PDA

View Full Version : G43 opinions

flenna
08-31-22, 18:48
My LGS has a couple of barely (as in no visible wear)used G43s for $349 that I was checking out today. This is the first time handling and they are a lot smaller than I expected. I have been carrying a G30 for 25 years and don’t see a need to change but I was thinking the G43 could replace the j-frame I occasionally carry. I know there have been more Glocks out since then (G45, G48, G45x, etc..) that I really don’t have an interest in so if you have owned a G43 what is your opinion?

The Dumb Gun Collector
08-31-22, 19:22
In my opinion it is too small. Again, in my opinion the S&W shield is better sized for shooting. I found the size to be so small on the G43 that I ended up having to make a lot of effort to avoid the slide release, etc. I don't think it brings enough to the table to justify replacing the J-frame, especially if you are pocket carrying.

I will say the one I had was reliable when I did my part.

09-01-22, 02:39
It works; its very concealable. I carry it when I feel that it is important not to print, but not completely non-permissive. Its inexpensive, and holsters and mags exist. There are no add-on backstraps, so if you wear a big glove, it might not be optimal; get a double stack. I carry mine IWB, and intend to get a G48 MOS slide for it at some point for funsies. Capacity wise, yeah, it doesn’t hold much more than a revolver. But I usually carry a pair of reloads with Vickers +2 kits to balance my belt. Does that offset the lack of capacity? I dunno. Maybe. I do know that capacity adds weight, and when more is desired/tolerated I just grab a G19.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
09-01-22, 07:49
The p365 is slightly bigger and holds double the rounds. The Shield is the same size, holds one or two more, is easier to shoot. I’ve owned all 3 and the G43 made little sense to me.

themonk
09-01-22, 08:09
I purchased one early on. Great gun and easy to conceal. I run a 43x now. I threw mine in a bug out bag. I think for what you want to use it for it would be perfect.

09-01-22, 08:27
At that price is tempting if one wants to buy it for the occasional carry. For daily carry, I would rather get a Sig P365 or the Shield or the G43X.
I have several other Glocks and I like Glocks, but with similar guns out there with larger capacity, the G43 doesn’t make sense to me.

joe138
09-01-22, 08:41
I am the opposite. I had the S&W Shield and it didn't make sense to me as for the size/amount of rounds on board. So I opted for the G43. For me it carries better and shoots just as well. It has been relegated to ankle/vest carry as the G43X with Shield magazines with Optic has become my go to.

TMS951
09-01-22, 08:46
I really like mine. It’s a tiny glock.

I bought it to replace a Kahr PM9 that didn’t release the striker in the cold.

It’s a hair bigger than the Kahr but shoots better and works. I shoot steel torsos with it at 40yards and make all hits. Great little gun.

I’m comfortable with 6 rounds. When I think things are super sketchy I carry a Glock 19 and couple mags anyway. The 43 allows me to carry at times where otherwise I’d probably opt not to carry. So from that perspective it’s wonderful.

henri
09-01-22, 09:56
It is cool little weapon to have for quick errands (though a snubby fits the bill as well), personally I just could not shoot it well past 10-12 yds, but that's on me. For the price , why not?

Heavyweight
09-01-22, 12:48
At that price? I'd be all over it. I love mine. It virtually disappears IWB, holds 15 rounds with Shield Arms mags (I use the OEM 10 rounder and carry the Shield mag for my reload) and is plenty accurate. Go for it.

Heavyweight

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

mizer67
09-01-22, 17:03
I have an early 43. It fits the role of a J Frame for me.

I have no real interest in owning or shooting a J Frame, but the 43 works well in a pocket or deep concealment with about as many rounds.

It's still not fun to shoot though, better than a J, but still quite snappy. The 48 or 43X extra grip length helps in that regard.

09-01-22, 17:59
Here is a size comparison between the G43 and Sig P365.

https://www.handgunhero.com/compare/glock-g43-vs-sig-sauer-p365

henri
09-01-22, 21:01
At that price? I'd be all over it. I love mine. It virtually disappears IWB, holds 15 rounds with Shield Arms mags (I use the OEM 10 rounder and carry the Shield mag for my reload) and is plenty accurate. Go for it.

The OP is referring to the 43 not the 43X. The shield 15rd mags do not fit the 43.

flenna
09-02-22, 09:39
The OP is referring to the 43 not the 43X. The shield 15rd mags do not fit the 43.

Are extended mags available for the G43? Would be good for a reload, just like I carry G21 mags as a reload for my G30.

themonk
09-02-22, 09:52
Are extended mags available for the G43? Would be good for a reload, just like I carry G21 mags as a reload for my G30.

