PDA

View Full Version : Ever rented a table at a gun show?

Ron3
08-31-22, 15:57
How'd it go?

Tips?

markm
08-31-22, 16:29
I hate gun shows and don't like hanging out with ATF, but I know a guy who used to. He says they ATF comes up and asks if you have "ghost guns" and all kinds of fun stuff.

MegademiC
08-31-22, 19:18
I hate gun shows and don't like hanging out with ATF, but I know a guy who used to. He says they ATF comes up and asks if you have "ghost guns" and all kinds of fun stuff.

Funny the FDA doesnt show up. They'd be way more successful.

SteyrAUG
08-31-22, 19:54

"Well sir, I've had a couple that have passed on over the years, don't know if they are here looking over me from the great beyond but it sure is a nice thought isn't it?"

OutofBatt3ry
08-31-22, 21:46
gun shows are pretty lame..personal experiance.

SteyrAUG
08-31-22, 21:48
What you drinking tonight? Just asking.

I can do this stone sober. :sarcastic:

FromMyColdDeadHand
08-31-22, 21:57
I’ve always wanted to show up with my crappiest guns, put outrageous prices on them, and BS about how awesome they are…

Or am I missing something????

OutofBatt3ry
08-31-22, 22:00
I can do this stone sober. :sarcastic:lol!! In before the edit..nice.

SilverBullet432
09-01-22, 05:46
Funny the FDA doesnt show up. They'd be way more successful.

Hey bud, don’t you start going after my cheese, salsas and beef jerky!!! :lol:

AndyLate
09-01-22, 06:16
I would like to, I need to thin the herd a little. I just dread actually dealing with the inevitable tire kickers, low bidders, know-it-alls, never bathers, and all the other clown shoe wearing mouth breathing neck beards.

Andy

Lowdown3
09-01-22, 08:12
Not in years thank God.

Assuming your talking about selling off some excess guns? Check with the show promoters to see if "private sale" is "allowed"- by the show not your state laws, etc.

Also, a lot has changed since the 90's, no one seems to carry cash any more or bring cash for big purchases. So plan on having some alternate method to accept payment, there is all kinds of cash app, etc. type stuff for that. Or say cash only and roll with it.

Bring something to cover the table with- a black table cover will work fine. Most gunshow tables are 8' if it's a 6' table expect to pay less. Can't tell you what going rate is now but I would assume $70-100. per table at least.

Bring some food and drinks so you don't get charged $20. for some crappy hotdog and coke.

mack7.62
09-01-22, 08:28
A lot depends on where you are and local law BS, I haven't been to a Florida gun show in over 20 years but recall some counties had waiting periods etc. but one county over no problem. I think the gun show hate is overblown but my expectations are not to find a super deal on a firearm I really want at every show, a good deal on a part or accessory can make a show for me. If working the show by yourself get to know your neighbors so they can watch your stuff while you run to the rest room, also think of getting their early if you want to check out what others have. Food/snacks and drinks are good to have cause if busy you are pretty tied to the table unless you have help.

Ron3
09-01-22, 08:54
Yea, just want to sell some guns.

Private sale is allowed. I'll at least check for Florida ID. Will bring food, a buddy, table cloth, and backpacks to walk my stuff in. Will zip tie the guns at home. No ammo.

Most of my stuff is less-common. .25's, .32's, 60 year old Berettas, etc. Old collector stuff in excellent shape. The stuff you really want to see at gun shows. Will price to move, cash only.

Cips
09-01-22, 09:12
Good luck with the show!

I really enjoy going to the local gun shows, and as mack7.62 mentioned I think the hate is overblown too. Yeah you may not find a smoking deal on exactly what you're pursuing, but where else will you find the selection and quantity of gun stuff in a centralized location?

For me it's a fun day out. I usually never go with the intent to buy a gun, but always looking for 'stuff.' Ammo, mags, tools, targets, stuff for my range bag, and such. Recently there have been a lot more medical focused vendors at my local shows and picking up a book or a first aid kit and some tourniquets is always good to have.

Ron3
09-25-22, 08:53
Well, I can vouch that if you have a day to spend at a gun show, you can move it!

Key is to have reasonable prices, put prices on them...and don't be a dumbass thinking you're going to make money on your common, used, modified guns.

S&W Sheild 2.0 single stack? $275. Used G26 3rd gen? $350. 10/.22? $150, Ruger P90 .45? $275.

These are just examples. You can move guns at a gun show and under-cutting the dealers and guys who come more to chat than sell guns is easy.

One experience, of course.

I actually enjoyed it. Was neat meeting people of all kinds of gun knowledge. You never knew what you were going to get.
Being helpful and friendly can go a long way. People seemed to appreciate that. It may or may not lead to a sale but it makes the experience more enjoyable for yourself and everyone else.

