PDA

View Full Version : Markings on the new Colt M4A1 government property marked SOCOM 14.5"

okie
08-28-22, 01:19
I couldn't help myself. Turned out to be kind of a mixed bag it seems, but the important parts are mostly Colt.

The good: Genuine SOCOM barrel, KAC RAS with all the goodies, C marked carrier, MPC marked bolt, Schmid FCG, bronze extractor spring, ambi safety.

The bad: upper receiver unmarked, extractor unmarked, pinned flash hider.

Overall, I would say this is an excellent buy in today's market. Considering the accessories it comes with, the rifle itself you're getting from somewhere between maybe a grand and 1200 or so. The KAC RAS even used are going for upwards of 300 now. The only thing I might have to change is the unmarked extractor, but factory extractors are easy to find and cheap. Very strange they used their own bolts and carriers but not their own extractors.

Not sure how to feel about the government property mark. I'm not sure if these were overruns for an LE contract that stipulated they be marked that way, or if this was Colt's marketing department finally getting wise. The latter isn't their style, but who knows, maybe they've gotten more commercial since being taken over by CZ. In true Colt fashion though they still left the forge flashing on the inside of the trigger guard.

https://i.imgur.com/5ceDkVH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/h5GB55F.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/age2iLw.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tPPsLqm.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/BETsXWt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wsOwL0P.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SmqK0jU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lnRwtse.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/mLkjYsH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/cY7Os4U.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/WKHiJ4R.jpg

For reference, this is the gun in question that I purchased: https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M4A1-SOCOM-Carbine-US-Govt-Property-Marked-p/le6920socom.htm

SteyrAUG
08-28-22, 01:39
These were never military rifles, if they were they'd have a third selector marking and a "no no" hole. LE contracts also never have a US Property mark so these were NOT LE over runs.

These are just another civie line where they took used M4s and rebuilt them on a dedicated "semi only" receiver and decided to add US government markings for sales appeal. They also added some non spec parts probably to help make it cost effective.

Essentially it's a parts kit gun, but a decent one because the barrel is domestic and isn't covered under the barrel ban. But once you swap out the "goober parts" you are gonna have something really nice and far superior to the Colt "retro series."

Stopsign32v
08-28-22, 08:22
Look at the color difference between the lower and upper.

I miss the early 2010's Colt rifles.

08-28-22, 10:04
It’s a Colt. Same quality as anything else they make. It has a Colt extractor, markings vary.

The property of US government would be a hard no from me though.

okie
08-28-22, 10:15
Look at the color difference between the lower and upper.

I miss the early 2010's Colt rifles.

Yea I still think tracking down an all correct used one is still the best bet, but some if not most people refuse to buy used, for reasons...

Playing devil's advocate though, SOCOM barreled versions are very hard to come by. The vast majority of the 2010 era LEs have 16 inch gov profile barrels. I have no doubt they're just as good since they came from the same blanks, but the SOCOM barrels are pretty special in their own regard.

okie
08-28-22, 10:17
These were never military rifles, if they were they'd have a third selector marking and a "no no" hole. LE contracts also never have a US Property mark so these were NOT LE over runs.

These are just another civie line where they took used M4s and rebuilt them on a dedicated "semi only" receiver and decided to add US government markings for sales appeal. They also added some non spec parts probably to help make it cost effective.

Essentially it's a parts kit gun, but a decent one because the barrel is domestic and isn't covered under the barrel ban. But once you swap out the "goober parts" you are gonna have something really nice and far superior to the Colt "retro series."

I see no signs that anything is used. Unless they refinished the parts...

Also, if these were rebuilt M4s then they would have M4 upper receivers.

Slater
08-28-22, 11:55
Is this the same model that was on the market a few years ago?:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-ar-15-socom-carbine-223556-161-301-knights-rail-forend

okie
08-28-22, 13:08
Is this the same model that was on the market a few years ago?:

https://www.colt.com/detail-page/colt-ar-15-socom-carbine-223556-161-301-knights-rail-forend

Sure looks like it

SteyrAUG
08-28-22, 15:46
It’s a Colt. Same quality as anything else they make. It has a Colt extractor, markings vary.

The property of US government would be a hard no from me though.

Why, I've got a bunch of 1911s marked as such? Also it's not an M-16 receiver with a "no no" hole. It could say "Galactic Army of Jupiter" on it.

SteyrAUG
08-28-22, 15:49
I see no signs that anything is used. Unless they refinished the parts...

Also, if these were rebuilt M4s then they would have M4 upper receivers.

What am I missing? I thought it was an M4 upper? Or are we talking about barrel profile being heavier under the guard?

These are builds for collectors, when I said "parts kit" rifles, didn't mean to imply old and used.

Slater
08-28-22, 16:03
For those that recall, there was a 2013 M4A1 SOCOM edition. Markings were somewhat different and it had a 16-inch SOCOM-profile barrel. Had the KAC rail, but at some point Colt switched to the Troy rail. Some folks had heartburn over this because the gun was the same price despite the cheaper Troy rail.