Yes, several companies make base plates - https://tarantacticalinnovations.com/base-pad-for-glock-43-9mm-oem-magazines/

Watrdawg
09-05-22, 10:21
I bought a 43 early on and replaced it with a P365XL. The Sig completely outclasses the G43 as far as I'm concerned. I haven't looked back at all.

mizer67
09-05-22, 10:53
I bought a 43 early on and replaced it with a P365XL. The Sig completely outclasses the G43 as far as I'm concerned. I haven't looked back at all.

Not a fair comparison though. An XL is larger and longer than a 43. It would be more fair to compare the P365 XL to a G48.

I have a G48 and a P365XL and don't see a huge difference between the two. They both have their plus' and minus'.

The P365XL is more accurate, but has more recoil and the trigger is worse. The Glock shoots softer and flatter but has a tendency to twist more in my large hands. The G48 is dead simple mechanically whereas the FCU of the P365 is more complex and the reliability hasn't been great overall, but some of the early issues have been addressed with rolling changes. I don't get wrapped up in mag capacity. Both have aftermarket options that increase capacity to G19 range. All in all, I consider picking between the two a wash. Choose either and shoot it a lot and that will be the best gun for you.

Watrdawg
09-05-22, 11:05
Not a fair comparison though. An XL is larger and longer than a 43. It would be more fair to compare the P365 XL to a G48.

I have a G48 and a P365XL and don't see a huge difference between the two. They both have their plus' and minus'.

The P365XL is more accurate, but has more recoil and the trigger is worse. The Glock shoots softer and flatter but has a tendency to twist more in my large hands. The G48 is dead simple mechanically whereas the FCU of the P365 is more complex and the reliability hasn't been great overall, but some of the early issues have been addressed with rolling changes. I don't get wrapped up in mag capacity. Both have aftermarket options that increase capacity to G19 range. All in all, I consider picking between the two a wash. Choose either and shoot it a lot and that will be the best gun for you.

I can see that. Actually I made a mistake in my initial post. I had the G43X which is almost the same dimensionally as the P365XL.

BuzzinSATX
09-05-22, 21:25

They make a 9 round mag for the 43

https://shieldarms.com/z9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

titsonritz
09-07-22, 12:58
I was surprised how accurate the little thing is but it isn't replacing my G19s or my 442.

davidjinks
09-12-22, 20:00
My LGS has a couple of barely (as in no visible wear)used G43s for $349 that I was checking out today. This is the first time handling and they are a lot smaller than I expected. I have been carrying a G30 for 25 years and don’t see a need to change but I was thinking the G43 could replace the j-frame I occasionally carry. I know there have been more Glocks out since then (G45, G48, G45x, etc..) that I really don’t have an interest in so if you have owned a G43 what is your opinion?

Too small for me personally. I prefer the 43X.

flenna
10-29-22, 15:36
Belated range report: So I picked up the G43, a couple of spare mags, holster and two Vickers +2 magazine extensions. Just to get a feel I started off with slow fire at 15 yards on a B-27 target and easily put everything in the X and 10 rings. Sped it up a bit doing failure drills and put every round exactly where I wanted them. I then fired at an 8x10 steel silhouette at 25 yards and pleasantly got the instant feed back of constant rings. Overall I am quite happy with the little pistol and was surprised how easy it was to shoot and get hits as long as I did my part. Absolutely no failures, even with the extended magazines. Kinda makes me wish I would have bought both of them at that price.

11-02-22, 08:57
I spent a lot of time with 43s.

They run exceptionally well for a Glock on underpowered ammo like PMC Bronze.

They are not tolerant of excess slide velocity and don’t fare nearly as well with full power hollow points.

I value reliability with duty ammo above all, I replaced mine with a G26.

L-2
11-03-22, 00:43
I have a G43 and usually carried it on duty as a backup gun.
It was either carried in an ankle holster or under my shirt with a body-armor-vest holster.

Compared to my S&W 642 J-frame, the G43 had two more rounds (6+1, 9mm rounds vs. 5, .38Special rounds).
I could also shoot the G43 a bit faster and a bit more accurately.

Even so, I still liked how the 642 felt when ankle-carried vs. the G43 as the G43 seemed to just rub on my ankle bone the wrong way. My pants also caught on the Glock due to the shape of the G43. However, there were no problems with either when carried using the body-armor-vest-holster.

