PDA

View Full Version : How come ammo makers don't load more lead and coated lead bullets?

Ron3
09-15-22, 14:30
I don't care for plated bullets. (Accuracy issues)

Most of the cheaper ammo, especially 9x19, uses them. Lead and coated lead bullets are often the same or cheaper than plated bullets, as a component.

So why don't I see nice lead or powder coated lead 147 gr new or reloaded ammo for sale?

Yes I reload my own but it goes fast and I wish I could buy some.

147 gr FMJ is pretty expensive.

markm
09-15-22, 15:28
So why don't I see nice lead or powder coated lead 147 gr new or reloaded ammo for sale?

Simple demand. Most guys prefer a plated bullet for blaster/practice ammo. I know I wouldn't even look at non-jacket or plated bullets.

gaijin
09-15-22, 17:41
Hell, I don’t shoot anything but JHP handloads in pistols.
The one exception is hunting revolvers, I use cast lead, gas check bullets.
Guess we all have our cross to bear.

Disciple
09-15-22, 18:44
I know I wouldn't even look at non-jacket or plated bullets.

You wouldn't shoot Federal Syntech Action Pistol? Why?

Ron3
09-15-22, 19:45
You wouldn't shoot Federal Syntech Action Pistol? Why?

I tried some of that. Was kinda sloppy. Looked it up and found it was a common issue.

Apparently Federal uses a crimp die at the end of the loading process and it distorts bullets, decreasing accuracy.

I forget what weight of the stuff I have tried but it's purple.

While I'm pretty sure I see accuracy decreases with plated bullets and syntech it shows up more with PCC's.

The_War_Wagon
09-15-22, 19:52
Because eco-tards would throw bigger hissyfits than they already do over firearms?!

09-16-22, 03:16
I suspect that its because most people that are into coated bullets have a Dillon or a Mk7 and are loading 10s of thousands a year.

I like them.

Ron3
09-16-22, 07:09
I suspect that its because most people that are into coated bullets have a Dillon or a Mk7 and are loading 10s of thousands a year.

I like them.

Yea, well...I guess I'm at the point I need to decide how much 9mm I plan to shoot in my remaining life and buy enough or buy a faster reloading rig.

I lean towards just buying the ammo. I have alot, but not alot in every caliber. :rolleyes:

I've enough .25 & .32, I reload all my revolver cartridges (.32 mag, .44 Russian, .38 Colt Short +p, .38 Special, .357 mag) and .45 acp and enjoy it, but if I'm going to continue shooting .380 I need to buy more and I know i need more 9x19 (124-147 gr) to be "comfortable".