PDA

View Full Version : My AR Build Parts List

heijutsu
11-19-06, 16:47
Here is a list of the parts that I am thinking about purchasing to build my AR with. I would like to get some comments on what you guys think about these parts and what you would change? My goal is to build the best, most reliable and easiest to maintain AR possible.

1-P-415-16-P9X-SF (SA) P-415 Semi-Full-Auto 16" Upper, With Standard Fluting Under Rail System
2-POF Billet P415 (Semi-Auto) Stripped Lower
3-TIMNEY MFG. P/N# 661 DROP-IN, SINGLE STAGE, TRIGGER GROUP FOR "AMERICA'S RIFLE"
4-CTR Carbine Stock M-Mil Spec
5-CTR Rubber Buttpad
6-MIAD - MIssion ADaptable AR15/M16 Grip Full Kit
7-Folding Battle Sight Set (with tool)
8-Full Length XT Rail Panel (3)
9-EOTech 550 Military Holosight Rev. F
10-SureFire M910A-WH Vertical Foregrip WeaponLight, with thumb-screw mount

Fire Away!

bigbore
11-19-06, 16:57
1-P-415-16-P9X-SF (SA) P-415 Semi-Full-Auto 16" Upper, With Standard Fluting Under Rail System

>If thats what you want.

>buy a relgular lower

3-TIMNEY MFG. P/N# 661 DROP-IN, SINGLE STAGE, TRIGGER GROUP FOR "AMERICA'S RIFLE"

>If you want a blaster, single stage trigger stick with GI

>Are you spending the $ for NVG? If not, buy the 512.

>Too big, too heavy, 6V is PLENTY for a carbine.

>BTW, You forgot a tactical trigger guard;)

rob_s
11-19-06, 17:46

>Too big, too heavy, 6V is PLENTY for a carbine.

I run a 9V and agree. I only use mine for a very specific purpose.

heijutsu
11-20-06, 10:39
Okay, can you elaborate on why you would make different decisions on the parts, i.e. why go with a regular lower as opposed to a billet lower?

rob_s
11-20-06, 11:15
Okay, can you elaborate on why you would make different decisions on the parts, i.e. why go with a regular lower as opposed to a billet lower?
What is the billet lower gaining you?

Milkman
11-20-06, 11:23
Here is a list of the parts that I am thinking about purchasing to build my AR with. I would like to get some comments on what you guys think about these parts and what you would change? My goal is to build the best, most reliable and easiest to maintain AR possible.

The predator Rail is big and bulky, you may want to wait for the DD
A regular lower will cost less and work exactly the same.
Unless you are an early adoptor why not get a proven trigger?
4-CTR Carbine Stock M-Mil Spec
5-CTR Rubber Buttpad
6-MIAD - MIssion ADaptable AR15/M16 Grip Full Kit
Make sure you get the trigger guard insert or the aluminum trigger guard, they are nice to have
7-Folding Battle Sight Set (with tool)
Unless you plan on never using the sights fixed would be a better shoice.
8-Full Length XT Rail Panel (3)
NVG compatible is a waste without NVGs
Huge as mentioned above.

Fire Away!

Opinions in Red.

heijutsu
11-20-06, 11:55
My thoughts are as follows:

I assume that a machined billet lower will be stronger (i.e. last longer) than a cast or forged lower. When you say DD rail, what is it, do you have a picture?
Which trigger available is proven and "bulletproof"? The folding sights are simply as a backup to the Eotech. Another reason I was interested in the POF lower is that it has a built in trigger guard that is larger for those wearing gloves. I shoot outside year round so I can see the benefit there. I am definitely more interested in the benefits over the features of any product.

heijutsu
11-20-06, 12:05
Also as far as Surefire goes, I want a foregrip with light attached and it looks like all of the Surefire's with this option are 9 volt. Is there another brand I should be looking at?

C4IGrant
11-20-06, 12:14
What is the billet lower gaining you?

