PDA

View Full Version : Black Southerners' Access to Firearms = Reduced Lynchings

WillBrink
09-09-22, 15:32
Gun laws are by their nature and intent, elitist and racist:

A New Study Suggests That Black Southerners' Access to Firearms Reduced Lynchings

The analysis reinforces the historical case for armed self-defense in response to racist violence.

In her 1892 pamphlet Southern Horrors: Lynch Law in All Its Phases, the journalist Ida B. Wells argued that firearms were an essential tool in preventing the deadly white supremacist violence that she chronicled. "Of the many inhuman outrages of this present year, the only case where the proposed lynching did not occur, was where the men armed themselves in Jacksonville, Fla., and Paducah, Ky, and prevented it," she wrote. "The only times an Afro-American who was assaulted got away has been when he had a gun and used it in self-defense."

Wells thought the lesson was clear: "A Winchester rifle should have a place of honor in every black home, and it should be used for that protection which the law refuses to give. When the white man who is always the aggressor knows he runs as great risk of biting the dust every time his Afro-American victim does, he will have greater respect for Afro-American life. The more the Afro-American yields and cringes and begs, the more he has to do so, the more he is insulted, outraged and lynched."

Many African-American leaders, including Frederick Douglas, W.E.B. Du Bois, T.R.M. Howard, Roy Wilkins, and Martin Luther King Jr., took a similar position, which was supported by voluminous anecdotal evidence. A recent paper by Clemson University economists Michael Makowsky and Patrick Warren reinforces Wells' case for self-help by showing that "rates of Black lynching decreased with greater Black firearm access" during the Jim Crow era.

Cont:

https://reason.com/2022/09/08/a-new-study-suggests-that-black-southerners-access-to-guns-reduced-lynchings/

.45fan
09-09-22, 16:46
Michigan's handgun "safety inspection' started after Ossian Sweet a black doctor bought a house in a nice section of Detroit back in the 1920's. The white neighbors tried to get him to move and when he wouldn't they tried to burn him out but he shot several of the folks trying to burn his house.

The Michigan state police still won't allow the registration that the safety inspection has become to be removed from the books.

Miami_JBT
09-09-22, 20:20
FL's carry laws were passed starting in 1890. In 1941, Watson v. Stone (FLSC), Justice Burford literally said that the laws on the books while written to apply to everyone. Was only really applied to Blacks for the sole purpose of disarming them.

SeriousStudent
09-09-22, 21:31
In Texas during Reconstruction, it was not uncommon for the Klan to ride up to black family homes and burn their crops or kill their livestock. That was in order to force them out.

So for many years, there was a Texas law on the books allowing a homeowner to shoot any vandal after dark.

"My God, you can shoot someone for just breaking a window, TP's your house, or damaging your property???"

Yes, you sure as Hell could, and it was to protect innocent families from racist violence.

I always let my anti-gun friends chew on that for a while.

SteyrAUG
09-09-22, 23:20
I miss "Gran'pa Jack"

https://jpfo.org/images02/gpajack-04.jpg

https://jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/gj.htm

Todd00000
09-10-22, 16:08
https://hughhewitt.com/former-secretary-state-condoleezza-rice-gun-debate-pbs-documentary-american-creed/

HH(PBS): I also look to you for a rather nuanced view on self-defense, because I recall from your autobiography your father would sit on the porch at night with a gun across his lap because he would not adopt a non-violence if they were coming for his family.

Condoleezza Rice: That’s correct. As a matter of fact, Birmingham was the jurisdiction of a man named Eugene “Bull” Connor, who was the police commissioner. And I remember so well bombs going off in our neighborhood one night, and my father said, he put everybody in the car and we’re going to go to the police. And my mother said the police probably set that bomb off. And that’s the way that our community, therefore, the men in our community, protected us. And I think it’s a pure version of the 2nd Amendment, as a matter of fact, the right to bear arms. I will say this, Hugh. I think it is time for us to have a conversation about what the right to bear arms means in the modern world. I don’t understand why civilians need to have access to military weapons. We wouldn’t, we wouldn’t say you can go out and buy a tank. So I do think we need to have that conversation. But I believe that the rights that we have in the Constitution are indivisible. We can’t throw away the 2nd Amendment and keep the 1st.

hotbiggun42
09-13-22, 21:05
33% of black men in the US have felonies. 33%.

SteyrAUG
09-13-22, 22:01

And that has what to do with the rest who have no criminal history whatsoever? Seriously. Are you going to let yourself be judged by the actions of Charles Manson, John Gacey, Danny Rolling and a bunch of other shitbags simply because of similar ancestry and common skin pigment?

When do we start actually believing in individual freedom? Seems we can understand the "it takes a village" shit is nonsense, but then some want to start judging individuals according to the village they happen to reside in.

Averageman
09-13-22, 22:13
And that has what to do with the rest who have no criminal history whatsoever? Seriously. Are you going to let yourself be judged by the actions of Charles Manson, John Gacey, Danny Rolling and a bunch of other shitbags simply because of similar ancestry and common skin pigment?

When do we start actually believing in individual freedom? Seems we can understand the "it takes a village" shit is nonsense, but then some want to start judging individuals according to the village they happen to reside in.

I will tell you what, if these guys have nonviolent felonies, I think they should be able to own guns and vote.
Everyone assumes it's some back water red neck court room handing out these felonies, I really don't think the numbers would match up for that to be factual, but I would like to know, because I'm guessing it's a lot easier to catch a felony in Chicago than it is in Biloxi Mississppi.

hotbiggun42
09-13-22, 22:32
I will tell you what, if these guys have nonviolent felonies, I think they should be able to own guns and vote.
Everyone assumes it's some back water red neck court room handing out these felonies, I really don't think the numbers would match up for that to be factual, but I would like to know, because I'm guessing it's a lot easier to catch a felony in Chicago than it is in Biloxi Mississppi.