The_War_Wagon
09-25-22, 09:05

Toss 'em some beef jerky & tell 'em to keep moving!

jwfuhrman
09-26-22, 12:39
I’ve always wanted to show up with my crappiest guns, put outrageous prices on them, and BS about how awesome they are…

Or am I missing something????

Nope, thats pretty damn spot on.

My business partner who does the medical side of our training company his parents are co-owners of the local promotional group that puts on the gun shows in Fort Wayne. We setup at those only because we pay next to nothing for tables. I'll take what little inventory I have (90% of it is consignment guns that I sell on gunbroker and gun shows exclusively), he brings all of his Med Kits and we both bring promotional stuff for both the gun side and the medical side, plus have 2 or 3 tables dedicated just to doing demostrations.

AndyLate
12-09-22, 06:49
Hey, Ron, your experience sounded pretty positive. Do you have any tips after the experience? I read your last post.

I am hoping to set up and sell a couple of excess guns here locally. I will be selling super common stuff - a couple of PSA ARs and a few pistols. Just making space in the safe, really.

Andy

BillBond
12-10-22, 09:09
The internet ruined gun shows.
I used to go to 17 shows a year in the 90's.
They started to suck in 2002 and went to my last one in 2006.

Slater
12-10-22, 10:03
I did many years ago. Sold stuff I didn't want or need any more like old uniforms, unit and weapon system patches, books, etc. After the table cost ($80, IIRC), I think I cleared about $200.

jsbhike
12-10-22, 12:05
Yea, just want to sell some guns.

Private sale is allowed. I'll at least check for Florida ID. Will bring food, a buddy, table cloth, and backpacks to walk my stuff in. Will zip tie the guns at home. No ammo.

Most of my stuff is less-common. .25's, .32's, 60 year old Berettas, etc. Old collector stuff in excellent shape. The stuff you really want to see at gun shows. Will price to move, cash only.

It is a good idea to have handguns(perhaps long guns too) leashed in some manner to make walking off with one a multi step process instead of grab and go.

Send it...
12-11-22, 00:46
Lotta crap, over priced stuff and beef jerky at gun shows.

My buddy does crossroads of the west shows for the last 20 years. I think he told me he pays 2-300 per table (he gets 3) most of the time he would make 6-800 after paying for everything, food, hired help and hotels/gas. The trick he seemed to have mastered was selling things that folks were willing to buy at a show like tactical nylon, mag pouches, barrels, uppers etc.

Setup and tear down and repacking was a big job for him. And he left his tables setup with gear there each night with the show security to watch everyones stuff.

pinzgauer
12-11-22, 09:53
It used to be gun shows were where you got the deals on firearms, and also ammunition. That along with occasional orphans that I found appealing that others didn't.

Then the firearms faded with the internet but ammunition, powder, and primers were the sweet spot.

Now there are no deals to be had in ammo or reloading stuff other than possibly projectiles.

In spite of 90% of the stuff on tables either AR or Glock related that I already have better sources for, I still occasionally find firearms of interest.

My favorite recent one was a very early lightweight commander that had been cerakoted, with 3 Wilson 8 round mags. Decent trigger, very reliable. Show was closing cash offer with Benjamin's for half of his asking price.

Picked up a 7x57 Mauser carbine that is one of our favorite blinking rifles doing similar.

So yeah they've changed. Certainly no longer a deal. I don't go to them near as much, but still hit a couple each spring or fall. There's a guy selling new ammo cans from the factory and I usually pick some of those up, etc.

Ron3
09-04-23, 13:58
It is a good idea to have handguns(perhaps long guns too) leashed in some manner to make walking off with one a multi step process instead of grab and go.

Good idea.

I've rented a table at a couple shows since, including splitting one. You can't be alone because you can easily be distracted, and you can't leave your table to look around or even use the restroom.

I watched the buddy who split the table with me last time and he wasn't paying attention. It wasn't on his mind that a person will buy a ticket to a show for the sole purpose of stealing a pistol or two.

If I rent another table I'll have one of those wired alarms that runs through trigger guards.

And it's ABSOLUTELY true that 90% of the best deals are made before the show opens to the public.

I sold some guns and gun accessories I didn't want anymore easily because I came to sell them, not pack them up again and take them home.

1 lb of pistol powder I sold for $10.
A few boxes of recent production .32 S&W ("short") I sold for $50. (150 rds)

Odds & ends like that you sell easily if you price if reasonably.

Ron3
09-04-23, 14:06
Lotta crap, over priced stuff and beef jerky at gun shows.

