PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Phones

AndyLate
09-24-22, 09:19
My phone is dying, it won't charge. I plan to swap the battery (warrantied) but I think its the end.
Its only 7 years old, so I am disappointed with Samsung. Are there better phones with an SD slot and maybe not completely made in Chyna?

Andy

P.S. Dont say iPhone, I seriously doubt there is a 7 year old iPhone operating on a US network.

Sam
09-24-22, 09:21
They stopped calling those things mobile for 20 years. They are cell phones. ��

AndyLate
09-24-22, 09:25
They stopped calling those things mobile for 20 years. They are cell phones. ��

Only in the US, I am sofistkated.

Andy

kerplode
09-24-22, 09:35
My phone is dying, it won't charge. I plan to swap the battery (warrantied) but I think its the end.
Its only 7 years old, so I am disappointed with Samsung. Are there better phones with an SD slot and maybe not completely made in Chyna?

Andy

P.S. Dont say iPhone, I seriously doubt there is a 7 year old iPhone operating on a US network.

lol! "Only" 7 years old.

So Samsung has factories in Korea and Vietnam, so you should probably stick with them. You're gonna still get plenty of stuff from China in them, though. And don't be mad that your cell phone "only" lasted 7 years...It was designed to last 4.

Re Iphones, I just recently replaced a first generation SE from 2016. I dropped it and broke it and it wasn't worth repairing since it wasn't eligible for iOS 15. Anyway, had it not fallen, it could have easily gone a couple more years. I'm fairly sure some boomer somewhere is still happily using an iPhone 5 to look at pictures of little Suzie and to field car warranty calls and social security scams.

AndyLate
09-24-22, 09:44
I accept that a majority of any commercial phone is sourced from China.

I did not realize that the older iPhones still work, the hip kids at work told me that Apple pushes updates that slow the phones to the point of unusability. Of course they also shake their heads when I pull out my phone, so they probably aren't as smart as they think they are.

No question in my mind that iPhones are well engineered and well built from quality materials. Personal choice not to buy one.

Andy

georgeib
09-24-22, 10:45
FWIW, iPhones are made in China by people that work in factories with suicide nets surrounding the building, while Samsung phones are built in South Korea and Vietnam. Choose wisely.

Inkslinger
09-24-22, 11:12
FWIW, iPhones are made in China by people that work in factories with suicide nets surrounding the building, while Samsung phones are built in South Korea and Vietnam. Choose wisely.

Less communists the better. We get a good phone, they get less people. Win win.

WillBrink
09-24-22, 11:36

Andy

I left the Iphone cult after having nothing but since they came out, and been happy with One Plus . They rate very well compared to others, and less $. I'm a Mac guy since they started, never owned anything but Apples in comps and phones, but could not justify 1k+ for a damn phone. Research brought me to the One Plus, and I have had 3 to date. It was a PITA to learn a new OS, but after that, no complaints: https://www.oneplus.com/

kaiservontexas
09-24-22, 12:36
Question Will, or anybody else who has done this, how hard is it to move or get all the multimedia owned (mp3s, ebooks, etc) over and working on android os? I am thinking of getting out of the iOS walled garden.

WillBrink
09-24-22, 12:39
Question Will, or anybody else who has done this, how hard is it to move or get all the multimedia owned (mp3s, ebooks, etc) over and working on android os? I am thinking of getting out of the iOS walled garden.

I didn't have a lot of drama over it as I recall and it's much easier than it used be. Best to is upload back ups some where to make sure it's not lost while mucking around.

SteyrAUG
09-24-22, 13:42

Only 8% are built in Korea, the rest in Vietnam, India, Brazil and China.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-24-22, 14:16
Speaking of Samsung... was looking at phones last week. The Samsung that folds open to a much larger screen looks pretty sweet. From what little I've read over the years, Samsung tends to be a superior performer to Apple's iPhone, with Apple having an edge in ease of use for non-techies and seamless compatibility within Apple's so-called ecosystem.