Several things. The first is precision. The second is flaired mag well (easier mag insertions) and finally finish. The POF billet lowers are the nicest I have ever seen and doubt that I will ever go back to a $90 lower. Its like buying a $800 Kimber and trying to compare it to say the NH Vickers.

The other thing I really like is how billet on billet fit. Meaning putting a VLTOR MUR or VIS on a POF lower is a match made in heaven. The fit between them (without the take down pins installed) was so perfect that a customer asked if I had installed an accuwedge! ;)

C4

C4IGrant
11-20-06, 12:21
My thoughts are as follows:

I assume that a machined billet lower will be stronger (i.e. last longer) than a cast or forged lower. When you say DD rail, what is it, do you have a picture?
Which trigger available is proven and "bulletproof"? The folding sights are simply as a backup to the Eotech. Another reason I was interested in the POF lower is that it has a built in trigger guard that is larger for those wearing gloves. I shoot outside year round so I can see the benefit there. I am definitely more interested in the benefits over the features of any product.

POF is working with Daniel Defense on a rail that will work with their gas system.

The military uses a standard, single stage trigger that has about a10lbs trigger pull. This trigger is great for combat, but not for accuracy. The barrels that POF uses are excellent and known for accuracy so I would want to take advantage of that capability.

The only two combat rated triggers (two stage) are the KAC and Geissele (both used by the Army). The new POF trigger appears to be very well done, but is a new product without a track record. I believe this is the point others were trying to make. Knowing Frank, I am willing to bet that this is a quality trigger and built for abuse.

As far as the light goes, it is a good light, but there are down sides to it. They are heavy, expensive and might be too bright for your needs. Before I sell a light to someone, I always have them ID their reqs (meaning how far do they need to illuminate a target). Then go from there.

C4

rob_s
11-20-06, 12:37
Several things. The first is precision. The second is flaired mag well (easier mag insertions) and finally finish. The POF billet lowers are the nicest I have ever seen and doubt that I will ever go back to a $90 lower. Its like buying a $800 Kimber and trying to compare it to say the NH Vickers.

The other thing I really like is how billet on billet fit. Meaning putting a VLTOR MUR or VIS on a POF lower is a match made in heaven. The fit between them (without the take down pins installed) was so perfect that a customer asked if I had installed an accuwedge! ;)

C4

I wasn't asking you :p

C4IGrant
11-20-06, 13:00
I wasn't asking you :p

Oh sorry, I thought I could shed some light onto why there were better. :D

C4

rob_s
11-20-06, 13:27
Oh sorry, I thought I could shed some light onto why there were better. :D
C4
I wanted to hear what he thought he was gaining, for his intended purposes.

heijutsu
11-20-06, 13:54
C4IGrant,

The info I am getting from POF is that the 9X Predator rail only weighs 14 oz. How mych weight would I be saving going to a DD?

C4IGrant
11-21-06, 19:19
C4IGrant,

The info I am getting from POF is that the 9X Predator rail only weighs 14 oz. How mych weight would I be saving going to a DD?

What length?

C4

heijutsu
11-21-06, 22:41
I believe the 9X is 9" in length. At least that is the length that I want on my AR.

PetesTactical
11-22-06, 01:22
Build it! It sounds great. Almost the same setup I'm running. I think 9V light is minimum, I'm running a 12V M4.

C4IGrant
11-22-06, 08:29
I believe the 9X is 9" in length. At least that is the length that I want on my AR.

The DD 9.0 rail is just over 10 ounces.

C4

C4IGrant
11-22-06, 08:29
Build it! It sounds great. Almost the same setup I'm running. I think 9V light is minimum, I'm running a 12V M4.

Kind of depends on what your doing. 12V is great for varmint hunting, but not a good choice for home defense.

