PDA

View Full Version : Got A New Stick...Colt EPR

SteyrAUG
08-22-22, 21:58
https://i.imgur.com/Eje0K0B.jpg

Decided it was finally time to jump on the LPVO bandwagon. I thought the 6945/6940 was the ultimate rail system but I love the Centurion Mlok. My 6945 remains my standard "short stick" but I think I'm gonna like the EPR.

Optics USO 1-8 FFP
GG&G Quick Mount
SF M640 Scout

Straight Shooter
08-22-22, 22:08
DAMN, thats NICE.

Hammer_Man
08-22-22, 22:15
That’s pretty damn hot.

OutofBatt3ry
08-22-22, 22:46
Needs a tape switch = ) Shooting lefty happens.

Nice stick.

SteyrAUG
08-22-22, 23:10
Needs a tape switch = ) Shooting lefty happens.

Nice stick.

Despise tape switches, I'm also so right eye dominant I have to do that Izzy lean thing. I can also reach it with my thumb no matter which hand is up front. And if I end up shooting lefty, that's the least of my problems as I will be point shooting with Ray Charles accuracy.

OutofBatt3ry
08-22-22, 23:23
Despise tape switches, I'm also so right eye dominant I have to do that Izzy lean thing. I can also reach it with my thumb no matter which hand is up front. And if I end up shooting lefty, that's the least of my problems as I will be point shooting with Ray Charles accuracy.

Fair enough.

SteyrAUG
08-23-22, 00:32
Fair enough.

The most important consideration is Pelosi introduced a AW ban thus necessitating the purchase of yet another Colt on my part. You'd think they'd learn from the great Clinton and Obama gun sales.

So far the only thing I'm not 100% wild about is the ambi safety. It's not as positive "clickety clickety" as all of my other ARs but I suppose that is current config and it's not a big thing, I've had to work with shitter safties. The front magpul sight also seems kind of iffy, all of my other ARs have a A2 FSB except for my 6945 which has an excellent folder. I may or may not upgrade the folding BUIS depending upon how well they work.

I've got the optic set up as a QD so if whatever imaginary scenario happens I could ditch it and run irons, but that is pretty unlikely to happen. This will also be a "mostly outdoor" rifle as the optics and weight don't readily lend themselves to CQB stuff and I have 6945s and 6933s for that.

May or may not drop a bipod on it, I have to see if performance justifies it and it's already a tad heavy.

DoubleW
08-23-22, 05:10
What about the Magpul PRO front sight is “iffy”? I’ve found the several I have to be quite robust, precise and extremely easy to adjust. They’re nitrided steel so not sure how they’re “iffy”. Nice rifle though! I just picked up one of the Colt Fed Patrol rifles with the Geissele Mk4 rail.

HKGuns
08-23-22, 07:03
Great choices and looks very nice.

How is the eyebox on that USO 1-8?

I refuse to put those plastic magpul irons on any of my rifles, if that is what you have......The metal versions seem ok, but have never used them.

I too despise tape switches and roll with the push button on any lighted weapons just like you are........also good choice in my view.

SteyrAUG
08-23-22, 18:29
What about the Magpul PRO front sight is “iffy”? I’ve found the several I have to be quite robust, precise and extremely easy to adjust. They’re nitrided steel so not sure how they’re “iffy”. Nice rifle though! I just picked up one of the Colt Fed Patrol rifles with the Geissele Mk4 rail.

I might be wrong, I thought they were plastic. Just first impressions.

SteyrAUG
08-23-22, 18:36
Great choices and looks very nice.

How is the eyebox on that USO 1-8?

I refuse to put those plastic magpul irons on any of my rifles, if that is what you have......The metal versions seem ok, but have never used them.

I too despise tape switches and roll with the push button on any lighted weapons just like you are........also good choice in my view.

So the scope is pretty fast with decent eye relief, especially on 1x. Probably not as fast as an Aimpoint but for me faster than a T1.

Hard learning to use a scope tube as a red dot, for some reason my AUG is still faster. I think it's the longer scope tube. But I think once I get it outdoors to the range I'll get a better feel for it.

OutofBatt3ry
08-23-22, 20:11

I'd +1 that. The Magpul Pros are the best flip-ups, IMO. The front post is tiny, so if you have the eyes, most accurate irons I use. On scoped guns I just deleted the BUIS.