We're an Apple-everything family. Been using an iPhone7 (came out in 2016). Works quite well for the typical stuff... navigation, finance, streaming media... yada yada... even for making a phone call, ha! Still updates to the latest and greatest iOS, and runs just as well as it ever did. I read folks suffering anxiety about newer iOS slowing down older phones but haven't noticed it. Apple will probably drop support for the 7 soon but I assume it will conitnue to work ok as does the wife's iPhone6 that Apple dropped a couple years ago.

If you're otherwise happy with the phone but the battery is old, get a new battery. A few years ago the wife got a new battery installed in her 6 at Batteries Plus. $60 installed. Like new.

Got an iPhone14 last week just cuz I wanted an Apple Watch8 which requires an iPhone8 or later... sigh. Oh well... the 14 it's snappy, a bit nicer screen and has a lot more memory than the 7. Will keep the 7 in the truck for when I forget my phone at home. Wife does the same keeping the old 6 in her van.

Happy cell phone hunting.

Todd.K
09-24-22, 15:09
I left the Iphone cult after having nothing but since they came out, and been happy with One Plus

Apple sells shiny new gadgets, Google sells you.

ChattanoogaPhil
09-24-22, 19:08
WillBrink “ I'm a Mac guy since they started,”

We began using Apple products in 2010 with an iMac, MacBook, iPad and a couple iPhone4s. All have since been replaced but the 27in iMac (upgraded memory and a 4TB drive) works better than new.

Like you say the new iPhones are pricey but some carriers have heavy discounts. We use Xfinity mobile. $400 discount on the $799 iPhone 14. $400 or even a $1,000 phone that will likely last 5+ years is pretty much free the way I look at it. Carrier costs are kinda like ammo… dwarfing the price of hardware over time.

Todd.K
09-24-22, 19:47

It’s a seven year old battery and you don’t think that will be the problem?

The next obvious thing is going to be the charging port. As much as I hate to admit it, Apple was totally right on micro USB being weak. That little tab in the middle is fragile, it can crack without coming out or looking broken, then you will get poor, intermittent, or no charging.

AndyLate
09-24-22, 20:18
It’s a seven year old battery and you don’t think that will be the problem?

The next obvious thing is going to be the charging port. As much as I hate to admit it, Apple was totally right on micro USB being weak. That little tab in the middle is fragile, it can crack without coming out or looking broken, then you will get poor, intermittent, or no charging.

Its on battery 4 or 5. Went to Batteries Plus and exchanged the battery I bought about 2 months ago. Its charging now.

Yeah, micro USB is not great, especially the cables. USB C is a much better design, although wireless charging even makes that obsolete.

Andy

JDH1
09-24-22, 21:02
Is it 5G capable? If not you need to upgrade it.

robbins290
09-27-22, 09:44
I had an iphone for a long long time. 8 years i think. Only had to replace it because the phone go wet. replace the battery every 3-4 years and it should last a while. Granted, I only use mine for call and text.

markm
09-27-22, 11:57
Its only 7 years old,

Your self worth needs to be WAY more tied to your mobile fone.

Coal Dragger
09-27-22, 12:58

Andy

Hate to tell you this but my wife had an 8 year old iPhone that she just replaced last week. We’ve had better luck with iPhones than anything else.

everready73
09-27-22, 13:21
7 years is pretty ancient for a phone these days so i would say you did good

If you want a decent phone that works and wont break the bank look at the Motorola line, the Moto G in particular. I have recommended to several family/friends and all good feedback. You can get some of the models new for $200 or less, so no making payments to your carrier, or if you are on prepaid you can just buy outright and put it on your line.

This one is worth a look

https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-power-gen-3/p?skuId=678

If you want to spend more the newer Samsung S22+ is really nice. Carriers sometimes offer these for really good deals

Defaultmp3
09-27-22, 15:44
iPhones might slow down due to the updates, but at least you'd be getting updates. One of Android's primary weaknesses is the variability in the support on OS updates across different phones and brands (I say this as a die-hard Android user).

hotbiggun42
09-28-22, 08:36
Stop buying chinese phones.

davidjinks
09-28-22, 09:35
Side note: anyone have any recommendations of a non-smart phone. Something that I can make calls and send/receive text messages. Nothing else, just that. I have an iPad for everything else.

