PDA

View Full Version : This is disturbing

Alpha Sierra
12-23-08, 12:15
NYPD "shocked" by acquital of accused police killer (http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/1767090-N-Y-cops-shocked-by-suspects-acquittal-in-officers-murder/)

What is disturbing is not that an accused police killer was found not guilty. What is disturbing is the reaction of the NYPD and the PBA. Evidently, according to them, jury deliberations are sham and a trial is merely a formality. They say Ellis was guilty and that is that.

I am not a friend of cop killers or criminals, but the NYPD's disdain for our system of jury trials and burden of proof is frightening.

Jay Cunningham
12-23-08, 12:21
I read it and am trying to find the reaction that you accuse them of. I read people pissed off at the verdict and angry at the death of some of their teammates and brother officers.

I think you read a helluva lot into that.

M4arc
12-23-08, 12:28
NYPD "shocked" by acquital of accused police killer (http://www.policeone.com/legal/articles/1767090-N-Y-cops-shocked-by-suspects-acquittal-in-officers-murder/)

What is disturbing is not that an accused police killer was found not guilty. What is disturbing is the reaction of the NYPD and the PBA. Evidently, according to them, jury deliberations are sham and a trial is merely a formality. They say Ellis was guilty and that is that.

I am not a friend of cop killers or criminals, but the NYPD's disdain for our system of jury trials and burden of proof is frightening.

Sorry AS but I didn't form the same opinion after reading that article. Sure they were disappointed but no where did I read they thought jury deliberations are sham and a trial were merely a formality. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in their reactions and statements nor did I see any disdain for our current justice system.

Alpha Sierra
12-23-08, 12:30
I read people pissed off at the verdict
On the surface, it would seem so. But this is not the first time I remember police being "angry" at the system for letting those accused of killing a police officer go free.

An enraged Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said the verdict was an insult to every cop on the force.

The reaction I see above seethes with contempt for our system of justice when things do not go the cops' way. It appears that the PBA expects every accused cop killer to be found guilty. It comes accross not in what they say but how it is said.

Think of how different this sounds to what the PBA is screeching above:

Patrick Lynch, president of the Patrolmen's Benevolent Association, said the verdict was disappointing but he understands that such setbacks are part of the rule of law that we all live under.

C4IGrant
12-23-08, 12:34
I am still confused why cop killers are even brought to trial? If caught red handed, they are generally killed on the spot. I like this approach a lot as it saves the tax payers money. ;)

C4

Alpha Sierra
12-23-08, 12:48
I am still confused why cop killers are even brought to trial? If caught red handed, they are generally killed on the spot. I like this approach a lot as it saves the tax payers money. ;)

C4

I agree. But sometimes one person in a car is the trigger puller and the other had no intention of killing anyone and took no active part in the killing yet gets charged with the same crime. That's when these pesky things called trials come in handy.

M4arc
12-23-08, 12:49
On the surface, it would seem so. But this is not the first time I remember police being "angry" at the system for letting those accused of killing a police officer go free.

The reaction I see above seethes with contempt for our system of justice when things do not go the cops' way. It appears that the PBA expects every accused cop killer to be found guilty. It comes accross not in what they say but how it is said.

Think of how different this sounds to what the PBA is screeching above:

I still don't see it dude. Yes it sucks when we don't get what we want but it's our system and it's about as fair as you can get. No where did anyone advocate going around or above the law or throwing it out altogether.

For all we know he's pissed at the DA but he doesn't say that either. There simply isn't enough information there for me to come to the same conclusion that you did.

However, I do agree with Grant ;)

C4IGrant
12-23-08, 12:50
I agree. But sometimes one person in a car is the trigger puller and the other had no intention of killing anyone and took no active part in the killing yet gets charged with the same crime. That's when these pesky things called trials come in handy.

If they drove the cop killer to the scene of the crime, then I find them just as guilty. No need for a trial either.

C4

John_Wayne777
12-23-08, 13:01
Our system lets guilty men go free sometimes...especially when those guilty men have a certain level of melanin in their skin and their attorneys make the case about the history between police and people with that level of melanin in their skin.

Such is life.

The cops are rightly pissed off that the system failed to put a guilty person behind bars...OJ anyone?

We've all bitched about the system at some point because the system isn't perfect. It hammers people it shouldn't. It lets other people who deserve to be drawn and quartered go free.

If we'd elect better politicians and stop letting a bunch of PC wonders have the reigns of power in our system perhaps the ratio of bad outcomes to good ones would be different. Unfortunately that argument isn't going to convince many Obama voters.

If the people of NYC and Chicago and other places ever get tired of crime perhaps they'll start actually doing their jobs when they are on juries and in the voting booth.

In this case there's apparently little dispute that the guy was part of the plot to kill these officers. "I was just drivin', man!!" is about as credible as "These ain't my pants, yo!"

mark5pt56
12-23-08, 14:52
I would say that the fact that he made it to trial speaks for the professionalism of the NYPD.

nighthawk756
12-24-08, 04:30
I read it and am trying to find the reaction that you accuse them of. I read people pissed off at the verdict and angry at the death of some of their teammates and brother officers.

I think you read a helluva lot into that.

Sorry AS but I didn't form the same opinion after reading that article. Sure they were disappointed but no where did I read they thought jury deliberations are sham and a trial were merely a formality. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary in their reactions and statements nor did I see any disdain for our current justice system.

This.

If they drove the cop killer to the scene of the crime, then I find them just as guilty. No need for a trial either.
C4

And this. You can't tell me he had no idea what was going to happen. They usually always do because they're "part" of the plan. Hence the term "get away driver". They HAVE to know what's about to go down to be effective at their job.

sjc3081
12-24-08, 07:08
This is why I posted in a past thread " Don't become a Police Officer the people you are serving don't deserve your sacrifice". Let the sheep and the wolves play, the sheep deserve what they shall receive. The sheep know the wolves are about them and are too sheepish prepare themselves. The sheep hate the Police.

C4IGrant
12-24-08, 09:41
I would say that the fact that he made it to trial speaks for the professionalism of the NYPD.

Ya, no Chit. Doesn't the NYPD have a long history of not having to read cop killers their rights???

G