PDA

View Full Version : First 6.8 Build -

Paulinski
11-19-06, 08:36
I'm contemplating an idea of building a 6.8 to compliment my 5.56 collection.

Here are the details - Constructive criticism is always welcomed;)

- Vltor Billet Upper
- 16.1" 6.8 Barrel and bolt from Global Tactical
- CMT Carrier
- Larue Low Profile Gas Block
- Larue 12" Rail
- Stag/CMT Lower
- Magpul CTR

How does this sound?

Paul

TimP
11-21-06, 14:26
I would ditch the Vltor upper and go with a LMT/CMT upper. I'm not convinced that it makes the gun shoot any better, but it sure does cost a good bit more.

Ditch the Global Tac barrel, and get a 16.1 noveske. That WILL make it shoot better. This is where I woudl ratehr spend my money. YMMV

I am very happy with my Troy 12" rail. Its cheaper than the Larue, and it works great for me.

Everything else I like.

shark31
11-21-06, 14:49
The Compass Lake barrel from GTS is a great barrel, I've run two 12" barrels and a 16" 6.8 from Denny, and they all shot as good or better than the 12", 10.5", and 18" Noveske 6.8 barrels that I've run. All have been sub MOA, but the Noveske does break in a little faster. YMMV:D

Your parts list is sound, but some of the items are a little pricey for any advantage (real or otherwise) that they offer. However, if you have the money and are willing to spend it, at least you know you won't be dissapointed with the outcome. I say great build!

The only thing that you may want to look into is the "enhanced" bolts from LMT and L-W. I'm not very big on these, however if premature wear or bolt failure is a huge concern with the reamed out bolt, these are your options. While I have no experience with the LMT bolt yet, I've wrung out two of the L-W units and no malfunctions to report.