PDA

View Full Version : Tired of going to the gym

dpb1776
09-01-22, 16:49
Not tired of working out just the local gyms. Don't get me wrong one of them has amazing equipment and lots of it but the place stays packed even in early afternoon. I work in the restaurant business so can avoid peak times but I guess with so many working from home or whatever it doesn't matter. People sit on the equipment and read there phone or walk around with earbuds on totally oblivious to everything around them. So making the decision to set up a home gym in my garage , power rack, dumbbells, landmine attachment and looking for a Peloton since there are so many on the used market. Looking to spend about $2500 to $3000 for a setup anyone ever go this route or just deal with the crowds and continue on with a gym membership?

czgunner
09-01-22, 17:05
Not tired of working out just the local gyms. Don't get me wrong one of them has amazing equipment and lots of it but the place stays packed even in early afternoon. I work in the restaurant business so can avoid peak times but I guess with so many working from home or whatever it doesn't matter. People sit on the equipment and read there phone or walk around with earbuds on totally oblivious to everything around them. So making the decision to set up a home gym in my garage , power rack, dumbbells, landmine attachment and looking for a Peloton since there are so many on the used market. Looking to spend about $2500 to $3000 for a setup anyone ever go this route or just deal with the crowds and continue on with a gym membership?I hear you. People are super inconsiderate.
I'm pretty open about asking "mind if I use that machine while you catch your breath?"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

flenna
09-01-22, 17:05
I haven’t been to a gym in years. An Olympic barbell set, dumbbells, bench, resistance bands and a stationary bike at home is all I need.

dpb1776
09-01-22, 18:28
I have changed my workouts to compound and functional training I just don't need the equipment. Landmines are something I wish I had got into earlier also looking forward to trying out the bands. The Rogue fitness ones look promising. Also putting in a big screen in the garage, really looking forward to getting things set up

dpb1776
09-01-22, 18:30
I hear you. People are super inconsiderate.
I'm pretty open about asking "mind if I use that machine while you catch your breath?"

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

yeah did that the other day and got a blank look they had the earbuds just jammed into there brain, I used to love the gym but at 55 tomorrow I just don't have the patience anymore lol

flenna
09-01-22, 18:35
I have changed my workouts to compound and functional training I just don't need the equipment. Landmines are something I wish I had got into earlier also looking forward to trying out the bands. The Rogue fitness ones look promising. Also putting in a big screen in the garage, really looking forward to getting things set up

I use resistance bands in 3/4 of my workouts and free weights only about 1/4. I have built more muscle mass in the last two years this way with very little soreness from my workouts. At 51 years old that means a lot to me as I get sore from more benign things….

nick84
09-01-22, 18:51
If you have the appropriate space for it, a home gym will likely be very good. I'd love to do it, but I don't have a good spot at my house, so I keep going. Also, I work alone frequently even at work, so I get some socialization at the gym that I appreciate. But not everyone wants to do that, so I get that.

I have numerous friends who went the garage gym route during Covid and basically never went back. One rack, a couple of bars, some plates, a bench, some bands, maybe a sandbag, a couple Kb's....you're basically there and probably within your budget. The biggest chunk of your budget will probably go to a cardio machine, but like you said, there's plenty floating around the used market. I like the airdyne myself, but to each his own. Good luck.

Alex V
09-01-22, 19:01
I’ve always skeeved the gym. I don’t want to touch or sit on equipment other people have used. I can’t explain it, I’m not a germaphobe I was almost kicked off several planes for not wearing masks, had United employees chase me down the jet bridge, had Port Authority cops give me a talking to at EWR. So it’s not a germ thing. Also, when I first started working out it was older than when most start and felt self conscience as well.

I set up a gym in my parents’ basemen, kept adding equipment, when we got the house in NC it had a second floor bonus room so moved everything in there. Typing this now from the bench between sets.

Over time I got a cable weight machine, rack/bench, Olympic bar, a couple easy bars, plates etc. Pull up/dip rack. I got the smaller Bowflex select weight dumbbells but now they are not enough. Only max of 52.5lbs each. They have ones that go up to 90 so I’m going to order those soon.

We got a Peleton during the Rona shut down. My wife uses it mostly but I do enjoy it. The hot AF chick instructors help the time pass.