Defaultmp3
09-28-22, 10:26
Stop buying chinese phones.What's a Chinese phone?

Everyone wants to trot out buying phones made outside of the PRC. Except... how much are you really doing? Where are the sensors, PCBs, LEDs, batteries, etc. being made? Just because assembly is happening outside the PRC doesn't mean that you're magically not supporting the Chinese economy. Globalization has been a thing for the last two decades. Get over yourselves.

No doubt, the PRC is the enemy, but bringing out these same tired lines over and over again is nothing but you jerking off to your own virtue signaling. If you buy an iPhone 14, sure, you're supporting the PRC economy in some way, but you're also supporting the ROC economy (Foxconn), the USA economy (Apple), and the Irish economy (Apple using Ireland as a tax haven). Is that better or worse than buying a Samsung that's ostensibly made in Vietnam with PRC and ROK parts, and thus provides support to two Communist states while providing much less benefit to the USA? The supply chain is complicated, so please, just stop with these one-liners that change no one's minds to begin with.

kerplode
09-28-22, 11:02

Lol. OK boomer.

Guess where the MAJORITY of electronics components are made. It's not Korea and it's not Taiwan...

Now guess how much Chinese shit ends up inside a Samsung device assembled in Korea. I'll give you a hint...A ****ing lot.

And what magical made in America device do you happen to be using to post your fantastic take on globalization to our primarily-runs-on-Chinese-made-electronics internet? We'd all like to know...

Todd.K
09-28-22, 11:22

Stop buying google phones.

Google has far greater ability to destroy us from within than China does from the outside.

themonk
09-28-22, 11:23
You probably want to look at the Samsung Galaxy A phones (not S) - best bang for your buck.

hotbiggun42
09-28-22, 15:31
So is it ok to buy Holosun now?

Sam
09-28-22, 17:55
7 years is pretty ancient for a phone these days so i would say you did good

If you want a decent phone that works and wont break the bank look at the Motorola line, the Moto G in particular. I have recommended to several family/friends and all good feedback. You can get some of the models new for $200 or less, so no making payments to your carrier, or if you are on prepaid you can just buy outright and put it on your line.

This one is worth a look

https://www.motorola.com/us/smartphones-moto-g-power-gen-3/p?skuId=678

If you want to spend more the newer Samsung S22+ is really nice. Carriers sometimes offer these for really good deals

We have two Motorola G7 Power, bought them on sale for $200. Love them.

No way I'm going to pay $1000 on the rotten apple or $1200 for the Samsung fold up phone. We don't have to have the latest shiny gizmo.

AndyLate
09-28-22, 20:02
iPhones might slow down due to the updates, but at least you'd be getting updates. One of Android's primary weaknesses is the variability in the support on OS updates across different phones and brands (I say this as a die-hard Android user).

You are spot-on with Android. The "open" phone O/S isn't. Not just phones or brands, carriers also affect update support unless you want to jailbreak the phone. There are a couple apps I would use but my version is not compatible and I cannot update, but no show stoppers yet.

Regarding the Chinese built or parts-sourced phones - buying a not-the-newest-model phone every 4 or 5 years puts a lot less gold in their coffers than buying a "cutting edge" phone every 2 or 3. Phone technology is very much evolutionary right now anyway.

Andy

ubet
09-28-22, 20:16
I got my first android in 2009 I think, an htc incredible. Had htc or Samsung until 2019 when I bought my first iPhone. I have to say, I couldn’t go back. My wife still uses Samsung. Every time I’m on hers and open up an app, their are ads everywhere, ads playing full screen you have to watch to get to the app. None of that happens with apple. The most ads I get are using tapatalk for this forum and it drives me nuts. I couldn’t go back to android. The updates are helter skelter, the os is ok, but the ads and everything else are really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKDoug
09-28-22, 23:22
I never had an update slow down any of my Iphones. I'm only on my third one in 12 years and the latest was new in January. I basically got 6 years out of an IP4 and 6years out of a 7S. I didn't want one of the huge phones so I'm running a 2nd Gen SE.

