PDA

View Full Version : 5 Convicted of Plotting to Kill Soldiers

subzero
12-23-08, 14:44
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081222/ap_on_re_us/fort_dix_plot

CAMDEN, N.J. – Five Muslim immigrants accused of scheming to massacre U.S. soldiers at Fort Dix were convicted of conspiracy Monday in a case that tested the FBI's post-Sept. 11 strategy of infiltrating and breaking up terrorist plots in their earliest stages. The men could get life in prison when they are sentenced in April.

The five, who lived in and around Philadelphia for years, were found guilty of conspiring to kill U.S. military personnel. But they were acquitted of attempted murder, after prosecutors acknowledged the men were probably months away from an attack and did not necessarily have a specific plan. Four defendants were also convicted of weapons charges.

The federal jury deliberated for 38 hours over six days.

The government said after the arrests in 2007 that case underscored the dangers of terrorist plots hatched on U.S. soil. Although investigators said the conspirators were inspired by Osama bin Laden, they were not accused of any ties to foreign terror groups.

Defense lawyers argued that the alleged plot was all talk — that the men weren't seriously planning anything and that they were manipulated and goaded by two paid FBI informants.

Faten Shnewer, the mother of defendant Mohamad Shnewer, said the informants should be the ones in jail. "Not my son and his friends. It's not right, it's not justice," she said after the verdict. The government "sent somebody to push him to say something; that's it."

Convicted were: Shnewer, a Jordanian-born cab driver; Turkish-born convenience store clerk Serdar Tatar; and brothers Dritan, Eljvir and Shain Duka, ethnic Albanians from the former Yugoslavia, who had a roofing business. A sixth man arrested and charged only with gun offenses pleaded guilty earlier.

The government said the men were targeting New Jersey's Fort Dix for an attack but had also conducted surveillance at New Jersey's Fort Monmouth, Dover Air Force Base in Delaware and other military installations, and had talked about assaulting some of those spots. The jury did not have to find that the men had any specific target in mind to convict them.

"These criminals had the capacity and had done preparations to do serious and grievous harm to members of our military," Ralph Marra, the acting U.S. attorney for New Jersey, said after the verdict.

But some Muslim leaders in New Jersey disputed that.

"I don't think they actually mean to do anything," said Mohamed Younes, president of the American Muslim Union. "I think they were acting stupid, like they thought the whole thing was a joke."

Jim Sues, executive director of the New Jersey chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said: "Many people in the Muslim community will see this as a case of entrapment. From what I saw, there was a significant role played by the government informant."

The yearlong investigation began after a clerk at a Circuit City store told the FBI that some customers had asked him to transfer onto DVD some video footage of them firing assault weapons and screaming about jihad.

The FBI asked two informants — both foreign-born men who entered the U.S. illegally and had criminal records — to befriend the suspects. Both informants were paid and were offered help obtaining legal resident status.

During the eight-week trial, the government relied heavily on information gathered by the informants, who secretly recorded hundreds of conversations.

Prosecutors said the men bought several assault rifles supplied by the FBI and that they trekked to Pennsylvania's Pocono Mountains to practice their shooting. The government also presented dozens of jihadist speeches and videos that the men supposedly used as inspiration.

According to prosecutors, the group chose Fort Dix because one of the defendants was familiar with it. His father's pizza shop delivered to the New Jersey base, which is 25 miles from Philadelphia and used primarily to train reservists for duty in Iraq.

The group's objective was to kill "as many American soldiers as possible," prosecutors said.

But the men's lawyers attacked the credibility of the informants and accused them of instigating the plot.

After the verdict, Schnewer's attorney, Rocco Cipparone, said there would not have been a conspiracy without the involvement of the informants. "I believe they shaped the evidence," he said.

Prosecutor William Fitzpatrick defended the government's handling of the case, telling the jury: "The FBI investigates crime on the front end. They don't want to have to do it on the back end."

Members of the jury would not speak to reporters after the verdict and instead released a statement that said, in part, "This has been one of the most difficult things that we have ever had to do."

