PDA

View Full Version : Cannabis is set to become legal for MILLIONS more in America

gsd2053
10-06-22, 10:57
Voters in Arkansas, Maryland, Missouri, North Dakota and South Dakota will in November decide whether to legalize weed for residents age 21 or older, changing the rules in states with a combined population of nearly 16 million.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11283669/Cannabis-set-legal-MILLIONS-Americans-60-backing-federal-law-change.html

Straight Shooter
10-06-22, 11:08
How nice. Next:coke, heroin, ect, ect.

markm
10-06-22, 11:12
I never imagined as a kid just how dumb this country's people would be WITHOUT adding dope to the morons' menus. We are a nation of idiots who goes to Fast and the Furious and Comic book movies, watches Tiktok, and wants to work from home wearing underwear.

flenna
10-06-22, 11:21
I never imagined as a kid just how dumb this country's people would be WITHOUT adding dope to the morons' menus. We are a nation of idiots who goes to Fast and the Furious and Comic book movies, watches Tiktok, and wants to work from home wearing underwear.

All according to plan…

WillBrink
10-06-22, 11:25
Fine by me, but the states should not have to finally have enough of the (failed by any metric) "war on drugs" BS, and it needs to be decriminalized on the fed level or it will continue to be a state level hodgepodge mess that does more harm than it needs to, prevents funding for legit research, continues to support black market sources, used as a blue vs red state political football, etc.

It's not rocket science...

Straight Shooter
10-06-22, 11:27

I have never understood the desire or need to be "high" all the time. And you can miss me with all the faux "medical benefits" crap too. You STINK like shit, look & act like it too. More idiots on the road impaired, eventually more harder drug use...dont even try argue with me about it..more & more cost in the end to taxpayers & society. All so some doofuses can sit around at "4:20" everyday and smoke dope.

gsd2053
10-06-22, 11:34
Fine by me, but the states should not have to finally have enough of the (failed by any metric) "war on drugs" BS, and it needs to be decriminalized on the fed level or it will continue to be a state level hodgepodge mess that does more harm than it needs to, prevents funding for legit research, continues to support black market sources, used as a blue vs red state political football, etc.

Agreed, Freedom is a scary concept to some.

duece71
10-06-22, 11:34

The war on drugs was lost back in the 80’s. Anything since then has been feel good pronouncements designed to make persons feel less guilty about “doing something”.

WickedWillis
10-06-22, 11:41
I have never understood the desire or need to be "high" all the time. And you can miss me with all the faux "medical benefits" crap too. You STINK like shit, look & act like it too. More idiots on the road impaired, eventually more harder drug use...dont even try argue with me about it..more & more cost in the end to taxpayers & society. All so some doofuses can sit around at "4:20" everyday and smoke dope.

Absolutely wild post, Elmer. Feels every bit of the late 60's.

Straight Shooter
10-06-22, 11:43
Absolutely wild post, Elmer. Feels every bit of the late 60's.

I can be Elmer and/or Fudd..like I care what dope fiends think. You still stink and act like crap. And I wish everyday it WAS the 60's.

SomeOtherGuy
10-06-22, 12:01
Michigan "legalized" marijuana by referendum in 2018. At the time I voted against, but didn't have strong feelings because I was still semi-libertarian and figured it wouldn't be harmful.

Was I wrong.

I like the libertarian philosophy, but legalized marijuana has been a nightmare and is dragging the state down. Sometimes all the stereotypes are true, and then there's stuff you didn't know about or anticipate that makes it worse. There is big, BIG money backing all the "legal" dope, and because they can't legally bank I'll give you one guess where that BIG money is coming from.

For those a little too naive, legalization is a massive giveaway to existing drug dealers and other organized crime, and is basically state-sponsored money laundering.

Harpoon
10-06-22, 12:20
My state made it legal strictly for medicinal purposes a few years ago.
From what I hear it's like this...
Can't sleep...approved
Anxiety...approved
Back hurts...approved
Etc.
The State makes literally millions by becoming the new dealer.