Molon
08-28-22, 16:07
What am I missing? I thought it was an M4 upper? Or are we talking about barrel profile being heavier under the guard?

These are builds for collectors, when I said "parts kit" rifles, didn't mean to imply old and used.
Your exact words were . . .

These are just another civie line where they took used M4s and rebuilt them

okie
08-28-22, 20:32

My understanding is that they're legit SOCOM barrels. 14.5" and caged coded. The upper receiver however is just some generic one, so while the barrels are real the uppers are not real M4 uppers as it were. They were purpose built for this rifle from actual SOCOM barrels, which I'm assuming they had too many of and needed to offload.

That doesn't really bother me, though. If I were super anal about it, which I'm not, I would switch it out for a cage coded receiver. Totally irrelevant to me though as I'm only interested in it as a shooter, not as a clone. All I care about is that the bolt and barrel are gtg, and they definitely are.

Honestly, for anyone who doesn't have a real Colt at this point, I would say this is about as good as it's going to get. They should probably jump on one of these before Colt fully descends back into the commercial hell from whence it came. I certainly hope for better, but my gut feeling is that before long Colt ARs are just going to be some generic subcontracted POS with a pony stamped on them. I seriously hope I'm wrong, but that seems to be the direction they're headed.

Slater
08-28-22, 21:08
Aren't the AR-15A4's just a collection of subcontracted parts?

okie
08-28-22, 21:18
Aren't the AR-15A4's just a collection of subcontracted parts?

Sorry, I don't know anything about those at all. Does the M16 as a service weapon even exist at this point though? I know there are probably still some in inventory, but is Colt actually delivering new ones still?

SteyrAUG
08-28-22, 23:58
Your exact words were . . .

Glad I clarified because that isn't what I meant. Should have used "existing", not "used."

SteyrAUG
08-29-22, 00:00
Sorry, I don't know anything about those at all. Does the M16 as a service weapon even exist at this point though? I know there are probably still some in inventory, but is Colt actually delivering new ones still?

Last I heard, to the Marines as the A4.

Slater
08-29-22, 06:25
AR15A4 = Current Colt civvie A4

opngrnd
08-29-22, 08:44

Yes, but it's in limited use. It's officially almost completely phased out, but some organizations found ways to keep a few.

08-29-22, 11:38
My understanding is that they're legit SOCOM barrels. 14.5" and caged coded. The upper receiver however is just some generic one, so while the barrels are real the uppers are not real M4 uppers as it were. They were purpose built for this rifle from actual SOCOM barrels, which I'm assuming they had too many of and needed to offload.

That doesn't really bother me, though. If I were super anal about it, which I'm not, I would switch it out for a cage coded receiver. Totally irrelevant to me though as I'm only interested in it as a shooter, not as a clone. All I care about is that the bolt and barrel are gtg, and they definitely are.

Honestly, for anyone who doesn't have a real Colt at this point, I would say this is about as good as it's going to get. They should probably jump on one of these before Colt fully descends back into the commercial hell from whence it came. I certainly hope for better, but my gut feeling is that before long Colt ARs are just going to be some generic subcontracted POS with a pony stamped on them. I seriously hope I'm wrong, but that seems to be the direction they're headed.

Can you explain to me the cage code thing? Is it not a real M4 upper if it doesn’t say “13629”, or is it the lack of a “C”?

okie
08-29-22, 13:29
Can you explain to me the cage code thing? Is it not a real M4 upper if it doesn’t say “13629”, or is it the lack of a “C”?

It's either or.

MistWolf
08-30-22, 02:10

Colt only sold the civilian SOCOM US PROPERTY lowers as part of complete rifles. The rifle Okie linked to was manufactured by Colt.

Okie, did you get yours from armsunlimited.com? If not, where did you get it?

okie
08-30-22, 03:23
Colt only sold the civilian SOCOM US PROPERTY lowers as part of complete rifles. The rifle Okie linked to was manufactured by Colt.

Okie, did you get yours from armsunlimited.com? If not, where did you get it?

Indeed I did. Just a few weeks ago. Was a complete rifle, non SBR due to the pin and weld.

Hammer_Man
08-30-22, 23:48
For those that recall, there was a 2013 M4A1 SOCOM edition. Markings were somewhat different and it had a 16-inch SOCOM-profile barrel. Had the KAC rail, but at some point Colt switched to the Troy rail. Some folks had heartburn over this because the gun was the same price despite the cheaper Troy rail.

I had one of those with the KAC rail. I ended up selling it to a local FFL doe to finance issues. Would have been nice to still have it.

Indeed I did. Just a few weeks ago. Was a complete rifle, non SBR due to the pin and weld.

How is the castle nut staking on yours? I found one at my local Sportsman’s this week, and the staking was pretty much non-existent.

okie
08-31-22, 00:01
I had one of those with the KAC rail. I ended up selling it to a local FFL doe to finance issues. Would have been nice to still have it.

