PDA

View Full Version : P-Mag question

Slater
08-24-22, 20:08
This stems from one of those "conversations with the gun store counter guy" about mags. I had thought that the Gen 3 PMags were a bit structurally stronger than the Gen 2's. He said (to the effect) that the Gen 3, while having some improvements, wasn't any stronger than the Gen 2. Was he correct?

VIP3R 237
08-24-22, 20:17
Iirc the polymer compound was changed to make it stronger and more temperature stable over the M2’s.

ndmiller
08-24-22, 20:21
I think there were specific differences between Gen 2 and 3, to name some added dot matrix, aggressive texture, new follower, inserting overstop and some adjustments for weapon compatibility. While they may also be better made, can't say I've ever seen Magpul claim stronger or better made.

Smarter people here can chime in but I also don't think strength was an issue with either generation, they're both pretty tough.

mack7.62
08-24-22, 21:58
Magpul does a lot of research on polymer's, then you have to consider the temperature extreme testing to meet the mil-spec, -60 to +140 I think. Gen 2's are good Magpul says Gen 3's are better so I will take their word for it. The Gen 2's are not compatible with HK mag wells so moving the overstop to the front fixed this problem.

jackblack73
08-24-22, 22:38
Magpul did update the polymer with the gen 3s, but I've read that they updated the gen 2s by using the new polymer formula. I did a search and found reference to it, but not by any Magpul reps.

titsonritz
08-24-22, 22:39
-Increased durability. The Gen 3 PMAGs are made of a stronger polymer (see below) that holds up better to wear and impact. They have a different follower that is grey in color compared to the brown follower on the Gen 2.

https://www.bigtexordnance.com/differences-between-gen-2-gen-3-magpul-pmags/

Disciple
08-24-22, 22:40
Iirc the polymer compound was changed to make it stronger and more temperature stable over the M2’s.

The M2's used the new polymer after the M3 release.

M2 now uses the M3 polymer, but there are other things that really maximize that polymer in the M3 design. Apart from the physical features, like the overinsertion stop that helps in full weapon drop performance, extra texture, dot matrix, slimmer floorplate, and the SA-80/old 416 magwell compatibility, the M3s drop free in tighter mag wells, are a bit more durable across the spectrum, but especially cold, and the internal geometry is slightly different for round stack and follower, which results in improved reliability, but it may be an academic amount for most users with most ammunition types in any normal conditions. M2 meets or exceeds the best USGI performance. M3 is pretty much flawless.

The crossover started in late 2012, with the release of the M3. The new material was a small but measurable improvement when used in the M2 without the rest of the M3 changes. It's nothing that makes the older formula obsolete...that magazine and polymer was used in millions of magazines in combat service.

Sand is the same base with some different compounding, and was an evolutionary step in getting to MCT. Sand is actually the strongest by a small margin. MCT and black are equivalent, with maybe a slight edge to MCT that is really in the noise.

titsonritz
08-24-22, 22:40
Whatever gun counter guy. :no:

Alpha-17
08-25-22, 08:01
This stems from one of those "conversations with the gun store counter guy" about mags. I had thought that the Gen 3 PMags were a bit structurally stronger than the Gen 2's. He said (to the effect) that the Gen 3, while having some improvements, wasn't any stronger than the Gen 2. Was he correct?

Did this gun store counter guy happen to have a bunch of Gen 2 mags he was trying to sell you by chance?

Slater
08-25-22, 15:21
Did this gun store counter guy happen to have a bunch of Gen 2 mags he was trying to sell you by chance?

No, but they had a bumper crop of Mission First Tactical mags that didn't seem to be moving.

Disciple
08-25-22, 15:42
Whatever gun counter guy. :no:

If this is a response to my post you are disagreeing with Duane Liptak, Jr. whom I quoted.

markm
08-25-22, 15:47
If this is a response to my post you are disagreeing with Duane Liptak, Jr. whom I quoted.

The original post mentioned a gun counter guy.

titsonritz
08-25-22, 16:38

What @markm said.

JediGuy
08-25-22, 17:18

Thanks for finding that, I must not have saved. But knew it existed.