Alex V
10-06-22, 12:30

Agreed. I don't see how this is any different from alcohol. I don't understand the people who say weed is somehow evil while holding a glass of bourbon.

Have you ever imbibed any alcoholic beverage?

WillBrink
10-06-22, 12:31
Agreed, Freedom is a scary concept to some.

Prohibition does not work, ever. Full stop. Anything else is denial and cognitive dissonance.

The war on drugs was lost back in the 80’s. Anything since then has been feel good pronouncements designed to make persons feel less guilty about “doing something”.

The gubments own numbers are that approx 10% is stopped. If that's there "doing something" estimates, imagine what the real % is...

Michigan "legalized" marijuana by referendum in 2018. At the time I voted against, but didn't have strong feelings because I was still semi-libertarian and figured it wouldn't be harmful.

Was I wrong.

I like the libertarian philosophy, but legalized marijuana has been a nightmare and is dragging the state down. Sometimes all the stereotypes are true, and then there's stuff you didn't know about or anticipate that makes it worse. There is big, BIG money backing all the "legal" dope, and because they can't legally bank I'll give you one guess where that BIG money is coming from.

For those a little too naive, legalization is a massive giveaway to existing drug dealers and other organized crime, and is basically state-sponsored money laundering.

And those issues are due to the fed legal designations per my prior comments. It's a mess in some states, and that's for one reason and one only specific to the issues you bring up.

There's other problems also, most again due to fed schedule of cannabis (which as zero science to support it BTW...) and some due to poor/no planning by some states as to what happens when you just open the gates to it.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-06-22, 12:37
I wasn’t against it because I didn’t care and I was promised that it would cut down on gang crime due to drug dealing- and potential for less going after guns in the name of violence.

WRONG

No effect on gang violence and going after guns.
It SMELLLS like a herd of skunks got run over on I70 because of all the warehouses growing pot. The cost of wharehousing went crazy, hurting small businesses.

And the drivers…. There is no hell worse than a Cali driver, high as crap, staring at their cell phone while they try to drive.

AND

It didn’t stop illegal weed because it so controlled and taxed, it is cheaper to grow in Mexico and bring in still…. The cartels are smart and have curtailed it, only because they want to get into the legal weed business at some point.

WillBrink
10-06-22, 12:39
Agreed. I don't see how this is any different from alcohol.

I do in that it's a chit load safer, and does have some legit med uses for some people. Both have been used by humans for millennia. Sadly, I like my drink, don't care for canibus, which is a real bummer now that the latter is easy to get and of high quality, and not produced by criminal elements where I am now, FL. Be that as it may, that does not change the sci/med, and historical facts.

I don't understand the people who say weed is somehow evil while holding a glass of bourbon.

Brain washing, culture, cognitive dissonance, etc. Some are mega hypocrites who don't apply critical thinking and think part of being a conservative is being against all drugs while holding a glass of bourbon, which kills more people per year than all the the other "evil" drugs combined.

kaiservontexas
10-06-22, 12:45
State sponsored money laundering and dea piggy bank for whenever they feel like pulling a raid all points to federal problems versus a true business problem. Remove the prohibition on all levels and it is no longer those things since access to the system is finally open; for example, those engaged in state legal business are not allowed to use banks and have no recourse in the federal system.

I agree prohibition is a failed policy. It has lead to nuke, I mean fentanyl, plus chemical analogs. Prohibition also enables corruption. Black/grey market money is the fuel for all corruption. Want to end corruption? End vice as crime, which then removes the under the table money payouts.