SteyrAUG
08-23-22, 21:23
I'd +1 that. The Magpul Pros are the best flip-ups, IMO. The front post is tiny, so if you have the eyes, most accurate irons I use. On scoped guns I just deleted the BUIS.

Good to know, something I won't need to replace. Should have realized Colt would do it right and with this rifle I can honestly say "sum of the parts" compared to purchase price make the EPR one of the better buys I've seen in awhile.

Also worked out that the front post was so slim that I was able to pull off a top rail mount with the SF scout with it hugging the front sight.

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-23-22, 22:14
I love it. No frills, but just enough frills.

SteyrAUG
08-23-22, 23:03
I love it. No frills, but just enough frills.

If I don't need it, it ain't going on the rifle.

the AR-15 Junkie
08-24-22, 06:03
Maybe I am mis-understanding the conversation about the skinny front sight post but on those Metal Magpuls the front sight post can be turned 90* and the wider side can be used. It was designed that way.

The rear windage knob on the metal magpuls can be extremely difficult to turn, here is the solution I came up with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5x3rULLPxGQ

SteyrAUG
08-24-22, 06:43
Maybe I am mis-understanding the conversation about the skinny front sight post but on those Metal Magpuls the front sight post can be turned 90* and the wider side can be used. It was designed that way.

The rear windage knob on the metal magpuls can be extremely difficult to turn, here is the solution I came up with.

Pretty cool trick. But the FSP is slim compared to a standard A2 regardless. I had no idea they rotated. That's for the rear sight adjustment tool.

Hank6046
08-24-22, 20:09
@Steyr
Let me know how you like that USO 1-8x, I've been looking at some other options in 1-8 but never really find anything I want with the combination of Daylight bright and weight

SteyrAUG
08-24-22, 21:33
@Steyr
Let me know how you like that USO 1-8x, I've been looking at some other options in 1-8 but never really find anything I want with the combination of Daylight bright and weight

Getting it to the range this friday. So far do dry fire drills on electrical outlets around the house it's pretty nice.

georgeib
08-24-22, 21:55
Pretty cool trick. But the FSP is slim compared to a standard A2 regardless. I had no idea they rotated. That's for the rear sight adjustment tool.

You will need to raise the FSP up multiple turns before you can rotate it to the wide face (which is A2 width) and then lower it back down to the correct height. Requires re-zeroing unfortunately.

Entryteam
08-26-22, 15:12

Decided it was finally time to jump on the LPVO bandwagon. I thought the 6945/6940 was the ultimate rail system but I love the Centurion Mlok. My 6945 remains my standard "short stick" but I think I'm gonna like the EPR.

Optics USO 1-8 FFP
GG&G Quick Mount
SF M640 Scout

I have that upper and love it.

yoni
08-26-22, 15:51
What reticle did you get?

henri
08-26-22, 15:59
Cool looking weapon..enjoy !

SteyrAUG
08-26-22, 17:52
What reticle did you get?

JNG MIL Reticle

Stickman
08-28-22, 16:15

Optics USO 1-8 FFP
GG&G Quick Mount
SF M640 Scout

Absolutely fantastic setup! Thank you for not getting a tape switch and being one of those guys who sets it off accidentally when they swear they never do.

SteyrAUG
08-29-22, 00:05
Absolutely fantastic setup! Thank you for not getting a tape switch and being one of those guys who sets it off accidentally when they swear they never do.

I was one of those guys who accidentally flash photo'd the tape switch, usually at the wrong time. After about a dozen times I pulled it. Also the wiring network required for a tape switch and the protection it needs to not get wrecked, combined with what is necessary to replace batteries all had me dumping tape switches almost from the beginning as soon as better options existed.

They are the three point slings of illumination. I understand why they exist, but once people produced a better setup you dumped them.

Beat Trash
08-29-22, 08:37

Thanks for the video on your use of the Aimpoint Micro tool. That’s brilliant…

JiminAZ
09-05-22, 17:38
So how'd it shoot?

SteyrAUG
09-05-22, 22:14
So how'd it shoot?

We got rained out, no range report yet.

