PDA

View Full Version : Colt Federal Patrol Rifle

DoubleW
10-01-22, 16:12
I picked up a new Colt Federal Patrol Rifle from my FFL this morning. I have not fired yet, but a cursory glance over the gun looks great. The gun comes standard with a Magpul CTR Stock, A2 grip, A2 flash hider, 4 position RE, castle nut staking looks excellent! The upper receiver is not marked with either a “C” or cage code. The gun comes with Gen 2 Magpul PRO BUIS, which are great sights. Barrel has a cage code. Lower parts appear to be Schmid Tool as marked with an “S”. The inside of the upper has the dry film lubricant. The gun also features the Geissele Mk4 rail. I believe the Mk16 to be objectively superior, but the Mk4 is a sexy rail I have always thought looked good. The lower on this particular rifle is marked M4 Carbine which I believe Colt is doing to all new guns as of now. Overall, I’m extremely pleased and am looking forward to adding some flavor of Aimpoint, sling, and probably a B5 grip.

the AR-15 Junkie
10-01-22, 18:07
In for pics as I am a Colt Fan Boi!

TMS951
10-03-22, 17:07
Is it a mid or carbine gassed barrel?

RHINOWSO
10-03-22, 17:20

It's model number is LE6920FBP2, so I'd guess as a 6920 it's carbine.

DoubleW
10-03-22, 18:34
Carbine. It’s a standard 6920 with a 13.5” Mk4 rail, PRO sights, and CTR stock.

Straight Shooter
10-03-22, 18:55
Im constantly amazed at the number of ways and names they keep coming up for the 6920. They just keep adding names and changing furniture.
Were I in the market for a 6920, Id get the OEM one and put on exactly what I wanted & be done with it.
It would be the Straight Shooter Tactical Federal CQB/ABC/EFG/ Sniper/ Recon/ FBI/DEA Model.

RHINOWSO
10-03-22, 19:01
Im constantly amazed at the number of ways and names they keep coming up for the 6920. They just keep adding names and changing furniture.
Were I in the market for a 6920, Id get the OEM one and put on exactly what I wanted & be done with it.
It would be the Straight Shooter Tactical Federal CQB/ABC/EFG/ Sniper/ Recon/ FBI/DEA Model.

They must have hired someone from SIG who worked on the P365... X / XL / XL MACRO / MINI / DIAMONDPLATE....

Straight Shooter
10-03-22, 19:05
They must have hired someone from SIG who worked on the P365... X / XL / XL MACRO / MINI / DIAMONDPLATE....

Hilarious! But, am I WRONG? Same rifle...A good one, no doubt...but they KEEP ON & ON & ON with names and models...enough already.

DoubleW
10-03-22, 19:23
I don’t see how colt offering a rifle with a Geissele rail equals them being Sig rainbow/diamond plate, but to each their own. I think this will be a popular option though. It’s appropriately priced and well outfitted. The Mk4 came with Geissele’s new steel QD socket insert as well which was a nice surprise. The CTR is one of my favorite stocks and the gen2 Magpul PRO sights are second only to the KAC Micro’s in my opinion.

Beat Trash
10-03-22, 20:38
I prefer the MagPul MOE SL stock, but I’d be perfectly fine with a CTR stock.

I’m not a fan of an A2 pistol grip, but that’s cheap and easy to change.

Would I prefer a midlength gas system? Yes. But would I have an issue with using a carbine gas system in a duty rifle? Nope, I carried a 6920 as a patrol rifle for a long time.

DoubleW, you’ve got a solid rifle setup. I’d add a sling, white light and a usage appropriate optic and call it good.

DoubleW
10-03-22, 20:44

Would I prefer a midlength gas system? Yes. But would I have an issue with using a carbine gas system in a duty rifle? Nope, I carried a 6920 as a patrol rifle for a long time.

DoubleW, you’ve got a solid rifle setup. I’d add a sling, white light and a usage appropriate optic and call it good.

I’ve got a DF SF Scout, Aimpoint Comp M4S, and a Magpul MS4 sling on it currently. I threw the Geissele grip from one of my Super Duties on there to replace the A2 temporarily. Although, it’s not a terrible grip in its own right.

jackblack73
10-03-22, 20:52
What are gen 2 Magpul Pro sights? I wasn't aware there's a gen 2 and I can't find anything using google.