Defaultmp3
09-29-22, 00:29
I never had an update slow down any of my Iphones. I'm only on my third one in 12 years and the latest was new in January. I basically got 6 years out of an IP4 and 6years out of a 7S. I didn't want one of the huge phones so I'm running a 2nd Gen SE.Perhaps you just didn't notice, but Apple definitely slowed down older iPhones with some of their updates, there was actually a lawsuit over it in which Apple was fined. That being said, Apple's reasoning behind it isn't crazy (older phones typically have older batteries that are less able to provide the output needed for maximum performance as the batteries wear out), and AFAIK, it's generally not super noticeable outside of benchmarks or if you're constantly running demanding applications. I would say most of the outrage is from the fact that Apple did this without telling anyone until they got busted for it.

Buncheong
09-29-22, 01:44
the hip kids at work told me that Apple pushes updates that slow the phones to the point of unusability.

This has been my experience in spades. For whatever it's worth.

TMS951
09-29-22, 07:11
Phones have such rapidly changing technology I feel like 7 years is an absurd amount of time.

You’ll get a significant technology jump buying a new phone.

A point I don’t understand on people being cheap about phones. It’s like buying a cheap mattress. How much time do you spend on this thing a day? Hours? Do you rely on it constantly for critical information and connectivity? Yes?

So using is 1000$ phone for 7 years is under 40 cents a day. I’d say you are still getting a great value at 3 years and 1$ a day.

To each their own.

robbins290
09-29-22, 07:32
Phones have such rapidly changing technology I feel like 7 years is an absurd amount of time.

You’ll get a significant technology jump buying a new phone.

A point I don’t understand on people being cheap about phones. It’s like buying a cheap mattress. How much time do you spend on this thing a day? Hours? Do you rely on it constantly for critical information and connectivity? Yes?

So using is 1000$ phone for 7 years is under 40 cents a day. I’d say you are still getting a great value at 3 years and 1$ a day.

To each their own.

I agree, when I updated, I did not get the latest and greatest. Never have, But I can get over 5 years on an Iphone. I still have a working 4S that I use as an Ipod.

P2Vaircrewman
09-29-22, 08:50
I have a iPhone 7 from 2017. A few years ago it started having short battery life. I sent it to Apple requesting a new battery. I got it back in 5 days with a letter saying it didn't need a new battery, they did some upgrades to it and it was preforming up to spec, no charge. It's still on the same battery today.

themonk
09-29-22, 09:38
I got my first android in 2009 I think, an htc incredible. Had htc or Samsung until 2019 when I bought my first iPhone. I have to say, I couldn’t go back. My wife still uses Samsung. Every time I’m on hers and open up an app, their are ads everywhere, ads playing full screen you have to watch to get to the app. None of that happens with apple. The most ads I get are using tapatalk for this forum and it drives me nuts. I couldn’t go back to android. The updates are helter skelter, the os is ok, but the ads and everything else are really annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think this has to do with the phone, network, or the way she has it setup. I have a S22 Ultra on Verizon and get a new top of the line phone every year. I have not seen an ad unless it was in some crappy app in at least 5 or 6 years. This is not an android problem.

kerplode
09-29-22, 11:32
I would say most of the outrage is from the fact that Apple did this without telling anyone until they got busted for it.

Yeah, this is true. The actual performance hit was small, but Apple wasn't up front about it. I kinda think the outcry would have been bigger if a bunch of users phones just starting shutting down three or four times a day because their janky old battery couldn't supply peak power, but whatever.

So, at the end of the day, Samsung makes really nice hardware, but Google is shady as shit, so I will never go back to Android. Apple, for all their faults, is at least an order of magnitude more trustworthy than Google in protecting user's data privacy.

Defaultmp3
09-29-22, 11:43
So, at the end of the day, Samsung makes really nice hardware, but Google is shady as shit, so I will never go back to Android. Apple, for all their faults, is at least an order of magnitude more trustworthy than Google in protecting user's data privacy.If you're that concerned about data protection, have you considered going with something like GrapheneOS, LineageOS, or CalyxOS?

themonk
09-29-22, 11:49
Yeah, this is true. The actual performance hit was small, but Apple wasn't up front about it. I kinda think the outcry would have been bigger if a bunch of users phones just starting shutting down three or four times a day because their janky old battery couldn't supply peak power, but whatever.

