders and expectations.
Could this be badly done but more legit than realized, possible facility agreement, insurance requirement, or other external influence?
When you talk to the Dept level, I think there's an Americanism officer or something like that. He may be useful.

SteyrAUG
08-22-22, 16:17
Sure you do.

- Trust No one -

Not even family.

I trust my real friends who have proven themselves time and time again. Even without being asked, they are there.

I learned long ago, ignore most of what people say and watch what they actually do. But my "real" friends, there is almost nothing I wouldn't do for them and vice versa.

Diamondback
08-22-22, 17:35
I trust my real friends who have proven themselves time and time again. Even without being asked, they are there.

I learned long ago, ignore most of what people say and watch what they actually do. But my "real" friends, there is almost nothing I wouldn't do for them and vice versa.

I think one of my Psych profs once said "you will have maybe THREE true friends in your life, all the rest of us are just passing through."

ETA relevant movie clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIL62bsQPY

BVickery
08-22-22, 19:55
I think one of my Psych profs once said "you will have maybe THREE true friends in your life, all the rest of us are just passing through."

ETA relevant movie clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIL62bsQPY

I agree, I happen to have 2 who are both brothers. We kind of formed our own lil family.

AKDoug
08-23-22, 01:48
I agree, I happen to have 2 who are both brothers. We kind of formed our own lil family.

Same here. I trust those two friends more than my own brother.