How is the castle nut staking on yours? I found one at my local Sportsman’s this week, and the staking was pretty much non-existent.

You know I completely forgot to check. Didn't even cross my mind. Colts are usually beautiful in that department, so I'll try to remember to grab a photo of it.

minuteman1636
09-01-22, 20:28
The current production rifle that the OP purchased is a 2022 production LE6920SOCOM. None of the firearm is used as speculated in previous comments. All components are new manufacture. The barrel is a military specification 14.5" SOCOM profile heavy barrel with the M203 cut-outs. For the carbine to be legal for the civilian market, Colt pins/welds an extended A2 flash hider to bring the barrel to a length of 16.1". Otherwise, a 14.5 barrel makes it a SBR and restricts its potential sales market.

Anodizing isn't always going to match because the upper receivers and lower receivers are not anodized together at the same. This creates a shade variance between the upper and lower sometimes.

The LE6920SOCOM is standard Colt product right now and are carried by many retailers.

The LE6920SOCOM with the US Property marked lower receivers first appeared in 2018 thus this variant is often referred to as the 2018 model SOCOM. The LE6920SOCOM went out of production for a while then reappeared on the market around the end 2020 or early 2021. It has been in regular production since then.

You see upper and lower receiver forgings from Brass Aluminum Forge Enterprises (often called Square Forge) and Cerro Forge (often called keyhole forge due to the keyhole appearance of their forge mark). You see a mix or CAGE code and C marked parts as previously mentioned. You will also see some LE6920SOCOM's with KAC M4 RAS and some with P&S M4 RAS. The current production carbines have 'retail market' marked Matech back-up iron sights.

The LE6920SOCOM is one of the best selling Colt products and will stay in production for the foreseeable future.

okie
09-01-22, 20:34
The current production rifle that the OP purchased is a 2022 production LE6920SOCOM. None of the firearm is used as speculated in previous comments. All components are new manufacture. The barrel is a military specification 14.5" SOCOM profile heavy barrel with the M203 cut-outs. For the carbine to be legal for the civilian market, Colt pins/welds an extended A2 flash hider to bring the barrel to a length of 16.1". Otherwise, a 14.5 barrel makes it a SBR and restricts its potential sales market.

Anodizing isn't always going to match because the upper receivers and lower receivers are not anodized together at the same. This creates a shade variance between the upper and lower sometimes.

The LE6920SOCOM is standard Colt product right now and are carried by many retailers.

The LE6920SOCOM with the US Property marked lower receivers first appeared in 2018 thus this variant is often referred to as the 2018 model SOCOM. The LE6920SOCOM went out of production for a while then reappeared on the market around the end 2020 or early 2021. It has been in regular production since then.

You see upper and lower receiver forgings from Brass Aluminum Forge Enterprises (often called Square Forge) and Cerro Forge (often called keyhole forge due to the keyhole appearance of their forge mark). You see a mix or CAGE code and C marked parts as previously mentioned. You will also see some LE6920SOCOM's with KAC M4 RAS and some with P&S M4 RAS. The current production carbines have 'retail market' marked Matech back-up iron sights.

The LE6920SOCOM is one of the best selling Colt products and will stay in production for the foreseeable future.

What do you think of the unmarked extractor? Think it's the real deal or a subcontracted generic stand in?

minuteman1636
09-01-22, 20:48
What do you think of the unmarked extractor? Think it's the real deal or a subcontracted generic stand in?

Part markings are military requirement only. Getting an unmarked part doesn't mean the part is any lesser quality than a marked part. They are the same part...sometimes marked for use in government contracts...sometimes not.

Colt has reduced some of the part markings to reduce production costs and production time. It doesn't make business sense for them to have the extra production steps, production time and associated costs to mark a part that doesn't have a contract requirement for it. Production efficiency is also why Colt stopped milling off selector stops.

JediGuy
09-02-22, 09:18
Does a standard A2 flash hider reach 16.1” on a 14.5” barrel?

minuteman1636
09-02-22, 09:24
Does a standard A2 flash hider reach 16.1” on a 14.5” barrel?It does not which is why Colt did a pin/weld with the extended flash hider.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

09-02-22, 11:04
Its around 15.8”.

the AR-15 Junkie
09-02-22, 12:38

You can buy a KAC made spacer and use a standard flash hider with a P&W. ADCO has them on their website. I have used one of these also.

https://adcofirearms.com/shop/categories/muzzle-devices/kac-spacer/

09-02-22, 12:49
You can buy a KAC made spacer and use a standard flash hider with a P&W. ADCO has them on their website. I have used one of these also.

Measure twice, weld once. Or do like me, measure once, weld once, re-measure, curse, grind it off, grab a new A2, etc. Don’t be like me.

okie
09-02-22, 13:10
Measure twice, weld once. Or do like me, measure once, weld once, re-measure, curse, grind it off, grab a new A2, etc. Don’t be like me.

Sounds like a good excuse to stamp it and chop to 10.3.