None of the defendants testified.

The government said after the men's arrest that an attack was imminent, though prosecutors backed off that assertion at the trial.

The government has had a mixed record on terrorism prosecutions since Sept. 11. It won guilty pleas from Sept. 11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui; Richard Reid, who tried to blow up a trans-Atlantic jetliner with a shoe bomb; and the Lackawanna Six, a terrorist cell outside Buffalo, N.Y. And it convicted Jose Padilla of plotting terrorist attacks.

But a case against four men in Michigan fell apart after a federal prosecutor was accused of withholding evidence. And a case in Miami against seven men accused of plotting to blow up Chicago's Sears Tower has produced one acquittal and two mistrials.

I'm not Mr. Tin Foil Hat or anything, but I hope I'm not the only one who got nervous hearing this on the news today. One could sum up the case by saying the US is now sending people to jail for having bad thoughts, buying guns and not liking our government.

Could. Not that I would.

I'm curious what weapons charges they were convicted of.

Alpha Sierra
12-23-08, 14:53
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081222/ap_on_re_us/fort_dix_plot

I'm not Mr. Tin Foil Hat or anything, but I hope I'm not the only one who got nervous hearing this on the news today. One could sum up the case by saying the US is now sending people to jail for having bad thoughts, buying guns and not liking our government.

Could. Not that I would.

I'm curious what weapons charges they were convicted of.
I agree.

I would bet the weapon charges are related to their citizenship status or interstate sales issues. Perhaps the FBI arranged for one of the informants to live in NJ and sell them the evil rifles, making a interstate sale without going through an FFL.

Federale
12-23-08, 16:30
There's a little more to it than "having bad thoughts, buying guns and not liking the government" here. (There have been many posts in this very forum lately that fit this criteria, and I don't see anyone getting arrested for that. Do you?)

Here's the indictment. http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nj/press/files/pdffiles/Indictment0605.pdf

As for the weapons charges, they were charged with the attempts to buy machine guns and for being illegal aliens in possession of firearms.

I count 20 overt acts in furtherance of the conspiracy detailed in the indictment. It is a little more than "having bad thoughts."

Gutshot John
12-24-08, 07:27
Just heard a pundit on Faux news saying that they have video of them buying SEVEN "machineguns" for $1400???? Yes that's right fourteen HUNDRED.

HTF can you buy a "machinegun" on the street for $200?

Alpha Sierra
12-24-08, 08:36
HTF can you buy a "machinegun" on the street for $200?

They got them from the ice cream truck?

g5m
12-24-08, 10:37
More than one person planning to kill, even if done so badly, still is 'conspiracy' isn't it?

Outlaw5
12-24-08, 10:51
I haven't followed the case and delved deeply into it but if the Feds proved that surveillance happened at various locations then I believe they should be guilty and sentenced to prison time....only because they didn't actually kill anyone...then its the death penalty.

Subzero, as stated, they were convicted on weapons charges that involved illegal activities, not as a law abiding citizen.

As a military member I would hope that anyone targeting military bases would get this kind of punishment......for all who don't agree, what if they targeted a school or a church or a mall. Would that get your attention?

At home I don't feel I need to be looking over my shoulder like a do when I'm over seas so I hope no one uses the "but your a professional and you volunteered" statement. I am a professional and at my "home" I shouldn't feel like I have to keep up the vigilance at the level I do when down range.

My first offering of $.02. Outlaw5

nighthawk756
12-24-08, 11:00
There's a little more to it than "having bad thoughts, buying guns and not liking the government" here. (There have been many posts in this very forum lately that fit this criteria, and I don't see anyone getting arrested for that. Do you?)

Here's the indictment. http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/nj/press/files/pdffiles/Indictment0605.pdf

As for the weapons charges, they were charged with the attempts to buy machine guns and for being illegal aliens in possession of firearms.

I count 20 overt acts in furtherance of the conspiracy detailed in the indictment. It is a little more than "having bad thoughts."