So, at the end of the day, Samsung makes really nice hardware, but Google is shady as shit, so I will never go back to Android. Apple, for all their faults, is at least an order of magnitude more trustworthy than Google in protecting user's data privacy.

Why is Google shady?

kerplode
09-29-22, 12:45
Why is Google shady?

Because you are their product. Their services largely serve as a way for them to harvest your information to sell to advertisers, etc.

Now, having said that, I do my best to avoid them, but I do have a old Gmail address that became my primary over the years...It has a lot of inertia now, to the point that changing is difficult. I'd love to move that somewhere else. I'll have to start working on it...

Todd.K
09-29-22, 13:36
Why is Google shady?

Google search bias, gmail political bias, and YouTube censorship are even bigger issues to ME, than the privacy concerns.

You know every movie about a dystopian future where some mega corporation controls the people? That corporation is Google.

themonk
09-29-22, 13:39
Because you are their product. Their services largely serve as a way for them to harvest your information to sell to advertisers, etc.

Now, having said that, I do my best to avoid them, but I do have a old Gmail address that became my primary over the years...It has a lot of inertia now, to the point that changing is difficult. I'd love to move that somewhere else. I'll have to start working on it...

They index the web and then sell ads on top of that search index. They do keep all that data and create a profiles for those users that use their services including search. They don't sell that data to anyone and have an excellent track record of keeping your data private. Having done work with both companies I am agnostic but dont fool yourself that apple is a saint and does not collect data from their users. The amount of telemetry data along with services data they collect is second to none. And they sell it to 3rd parties and governments.

I am fine if someone wants to say they all suck but dont try to tell me one of big 5 is better than the other. The only current technology that is Solid, private, and safe is Signal.

themonk
09-29-22, 14:13
Google search bias, gmail political bias, and YouTube censorship are even bigger issues to ME, than the privacy concerns.

You know every movie about a dystopian future where some mega corporation controls the people? That corporation is Google.

I dont necessarily disagree with you. That being said, all search will have bias, it has to, just the nature of the game.

czgunner
09-29-22, 14:51
I run a degoogled phone with lineage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Todd.K
09-29-22, 14:55
Who controls over 90 percent of searches WORLDWIDE?

Todd.K
09-29-22, 15:09
I run a degoogled phone with lineage.

How do we know how much security is in an open source OS? How well do they find and patch security issues? How long will it be supported?

I am not an Apple fan, they are the lesser evil than Google for now. I could see myself moving in that direction at some point but have a lot of questions first.

Defaultmp3
09-29-22, 15:24
How do we know how much security is in an open source OS? How well do they find and patch security issues? How long will it be supported?Uh... what? All the questions you pose are inherently more problematic for something closed source. With open source, the transparency makes the security much more obvious. Finding issues and patching now becomes much more predictable because everything is out in the open. With closed source, you are at the mercy of the developers, and they don't necessarily have users' best interests at heart. Closed source software certainly has some advantages in terms of security, but open source will have a much higher ceiling when it comes to security.

czgunner
09-29-22, 16:22
How do we know how much security is in an open source OS? How well do they find and patch security issues? How long will it be supported?

I am not an Apple fan, they are the lesser evil than Google for now. I could see myself moving in that direction at some point but have a lot of questions first.Seriously? You trust Google and Apple more than an open source code?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Todd.K
09-29-22, 17:37
I wouldn’t say I trust anyone, but don’t they make money keeping me as a customer?

Do they not hire competent people?

Do they not have a reputation to guard?

How does the open source make money, where is their motivation?

Defaultmp3
09-29-22, 18:58
I wouldn’t say I trust anyone, but don’t they make money keeping me as a customer?

Do they not hire competent people?

Do they not have a reputation to guard?

How does the open source make money, where is their motivation?Err... you really don't deal very much with the tech industry, do you?

Open source developers also make money by being paid a salary. Open source doesn't mean free without buying, after all.