C4

Cold Zero
11-22-06, 09:37
Have to agree with Bigbore and C4iGrant. For home defense or training purposes, the 6V is the ticket. If you do not want to go with the 6P or G2 Nitrolon, then take a look at the M2 Centurion, a little more beefy. Still the same 65 lumens though.

Ellery Holt
12-04-06, 03:36
C4IGrant,

http://mysite.verizon.net/tportinga/Image1.gif

heijutsu
12-04-06, 12:54
So...

I finally ordered the upper. Next I will have to contact an FFL that can order me one of POF's new billet lowers with the built in trigger guard. Anybody recommend an online dealer to get this from?

I can't wait, but it looks like I will have to. Chris gave me an eta of 10 weeks. I guess that will give me time to pick up all the other goodies that I need. Also can anyone recommend a LPK for this build. I want something that's virtually bulletproof.

Thanks again for everyones help and input. Forums ROCK!

C4IGrant
12-04-06, 13:07
So...

I finally ordered the upper. Next I will have to contact an FFL that can order me one of POF's new billet lowers with the built in trigger guard. Anybody recommend an online dealer to get this from?

I can't wait, but it looks like I will have to. Chris gave me an eta of 10 weeks. I guess that will give me time to pick up all the other goodies that I need. Also can anyone recommend a LPK for this build. I want something that's virtually bulletproof.

Thanks again for everyones help and input. Forums ROCK!

I have POF billet lowers in stock. :D

C4

gringle84
12-04-06, 18:24
I want a POF lower, a P416 (semi-auto)....what price for a full and a stripped?

Robert

C4IGrant
12-04-06, 19:07
I want a POF lower, a P416 (semi-auto)....what price for a full and a stripped?

Robert

Gen I or Gen II?

C4

gringle84
12-04-06, 19:32
C4,

Gen 1 without the trigger guard. Looking at what the price for a fully assembled versus stripped, also on the stripped version, can they just add the drop in trigger they offer and leave the rest stripped?

For my first build I wan't to start with the POF lower and go from there.

Thanks for your time!

Robert

C4IGrant
12-04-06, 19:37
C4,

Gen 1 without the trigger guard. Looking at what the price for a fully assembled versus stripped, also on the stripped version, can they just add the drop in trigger they offer and leave the rest stripped?

For my first build I wan't to start with the POF lower and go from there.

Thanks for your time!

Robert

GEN I 415 (semi markings) is $210 stripped. Add $64 for CMT LPK installed. Add $190 for just their trigger.

C4

gringle84
12-05-06, 00:47
C4,
What about the (full markings)P-416 for semi use?

Time to count the cash......

Thanks

Robert

C4IGrant
12-05-06, 08:01
C4,
What about the (full markings)P-416 for semi use?

Time to count the cash......

Thanks

Robert

I have those and that option adds $10 to the price.

C4

heijutsu
01-18-07, 13:27
Well.....

I'm not sure if I can wait for POF to get an upper to me. I saw on another post that someone has been waiting 6 months to get his upper and still doesn't have an ETA from POF. I have to say this is very discouraging, and quiet frankly doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I constantly see postings from POF touting some new change in an existing product or a new product altogether and it doesn't seem to me that they are focusing on there core which is the piston driven system. Billet lowers are great and sure I would like one, but I can put POF's piston upper on any lower, but when it comes to piston uppers there just aren't many options out there. I can spend more money on a Leitner Wise, but after seeing the posts on the various sites I don't really want to give them my money. So I guess I'm kind of stuck here and trying to figure out what direction to go in next. Do you guys suggest any other upper manufacturers and why?

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 15:07
There is a BRAND new POF upper for sale in the members sales forum! ;)

C4

heijutsu
01-18-07, 15:45
Says "Sold pending funds". But thanks for the looking out.

C4IGrant
01-18-07, 17:15
Says "Sold pending funds". But thanks for the looking out.

Just talked to the guy, it is not sold (buyer backed out I think). Shoot him a PM.

C4