Straight Shooter
10-06-22, 12:49
https://twitter.com/CitizenFreePres/status/1578068933936021515?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1578068933936021515%7Ctwgr%5Ecf2bf29e9a41c82bda9c919b03377b56193b2b5e%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fcitizenfreepress.com%2Fbreaking%2Fwait-for-the-ending-california-mom%2F

Pills, dope or booze. Same thing.

joedirt199
10-06-22, 12:57
The medical marijuana places are empty in our neck of the woods. People still buy from their local drug dealer because he is cheaper. Our dept is now offering overtime to sit at the dispensories to protect them from robberies. Tell me again how legalizing weed is better for us. You should see the amount of houses I go to where people are smoking weed around their kids. If they already didn't have a chance in life, this will only make it worse.

WillBrink
10-06-22, 13:04
State sponsored money laundering and dea piggy bank for whenever they feel like pulling a raid all points to federal problems versus a true business problem. Remove the prohibition on all levels and it is no longer those things since access to the system is finally open; for example, those engaged in state legal business are not allowed to use banks and have no recourse in the federal system.

I agree prohibition is a failed policy. It has lead to nuke, I mean fentanyl, plus chemical analogs. Prohibition also enables corruption. Black/grey market money is the fuel for all corruption. Want to end corruption? End vice as crime, which then removes the under the table money payouts.

Agreed on all fronts, and by all metrics and history, correct. I'd add the war on drugs makes a lot of $ for some, justifies the existence of entire fed LE orgs who would have no reasons to exist, is needed for massive budgets and jobs that is drug interdiction, etc. It's a massive industry, on par with, and overlapping with mil industrial complex, and pharma. What's amazing is how many staunch conservatives are oblivious to all that, drank that Kool aid, similar to libs on guns: no amount of facts, data, or history will change their minds.

It's not a good look and where they lose credibility. Note, my last post and now exiting the thread as I have no more thoughts to add to the topic.

AndyLate
10-06-22, 13:31
Agreed. I don't see how this is any different from alcohol. I don't understand the people who say weed is somehow evil while holding a glass of bourbon.

Its quite a bit different than alchohol. Many people drink a single beer, glass of wine, or mixed drink. Who lights a joint, puffs but doesn't inhale, then stubs it out?

If weed were the same as alcohol, there would be no beer or wine - only spirits and high proof ones at

AndyLate
10-06-22, 13:34

Its quite a bit different than alchohol. Many people drink a single beer, glass of wine, or mixed drink. Who lights a joint, puffs but doesn't inhale, then stubs it out?

If weed were the same as alcohol, there would be no beer or wine - only spirits (and high proof ones at that) and no one would stop at one drink.

Andy

Pacific5th
10-06-22, 13:49
I can’t partake because of my job but I have many friends that do. Now they are all responsible members of society but they don’t constantly get high. They may partake when we’re hanging out and having a good time in a backyard or camping. And who am I to judge as I crack my 14th beer for the day?

So I could care less. Hell just legalize them all. But also rip the system away from abusers. If they meth or heroin out no Narcan, no help. The problem will work itself out.

Straight Shooter
10-06-22, 13:50
They dont WANT to see how dope is different than alcohol, even tho they already know it is..they just look to justify by any reason them using dope.
The heroin and coke and meth and pill poppers use the same "defense".
At least one doesnt smell like sour piss after drinking.

Firefly
10-06-22, 14:22
Having done more than my fair share of the drug war; I say legalize it all and ban narcan
Alcohol is in no way morally or chemically superior.

I really don’t have a problem with it. I personally have no interest in doing dope. But I would be more than willing to let hopheads buy over the counter meth if it means 24/7 vending machines that dispense 10.4” HK416s and suppressors like in Cyberpunk 2077.

Same with prostitution. If we made it easier for people to get high and get laid we really wouldn’t have all the societal ills we put up with today.

I would rather people stay home hepped up on goofballs and farting in the bathtub and giggling about it than staying pissed, staying sober, shooting up kindergartens and being creeps.