“Free software” means software that respects users' freedom and community. Roughly, it means that the users have the freedom to run, copy, distribute, study, change and improve the software. Thus, “free software” is a matter of liberty, not price. To understand the concept, you should think of “free” as in “free speech,” not as in “free beer.” We sometimes call it “libre software,” borrowing the French or Spanish word for “free” as in freedom, to show we do not mean the software is gratis.

You may have paid money to get copies of a free program, or you may have obtained copies at no charge. But regardless of how you got your copies, you always have the freedom to copy and change the software, even to sell copies. - GNU Project

You're absolutely right that companies have a reputation to guard. This also means that they can just as easily engage in obfuscation and suppression to maintain that reputation, rather than necessarily fixing the problem (just look at the criticisms of the Apple Security Bounty program). Their obligation is to their shareholders or owners, not to the users. Open source software typically cannot do that, because everything is in the open and transparent. Large and well-established open source softwares, including some of the more popular secure Android options, have a huge number of eyes going over the code constantly, whether it be due to being paid to do so, out of professional pride, hobbyist enthusiasm, or duty-driven due to ethical considerations.

An easy example is, what is generally considered to be the most secure mobile messaging platform these days? Most would agree that's is Signal, rather than one of the FAANG products... despite Signal being open source, while Messenger, iMessenger, WhatsApp, Hangouts, Teams, etc., are all considered to be less secure despite being products of tech giants. If you go and search out what the most secure OSes are, whether it be for mobile or for computers, you'll see that the general consensus will always be some flavor of an open source product (GrapheneOS for mobiles, one of the various more secure Linux distros for computers). Remember, the larger companies need to make concessions for usability; many of the open source projects are designed with security as the primary consideration, and user experience takes a backseat. I'm sure Apple could make an ultra-secure version of iOS... but they'll never release it for general use.

AKDoug
09-29-22, 21:33
Perhaps you just didn't notice, but Apple definitely slowed down older iPhones with some of their updates, there was actually a lawsuit over it in which Apple was fined. That being said, Apple's reasoning behind it isn't crazy (older phones typically have older batteries that are less able to provide the output needed for maximum performance as the batteries wear out), and AFAIK, it's generally not super noticeable outside of benchmarks or if you're constantly running demanding applications. I would say most of the outrage is from the fact that Apple did this without telling anyone until they got busted for it.

That's probably it. I don't do shit on my phone compared to most people.

Todd.K
09-30-22, 13:49
If you go and search out what the most secure OSes are, whether it be for mobile or for computers, you'll see that the general consensus will always be some flavor of an open source product (GrapheneOS for mobiles, one of the various more secure Linux distros for computers). Remember, the larger companies need to make concessions for usability; many of the open source projects are designed with security as the primary consideration, and user experience takes a backseat. I'm sure Apple could make an ultra-secure version of iOS... but they'll never release it for general use.

Interesting, and things I’ve wanted to learn more about. As I haven’t really found a place to start researching yet, where would a user (not tech junky) find quality info?

How much of the security you are talking about is general privacy from tracking apps vs NSA reading my texts vs safe to do banking on?

robbins290
09-30-22, 13:57
That's probably it. I don't do shit on my phone compared to most people.

Same, I never noticed the old iphone i had slow down. I just ran it until it wont turn on. All I use it for is text, rarely call the people I can not text, use the calculator and check the date once and a while.

Oh and stream music when running my tractor. Thats it. I dont do banking or anything. They can slow it down all they want. As long as I will still send a text.

AKDoug
09-30-22, 14:14
Same, I never noticed the old iphone i had slow down. I just ran it until it wont turn on. All I use it for is text, rarely call the people I can not text, use the calculator and check the date once and a while.

Oh and stream music when running my tractor. Thats it. I dont do banking or anything. They can slow it down all they want. As long as I will still send a text.

It's funny, I think my phone time is dominated by playing music in my truck and through my headphones while on my machinery. Second biggest use is navigation.

Defaultmp3
09-30-22, 14:23
Interesting, and things I’ve wanted to learn more about. As I haven’t really found a place to start researching yet, where would a user (not tech junky) find quality info?

