PDA

View Full Version : "Best" 10.5" or 10.3" Upper?

Alex V
08-29-22, 15:11
I already have an BCM 11.5 and it's my go to gun. I would like to pick up a 5.56 upper with a 10.5 or 10.3 barrel but BCM doesn't make one. I would prefer an M-Lok handguard. DD is out for political reasons.

I know some say a 12.5 is better, which BCM does make but I kinda feel like I want a 10.3/10.5

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

titsonritz
08-29-22, 15:21
Colt LE6945CK

Stopsign32v
08-29-22, 16:50
10.3 because it's the real deal

MK18 life

JediGuy
08-29-22, 16:56
Have BRT build you an upper with their barrel.

My mans, ‘member there is a member discount. Supply your own handguard or use the SLR.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/

Wake27
08-29-22, 17:20
TAC has several solid 10" uppers in stock. I do prefer my DD barrel over my Triarc. The Core would probably be my next look until Geissele's issues are fully resolved.

DoubleW
08-29-22, 17:43
I have been completely satisfied with my Geissele 10.3. The Colt 6945 is a cool one for sure. As stated above, Thoroughbred Armament keeps a steady supply of 10.3’s on hand and builds some pretty cool solid uppers. I’d snag a Geissele super duty 10.3 during the Labor Day sale this weekend.

odugrad
08-30-22, 20:27
I got one of PSA's premium uppers with the FN barrel and Geissele rail and I like it.

Stopsign32v
08-30-22, 20:54
I got one of PSA's premium uppers with the FN barrel and Geissele rail and I like it.

I'm not a fan of PSA but its nearly impossible to argue their value to what you get. Great barrel and all I've shot are good shooters!

SteyrAUG
08-30-22, 21:38
I already have an BCM 11.5 and it's my go to gun. I would like to pick up a 5.56 upper with a 10.5 or 10.3 barrel but BCM doesn't make one. I would prefer an M-Lok handguard. DD is out for political reasons.

I know some say a 12.5 is better, which BCM does make but I kinda feel like I want a 10.3/10.5

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Colt 6933 and add a Centurion rail. 6945 is also a great option if you can live with the mono rail.

And honestly, DD didn't do anything wrong but protect their company legally and express human sympathy to the victim families. They didn't sell anyone out with a "nobody needs and AR" nonsense.

Defaultmp3
08-31-22, 01:26
Have BRT build you an upper with their barrel.

My mans, ‘member there is a member discount. Supply your own handguard or use the SLR.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT's 10.5" is only their PRO barrel, though. A fine barrel, I'm sure, but not CHF nor chrome-lined.

Curious as to the reason for a 10.3"/10.5" when you already have an 11.5". I have both lengths, too, but the 10.3" was specifically to minimize OAL, as it also has a LAW folder on it to make discreet transport easier; I really only shoot my 11.5" for the most part.

Alex V
08-31-22, 09:51
Colt 6933 and add a Centurion rail. 6945 is also a great option if you can live with the mono rail.

And honestly, DD didn't do anything wrong but protect their company legally and express human sympathy to the victim families. They didn't sell anyone out with a "nobody needs and AR" nonsense.

I understand him trying to protect his company. I get it. I do. Having said that, it’s a puss-put. IMHO DD should have gone to NRAAM as a giant middle finger to the cry babies on the Left. His support of the ATF, [again, as a manufacturer i understanding his reasons] was also personally unacceptable to me.

BRT's 10.5" is only their PRO barrel, though. A fine barrel, I'm sure, but not CHF nor chrome-lined.

Curious as to the reason for a 10.3"/10.5" when you already have an 11.5". I have both lengths, too, but the 10.3" was specifically to minimize OAL, as it also has a LAW folder on it to make discreet transport easier; I really only shoot my 11.5" for the most part.

I have two stripped lowers with all the parts needed for assembly sitting without uppers. If you have a lower, seems like the can’t live without an upper, right? One will get a BCM 12.5 so that it can be made into an “OTHER” for when I travel to see my parents in NJ. The other one might as well get something different. I have the 11.5, I know I’m going to get a 12.5 so why not a 10.5/10.3?

markm
08-31-22, 11:39

I have an FN barrel too. Definitely over-gassed. I have a port reducer inserted in the FSB, but really need to get a BRT gas tube. Not sure if port sizes vary, but my barrel came with something ridiculous like .080" or something. Great barrel otherwise.

JediGuy
08-31-22, 18:29
If you want to assemble or have someone assemble…

https://www.primaryarms.com/triarc-systems-track-2.0-556-carbine-barrel-10.5in

SteyrAUG
08-31-22, 19:02
I understand him trying to protect his company. I get it. I do. Having said that, it’s a puss-put. IMHO DD should have gone to NRAAM as a giant middle finger to the cry babies on the Left. His support of the ATF, [again, as a manufacturer i understanding his reasons] was also personally unacceptable to me.

When you are regulated by the ATF, you don't say things that invite problems into your life and business. Also this isn't one person, this is a person responsible to a company and his employees. I think he is also trying to be a decent person and not use this event for self aggrandizement. I understand your reservations, but I think most of us would do a very similar thing in his place.

scooter22
08-31-22, 19:49
TAC has several solid 10" uppers in stock. I do prefer my DD barrel over my Triarc. The Core would probably be my next look until Geissele's issues are fully resolved.

Can you please elaborate?

Alex V
09-01-22, 07:07
When you are regulated by the ATF, you don't say things that invite problems into your life and business. Also this isn't one person, this is a person responsible to a company and his employees. I think he is also trying to be a decent person and not use this event for self aggrandizement. I understand your reservations, but I think most of us would do a very similar thing in his place.

Like I said, I understand his reasons, but I don't agree with those reasons. This is why we are in the shit show we are in right now, because everyone pretends to have principles but no one acts on them.

Wake27
09-01-22, 11:02
Can you please elaborate?

I don't really have much to back it up or even a lot of justification for it. Both are setup the same as far as functional components but my DD just feels like it shoots softer.

Hank6046
09-01-22, 13:20
I would mention that Centurion does have a 10.3 midweight barrel that looks interesting but they seem to be out of stock as far as CM4 upper

https://centurionarms.com/cm4-complete-upper/

studenygreg
09-24-22, 20:06
Anyone have experience with a solgw 10.5" ?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

El Vaquero
09-24-22, 21:14
I bought a stripped 16” 6920 for cheap and sent the barrel off to get cut to 10.3 and the gas port opened up to my specs. Runs like a champ. Put a Centurion Arms quad rail on it for aesthetics.

titsonritz
10-01-22, 22:28
I bought a stripped 16” 6920 for cheap and sent the barrel off to get cut to 10.3 and the gas port opened up to my specs. Runs like a champ. Put a Centurion Arms quad rail on it for aesthetics.

I've 3 or 4 6920 barrels laying around, was thinking of doing that in an 11.5

El Vaquero
10-01-22, 22:39
I've 3 or 4 6920 barrels laying around, was thinking of doing that in an 11.5

Do it. I’ve used Retro Arms and David Wilson with D. Wilson Manufacturing. Both did good work.

Black_Sheep
10-08-22, 20:08
PA had Criterion's SBR 10.5 Hybrid profile barrels in stock and on sale, so I rolled the dice. It's been a good shooter so far.

Chrome lined, carbine length gas system, 1:8 button rifled and hand lapped.

Armadillo
10-13-22, 22:15
Any thoughts on this Noveske?

https://noveske.com/products/10-5-gen-iii-shorty-upper/