I’m sick of this hall monitor society where the Republicans tell you how to be born and tell you how to die and the Democrats tut tut and tell you how to live and all the 700 Club comes out and frowns upon you getting wasted or having casual sex.

At some point your neanderthal ancestors ate strange shrooms and screwed like weasels.
I bet you all only like to poop at home too.

Sad.
I would like to tell you I felt professionally satisfied shoving an UMP or shotgun into a college kid’s face because of his home grow but I really didn’t.

Harpoon
10-06-22, 14:58
One thing for sure.
Tobacco has killed more Americans than booze or marijuana.
Still legal everywhere.
Money talks.

Straight Shooter
10-06-22, 15:02
Oh, look. I just saw where Ole Feckless just pardoned thousands of convicted potheads a few minutes ago.
4:20 gonna be extra stinky today.
Im so glad he did it just before election. Not gonna help the way they told him it would.

Alex V
10-06-22, 15:46
I do in that it's a chit load safer, and does have some legit med uses for some people. Both have been used by humans for millennia. Sadly, I like my drink, don't care for canibus, which is a real bummer now that the latter is easy to get and of high quality, and not produced by criminal elements where I am now, FL. Be that as it may, that does not change the sci/med, and historical facts.

Even without the medical uses, it serves the same purpose, a bit of enjoyment from our otherwise annoying day.

Brain washing, culture, cognitive dissonance, etc. Some are mega hypocrites who don't apply critical thinking and think part of being a conservative is being against all drugs while holding a glass of bourbon, which kills more people per year than all the the other "evil" drugs combined.

Exactly. Weed is bad, says the guy who smokes two packs a day and drinks a 30 pack of Bush on NASCAR Sunday.

If weed were the same as alcohol, there would be no beer or wine - only spirits and high proof ones at

Never heard of a "one hitter" hu? With edibles you can have however much you need to get a buzz and not get stoned off your rocker. Same can be done with a vape. Hit it once, don't have to drain the whole vial.

gsd2053
10-06-22, 16:03
It amazes me how many people have been brainwashed that it is less moral or more dangerous to use than alcohol. It is safer than alcohol in every way.

It has been used by the Israelites as far back as 2700 years ago. Native cultures have used it throughout history.

Yet some politicians decided to ban it in the US. In 1937 with the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937 essentially banned it nation-wide despite objections from the American Medical Association related to medical usage. This act came just a year after the film Reefer Madness warned parents that drug dealers would invite their teenagers to jazz parties and get them hooked on “reefer.”

Like it or not the jig is up. You have been brainwashed by lies.

Artos
10-06-22, 16:07
I'm indifferent on the weed probably from growing up on the border...it was everywhere and anyone who wanted some could get it in-between classes in the hallway.

If you wanted booze mexico was only 15mins out...man I miss those cantinas.

SomeOtherGuy
10-06-22, 16:15
Prohibition does not work, ever. Full stop. Anything else is denial and cognitive dissonance.

Prohibition doesn't eliminate use, but it does reduce it. The important question is how much harm comes from the usage that's being eliminated vs. how much harm comes from prohibition.

I'm not in favor of 90's style Waco raids on people growing some pot at home. I could care less. Not really in favor of armed SWAT raids on much of anything, although if large quantities of fentanyl are involved I might change my mind.

But there should be some middle ground, some intelligent compromise. Who here wants fentanyl legalized for recreational use? How many more dead teens would that cause? Do you want crystal meth to be sold at Walmart? Heroin party favors? Find some balance between "adults can do whatever if they don't harm others" and San Francisco wasteland status.

And those issues are due to the fed legal designations per my prior comments. It's a mess in some states, and that's for one reason and one only specific to the issues you bring up.

True to some extent, but that point is equally valid to argue that states should NOT legalize marijuana, even if it's relatively less harmful like alcohol is. Any legalization should have been coordinated so that it's not a billion-dollar giveaway to existing drug dealers, like it has been. Yes, I know the politics.