If a man paid his debt to society then he should get his rights restored.
I was pointing out that gun laws aren’t the only way to keep guns from the black population. Not sure why the fellow above you called me a racist.

SteyrAUG
09-13-22, 22:46
I was pointing out that gun laws aren’t the only way to keep guns from the black population. Not sure why the fellow above you called me a racist.

So looks like I read your comment in a way that you didn't intend. I'm now tracking along. I thought you were trotting out the "for a minority population group they have a disproportionate amount of criminal activity" song and dance. I'm actually really glad that is not what you were trying to put across, I was surprised to see what I believed it to be on this forum.

That is very much my error and I apologize for having taken it the wrong way.

Averageman
09-14-22, 00:02

If two guys, one white and one black were to face the same Judge on the same charge, it would seem to me, that they should recieve the same sentence, I don't believe that's the way it always works out though.

SteyrAUG
09-14-22, 00:38
If two guys, one white and one black were to face the same Judge on the same charge, it would seem to me, that they should recieve the same sentence, I don't believe that's the way it always works out though.

I don't think it does either, but I also don't think the outcome is a constant. Some zip codes Group A gets jammed up, other zip codes Group B gets jammed up.

Todd.K
09-14-22, 08:15

Are you implying that black people are falsely arrested to make them prohibited persons?

Averageman
09-14-22, 10:26
Are you implying that black people are falsely arrested to make them prohibited persons?

I wouldn't say that is the objective today, but if you look at laws it sure seems that way.
Remember when Crack was all the rage, most of that drugs, sales and use was confined to the black community. When our President Joe Biden decided to make a law, he didn't make one where white kids would go to jail, it primarily sent young balck men to jail.
Was that the intent? Remember someone bringing up the term "Super Predator?"

Todd.K
09-14-22, 12:44
Oh please. Crack is worse than cocaine, and cocaine is worse than chewing on coca leaves.

Hunter could obviously afford the best quality booger sugar, yet he was googling how to make it into crack.

CRAMBONE
09-14-22, 12:49
This topic is about like “in other news water is wet” to me. Gun laws are racist no matter the geographic region. NYC’s first gun law was created because a Jewish dude was carrying for self defense against the Black Hand or he smoked a mobster (can’t remember the details).

Averageman
09-14-22, 12:49
Oh please. Crack is worse than cocaine, and cocaine is worse than chewing on coca leaves.

Hunter could obviously afford the best quality booger sugar, yet he was googling how to make it into crack.

Well;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWo-GUhnR50
This is what I was talking about, at the time this was made crack was pretty much relegated to the black community.
The effect was the youngsters who were selling nickle bags began selling rocks because that's where the money is, then with these stiffer sentences things got real and these guys were locked away for some real time.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-14-22, 14:25
People are a product of the choices they make. Choose to go to school or not. Work or steal. Suck on a crack pipe... on and on. The notion that a person is unable to make correct choices or otherwise should not be accountable for the choices they make because of their race... that's the most insidious type of racism.

Todd.K
09-14-22, 14:58
Just because it’s a convenient political hit now doesn’t mean it’s true.

Drug abuse and drug crime were exploding at that time, and there was no shortage of black leaders and politicians pushing for stiffer crack penalties.

Rangel was probably the, or at least a big part of the reason Nixon declared the war on drugs.

Averageman
09-14-22, 17:07
People are a product of the choices they make. Choose to go to school or not. Work or steal. Suck on a crack pipe... on and on. The notion that a person is unable to make correct choices or otherwise should not be accountable for the choices they make because of their race... that's the most insidious type of racism.

I agree, we are as much a product of our nurture as our nature.
Right now if you go into a White home there is very likely a Mom and about a 60% chance of a Dad or Step-Dad. I'm guessing that in African American households that number is significantly skewed in the other direction by 40 or more percent.
Boys need a Dad, that Male influence and guidance is essential.
We saw Johnson gut African American Families with his Great Society. Welfare programs that made it more economically efficient for their not to be a "Man of the House" and it all went to hell.
Boys need a Dad, because a Man will get up, go to work and bring a check home. He will pay some bills, he's at least there after work to be in the house talking with them. That's at a minimum, being a Dad can be a good gig.
That Republican voting African Americans began voting for Democrats started in the Depression, but Johnson sealed the deal with the "Great Society."
Thats when the commie bear got his nose under the tent.

Miami_JBT
09-14-22, 20:53

And Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union was all White.

SteyrAUG
09-14-22, 23:05
And Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union was all White.

Well not completely true.

https://i.imgur.com/aEYzhJD.png

Very interesting story.

https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0003/black_nazi.html

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qbxmyx/black-nazi-brais-iglesias-castro-929

Harpoon
09-17-22, 13:57
Each year more blacks kill each other than all of the lynchings ever .

WillBrink
09-17-22, 14:03
Each year more blacks kill each other than all of the lynchings ever .

Which is how/why the Dems and most in the black community have convinced so many black American's that guns are the problem.

Otherwise, what is your point precisely?

How any POS, gay person, or Jew, could be anti gun/pro gun control, is a total mystery and only shows they don't know chit about history, and or in total denial of reality, which all anti gun/anti 2A/Anti Liberty types must be to perpetuate guns as the problem to violence among black Americans/crime in general.