My buddy does crossroads of the west shows for the last 20 years. I think he told me he pays 2-300 per table (he gets 3) most of the time he would make 6-800 after paying for everything, food, hired help and hotels/gas. The trick he seemed to have mastered was selling things that folks were willing to buy at a show like tactical nylon, mag pouches, barrels, uppers etc.

Setup and tear down and repacking was a big job for him. And he left his tables setup with gear there each night with the show security to watch everyones stuff.

Per table doesn't sound right.

They are $80 to $100 per table in my AO.

Split a table with a buddy and it's half that.

I'd like to encourage people to rent tables at gun shows. It's safer and actually saves time. You spend the day or a weekend geeking out on gun stuff.

Much better than meeting randos in parking lots one at a time.

Prices are high? Then don't be that guy! And don't go there to buy but to sell.

Although part of the fun is surprise opportunities, especially before the show starts, to buy something at a decent price. Or to trade for something you might want for something you have to sell.

Maybe your common VP9 and 5 mags sits awhile at $600 (and you're willing to haggle to $500) and some guy wants to trade a very nice but dusty Ruger No 1 in .243? Or VZ-61? or a $200 .22 rifle with a $400 scope you want to put on one of your other rifles?

If your gun hobby revolves around common items like AR's, Blocks, 365's, Shields, and LCP's then yea, you may not find a gun show interesting.

09-04-23, 14:14
Ron3, those .25 and .32 oddball guns… have you sold all of the threaded ones already?

Ron3
09-04-23, 22:22
Ron3, those .25 and .32 oddball guns… have you sold all of the threaded ones already?

Nope. Just sold an extra Cheetah & Jetfire.

I recently bought a new Cheetah .32 threaded barrel and sent an M21A barrel off to be threaded.

jwfuhrman
09-07-23, 10:12
Per table doesn't sound right.

They are $80 to $100 per table in my AO.

Split a table with a buddy and it's half that.

I'd like to encourage people to rent tables at gun shows. It's safer and actually saves time. You spend the day or a weekend geeking out on gun stuff.

Much better than meeting randos in parking lots one at a time.

Prices are high? Then don't be that guy! And don't go there to buy but to sell.

Although part of the fun is surprise opportunities, especially before the show starts, to buy something at a decent price. Or to trade for something you might want for something you have to sell.

Maybe your common VP9 and 5 mags sits awhile at $600 (and you're willing to haggle to $500) and some guy wants to trade a very nice but dusty Ruger No 1 in .243? Or VZ-61? or a $200 .22 rifle with a $400 scope you want to put on one of your other rifles?

If your gun hobby revolves around common items like AR's, Blocks, 365's, Shields, and LCP's then yea, you may not find a gun show interesting.

Tables here are $45 per table. I usually get 3 just so I can have an "end pod" and not deal with people being right behind me.

I started off with all the modern stuff but that market has died. I make my money buying a shit load of LEO trade in Glocks and Sigs from places like AIM Surplus and marking them up $80 to end up making a $50 profit after haggling. Also have started going to smaller shows just to be a shopper and buying older rifles and shotguns to fill in the tables. Alot of times I can go up to a table full of fairly used guns, make an offer of if I buy these 4, I'll give you such and such a price and the seller wont even bat an eye because hes moving 4 items at one time then I turn around and add my $80 mark up to everything so I can make $50.

Last show I went to I had 3 tables completely full of LEO trade in Glock 22's and 17's and Sig 226's and 320's plus a 4th table with 3 6 gun racks on full of the "old 22's and 12ga's" plus a 5th table with all the odds and ends parts and nylon crap I had in my shop and did 9K in sales for a total of 3K in profit.

Ron3
09-09-23, 07:55
Tables here are $45 per table. I usually get 3 just so I can have an "end pod" and not deal with people being right behind me.

I started off with all the modern stuff but that market has died. I make my money buying a shit load of LEO trade in Glocks and Sigs from places like AIM Surplus and marking them up $80 to end up making a $50 profit after haggling. Also have started going to smaller shows just to be a shopper and buying older rifles and shotguns to fill in the tables. Alot of times I can go up to a table full of fairly used guns, make an offer of if I buy these 4, I'll give you such and such a price and the seller wont even bat an eye because hes moving 4 items at one time then I turn around and add my $80 mark up to everything so I can make $50.

Last show I went to I had 3 tables completely full of LEO trade in Glock 22's and 17's and Sig 226's and 320's plus a 4th table with 3 6 gun racks on full of the "old 22's and 12ga's" plus a 5th table with all the odds and ends parts and nylon crap I had in my shop and did 9K in sales for a total of 3K in profit.

Fine with me if someone wants to buy my stuff in bulk with a discount.

I can usually tell when a buyer is buying because they want the gun or just intend to sit on it longer to flip it or auction it.

Doesn't matter to me they bought it it's theirs to use or flip.