Blankstrap
09-15-22, 12:44

Decided it was finally time to jump on the LPVO bandwagon. I thought the 6945/6940 was the ultimate rail system but I love the Centurion Mlok. My 6945 remains my standard "short stick" but I think I'm gonna like the EPR.What's the barrel profile? I assumed Colt'd use their standard M4/Government barrel from the regular 6920, but several sites selling the EPR upper list it as a "medium contour"; one customer rep at an online seller insisted it was not government profile but couldn't quite explain what it was.

SteyrAUG
09-15-22, 18:06
What's the barrel profile? I assumed Colt'd use their standard M4/Government barrel from the regular 6920, but several sites selling the EPR upper list it as a "medium contour"; one customer rep at an online seller insisted it was not government profile but couldn't quite explain what it was.

Looks exactly like a 6920 barrel to me. Had lots of people decide to buy EPRs during the Pelosi ban threat, all of them had exactly the same barrel.

This rifle reminds me of the 6945, it's one of those "buy it and be done" rifles. There was very little I had to add to either one beyond weapon lights, optics and slings.

RHINOWSO
09-15-22, 18:19
If it's a 6920, it would be a normal carbine barrel with the FSB shaved down. 6960s marketed have a midlength barrel with the same FSB shaved down.

I have both uppers with Centurion Rails and they are great rifles.

SteyrAUG
09-15-22, 22:42
If it's a 6920, it would be a normal carbine barrel with the FSB shaved down. 6960s marketed have a midlength barrel with the same FSB shaved down.

I have both uppers with Centurion Rails and they are great rifles.

It looks like it has that M4 step in the barrel, so wouldn't that be a 6920? I would actually love it if it was a mid length barrel.

DoubleW
09-16-22, 09:49
It looks like it has that M4 step in the barrel, so wouldn't that be a 6920? I would actually love it if it was a mid length barrel.

The EPR is a carbine length, gov’t profile (6920) barrel. Only the 6960, which also wears a Centurion rail, has a midlength gas system currently from Colt.

Blankstrap
09-16-22, 15:03
The EPR is a carbine length, gov’t profile (6920) barrel. Only the 6960, which also wears a Centurion rail, has a midlength gas system currently from Colt.This my understanding, although the Government profile barrel used in the 6920 has M203 cutouts, it's an M4 profile. Gas block is a shaved FSB, as RHINOSWO notes.

The 6960 (CCU), along with being midlength, has a lightweight barrel contour somewhere between a pencil and Government profile.

I called Colt and they confirmed the M4 profile on all EPR uppers shipped from the factory. Not sure why there's confusion among online resellers. Thanks to all for chiming in on the question.

SteyrAUG
12-20-22, 00:11
So I FINALLY managed to get my ass to the range. Of course I wait for a day when it is 9 degrees to do it.

Had to wait until my arm was recovered enough for a range day. Only got about 200 rounds through it, was kinda cold today.

So just some first impressions.

1. Seriously SOFT shooter. This is a bit heavier than most of the SBRs I usually shoot so it felt like almost no recoil but still a pretty handy carbine.

2. I finally got a non EO red dot I like. I normally despise tube scopes but I'm gonna like this one. Unlike most bench scopes, the LPVO setup is pretty fast. I can go from 1x offhand to a quick 5-6x supported position faster than I can do a mag change and that's kinda cool.

3. Zero failures / malfs and that should hardly be surprising since I only fired 200 rounds.

4. 5x supported makes me far more accurate than I actually am. But I was only shooting about 75 yards so again no surprises there.

5. When you've been shooting everything suppressed the last 10 years, a 16" barrel AR seems loud.

Can't wait for better weather so I can start shooting regularly.

Johnny Rico
12-23-22, 19:21
Very nice. I just picked up the poor cousin's upper to that rifle, the Colt Trooper.

SteyrAUG
12-24-22, 17:27
Very nice. I just picked up the poor cousin's upper to that rifle, the Colt Trooper.

Everything is upgradable. The rail is the main advantage over previous carbines.

Johnny Rico
12-24-22, 17:57
Did you say upgrade? What kind of FFL are you? Shouldn't you be encouraging me to get another rather than upgrading? ;)

In all seriousness, I got the Trooper so that I could have a beater/loaner. The rail that it comes with is more than sufficient for that purpose.

Question is, would you recommend the EPR over the 6960 or the 6720? One of those is my likely "next" AR.

