PDA

View Full Version : HK USP .45 Question and HK USP .45 v HK45

11Bravo
12-22-08, 23:43
Hey-
How's it going?
For my first post, some questions.

1. What might it be worth?
I have a USP .45 full sized, all black, and truth be told, it is just a bit too big for my hands.
With a firing grip, my thumb doesn't quite reach the slide catch.
Believe it or not, the slightly smaller 9mm is more manageable for my hands.
I may be interested in switching.
Here is what I have-
HK USP .45 ACP Full Size
Variant 1
Like New – Little to no visible wear
1995 Build, I bought in 1996, 2nd owner
Maybe 1000 rounds through it
3 10 round mags, genuine HK
Original grey plastic box with manual
I started to record shooting in the log in back but quit
Tritium sights
Fobus paddle holster
Some sort of nylon double mag holder with Velcro flaps

2. How does the HK45 compare to the USP?
With the smaller grip panel in it, is it noticeably smaller than a USP?
I don't have a gun shop that carries handguns closer than 75 miles to try them out really.
Not that they'd have the HK45 in stock.
I'm pretty comfortable in that HK is good stuff and if it is smaller, I wouldn't worry about having my FFLdude order one for me.

3. What does a new HK45 go for?

Thanks,
Greg

JSandi
12-23-08, 15:40
You'd be better of trying to sell the USP on GB or at HKPro.com than trading it.

I'd say you could ask for $700 easily for the USP Package. Where as, if you trade depending on your dealer u might get $550 or so...

The HK45's are awesome and can be had NIB for $800 to $850 if you look hard enough.

Try CDNN first.

11Bravo
12-23-08, 22:06
I hadn't thought of that route actually.
Definitely food for thought.
Thanks.

Greg

Outlander Systems
12-25-08, 09:00
The thing I like about the USP45's grip is that the large size forces the shooter to place his or her finger properly on the trigger. The same thing goes for the largest backstrap on Magpul's MIADs. YMMV, but for me, my pressing finger's always in the right spot with the larger grips. On the 1911 I have to almost make a right angle with my finger to get a proper pressin'.

The HK45 has a noticeably slimmer grip, and is extremely comfy. You'd probably like it a lot better if you're not feeling the USP's setup. I personally like the USP's grip better, but I know some people like pepperoni on their pizza; I don't.

I'd sit tight until you get the chance to put your hands on an HK45 to verify the grip works for you.

I knnow my local dealer sells the used USP45Ts for about $850-$900, but I've yet to see a used standard HKUSP in the shop.

The other plus to the HK45 is that they're equipped with a standard picattiny rail; so no more proprietary accessories.

The HK45 ranges in price from shop to shop, but I'm usually seeing them in the $899-$920 range.

Best of luck,
Mike

kbi
12-25-08, 11:03
By theLandlord:but I'm usually seeing them in the $899-$920 range.

Wow thats alot!

Definetly hold one and see how it feels but it they feel just like the P30 I ordered th other day I'll end up with one eventually.

P.S. Cdnn quoted me around $830.00 the on monday when I ordered my pistol and thats a bargain.

11Bravo
12-25-08, 15:12
The thing I like about the USP45's grip is that the large size forces the shooter to place his or her finger properly on the trigger. The same thing goes for the largest backstrap on Magpul's MIADs. YMMV, but for me, my pressing finger's always in the right spot with the larger grips. On the 1911 I have to almost make a right angle with my finger to get a proper pressin'.
The HK45 has a noticeably slimmer grip, and is extremely comfy. You'd probably like it a lot better if you're not feeling the USP's setup. I personally like the USP's grip better, but I know some people like pepperoni on their pizza; I don't.
I'd sit tight until you get the chance to put your hands on an HK45 to verify the grip works for you.
I knnow my local dealer sells the used USP45Ts for about $850-$900, but I've yet to see a used standard HKUSP in the shop.
The other plus to the HK45 is that they're equipped with a standard picattiny rail; so no more proprietary accessories.
The HK45 ranges in price from shop to shop, but I'm usually seeing them in the $899-$920 range.
Best of luck,
Mike

Pepperoni and pineapple for me.
The thing about the USP is that my fingers are somewhat short.
In a firing grip, in double action, I can get just a bit more than 1/2 of the first pad on my trigger finger on the trigger.
In single action I can get to the first joint on my trigger finger.
I can shoot it safely and competently, but not all that comfortably.
Also, the double stack is just the smallest tad too big for me to have the level of control I'd like; not at all unsafe, just not exactly what I'd prefer.
I haven't decided yet for sure what I'm going to do; trolling for info for right now.
Thanks,

Greg