How much of the security you are talking about is general privacy from tracking apps vs NSA reading my texts vs safe to do banking on?Security is many things. Think of a secure OS is what provides a solid foundation. All three of the use cases you listed don't really mean anything really in the context that we're talking about because some of them cover multiple layers while others are vague in meaning.

For example, if you decide to use GrapheneOS on your phone, the OS gives you much more control over what kind of tracking can be done on you, along with not having any built-in apps that provides tracking. However, this also can greatly reduce useability, so you may end up installing your old apps... and you're back to being tracked to a certain extent.

Another example is, NSA reading your texts. What you do you mean by texts? Do you specifically mean SMS? Do you mean any messaging app in general? When you say "read", do you mean intercept on route in realtime? Digging out your messages using forensics on your phone? Reading them on some remote server that had stored them? Etc.

A secure OS gives you a solid foundation to build on, but if you use unsecure apps on top of it, then you're back to where you started. Using secure apps on top of a non-security-oriented OS means that at the deepest level you're still open to exploitation. You need to make your own decisions on what your threat levels are and how much effort you're willing to put into it.

No idea on education, I'm a software engineer that's always been a techie, so I don't know what resources would be suitable to folks that don't have a foundational understanding of computers and programming.

robbins290
09-30-22, 14:49
It's funny, I think my phone time is dominated by playing music in my truck and through my headphones while on my machinery. Second biggest use is navigation.

I do not use the navigation in mine, I used a Garmin GPS, I hate the routes the apple maps does and can not change them. Where the garmin has 4 route styles. I also rarely use navigation, most of my state is easy to driver thru.

And if was not for music, I would have lost my mind, specially if you are on equipment for 10 or so hours. Even when I ride my ATV, I stream music.

AKDoug
09-30-22, 16:29
I do not use the navigation in mine, I used a Garmin GPS, I hate the routes the apple maps does and can not change them. Where the garmin has 4 route styles. I also rarely use navigation, most of my state is easy to driver thru.

And if was not for music, I would have lost my mind, specially if you are on equipment for 10 or so hours. Even when I ride my ATV, I stream music.

I use OnX hunt for offroad use. Combined with a 3M Worktunes headset, I have music and navigation even on my snowmobile. I agree on the equipment thing and loosing my mind. My new Cat equipment now have BT radios that I can attach to.

robbins290
09-30-22, 19:33
I use OnX hunt for offroad use. Combined with a 3M Worktunes headset, I have music and navigation even on my snowmobile. I agree on the equipment thing and loosing my mind. My new Cat equipment now have BT radios that I can attach to.

Nice. My land is not that big so i dont need navigation. But yes. The work tunes are where its at. Love that they last for long time before dying. My tractor does not have a usb charger like some. But i do always keep a battery bank in my pocket

ChattanoogaPhil
10-04-22, 14:47
Never had a so-called smart watch but recently purchased Apple Watch8. To my surprise it's useful for most of my needs and not difficult to read even with my old and tired eyes. My iPhone is getting left at home much of the time. That said, for those that have a phone stuffed in their face all day it wouldn't be practical.

usmcvet
10-05-22, 19:15

Andy

Librem 5 USA From: $1,999.00

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5-usa/#table-of-origin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_VujQqYRWg&ab_channel=Purism

“If you want a smartphone built outside China and the walled gardens of Google and Apple, Purism’s Librem 5 USA may be for you.”

– The Register –

Librem 5 From: $1,299

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Firefly
10-06-22, 08:31
Just get an iPhone. Pretty much 99% of you are normies. An iPhone does everything and has a sensible ecosystem. Anyone steering you away from iPhone needs a kick in the balls.

That said my other two phones are a Huawei P50(solely for photos/travel) and a 5 year old LG running GrapheneOS

DonÂ’t spend $1300 dollars on something that does the exact same thing as my $50 LG Nexus and a little time rooting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywo-NT8K6B4

Also get your black asses some Linux or Mac, STOP USING GOOGLE CHROME, and fer goawdsakes stop using HPs and Acers