PDA

View Full Version : DD MFR and heat

odugrad
08-23-22, 13:40
I've got a Daniel Defense 14.5 rifle with MFR rail. My friend has an 11.5 Daniel Defense with MFR. I've noticed both seem to get really hot around the 70-80 round mark. They both have the rubbery Magpul rail covers. I don't recall having any other rifles that heat up so fast. Anyone have the same experience or insight? Thanks!

08-23-22, 13:48
I've got a Daniel Defense 14.5 rifle with MFR rail. My friend has an 11.5 Daniel Defense with MFR. I've noticed both seem to get really hot around the 70-80 round mark. They both have the rubbery Magpul rail covers. I don't recall having any other rifles that heat up so fast. Anyone have the same experience or insight? Thanks!

I’ve had that experience with lightweight MLOK rails. I like the non-rubbery Magpul covers, but really, I’ve gone back to quads when I have the option. Second best is a larger-ish MLOK rail; maybe the MFR XL might fit the bill.

Many of my friends have noted this problem, also, and it is a concern with the URGI.

What are the other rifles that you have/had as a basis of comparison?

markm
08-23-22, 13:49
No direct experience, but my 14.5 ELW BCM middy will do the same because of the light barrel and slim profile. It heats up faster, but also cools down faster. Is the barrel/handguard relatively thin compared to your other set ups?

kirkland
08-23-22, 20:11
Another advantage of the "full retard" grip.
No need to worry about burning yourself on the rail.

odugrad
08-23-22, 21:10
I've got BCM MCMR rails, DDM4 rails, Geissele rails, RIS II. But I have BCM rail covers on all of those. Could that make that much of a difference?

08-24-22, 00:53
I've got BCM MCMR rails, DDM4 rails, Geissele rails, RIS II. But I have BCM rail covers on all of those. Could that make that much of a difference?

That’s interesting…. I would expect the MCMR to get hot about as quickly as the MFR, maybe worse. Which G rail? Are there significant barrel profile differences? I’ve found that barrels matter for this sometimes, having a few URX4s.

Y’know, I find the dong to work fairly well (ergonomically) on very short handguards, which is great, because once you put a light and laser on it you need something to hang onto anyway. Anything longer than “stupid”, I really prefer a parallel gripping surface.

El Vaquero
08-24-22, 13:39
I’ve got a DD 11.5 with MFR rail. Have had it for several years and shoot it in Texas heat. I’ve been using Ergo MLOK rail covers and they work well. They’re nice and thick. I placed them on the 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions which lets the heat from the barrel still escape. I also shoot suppressed which increases heat.

https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/m-lok-wedgelok-slot-cover-grip-4-pack/

The issue I’ve had with the rail (most likely from the heat) are the screws loosening at the base plate. When I installed the rail years I ago I installed it to manufacturing specs (no loctite, per specs at that time). Rail came loose. Called DD they were like, yeah now we’re recommending loctite. Installed with loctite. Stayed tight for a couple of years then loosened again. Re-applied loctite, more generously, and haven’t had any issues. But my trust in it is broken and I see the horizontal four screw pattern as a flawed design. But I am hard on it because it is a duty rifle so your mileage may very.

odugrad
08-24-22, 19:15
My DD has a government profile and the BCM is an ELW barrel. I've got rail covers all around the rail.

08-25-22, 02:07
I’ve got a DD 11.5 with MFR rail. Have had it for several years and shoot it in Texas heat. I’ve been using Ergo MLOK rail covers and they work well. They’re nice and thick. I placed them on the 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions which lets the heat from the barrel still escape. I also shoot suppressed which increases heat.

https://www.ergogrips.net/shop/m-lok-wedgelok-slot-cover-grip-4-pack/

The issue I’ve had with the rail (most likely from the heat) are the screws loosening at the base plate. When I installed the rail years I ago I installed it to manufacturing specs (no loctite, per specs at that time). Rail came loose. Called DD they were like, yeah now we’re recommending loctite. Installed with loctite. Stayed tight for a couple of years then loosened again. Re-applied loctite, more generously, and haven’t had any issues. But my trust in it is broken and I see the horizontal four screw pattern as a flawed design. But I am hard on it because it is a duty rifle so your mileage may very. For my own curiosity, does it live in a car (vibration)?

Those Ergo covers are good, too. I had a gun that would get crazy hot for some reason, in like a couple mags, much hotter than other barrels of similar profile. That gun started with Magpul Type 2s, and I ended up having to use trimmed Ergos to fill the 45s in the area I gripped. Yeah, I know that seals in some heat, but it was the only way I found to make the gun tolerable.

My DD has a government profile and the BCM is an ELW barrel. I've got rail covers all around the rail. I’m stumped. Best I can say is maybe consider swapping it for a DD quad or MFR XL, particularly if they bolt up.

lysander
08-25-22, 09:19

Tests with thermocouples on the regular old double lined plastic handguards shows the outside plastic can get to 300 F after 280 rounds fired semi-automatically at a rate of 1 round per second. The aluminum liners reach maximum temperatures of just under 600 F (depending on location, breech end vs sight end).

A black anodized rail will be a little further away from the barrel than the handguard liners and more massive, this means more heat can be absorbed for a given temperature rise, however, being black, they will absorb more radiated heat rather than reflect it like the shiny liners.

It looks like aluminum rails will, on average, heat up at a rate of 1.5 to 2.0 degrees per second when shooting at 1 round per second.

pointblank4445
08-25-22, 11:24

Odd that the handstop hand position is almost identical to the afg hand position yet one is an illustration of "right" and the other "wrong"

Personally, a big fan of :
https://triadtactical.com/rifle-forend-wrap/

helps against both heat and cold (for you non fair-weather shooters)
helps with interfacing with rigid barriers/barricades
doesn't add much to overall rail diameter

Defaultmp3
08-25-22, 11:35
Odd that the handstop hand position is almost identical to the afg hand position yet one is an illustration of "right" and the other "wrong"Note the position of the wrist. That's where the issue lies with just the handstop in theory (not that I use an AFG, or handstop).

pointblank4445
08-25-22, 11:45
Note the position of the wrist. That's where the issue lies with just the handstop in theory (not that I use an AFG, or handstop).

Ah...didn't notice that with the scientific "buy our crap" marketing lines.

I don't like junk on the bottom either