09-23-22, 10:13
This is a fun YT channel. Ret SEAL on the crappiest place he ever deployed to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEXJ2bPGY88

chuckman
09-23-22, 13:25
NO one likes Nigeria lol.

SteyrAUG
09-23-22, 17:58
So I know a handful of people who do various work in places in Africa, I have never heard about a fantastic place to go visit in Africa.

I know a couple real old timers who did Safari's back in the 70s and they said it was the best hunting of their life, but still not sure they had anything great to say about Africa itself. The food they ate was what they brought with them and what they shot that day. They slept in tents and trucks, they crapped outside. I think it was just the experience of living off the land and hunting big shit that can kill you that was the attraction.

I think Haiti would probably be the second worst area to work based upon what people who have been here and there have told me.

I think the best "conflict" deployment I ever heard of was Thailand. I didn't even know we had a recent conflict in Thailand but I know some guys who got sent there to handle whatever the hell was going on. They absolutely loved it.

1_click_off
09-23-22, 18:27
My sister n law’s.

Averageman
09-23-22, 21:50
I think Haiti would probably be the second worst area to work based upon what people who have been here and there have told me.

My brother was there during a revolution, he was working with a Team. My brother said they had a murder an hour for 24 straight hours.
Not like a murder we have, these were machete attacks, brutal, bloody and effective.

SteyrAUG
09-23-22, 22:03
My brother was there during a revolution, he was working with a Team. My brother said they had a murder an hour for 24 straight hours.
Not like a murder we have, these were machete attacks, brutal, bloody and effective.

Sounds about like everything I've heard.

chuckman
09-24-22, 06:53
So I know a handful of people who do various work in places in Africa, I have never heard about a fantastic place to go visit in Africa.

I know a couple real old timers who did Safari's back in the 70s and they said it was the best hunting of their life, but still not sure they had anything great to say about Africa itself. The food they ate was what they brought with them and what they shot that day. They slept in tents and trucks, they crapped outside. I think it was just the experience of living off the land and hunting big shit that can kill you that was the attraction.

I think the best "conflict" deployment I ever heard of was Thailand. I didn't even know we had a recent conflict in Thailand but I know some guys who got sent there to handle whatever the hell was going on. They absolutely loved it.

East Africa isn't so bad. Kenya, Tanzania are alright. Some of the SF and MARSOC guys like Angola, I haven't been there. But draw a curved line from Somalia, up to Ethiopia, Sudan, Chad, Niger, Mali. Horrible.

Haiti is awful. Thailand is one of the best places on earth.

Alpha-17
09-24-22, 06:53
Haiti, by like a lot. Africa, at least Djibouti and Tanzania were miles and miles better in every possible way. I'm sure there are areas of the Dark Continent that would rival Haiti, but by God's grace, I never had the misfortune to deploy there.

gsd2053
09-24-22, 07:46
I live in a world of shit.

HKGuns
09-24-22, 08:36
A smelly HY80 nuclear shit tube >400 feet under water. Ya'll had sunshine at least.

WillBrink
09-24-22, 09:32
A smelly HY80 nuclear shit tube >400 feet under water. Ya'll had sunshine at least.

How long? What were you doing down there? My uncle was a Lt sub commander in WWII, did two tours getting chased around by the Japanese. I was in a similar sub for about 20 mins and I could not believe how they survived in that thing, it was the most miserable place I have been, and that was without the added stress of knowing there were ships above me trying to kill all of us. I'm not claustrophobic but how anyone could volunteer for the sub service at that time is a mystery to me.

He cut off two fingers while drunk on a table saw and went to bed. Didn't even notice until the next day. Lost a lot of blood, but didn't die. Dude was a hard man. He did join AA after that however as even he decided that was a pretty good sign his drinking was out of his control.

