PDA

View Full Version : Delving into design

rero360
08-24-22, 22:33
Years ago I built a 12.5” AR pistol and mounted a DBAL on it. I never got used to the laser being on top of that short little handguard so I designed a mount that sticks the laser in front of the handguard and closer to the barrel. I had a buddy 3D print it, tweaked the design and had him reprint it.

Since then I’ve contemplated how to manufacture it and bring it to market. The other day I decided that my best course of action at this point in time is to find a company to make and sell them for me, with me either receiving a percentage of sales or a lump sum for the rights to the design. So far I’ve reached out to 19 companies, and have received 4 responses, two saying they don’t accept unsolicited offers/designs, one saying they are absolutely swamped with no end in sight, and one saying it has been forwarded to their R&D department.

I thought I’d make this thread to document my process with this endeavor for others to benefit from lessons learned.

I’ve looked into patenting my design but I can’t afford the fees and I make too much to receive pro-bono assistance.

Diamondback
08-25-22, 01:08
Safe bet that the one forwarding o R&D is already patenting and cutting you out. Have you tried FCD or Arisaka?

rero360
08-25-22, 07:51
Safe bet that the one forwarding o R&D is already patenting and cutting you out. Have you tried FCD or Arisaka?

I did email Arisaka, never heard of FCD before, I’ll reach out to them as well. In my emails to all the companies I have just given a brief description of the part, no pictures, drawings, or models.

Diamondback
08-25-22, 09:14
I did email Arisaka, never heard of FCD before, I’ll reach out to them as well. In my emails to all the companies I have just given a brief description of the part, no pictures, drawings, or models.

Forward Controls Design, Duffy here (Roger Wang, IIRC) runs the shop. Might try PM here first to make contact.

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-25-22, 10:32
Patent law is crazy, but if you sent that with out a secrecy agreement, you’ve lost some rights to it. Either to patent it or challenge them if they patent it.

I just got into a dust-up with our patent lawyers. Even make a lawyer paid by the word to shut up? I did.

Wildcat
08-25-22, 14:51
Now that the US has switched to "First to File", the original inventor may have a harder time winning that battle.