ABNAK
12-24-22, 18:33
Did you say upgrade? What kind of FFL are you? Shouldn't you be encouraging me to get another rather than upgrading? ;)

In all seriousness, I got the Trooper so that I could have a beater/loaner. The rail that it comes with is more than sufficient for that purpose.

Question is, would you recommend the EPR over the 6960 or the 6720? One of those is my likely "next" AR.

I haven't looked lately but are either one still in production?

Johnny Rico
12-24-22, 18:52
Good question. The 6960 still is. The 6720, apparently not.

JediGuy
12-24-22, 19:13
Is the 6960 still midlength?

ABNAK
12-24-22, 19:28
Is the 6960 still midlength?

Yes it is.

ABNAK
12-24-22, 19:32
Good question. The 6960 still is. The 6720, apparently not.

Here is a CR6960 for $1131:

https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product/Details/11462639

It's not the 6960 CCU but from what I can see the only difference is the CCU uses the Magpul Slimline stock and the one I linked has a regular M4 stock. For that price I'd just buy the Magpul stock to make it a CCU.

FWIW I do not believe the lowers were ever marked 6960 CCU or even 6960. I think they were all marked M4 Carbine.

grizzman
12-24-22, 23:59
I'm not sure how the 6960's lowers were marked, but I'm pretty sure they came with ambi safeties. I bought my 6960 upper from Brownells and paired it with one of the ~$200 complete lowers from Brownells....and added my preferred Radian ambi safety.

SteyrAUG
12-25-22, 01:33

You already have the same rail I do. By upgrades I meant maybe a B5 stock, BUIS, weapon light, etc.

Stickman
12-26-22, 16:21
Did you say upgrade?

It could be the whiskey talking... but I think trigger, stock, sights, muzzle device, getting a sling and an optic when I think upgrading your blaster. Its going to need some form of cash donations to get it into fighting shape, even if its just mags, ammo, or some form of sighting system.

ABNAK
12-26-22, 17:23
It could be the whiskey talking... but I think trigger $240 for a Geissele if that is your choice, stock B5 maybe $60, sights $180 for quality BUIS, muzzle device $100 for a decent one, getting a sling and an optic Now there is the big bucks.....Aimpoint PRO all the way up to ACOG or LPVO when I think upgrading your blaster. Its going to need some form of cash donations to get it into fighting shape, even if its just mags, ammo, or some form of sighting system.

Yeah depending on what you get for all those "add-ons" you're looking at maybe a minimum of $1K (that's with an Aimpoint Pro). Kick your optic choice up a few notches and $2K+ is easy. It's an expensive hobby.

Ever have a weapon that you got for a decent price, of decent reliability, and just swore that THIS one was finally going to be a "beater". Minimal cleaning, just irons, etc......BTDT, and I still can't tell you which one it is! :rolleyes:

Johnny Rico
12-26-22, 19:07
It could be the whiskey talking... but I think trigger, stock, sights, muzzle device, getting a sling and an optic when I think upgrading your blaster. Its going to need some form of cash donations to get it into fighting shape, even if its just mags, ammo, or some form of sighting system.

That goes without saying, mags and ammo are par for the course with any firearm.

Ever have a weapon that you got for a decent price, of decent reliability, and just swore that THIS one was finally going to be a "beater". Minimal cleaning, just irons, etc......BTDT, and I still can't tell you which one it is! :rolleyes:

Y'all are too much. :D I'm trying to keep my cash investment in this one to a minimum. I was able to find a set of Troys for $110. I'm probably going to move my M4s to this one and pick up a newer Aimpoint Duty or an LPVO for my Sionics, I haven't decided. I'm going to keep it simple and mount one of my spare 6Ps with a Malkoff for a light. A Frank Proctor sling and a blem BCM lower I had lying around will complete the package.

It'll do for a beater/loaner. Nowhere close to a lightweight gun, I'm gonna call this one The Mule. :laugh:

SteyrAUG
12-27-22, 06:44
Yeah depending on what you get for all those "add-ons" you're looking at maybe a minimum of $1K (that's with an Aimpoint Pro). Kick your optic choice up a few notches and $2K+ is easy. It's an expensive hobby.

My first Colt SP1 carbine. I put a sling on it an done. Years later I got one of those Colt 3X carry handle optics.