HKGuns
09-24-22, 09:56
How long? What were you doing down there? My uncle was a Lt sub commander in WWII, did two tours getting chased around by the Japanese. I was in a similar sub for about 20 mins and I could not believe how they survived in that thing, it was the most miserable place I have been, and that was without the added stress of knowing there were ships above me trying to kill all of us. I'm not claustrophobic but how anyone could volunteer for the sub service at that time is a mystery to me.

He cut off two fingers while drunk on a table saw and went to bed. Didn't even notice until the next day. Lost a lot of blood, but didn't die. Dude was a hard man. He did join AA after that however as even he decided that was a pretty good sign his drinking was out of his control.

The length of deployments varied, we were usually always at sea. If not deployed, training for deployment. Depending on the operating area deployments lasted anywhere from 2-8 months.

Med runs were hot and North Atlantic missions were cold and long. I was in an E-lint role, 12 on 12 off, as there were only two of us on the boat. Other than PM's we only "worked" when at periscope depth, so it got pretty boring at times.

Everyone made fun of the part time Boomer sailors who had a fixed schedule and were at sea far less than we were. The average civillian doesn't realize the sacrifices people make for this banana republic. Being away for such extended periods, without communication, is harder on the families than people can even imagine.

When pier-side, we were back on the boat every 3 days for 24 hours, in addition to the normal work week. Mostly to baby sit the reactor, its support systems and other systems that can kill you or sink it. We were usually short of qualified personnel so every 3 days was normal, it was an absolute luxury to have 4 sections of duty personnel.

ETA: We did some really interesting operations and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything looking back. Under water deploying Seals and Marines into the ocean was one of them, except that having them onboard used up all the beds. I was sleeping in the Torpedo room, next to a MK48 and not too far from a tactical that I can neither confirm or deny we were carrying.

WillBrink
09-24-22, 13:12
Another vote for Africa as the worse place to spend time. Isolated 'Muricans who bitch about the US really need to spend more time out of the US. Everyone should spend at least 6 months out of the US at lease once in their life:

Former CIA Operative Reveals The Worst Place He Ever Traveled Too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tY_ZL1uJw-k

Joelski
09-24-22, 14:04
Gotta agree. Africa is chock full of places I'd rather not see. Much is made of the "Gold Coast of the Dark Continent" here in the states, but in reality they have nearly as many lethal creepies, plus all those great hemorrhagic fevers featured in movies like Outbreak. Pardon me, but no, I'm not comfortable around bugs that can make you die by bleeding out of your asshole, not to mention your nose, ears, tear ducts, and delicate skin structures like nipples and genitalia. Ebola is the surface, and I hope we never import any of that shit in mass quantities over here. Back in 2015, the CDC claimed they were weeks to months from having a vaccine (Heard that story somewhere? ;)) that would relegate EVD to the likes of minor dysentery. Did you ever hear any more about that one? I haven't either.

Plus, Tarzan nailed it: "I don't want to go back there because it's hot".

Harpoon
09-24-22, 14:10
ETA: We did some really interesting operations and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything looking back. Under water deploying Seals and Marines into the ocean was one of them, except that having them onboard used up all the beds. I was sleeping in the Torpedo room, next to a MK48 and not too far from a tactical that I can neither confirm or deny we were carrying.

Back in the day, I thought that every attack sub carried a Silver Bullet. :dirol:

chuckman
09-24-22, 14:39
Gotta agree. Africa is chock full of places I'd rather not see. Much is made of the "Gold Coast of the Dark Continent" here in the states, but in reality they have nearly as many lethal creepies, plus all those great hemorrhagic fevers featured in movies like Outbreak. Pardon me, but no, I'm not comfortable around bugs that can make you die by bleeding out of your asshole, not to mention your nose, ears, tear ducts, and delicate skin structures like nipples and genitalia. Ebola is the surface, and I hope we never import any of that shit in mass quantities over here. Back in 2015, the CDC claimed they were weeks to months from having a vaccine (Heard that story somewhere? ;)) that would relegate EVD to the likes of minor dysentery. Did you ever hear any more about that one? I haven't either.