I was much more OK with legalization before it happened. After the results came in I was slightly surprised but not really concerned. Within 1-2 years the problems became very obvious. Sounds like that's true in Colorado too.

There's other problems also, most again due to fed schedule of cannabis (which as zero science to support it BTW...) and some due to poor/no planning by some states as to what happens when you just open the gates to it.

No question that alcohol causes a lot of harm and death too. I have personally lost three relatives to alcohol effects - two from a DUI crash (they were innocent victims, uninjured POS in the truck had a .34 BAC), one from his own alcoholism - sort of chance because he also had a problem with illegal drugs. The fact that hard alcohol was legal and readily available may be why he died from that instead of from heroin or something. That doesn't mean he would have lived, much less been happy and healthy, if alcohol were illegal, it's just luck of the draw.

None of these drugs are harmless - even caffeine can mess you up if you take too much. Marijuana is overall somewhat comparable to alcohol, but seems to have less predictability - some people can use it only on weekends and be fine otherwise, other people descend into psychosis from use and are permanently damaged:

https://alexberenson.substack.com/p/todays-extraordinary-new-york-times

State by state legalization is going from nearly full prohibition to nearly no restrictions in one jump, without any planning for or ways to deal with predictable harm. In Michigan we have a lot more marijuana-impaired drivers causing accidents, and we have the typical laziness lower-class issues that were always present, but made worse by legal marijuana and Covid-19 restrictions combined. Not a good mix.

jsbhike
10-06-22, 16:39

+1

Said it before, all other drugs combined will likely never catch up to the negatives of alcohol. While acknowledging all the problems arising from legal alcohol the fact remains that alcohol prohibition was even worse.

jsbhike
10-06-22, 16:58
I would say alcohol is more akin to opiates than any similarities between alcohol and marijuana.

Growing up in a dry option territory, I got to see a slight glimpse of one of the many issues of prohibition and that was the consumption of toxic alcohol(such as trying to filter after shave through bread) along with a very lite version of illegal distributors.

There was a reduction in alcohol use during prohibition(or at least a drop in such things as cirrhosis), but that was more than offset by the creation of private and public sector crime.

Considering alcohol and opiate withdrawals seem to be very similar, take in to consideration making alcohol use a widespread employment disqualifier and a large percentage of consumable alcohol being tainted to look at it from an apples to apples angle.

jesuvuah
10-06-22, 16:58
I have never understood the desire or need to be "high" all the time. And you can miss me with all the faux "medical benefits" crap too. You STINK like shit, look & act like it too. More idiots on the road impaired, eventually more harder drug use...dont even try argue with me about it..more & more cost in the end to taxpayers & society. All so some doofuses can sit around at "4:20" everyday and smoke dope.We legalized it in my state recently and your post reflects my experience.

Soli Deo Gloria

Inkslinger
10-06-22, 17:11
Do you know why liquor stores were allowed to be open during the lock downs? Because a lot of alcoholics would die if they couldn’t get booze. Can the same be said about cannabis? Save your replies if you think the answer is “yes”.

jesuvuah
10-06-22, 17:37
Do you know why liquor stores were allowed to be open during the lock downs? Because a lot of alcoholics would die if they couldn’t get booze. Can the same be said about cannabis? Save your replies if you think the answer is “yes”.I live in a state where it is legal, and the pot dispensaries were also allowed to be open. I doubt that either had to do with carring about anyone's safety.

Soli Deo Gloria

Inkslinger
10-06-22, 17:43
I live in a state where it is legal, and the pot dispensaries were also allowed to be open. I doubt that either had to do with carring about anyone's safety.

Soli Deo Gloria

Well, it certainly didn’t have anything to do with withdrawals.

jesuvuah
10-06-22, 17:51
I have read these threads on many different forums and they always amuse me. No one ever gives an argument on how pot is beneficial to society, just how there are things that are equally bad or worse.

