PDA

View Full Version : My new Kitty Kat

TriggerFish
09-15-22, 14:10
In 2001 after moving to the #1 rated gun friendly state from one that wasn’t (and has gotten much worse over the last 21 years!) I went on a search to buy a Colt M16A1. My new LGS told me they were making a bid to the Alyeska Pipeline Corp. to by some of their surplus M16s that they purchased directly from Colt in the 70’s. Alyeska found out what ATF registered MGs were worth compared to the very small amount they had originally paid for them so they sold them all and got those darned AR15s.
The LGS ended up with 10 guns and I had second pick. After my stamp came in I started to add ‘stuff’ as any AR type rifle is like LEGOs for adult gun owners. One variation that I really liked was DPMS’s 'Kitty Kat' entry weapon/PDW concept. Looking back now it seems it was at the time the 9mm MP5 and UZI SMGs were the go to for short OAL entry guns for military and police. Then the idea of a rifle VS pistol caliber ‘shorty’ became more and more appealing.
The Kitty Kat had a 7” 5.56 upper on an M16 carbine lower. I had to have that upper! So I got one in 2003:
https://i.imgur.com/Y8VcsF4.jpg
The m16 is long gone from my safe as is the upper… but now I have a Kitty Kat • 2022:
https://i.imgur.com/PLBB8pi.jpg
Semi auto Aero Precision M4E1 pistol lower with a 7” 5.56 upper. Very fun to shoot but VERY LOUD at indoor ranges. Muzzle device helps somewhat, but better shot out in the desert.

Stopsign32v
09-15-22, 15:22
Yea not for me, but glad you like it. Color choice is A+

Hammer_Man
09-15-22, 15:44
Cool pistol. Any plans for an optic?

TriggerFish
09-15-22, 16:58
I might just get another OPMOD SIG Romeo 7 for the pistol, I have really liked the one on my Colt SBR.
https://i.imgur.com/ivbVJfM.jpg

OutofBatt3ry
09-15-22, 20:44
The hand-stop it has is...questionable. (it's in the middle, where most would put their hand)

Delete the stop is has and install a shorty stop at the end of the rail so you don't get bit...imho.

TriggerFish
09-15-22, 20:56
The hand-stop is a Viridian green laser HS-1 and the fore finger presses the trigger button on the muzzle end of the stop. I tried it farther forward on this SBR but works better for me is this location. YMMV

rlewpolar
09-16-22, 00:15
The ballistics of the 5.56 out of a barrel that short makes no sense but that’s a cool pistol nonetheless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TriggerFish
09-17-22, 12:04
Took the two of them out to the range yesterday afternoon to play around with different optics and ended the day with the Romeo 7 moved to the pistol and my M21 on the SBR. I tried 4 other optics on both before settling on these configs.
https://i.imgur.com/r9L9jU6.jpg
These two are the 'Fun Size' range toys, I have 6 other AR uppers going up to a 20" bbl. for other types of shooting. With a fixed Magpul stock and the long barreled FF upper the Colt is an excellent varmint rifle.

fedupflyer
09-17-22, 12:46
It may look cool but it is loud. Did I say loud because it is loud and folks might give you dirty looks.

studenygreg
09-17-22, 14:00
I would be interested in hearing a 7-8" 556 with a dead air sandman s on it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Stopsign32v
09-17-22, 14:16
I would be interested in hearing a 7-8" 556 with a dead air sandman s on it.

The ballistics of a 7-8 inch doesn't even make sense. It isn't about the loudness.

Now if you want to laugh with your Bubba friends at the range because it's so loud and concussive then sure.

studenygreg
09-17-22, 15:13
The ballistics of a 7-8 inch doesn't even make sense. It isn't about the loudness.

Now if you want to laugh with your Bubba friends at the range because it's so loud and concussive then sure.Who said anything about ballistics? Sorry if my curiosity got your tactical panties in a bunch. It's okay little buddy. Show me where thr bad 7" barrel touched you. It's gonna be okay.

Stopsign32v
09-17-22, 15:35
Who said anything about ballistics? Sorry if my curiosity got your tactical panties in a bunch. It's okay little buddy. Show me where thr bad 7" barrel touched you. It's gonna be okay.

Weird reply but ok

Anyways here is a video of what you are curious about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cevsXTH_xdk

Stickman
09-17-22, 16:10
I'm not even sure why, but this puts a smile on my face.

How did the 7.5" run for you? Going back 10 or 20 years, my experiences with them were pretty horrid.

TriggerFish
09-17-22, 20:01
19 years ago on the M16 it ran FAST, but it ran. I only put about + or - 500 rounds through Kitty #1. Yeah even 500 was a bit much, wife never wanted to shoot it. She hasn't asked to shoot this one. Back in the day in WA I also liked sling-shotting M80s for the 4th of July... and I wonder why my hearing is less than perfect. lol

bamashooter
09-18-22, 07:58
Ballistics discussions can be entertaining at best and so many times, are simply garbage. Case in point. Perhaps 2 years ago I sighted a very large snapping turtle crossing my pasture as it neared a pond. Probably a good 60lbs. or more. I grabbed my 8.5" (5.56) and hit it from approx 15 meters. Absolutely destroyed the bastard. Basic 55/62 grain jacketed ammo. I have find the small pistol to be barely louder than 16" carbines. There is no substitute for "live" tests. Months later same deal but with my 9" (300 BLK) using some Outback 125 stuff. Close to the same size but when the round hit the target, the target actually rose about 8"-10" and flipped over. Very large gaping hole. Looked like it had stepped on a mine.

33XRAY
09-18-22, 11:42
I want to put a vertical grip on my AR pistol real bad. In regards to a SBR that is my drawing line.

TriggerFish
09-19-22, 12:02
V.G.: Currently: on AR pistol - Ill Eagle • on SBR - perfectly Eagle • Change the laws or stick with a rifle.