Plus, Tarzan nailed it: "I don't want to go back there because it's hot".

Re: vaccine, there's a lot on this. It's more than 'just' that

But yes, almost everything in Africa wants to kill you.

HKGuns
09-24-22, 16:30
Back in the day, I thought that every attack sub carried a Silver Bullet. :dirol:

At least one, along with a namesake or several mayhaps. I was more concerned with the Tritium in the Torp room than I was walking quickly through the RC looking down through the floor.

Todd00000
09-24-22, 17:23
Northeast Africa sucks. The base on Djibouti is ok for what it is, and it is small.

WillBrink
09-24-22, 17:35

Only thing I ever worry about are the two legged varmints. They are always the most dangerous.

SteyrAUG
09-24-22, 21:11
Only thing I ever worry about are the two legged varmints. They are always the most dangerous.

Not sure, you forget to shake out your boots one time in the morning before putting them on and it could be the end.

yoni
09-25-22, 13:15

disagree 100% EVERYTHING in Africa wants to kill you

yoni
09-25-22, 13:17

Tell me that after your first face to face encounter with a black mamba, or a hipo.

WillBrink
09-25-22, 15:24
Tell me that after your first face to face encounter with a black mamba, or a hipo.

Statically speaking, what is most likley to kill you by a wide margin in Africa?

yoni
09-25-22, 15:34
Statically speaking, what is most likley to kill you by a wide margin in Africa?

hipo kills more people in terms of animals.

Malaria would be my guess.

chuckman
09-25-22, 15:51

Amoebic dysentery followed by bug-vectored disease, but I get your point. I was always more concerned about flora and fauna than people.

yoni
09-25-22, 16:00
The people shooting at me could not hit a thing.

But the damn mosquito that gave me malaria, efffffffffffffffffffffffffed me up big time.

HKGuns
09-25-22, 16:16

My guess would be Dengue Fever in Africa.

yoni
09-25-22, 16:32
Diarrhea

About 603,000 people died from diarrhea in 2012, accounting for 6.7% of total deaths. Diarrheal diseases are caused by bacteria, viruses, and parasites which lead to dehydration. Most of these diseases are as a result of drinking unsafe water and inadequate sanitation. Children under the age of five are worst affected and likely to die from diarrhea.
Malaria

Malaria is transmitted by mosquitos, the insect vectors of the malarial parasite Plasmodium. It is one of the leading causes of death in Africa, with an estimated 554,000 deaths in 2012. Children under five years of age are highly susceptible to the disease with over 41% of children deaths attributed to malaria alone. Of all the global deaths from malaria, 92% of them were found in Africa. One of the reasons for the high malaria prevalence is because of the tropical climate which provides a good habitat for the breeding of mosquito. Additionally, preventive measures and systems are inadequate to deal with emerging malaria cases.

kaiservontexas
09-25-22, 16:43
I would figure that the lack of proper potable water is their biggest survival concern for most of the continent of Africa. I know from neighbors and later on care givers, who were from Cameroon (caregivers I forgot where the neighbors came) They would bring up water issues more then anything else. Heck one of the caregivers went back real quick to help her mother, and all sorts of political/tribal/whatever violence flared up, and she treated that as if it were no big deal. The neighbors we had actually moved back to Africa because the son started following thug life culture, which is something they loath. The grandmother literally choose taking her grandson and the rest of the family back to Africa; so, that in her words would be raised to have proper respect in life. I cannot imagine choosing Africa over America because of cultural upsets. Caregivers did not like that thug life stuff either. Anyway, water was always treated by our caregivers as if it were as precious as gold.

WillBrink
09-25-22, 16:59

Including two legged animals? I doubt it's even close by a very wide margin.

I'm talking about larger than germ/bacteria sized for sure.

chuckman
09-25-22, 17:20
Amoebic dysentery. I said it already. Probably closely followed by cholera.