PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Red Dot and WML

Tulsa
09-02-22, 09:54
I want to put together a lightweight home defense carbine. I would appreciate any suggestions for a lightweight red dot sight and a lightweight weapon mounted light for the BCM REECE LW. I certainly haven't decided on a Holosun red dot, but I am interested to try one eventually.

xFREDx
09-02-22, 10:54
any of the micro redots would be light wight. speaking of the ones with the aimpoint T1/T2 footprint. the MRO is light weight. It will depend on your budget on what optic to go after. the surefire lights, and modlight lights are light weight. I like cloud personally but they are a littler heavier.

JediGuy
09-02-22, 11:07
Aimpoint T1/H1 or T2/H2 are king. I don’t have any because I’m cheap.

Trijicon MRO
Holosun 509T
Trijicon RMR
Holosun 407C/507C

That’s the order in which I’d select. 509T is actually becoming my go to for minimal weight. Just need more rounds on a rifle before I say it’s “good to go.”

gaijin
09-02-22, 11:08
I run an RMR and ModLite on a couple 11.5” guns.

JediGuy
09-02-22, 11:10
For WML:

Arisaka 300
Surefire 300C
Surefire Micro Scout Pro *want to try this, haven’t actually used yet

Surefire X300U-B

One More Time
09-02-22, 11:10
In the Holosun budget range I have a Sig Romeo5 XDR on an ADM mount and an Inforce XL on a BCM offset mount that makes for a handy package on my 14.5"
Just over 7.5 lbs no mag.

GH41
09-02-22, 12:06
Inforce and MRO on my lightweight rifle.

gunnerblue
09-02-22, 12:06
I use Aimpoint Micros and a CompM5's on 11.5" and 12.5" carbines along with Surefire and Arisaka/Malkoff 300-series lights.

titsonritz
09-02-22, 13:13
My lightweight setup consists of an Aimpoint Micro atop of a Scalarworks mount with a Modlite PLHv2 head, Reptilia Torch 18350 body and SF clicky tailcap.

Stickman
09-02-22, 15:17
What rail do you have on it? In the world of home defense, I would rather have a good light than a good optic, but that is just me. I understand that regardless of training, there is a high likelihood even good shooters are going to be putting rounds in the center of the circle of light and never seeing the optic....

MegademiC
09-02-22, 17:30
I run an RMR and ModLite on a couple 11.5” guns.

Same setup here. 18350 modlite and rmr in scalarworks.

Tulsa
09-02-22, 17:51
The RECCE carbine, which I have on order, comes with a 13 inch MLOC MCMR rail. I don't have an acreage to defend, I'm really just focused on repelling intruders in my decent size home. My hope is I can get by with a really, really lightweight light. I have a bad left shoulder and hanging any weight at all near the muzzle is not good for me.I really appreciate everyone's input.

gunnerblue
09-02-22, 19:26
The RECCE carbine, which I have on order, comes with a 13 inch MLOC MCMR rail. I don't have an acreage to defend, I'm really just focused on repelling intruders in my decent size home. My hope is I can get by with a really, really lightweight light. I have a bad left shoulder and hanging any weight at all near the muzzle is not good for me.I really appreciate everyone's input.

A Surefire M300 with its battery and the factory mount weighs 3.81 ounces on my scale.

DoubleW
09-03-22, 10:13
Comp M5S & SF mini Scout. Sling, stock & grip of choice. KAC BUIS & you’re done. Set for life.

09-03-22, 12:12
What rail do you have on it? In the world of home defense, I would rather have a good light than a good optic, but that is just me. I understand that regardless of training, there is a high likelihood even good shooters are going to be putting rounds in the center of the circle of light and never seeing the optic....

While I don’t agree with that technique as a primary aiming method, the coolest thing about an OKW is being able to aim with it up close as a backup plan.

Todd.K
09-03-22, 14:27
My hope is I can get by with a really, really lightweight light. I have a bad left shoulder and hanging any weight at all near the muzzle is not good for me.I really appreciate everyone's input.

A SF mini scout and you should replace the handguard with a 9” or 10” so it isn’t so far out. Replace that muzzle comp thing they use with an A2 flash hider as well.

Red dot is less important because it’s not weight hanging off the end. Just don’t bet your life on a $100 Chinese one.

Tulsa
09-06-22, 15:25
I really appreciate everyone's input. If anyone has any more thoughts, please chime in.

Todd-excuse my ignorance but can you help me understand your suggestion here: "Replace that muzzle comp thing they use with an A2 flash hider"

Todd.K
09-06-22, 16:38
BCM uses a compensator on all their uppers and rifles last I checked.

Compensators increase muzzle flash and blast, not something I want on an SD or especially HD gun that may be used indoors at night.

titsonritz
09-06-22, 17:00
BCM uses a compensator on all their uppers and rifles last I checked.

Compensators increase muzzle flash and blast, not something I want on an SD or especially HD gun that may be used indoors at night.

Not all, but it is one of the standard options. Neither of mine came with a comp, both are 14.5" one came with a pinned A2X, the other came unpinned with a standard A2 (NFA upper) I pinned a White Sound FOSSA on it. But yeah, I hate comps. They are forbidden at my regular range.

https://i.imgur.com/2OyPmOz.jpg

Tulsa
09-06-22, 18:24
Thanks a ton for this, Todd. That's something I absolutely needed to know, but had no idea. If I had to use this thing in an emergency it would be indoors, and potentially at night. More flash and especially blast are the last thing I want, as I will have no suppressor and likely would not be wearing ear protection. Does it make any difference which flash hider I buy?

Todd.K
09-06-22, 23:14
The A2 is cheap and has a slight compensator effect without extra blast because the bottom is closed. Good flash reduction.

The open tine designs are the best at flash reduction, most cost much more than the A2 and are longer. Some ring like a tuning fork and there are some people less tolerant of that.

I don’t see the better flash reduction as needed on a 16”, but they become more worthwhile as barrel length gets shorter.

titsonritz
09-07-22, 00:54
The A2 is cheap and has a slight compensator effect without extra blast because the bottom is closed. Good flash reduction.

The open tine designs are the best at flash reduction, most cost much more than the A2 and are longer. Some ring like a tuning fork and there are some people less tolerant of that.

I don’t see the better flash reduction as needed on a 16”, but they become more worthwhile as barrel length gets shorter.

It really is hard to beat the A2 for the money, that said the FOSSA I've got on the left BCM is amazing at flash suppression on my 14.5" and 16" guns and does not have that annoying ring. I'm going to pull the off my 16" an run it on a 10.5", see if it is still all that. The shit part about is they seem to have gone unobtanium, which sucks I could use a couple more.

gaijin
09-07-22, 05:34
I run the SF 3 prong version of similar to your FOSSA on one 11.5" and 2 14.5" Tits.
Good flash suppression and shoot pretty flat.

AndyLate
09-07-22, 06:30
YHM Phantom FH is slightly more effective (as a flash hider) than an A2 but its hard to justify the cost increase. I can confirm either is more effective at suppressing flash than the BCM comp.

My 14.5" gun has an open, 3 tine, AAC Blackout FH. The open tine FHs are very effective, more expensive yet, and mine rings like a tuning fork. I honestly don't notice it when shooting but can hear it when I drop the bolt to load a round, etc. The ringing is a non-issue for HD of course.

Andy

TMS951
09-07-22, 11:58

The surefire micro scout light is a single AAA light. It has a wide throw and isnÂ’t overly bright. Too bright is bad bouncing back off walls inside.

I really like mine. I think it would be perfect for you.