The only downside for me is that being at home I get distracted. When the equipment wasn’t at my house I would want to get in, get out. Now I’ll do a set, walk over to my office and start playing with the guns on display. A 60min workout ends I’ll being 90min or more. I can’t keep focused.

dpb1776
09-01-22, 19:05
If you have the appropriate space for it, a home gym will likely be very good. I'd love to do it, but I don't have a good spot at my house, so I keep going. Also, I work alone frequently even at work, so I get some socialization at the gym that I appreciate. But not everyone wants to do that, so I get that.

I have numerous friends who went the garage gym route during Covid and basically never went back. One rack, a couple of bars, some plates, a bench, some bands, maybe a sandbag, a couple Kb's....you're basically there and probably within your budget. The biggest chunk of your budget will probably go to a cardio machine, but like you said, there's plenty floating around the used market. I like the airdyne myself, but to each his own. Good luck.

If I worked alone it might not bother me. But between guest and staff always being in a good mood no matter how my day is going I think being around people is starting to exhaust me which has led to me not going as often. Hoping the alone time will help me recharge. I am looking at the tactical games and the sniper challenge in the masters division for motivation, plus just picked up a dirt bike to hit the track again after several years off so my butt has to be in shape

chuckman
09-01-22, 19:41
Shoot man, you make a great home gym for about 100 bucks.

A sandbag or two, a kettlebell or two, a tire.

markm
09-02-22, 10:39
I've NEVER come close to joining a Gym for all the reasons mentioned. I hate driving amongst the imbeciles to do things. Work out at home 4 times per week.

DixieGuns
09-02-22, 12:24
Luckily my employer provides us with a private gym to use. He also hired a full time personal trainer to do HIIT and weight lifting classes. Everyone is allowed two paid 1 hour classes per week. I do mine every Tuesday and Thursday at 3pm
Get back to my desk for 4ish and hit the gate at 5
It really helps break up a stressful work week.

BrigandTwoFour
09-02-22, 13:55
I'm in a similar boat. I've slowly amassed some nice home workout equipment over time like a rower, spin bike, sandbags, kettlebells, adjustable dumbbells, etc. Most of my workouts are done with classic compound movements a la Tactical Barbell/Starting Strength. I've gotten to the point where it just makes more sense to have a gym at home where I can have nice equipment in an environment I control and don't have to wait for.

For months I've been pricing out what works best for my needs. The list right now looks like this:

- Rep PR-4000 power rack with plate storage, lat pull down/low row, and spotter arms
- Either Rep FB-5100 flat bench or AB-4100 adjustable bench (still deciding)
- The Strength Co iron plates and barbell
- 3/4" rubber flooring for most of the garage

Everything beyond that is icing on the cake, like a set of rings, EZ-bar, trap bar, etc. Between this and everything I've already got on hand, I don't think I'll ever want for a commercial gym again.

WillBrink
09-02-22, 14:02
Not tired of working out just the local gyms. Don't get me wrong one of them has amazing equipment and lots of it but the place stays packed even in early afternoon. I work in the restaurant business so can avoid peak times but I guess with so many working from home or whatever it doesn't matter. People sit on the equipment and read there phone or walk around with earbuds on totally oblivious to everything around them. So making the decision to set up a home gym in my garage , power rack, dumbbells, landmine attachment and looking for a Peloton since there are so many on the used market. Looking to spend about $2500 to $3000 for a setup anyone ever go this route or just deal with the crowds and continue on with a gym membership?

I have both, decent little home gym and a membership to LA Fitness close by. The home gym really came in handy with covid. The membership is cheap enough where it's worth it to me to have the option to do either. I also got pretty board the home gym too when it's all I had for a few years during covid.

davidjinks
09-02-22, 17:28

I hate the god damned phone people! It infuriates me! I’ve had some choice words with dudes in the gym just sitting there and either texting, talking, or doing selfies.

One of the best things I’ve found that works, if it’s equipment you’re waiting to use of course, just go up and setup the weight and gear that you want and watch their expression. It’s usually priceless. Sometimes it’s so entertaining I get a good laugh.

JediGuy
09-02-22, 17:33
It just depends how much you want or are willing to spend.