Absolutely. There's no doubt to me that there was "conspiracy". If we don't convict for this, then we're just sitting ducks waiting for an attack.

CarlosDJackal
12-24-08, 11:05
If they were able to prove that the following were true, then I'm not worried that they will ever come after me. These prove that there was INTENT on the part of the defendants to do what they had threatened (these came from the indictment):

10. It was further part of the conspiracy that defendant MOHAMAD IBRAHIM SHNEWER conducted surveillance operations at several United States military installations, including but not limited to the United States Army Base at Fort Dix, the Lakehurst Naval Air Station, the United States Army Base at Fort Monmouth, the Dover Air Force Base, and the United States Coastguard Base in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

11. It was further part of the conspiracy that defendant SERDAR TATAR acquired a map of the United States Army Base at Fort Dix to be used by members of the conspiracy to plan and coordinate an attack on Fort Dix.

13. It was further part of the conspiracy that defendants MOHAMAD IBRAHIM SHNEWER, DRITAN DUKA, ELJVIR DUKA and SHAIN DUKA acquired and attempted to acquire fully automatic machine guns, namely three AK-47 Kalishnikov machine guns and four M-16 machine guns, as well as four handguns.

(b) On or about August 1, 2006, SERDAR TATAR transferred his ownership of two weapons to a third party in order to prevent those weapons from being traced to SERDAR TATAR or other members of the conspiracy.

(c) On or about August 11, 2006, MOHAMAD IBRAHIM SHNEWER conducted surveillance of the United States Army Base at Fort Dix.

(d) On or about August 11, 2006, MOHAMAD IBRAHIM SHNEWER conducted surveillance of the United States Army Base at Fort Monmouth.

(e) On or about August 13, 2006, MOHAMAD IBRAHIM SHNEWER conducted surveillance of Dover Air Force Base.

(f) On or about August 13, 2006, MOHAMAD IBRAHIM SHNEWER conducted surveillance of the United States Coast Guard Base in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.

(g) On or before November 28, 2006, SERDAR TATAR acquired a map of the United States Army Base at Fort Dix, labeled “Cantonment Area Fort Dix, NJ,” to be used by members of the conspiracy to plan and coordinate an attack on Fort Dix.

(h) On or about November 28, 2006, SERDAR TATAR provided the map of Fort Dix to an individual TATAR believed was a member of the conspiracy.

(s) On or about April 27, 2007, MOHAMAD IBRAHIM SHNEWER agreed to purchase an AK-47 Kalishnikov fully automatic machine gun from an individual he believed to be a black market weapons dealer.

(t) On or about May 7, 2007, DRITAN DUKA and SHAIN DUKA traveled to a location in Cherry Hill, New Jersey to take possession of the three AK-47 Kalishnikov fully automatic machine guns, the four M-16 fully automatic machine guns, and the four
handguns ordered by DRITAN DUKA on April 6, 2007.

In violation of Title 18, United States Code, Section 1117.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just the illegal possession of firearms alone should be enough to put them in prison for a very long time. JM2CW.

SeriousStudent
12-24-08, 14:37
I agree with Outlaw5. You were planning an attack on a military installation during wartime. You got convicted. Accept the punishment.

And how many of those installations have family housing? How much fun would it be to dig those poor misunderstood peace-lovers out of a family duplex, with your kids as hostages?

They bust through the gate shooting, fire rounds through the windows of the commissary, then head up to family housing......

I had nightmares about that when I was on active-duty. :(

I will happily provide the rope, after the jury votes on the sentance. I'll throw in the shipping for free, just to ease the burden on the poor taxpayers.

FVC3
12-24-08, 18:37
Why feed, clothe, shelter and provide medical care for them?

Announce the drop off point 3 days in advance, then set them free (rifles and all) at night in the woods atop a mountain in SE Tennessee. Any that make it to a main road get clemency.

Better yet, drop them off at Ft. Dix during the next exercise.

Enough pussy-footing around with these self-avowed Jihadists. You want to attack my country? Have the stones to take what comes.