Logically, the G43 should be my choice.
Emotionally, and if either was to be a primary carry, it'd be a tie, vs. not carrying a gun at all.

Neither of these guns are what I'd personally use if in a mall shoot-out with 40 yard distances (like a recent mall shooting where ever that was).

titsonritz
11-03-22, 02:28
I have a G43 and usually carried it on duty as a backup gun.
It was either carried in an ankle holster or under my shirt with a body-armor-vest holster.

Compared to my S&W 642 J-frame, the G43 had two more rounds (6+1, 9mm rounds vs. 5, .38Special rounds).
I could also shoot the G43 a bit faster and a bit more accurately.

Even so, I still liked how the 642 felt when ankle-carried vs. the G43 as the G43 seemed to just rub on my ankle bone the wrong way. My pants also caught on the Glock due to the shape of the G43. However, there were no problems with either when carried using the body-armor-vest-holster.

Logically, the G43 should be my choice.
Emotionally, and if either was to be a primary carry, it'd be a tie, vs. not carrying a gun at all.

Neither of these guns are what I'd personally use if in a mall shoot-out with 40 yard distances (like a recent mall shooting where ever that was).

I bought my G43 with the specific idea it would replace my 442 for all the reasons you mention, that didn't happen, again, for all the reasons you mention.

mark5pt56
11-03-22, 05:58
Mine has run plenty of NATO ball, 124+p GD and 127+p+, zero issues. When I asked the old Glock rep in the area about the =p+, the answer was" just hang onto it!" It's a great gun, I don't use any extensions and curl my pinky under the grip bottom. As some know, there's no free lunch with some carry guns.

I spent a lot of time with 43s.

They run exceptionally well for a Glock on underpowered ammo like PMC Bronze.

They are not tolerant of excess slide velocity and don’t fare nearly as well with full power hollow points.

I value reliability with duty ammo above all, I replaced mine with a G26.

C-grunt
11-03-22, 09:07
I bought my G43 with the specific idea it would replace my 442 for all the reasons you mention, that didn't happen, again, for all the reasons you mention.

What about pocket carry? I'm looking at a G43 to replace my 442 in a front pants pocket.

titsonritz
11-03-22, 15:58
What about pocket carry? I'm looking at a G43 to replace my 442 in a front pants pocket.

That was my plan as well but I still front pocket carry my 442 in a Mika, my daughter has my G43. The shape of the little J-frame is works better for me

juliet9
11-03-22, 19:28

but these do: https://shieldarms.com/z9-combo-pack-1

brings the 43 to 9 rounds plus one in the pipe.

11-05-22, 11:29
Mine has run plenty of NATO ball, 124+p GD and 127+p+, zero issues. When I asked the old Glock rep in the area about the =p+, the answer was" just hang onto it!" It's a great gun, I don't use any extensions and curl my pinky under the grip bottom. As some know, there's no free lunch with some carry guns.

Yeah there are some outliers out there, but a larger sample size of guns in the hands of a larger sample size of people showed that they are severely lacking.

I tested a couple with Ranger 127+p+ when they first came out in ‘15 and they were basically non-functional with it.

flenna
11-06-22, 06:12
Yeah there are some outliers out there, but a larger sample size of guns in the hands of a larger sample size of people showed that they are severely lacking.

I tested a couple with Ranger 127+p+ when they first came out in ‘15 and they were basically non-functional with it.

I ran a few boxes of 115 grn ball ammo and then shot a few magazines of Federal 124 grn HST (my carry ammo) and the little gun ran flawlessly so I am not sure what else I can ask of it for its intended purpose.

Detmongo
11-08-22, 09:34
I picked up a 43 a few years ago for a steal. To date I’ve put 2100 rds through with the only bobble being a mag with a Taran tactical +2 extension on it, called them they sent out a new spring and haven’t had an issue since. About 1500 rds were carry ammo 124 +p Gold Dot. She’s just a little spicy with the +p. I find myself carrying this gun more often than anything else.

nick84
11-13-22, 21:50
I got an early 43. It's my most carried gun, and it's been 100 percent reliable with FMJs and HPs. Mostly shoot 124, with some 147. I recently switched to the 9 rd metal mags from Shield Arms mentioned in the thread. I also bought their mag release, but the factory one seems completely functional, so I haven't bothered changing it. The mags are completely reliable, and a worthy upgrade to make it 9+1 instead of 6+1. For me I think this is sufficient capacity for this type of weapon.

I'm sure that the single stack carry 9 market has improved quite a bit since I bought this gun, but I don't see an urgent need to upgrade to a 365 or whatever else.