Get a few sizes of kettlebells (35/44/53) in duplicate and at least one 70#.
Cheap bench off FB marketplace.
Nice Rogue rack or cage.
Christians Fitness Center rings.
Bumper plates and small (down to 1 and 2.5#) steel plates
Then your barbell…. Eh, I went cheap on this, but really need to get a nicer bar at some point.

rero360
09-02-22, 23:49
I have a really nice home gym but have been struggling to get the motivation/ energy to get out there and use it, I was pretty consistent for three weeks but life happened and I’ve been unable to get back out there since. I hate this lack of motivation and feeling tired all the time.

JediGuy
09-03-22, 06:22
I have a really nice home gym but have been struggling to get the motivation/ energy to get out there and use it, I was pretty consistent for three weeks but life happened and I’ve been unable to get back out there since. I hate this lack of motivation and feeling tired all the time.

The reason CrossFit has done so well, along with various copies, is the “communal” aspect. If you have a friend or acquaintance (or make one), it’s good to hold each other accountable just by talking about it.

flenna
09-03-22, 07:14

I get it, and some days I force myself to workout but having a home gym makes it easier to do that. I get up an hour before anyone else in my house and think of my gym time as my “alone” time. I’ve found if I wait until the end of the day to workout I won’t do it but if I set my alarm early my options are either lay in bed and stare at the ceiling or get up and exercise.

henri
09-03-22, 08:23
I despise the gym, the grunting neanderthals, moronic teenagers, the blithering cell phone obsessed skanks, to mention a few. Cardio for me is cycling and 3-4 mile hikes a few times a week, strength training in my garage with a modicum of basic weights 15-50 lbs, and a few core body exercises. Simple, fun and 'do-able'. No travel, no constraints, easy.

chuckman
09-03-22, 09:11
The reason CrossFit has done so well, along with various copies, is the “communal” aspect. If you have a friend or acquaintance (or make one), it’s good to hold each other accountable just by talking about it.

I belong to a men's workout group, F3, that is all about being relational and supportive. Best of all it's free.

JediGuy
09-03-22, 09:46
I belong to a men's workout group, F3, that is all about being relational and supportive. Best of all it's free.
They had a group in Indiana that a friend attended, but I could make it work with my work schedule. I actually contacted them about starting a group in that same town after an interview on a podcast, before one was there.
I just haven’t felt like driving in to GSO for most of the local spots. But I’m 100% with you on F3.

Edit: Looks like there are workouts closer now…Glad you mentioned.

Det-Sog
09-03-22, 10:09
We quit the gym during the scamdemic closures. Bought a nice elliptical trainer, some dumbells, a yoga mat and a set of resistance bands. I have not looked back. In my upper 50s it's all I need.

rockapede
09-03-22, 11:14
I’m putting a gym in my garage this fall. All I need is a power rack on an 8x8 platform, an adjustable bench, an assortment of plates, and a power bar. I fully admit my personal interest slants hard toward powerlifting and that doesn’t reflect the gen pop, but it’s still a little shocking how hard stuff that basic can be to find in a lot of commercial gyms. Machines for days, virtually no real free weights.

Bluto
09-03-22, 12:43
Hate the locals at the gym and since I work from home I decided that rather than sit on ass all day I prefer to at least walk on a treadmill while staring at screens. I have been a Peloton fan since they launched (literally bought their first bike the week they started selling them) but last year tried the Nordictrack treadmill and bike and man, what a difference.

The Peloton bikes and ecosystem are based on spin classes and that's OK if that's all you want. The Nordictrack system includes much more outdoor type of content and, major plus here, the bikes and treadmill automatically incline/decline with the content terrain and the bike automatically adjusts the resistance. The user engagement is amazing.

The speed and incline adjustment knobs on the Peloton tread+ are nice and I wish the Nordictrack had them, but I can live without them. Otherwise, the Nordictrack tread is wider, more comfortable, the content is better (and slightly cheaper) and the automatic incline/resistance is a game changer for me.

Also, I don't have too much faith in Peloton as a going concern. Their hardware is super old (bikes don't incline/decline and resistance is still controlled with a crappy old school knob). They are not putting much money into content and they are basically in financial decline. They were supposed to launch a new treadmill last year but have canceled it entirely.

Bottom line... besides covid buyer's remorse, there are a lot of reasons the used market is flooded with them...

dpb1776
09-04-22, 09:17
I’m gonna look at the Nordictrak bikes , they look way more innovative then the Pelaton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk