PDA

View Full Version : New Wilson SFT9

WillBrink
10-04-22, 15:46
The new Wilson SFT9 is laser accurate as expected, 100% reliable for first range trip for 250rnds. Always wanted a pistol from Wilson Combat. Me on the other hand, out of practice and rusty. Hate that.

Now that Wilson offered a double stack 9mm 1911 based gun I like, I can have my cake and eat it to as I loved my 1911s, but the 9mm double stack polymer wonder pistols just offered too many benefits to pass up.

When Wilson offered the EDC-9, I was interested, but really didn't fit my small ish hands and didn't like the ergos of the EDC-9. This new series using single piece of CNC aluminum, is almost as thin as a standard 1911, and feels good in the hand. As good as the HKVP9? No, but that 1911 trigger more then makes up for it, and I missed that that on the slide release grip that adds to the recoil control. The texture design locks the gun in your hands without feeling like 50 grit sandpaper.

http://i.imgur.com/hiSYlZJ.jpg (https://imgur.com/hiSYlZJ)

Sam
10-04-22, 16:26
That order process didn't take long.

WillBrink
10-04-22, 18:03
That order process didn't take long.

They had them in stock, so I grabbed one forgoing any customization.

Sam
10-05-22, 08:05
Well it still was a fast transaction. Just shows that those Wilson crew work diligently.

WillBrink
10-05-22, 08:25
Well it still was a fast transaction. Just shows that those Wilson crew work diligently.

It showed up at the FFL far faster then I'd expected. Wilson always known for CS.

signal4l
10-05-22, 09:35
I wonder if Nighthawk would do an IOS optic cut on an SFT9..

The gun seems great. Wilson's optic cut leaves a bit to be desired. IOS is a much cleaner looking system that allows use of standard height sights

WillBrink
10-05-22, 09:49
I wonder if Nighthawk would do an IOS optic cut on an SFT9..

The gun seems great. Wilson's optic cut leaves a bit to be desired. IOS is a much cleaner looking system that allows use of standard height sights

If not them, plenty of places will no doubt.

gaijin
10-05-22, 10:22
Good looking pistol.

Does it shoot close to POA/POI with carry ammo?
I run Green FO Rod in my FO FSs, I see that much more clearly/“crisply” than Red. Might try that.

WillBrink
10-05-22, 14:37
Good looking pistol.

Does it shoot close to POA/POI with carry ammo?

Far as I can tell yes. I tend to pull left when I'm out of practice, and was. It was also more a reliability/function testing than accuracy per se. 50rnd of carry ammo (Federal HST 124g) and 200rdns of FMJ. I'd expect a 3k+ 1911 based gun from Wilson to be pretty dead on and assumed the left leaning rnds all due to me.

I run Green FO Rod in my FO FSs, I see that much more clearly/“crisply” than Red. Might try that.

Red tends to stand out more in my experience.

10-05-22, 15:40
Nice! Congrats!

Sam
10-05-22, 18:07
Is this going to be a carry pistol or just for fun?

WillBrink
10-05-22, 18:17
Is this going to be a carry pistol or just for fun?

I don't own fun guns, so likley primary CCW. I like to have one primary pistol for CCW, courses, IDPA, HD etc. The HKv9 will be relegated to back primary.

Sam
10-05-22, 18:49
Oh my, the HK worshippers are going to have to be put on suicide watch.

As I am vacationing in your state this week, my side companion is a lowly M&P 2.0 Compact. I feel so inadequate. Lol

WillBrink
10-06-22, 09:00
Oh my, the HK worshippers are going to have to be put on suicide watch.

I think the VP9 is the best striker fired polymer wonder pistol I have owned/experienced, but nothing beats the single action trigger of a 1911, much less a Wilson 1911. Obviously, there's a big $ differential there. I have been waiting for a rock solid reliable double stack 1911 based gun in 9mm with ergos that didn't suck, for a long time, and Wilson broke the code finally. My back up primary to the HK was a gen 1 M&P with Apex trigger kit. That will either get sold or be back up to the back up if no one wants it.

As I am vacationing in your state this week, my side companion is a lowly M&P 2.0 Compact. I feel so inadequate. Lol

My sub compact choice is a M&P Shield 1.0 for when small as possible - without resorting to anything below 9mm - is essential, and wore that yesterday in IWB for a lunch meeting where my normal casual look was not allowed. The 2.0 M&P and Shields do have much better triggers! I don't think one can go wrong with a M&P 2.0 Compact as easy to conceal, reliable, cost effective SD. GF has the HK Vp9 compact, and that's really nice option for a few more $.

Sam
10-07-22, 08:36
The Shield 1.0 is quite a little gun and the bigger M&P series are dependable. Not Gucci guns but will get the job done.

HKGuns
10-07-22, 08:41
I got to say that those Wilson pistols have tempted me for a while now and I may just have to pull the trigger on one. First time I've seen a first hand report on one after wondering about them for a while. I think Wilson makes good stuff.

WillBrink
10-07-22, 10:04
The Shield 1.0 is quite a little gun and the bigger M&P series are dependable. Not Gucci guns but will get the job done.

When I was an adjunct trainer for S&W for a minute, I got to see early M&Ps being tested and field tested by a few PDs. Me, not an SME on pistols, felt it was a winner and would be a big seller for them. There was no Shield, just the full size M&P. I also got to see a group of LEOs come in with their M&Ps and give feedback on their experience and opinions of it. One did have some issues with his gun, and they brought in some on the spot from manufacturing division (we were at the Training Center) to work on it and test it and such. They were serious about making the M&P a solid reliable simple pistol that could and would (and did...) win contracts with PDs etc.

I got to say that those Wilson pistols have tempted me for a while now and I may just have to pull the trigger on one. First time I've seen a first hand report on one after wondering about them for a while. I think Wilson makes good stuff.

When I was a 1911 guy of course I wanted a Wilson, but for various reasons, didn't happen. When I transitioned to double stack wonder pistols, I hoped they or other would break the code and finally make a reliable double stack 9mm 1911 based gun that didn't have terrible ergos. The EDC-9 did that but for the ergos.

Finally, this series of guns does it all. You're gonna pay the Wilson $ to get it, and likley will trickle down to other brands that are less $. My experience with other brands attempts at double stack 9mm 1911s was they were super ammo finicky, and un reliable junk with terrible ergos. I know some are fans of the STI 2011 as a less expensive choice, but I don't have any experience with it, or STI and trust Wilson more to get it right, as do people like LAV, Ken H, etc it appears.

Pappabear
10-07-22, 11:12
Very cool gun. Why can't more companies make a direct mount to RDS vs using those monster plates. Still love the gun, just wish they could get that dot down a bit.

PB

gunnerblue
10-21-22, 15:59
I think the VP9 is the best striker fired polymer wonder pistol I have owned/experienced, but nothing beats the single action trigger of a 1911, much less a Wilson 1911. Obviously, there's a big $ differential there. I have been waiting for a rock solid reliable double stack 1911 based gun in 9mm with ergos that didn't suck, for a long time, and Wilson broke the code finally. My back up primary to the HK was a gen 1 M&P with Apex trigger kit. That will either get sold or be back up to the back up if no one wants it.

My sub compact choice is a M&P Shield 1.0 for when small as possible - without resorting to anything below 9mm - is essential, and wore that yesterday in IWB for a lunch meeting where my normal casual look was not allowed. The 2.0 M&P and Shields do have much better triggers! I don't think one can go wrong with a M&P 2.0 Compact as easy to conceal, reliable, cost effective SD. GF has the HK Vp9 compact, and that's really nice option for a few more $.

Can you describe a little the differences you felt in ergonomics/handling between the EDC and the SFT9?

WillBrink
10-21-22, 16:26
Can you describe a little the differences you felt in ergonomics/handling between the EDC and the SFT9?

EDC felt similar to other double stack 1911s, fat and wide and not to my liking, the SFT9 is thinner, closer to a typical 1911 and feels comfortable in my medium sized hands. The SFT9 being a single piece if milled aluminum allowed them to make a thinner gun.

Coal Dragger
11-06-22, 22:16
Thanks for the report, I’m on the hunt for one in the near future. I liked the EDC X9 I finally laid hands on, but would prefer a more slab sided grip as I’ve found them to be easier to manage recoil recovery, and easier to establish a consistent grip on out of the holster.

I like my VP9 as well but it does tend to wiggle side to side a bit during rapid fire if I’m not gripping the gun like I’m trying to murder it. Doesn’t help that the texturing HK uses isn’t particularly “grippy”. Plus when I do grip the gun hard with a high thumbs grip I override the slide stop lever and don’t get slide lock on an empty magazine. Never had that issue with 1911 slide stops since they’re usually far enough forward to be out of my way.

How is the Xtac pattern for retaining a good grip?

WillBrink
11-07-22, 06:49
Thanks for the report, I’m on the hunt for one in the near future. I liked the EDC X9 I finally laid hands on, but would prefer a more slab sided grip as I’ve found them to be easier to manage recoil recovery, and easier to establish a consistent grip on out of the holster.

I like my VP9 as well but it does tend to wiggle side to side a bit during rapid fire if I’m not gripping the gun like I’m trying to murder it. Doesn’t help that the texturing HK uses isn’t particularly “grippy”. Plus when I do grip the gun hard with a high thumbs grip I override the slide stop lever and don’t get slide lock on an empty magazine.

That's really the only complaint I and others have ever had on the Vp9. Mentioned that here various times. Someone should make an after market slide stop that sticks out more.

How is the Xtac pattern for retaining a good grip?

Outstanding without being abrasive.

1986s4
11-07-22, 07:31
Far as I can tell yes. I tend to pull left when I'm out of practice, and was. It was also more a reliability/function testing than accuracy per se. 50rnd of carry ammo (Federal HST 124g) and 200rdns of FMJ. I'd expect a 3k+ 1911 based gun from Wilson to be pretty dead on and assumed the left leaning rnds all due to me.

Red tends to stand out more in my experience.

I tend to pull left when out of practice too. Also when I'm in a hurry.

Coal Dragger
07-14-23, 01:09
Not to necro this thread but I found a used (like box of 50 rounds) Wilson Combat SFX9 4” with their optic cut/plate for an RMR. Had to carefully file down the mounting screws for my old RMR to .390” overall length but they now fit without bottoming out. Optic is mounted and roughly slaved to the iron sights awaiting a range trip. Ordered three more magazines of the 18 round variety to augment the two 15 round flush fit units that came with the pistol.

I can’t complain since it’s exactly what I would have ordered minus the optic plate (I like the ACRO mounting footprint and would prefer a P-2). For a gun that would have run a bit over $3K new I’m happily into this one for a bit over $2200 with taxes, so Staccato C2 optic ready money but for a Wilson Combat.

Range report to follow hopefully soon.

Pappabear
07-14-23, 09:45
Not to necro this thread but I found a used (like box of 50 rounds) Wilson Combat SFX9 4” with their optic cut/plate for an RMR. Had to carefully file down the mounting screws for my old RMR to .390” overall length but they now fit without bottoming out. Optic is mounted and roughly slaved to the iron sights awaiting a range trip. Ordered three more magazines of the 18 round variety to augment the two 15 round flush fit units that came with the pistol.

I can’t complain since it’s exactly what I would have ordered minus the optic plate (I like the ACRO mounting footprint and would prefer a P-2). For a gun that would have run a bit over $3K new I’m happily into this one for a bit over $2200 with taxes, so Staccato C2 optic ready money but for a Wilson Combat.

Look forward to a range report. Post some pics when you get a minute. Congrats

PB

WillBrink
07-14-23, 11:00

As much as I like the SFT9, what I really wanted is the SFX9. I'm tempted to sell the SFT9 to buy the SFX9. Obviously both are outstanding pistols.

Coal Dragger
07-14-23, 13:28
Look forward to a range report. Post some pics when you get a minute. Congrats

PB

I’ll see what I can do.

https://i.ibb.co/rx691dY/IMG-1466.jpg (https://ibb.co/5r8ZfKm)
https://i.ibb.co/8bvVD8H/Rendered-Image.jpg (https://ibb.co/YXnG7jx)
upload images (https://imgbb.com/)

Coal Dragger
07-20-23, 18:52
Took it to the range today. Pistol is very accurate, trigger is great, recoil is minimal because it’s a 9mm.

Problem: premature slide lockback. The slide stop is barely engaging the slide under recoil locking the slide to the rear with rounds still in the magazine. This occurs with every magazine I have, shooting with two hands or single handed.

I encountered a similar issue years ago on another 1911 and used a file to carefully grind a detent notch into the rear of the lever where the spring loaded plunger engages the slide stop lever.

I just got home and field stripped the pistol. There is no indication of brass, copper, or any ammunition related contact with the slide stop lever where the magazine follower contacts it to lock the slide on an empty magazine.

So I will carefully cut a detent notch with a small round file and polish it. Testing the magazines as I go to ensure the followers can still overcome the extra resistance the plunger will apply in a deeper notch. Then re-test the pistol.

I jammed the lever down with my offhand thumb for each magazine and ran it as fast as I could, no issues with positive downward pressure.

Coal Dragger
07-20-23, 20:49
Slide stop modification complete.

https://i.ibb.co/yYPp3tR/IMG-1492.jpg (https://ibb.co/X3LDw14)

This is a tool steel part I’m guessing, because it took bluing.

It now takes just a bit of effort to move it up towards the slide but the magazine followers still activate it without issue. Makes a satisfying “snick” moving into or out of the plunger detent I just added. With any luck this will cure the issue like it did 20 years ago with my other 1911.

Coal Dragger
07-21-23, 20:29
Another trip to the range this afternoon. Rained like hell but that drove everyone else away. Perfect.

Took some small files with me this time to make adjustments to the slide stop as needed. The two 15 round magazines ran like raped apes. The 18 round unit still gave me a few issues, but before was single feed for all 18 rounds. Made my plunger notch a smidge deeper with a file, better but not totally resolved. I then looked at the rest of the slide stop and there was an area getting contact with the magazine body. So out came the file and I removed a few thousands, marked it with a sharpie and reassembled.

I then ran about 150 rounds of 124gr ball through that 18 rounder as fast as I could shooting two handed, right handed, and left handed. No further issues presented in the 18 round magazine, pistol ran like a champ. Ran another 100 rounds of 125gr hollow points through all magazines, no issues. Took the slide stop out and checked my sharpie marker, still some contact but spread over a larger area higher on the part. So not getting a concentrated “hit” under recoil at the bottom end pushing it into premature slide lock. In fact the contact mark at the bottom is now gone completely.

This should have never left Wilson Combat functioning this way, and were I the first owner it would have been sent back. Not sure how their warranty is for people other than the original owner. So far their customer service ordering parts has been atrocious. Two orders in a row messed up.

Coal Dragger
07-21-23, 20:35
On the plus side now that the pistol seems to be running properly, it’s stupid easy to shoot well.

Since it was raining too hard to put up a paper target I took advantage of recently hung up steel IPSC targets at 7 yards and 25 yards. Transitioning from one to the other holding the head box was easy. Blasting the 7 yard with a full mag until it was swinging around like crazy, also easy. Plinking away at the 25 yard steel at a 1 shot per second pace was also easy.

SteyrAUG
07-21-23, 22:42
Took it to the range today. Pistol is very accurate, trigger is great, recoil is minimal because it’s a 9mm.

Problem: premature slide lockback. The slide stop is barely engaging the slide under recoil locking the slide to the rear with rounds still in the magazine. This occurs with every magazine I have, shooting with two hands or single handed.

I encountered a similar issue years ago on another 1911 and used a file to carefully grind a detent notch into the rear of the lever where the spring loaded plunger engages the slide stop lever.

I just got home and field stripped the pistol. There is no indication of brass, copper, or any ammunition related contact with the slide stop lever where the magazine follower contacts it to lock the slide on an empty magazine.

So I will carefully cut a detent notch with a small round file and polish it. Testing the magazines as I go to ensure the followers can still overcome the extra resistance the plunger will apply in a deeper notch. Then re-test the pistol.

I jammed the lever down with my offhand thumb for each magazine and ran it as fast as I could, no issues with positive downward pressure.

I gotta ask. Why would you not send it back to Wilson for them to correct?

I understand you have a fix and know how to do it, but no firearm (especially customs) should require customer gunsmithing.

Coal Dragger
07-22-23, 00:26
I gotta ask. Why would you not send it back to Wilson for them to correct?

I understand you have a fix and know how to do it, but no firearm (especially customs) should require customer gunsmithing.

Why?

1.) I’m the second owner, not sure if Wilson warranty extends to me.

2.) I have recently had two negative experiences with Wilson Combat customer service. I ordered a set of sights for an HK45 and they sent me incorrect parts. I then ordered 3 magazines for this pistol and they managed to send me only 1 that is correct. The other two are 10 rounders, I have no use in this world for two 10 round magazines.

3.) The nearest FFL I could ship this off through is an hour away, and frankly I hate taking the time out my day to send a gun off to get fixed when I have other things to do at home.

4.) The problem is within my skill level to correct, and should I completely bugger it up I am only risking one non hand fitted part that might cost $60. So if it does have to go back to Wilson and they’re like hey bro you filed on this part and ruined it you have to pay for a new part, that is fine with me.

SteyrAUG
07-22-23, 15:41
Why?

1.) I’m the second owner, not sure if Wilson warranty extends to me.

2.) I have recently had two negative experiences with Wilson Combat customer service. I ordered a set of sights for an HK45 and they sent me incorrect parts. I then ordered 3 magazines for this pistol and they managed to send me only 1 that is correct. The other two are 10 rounders, I have no use in this world for two 10 round magazines.

3.) The nearest FFL I could ship this off through is an hour away, and frankly I hate taking the time out my day to send a gun off to get fixed when I have other things to do at home.

4.) The problem is within my skill level to correct, and should I completely bugger it up I am only risking one non hand fitted part that might cost $60. So if it does have to go back to Wilson and they’re like hey bro you filed on this part and ruined it you have to pay for a new part, that is fine with me.

Fair enough. One thing, if sending a firearm back for warranty work, you can send directly to the manufacturer without going through a FFL because there is no change of ownership.

Coal Dragger
07-22-23, 16:34
Good to know, thanks.

My next test will be to confirm function with the other two 18 round magazines on the way from Wilson Combat to correct their order fulfillment issue.

At this point I will need to source some +P or +P+ duty ammo and run a few hundred rounds of it. Since it should generate more recoil, that will be the ultimate test for the tuning I performed on the slide stop lever. I’ll take my files with me to make adjustments if needed, my suspicion is that all it needed was that minor tweak to the area being contacted by the magazine body and now that it’s been adjusted the gun will run correctly from here on out.

That is the hope, and the dream! Wish me luck!

ViniVidivici
07-26-23, 23:38
You did what I would do. No way would I send a gun back for something so simple.

Methinks you nailed it, should run fine.

G woody
07-30-23, 16:11
Fair enough. One thing, if sending a firearm back for warranty work, you can send directly to the manufacturer without going through a FFL because there is no change of ownership.

I understand UPS & fedx are being pricks about direct shipments. The POST OFFICE won't ship handguns, so life can be a bitch !!!

Coal Dragger
07-30-23, 17:57
You did what I would do. No way would I send a gun back for something so simple.

Methinks you nailed it, should run fine.

Another range outing today. Hot as balls, met up with some buddies so multiple shooters could run the SFX9 after my slide stop adjusting amateur hour gunsmithery.

No failures of any kind, ran like a sewing machine for everyone with a variety of ammo. All magazines: two 15 rounders, and three 18 rounders worked perfectly.

I like this pistol A LOT.