DoubleW
10-03-22, 21:00
What are gen 2 Magpul Pro sights? I wasn't aware there's a gen 2 and I can't find anything using google.

Gen 1is only adjustable for windage. Gen 2 has an elevation knob (200-600m) and windage.

jackblack73
10-03-22, 21:04
Gen 1is only adjustable for windage. Gen 2 has an elevation knob (200-600m) and windage.

I believe those are just the LR version. Not a gen 2 since the regular rear sight is still being sold.

DoubleW
10-03-22, 21:08
I believe those are just the LR version. Not a gen 2 since the regular rear sight is still being sold.
Yes, that is the technical designation of them. I’ve just called them Gen 2’s. Same sight, more features.

Hammer_Man
10-03-22, 23:23
Pics of the new rifle would be greatly appreciated.

RHINOWSO
10-04-22, 06:57
I don’t see how colt offering a rifle with a Geissele rail equals them being Sig rainbow/diamond plate, but to each their own. I think this will be a popular option though. It’s appropriately priced and well outfitted. The Mk4 came with Geissele’s new steel QD socket insert as well which was a nice surprise. The CTR is one of my favorite stocks and the gen2 Magpul PRO sights are second only to the KAC Micro’s in my opinion.
Francis...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia1.tenor.com%2Fimages%2F7ab0e776f28e9ec7370bb3086c9f8304%2Ftenor.gif%3Fitemid%3D14579006&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=a9f0331316ecf8ac362f54d36c6255eb3dbac77f601622813e8ecead71a11bb3&ipo=images

TMS951
10-04-22, 07:23
I think the MK4 rail makes sense as a play on the 11.5” FBI uppers that are popular. That said it should be a green rail.

Secondly using the 6920 barrel and not the mid gas barrel from the 6960 they sold is a lost opportunity.

Beat Trash
10-04-22, 11:07
I’ve got a DF SF Scout, Aimpoint Comp M4S, and a Magpul MS4 sling on it currently. I threw the Geissele grip from one of my Super Duties on there to replace the A2 temporarily. Although, it’s not a terrible grip in its own right.

My suggestion to you at this point would be to lube it, load it and shoot it.

Stickman
10-04-22, 12:26

Agreed 100% on each item you commented on.

10-04-22, 19:48
Now we need pictures. [emoji16]

ffhounddog
10-05-22, 15:13
I made one of these with a 13.0 mk13 rail. Funny how that happened.

10-07-22, 08:38
I think the MK4 rail makes sense as a play on the 11.5” FBI uppers that are popular. That said it should be a green rail.

Secondly using the 6920 barrel and not the mid gas barrel from the 6960 they sold is a lost opportunity.

They’re not Colt’s attempt at a clone, they’re offered as non-nfa individual agent purchase guns. They’ve been out for about 4-5 years now.

3ACR_Scout
10-11-22, 23:16
They’re not Colt’s attempt at a clone, they’re offered as non-nfa individual agent purchase guns. They’ve been out for about 4-5 years now.
Right. Arms Unlimited and a few other dealers first listed them about four years ago, I think, and they were sold out for about the last two years, but they’ve just recently reappeared in the last couple months. Not sure if the FBI ordered a new batch or if Colt decided to produce more for the civilian market.

AU still has their original product listing and (small) photos from when it was first released (back in stock now):

Colt M4 Carbine Federal Patrol Rifle (https://www.armsunlimited.com/Colt-M4-Carbine-Federal-Patrol-Rifle-p/le6920-fbp2.htm)

Atlantic Firearms has more detailed photos of what looks like the updated model. I believe the Mk4 rail was updated with steel inserts for the QD sling sockets which you can see in these images:

COLT M4 CARBINE FEDERAL PATROL RIFLE (https://atlanticfirearms.com/colt-m4-carbine-federal-patrol-rifle)

I’ve always thought it looked a good quality, basic duty rifle and kind of wanted one, but I just didn’t really want another 16” barrel with a carbine length gas tube.

DoubleW
10-31-22, 06:42
I noticed something interesting when I was swapping pistol grips yesterday. The grip tang portion of the lower is marked C7. Anyone else notice that on any of the newer Colts? I know the C7 is the Canadian service rifle so it was interesting to see that on a US made rifle.