Pot may be relatively harmless, but it's overall effect on society by embracing it is not so great. I have seen nothing but negative effects since my state has legalized it. Perhaps decriminalizing it would have been better than legalizingnit, I don't know.

I also know the evils of alcohol, as I had an abusive alcoholic father. I've also seen the grace of God and how someone like that can be transformed.

I imagine it is all part of the rot of our culture.

My vote is for legalizing God again. Perhaps if we could repent and heal our culture people wouldn't have the desire to be drunk or high all the time.

Now that I have spoken my mind, I prepare for incoming fire.

Soli Deo Gloria

Straight Shooter
10-06-22, 17:52
Hey dopers- FYI..last I heard Portland had a taxpayer funded program to teach dopers how to inject a needle into your asshole and shoot up that way.
When the weed runs out theres always that. Because after they legalized dope- they legalized THAT. Have fun!

titsonritz
10-06-22, 18:03
Never should have been illegal to begin with and was just another byproduct of selfish, greedy, power hungry big business and politicians.

Firefly
10-06-22, 18:17
Never should have been illegal to begin with and was just another byproduct of selfish, greedy, power hungry big business and politicians.

This. THIS.
There was a time in these United States when you could buy full auto, cocaine, morphine, and dynamite over the counter with no questions asked, marry at age 16, barely paid taxes, and the only law you answered to was a Sheriff you elected and not some revenuer from Washington.

They have successfully conditioned you to view your freedoms as selfish.

StainlessSteelRat
10-06-22, 19:03
Don't recall which of our Founders said, " A people who allow their Gov to decide what they may put into their mouths, are not free". Let people decide for themselves; natural selection will mitigate the problem far better than law enforcement ever could.

Wake27
10-06-22, 19:56
Yeah I’m down. Legalize it for the military and apply the same rules as alcohol and I bet you’d have less problems. I went to high school in San Diego and knew a lot of kids that smoked weed very often. Some were super dumb but many of the smartest kids in my class were in that group too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JediGuy
10-06-22, 20:20
We are on the other side of a ~100 year swing. Early 20th saw do-gooders and socialists teaming up to “help people.” Make guns, drugs, alcohol illegal while handing out loans, food, and housing assistance, etc.

Gun rights have steadily been regained. Personal health rights are swinging libertarian/original situation.

One can make a case for both extremes. But while swinging back from an extreme, I think we tend to forget why we restricted things in the first place.

Drugs (including alcohol for a while) were made illegal because of their effect on people and society. Alcohol… eh. I don’t enjoy. Marijuana? Eh. Stinks. Like bad. I can’t stand the smell. Alcohol’s lead over marijuana for ill societal impact would probably be even greater if marijuana wasn’t a black market.

It seems reflected in this thread that letting people do what they want (more freedom) doesn’t always make society better. We knew this. We know this. But right now, we see the ill effects of the war on drugs, which cannot ever be fixed (cartels are “legitimate” in many ways and won’t go away), maybe more than the impact drugs were having on society through the 20th century even before the “War” ramped up.

Everyone in here lobbing absolutes on either side…whatever

I know my brother started with alcohol and marijuana and ended in blood and vomit after a heroin/fentanyl mix. His choice? Sure. And I’d be OK if we took a cue from a certain Filipino president and allow a little libertarian justice for dealers.
I can’t stand any of it. But the nuance of my feeling is this: he learned how to buy illegal substances with marijuana. The door was open at that point. Would its being legal have avoided a move to others? Maybe. I think very possibly marijuana purchase trains many future heavier users, because “why not?” black market purchases and the culture more than as a gateway high.

So I like the idea of legalization. Until I visited Colorado. And read about the experiences of others as in this thread.

My instinct is that partial legalization is the right path, but carte blanche helps no one.

Wake27
10-06-22, 20:38
We are on the other side of a ~100 year swing. Early 20th saw do-gooders and socialists teaming up to “help people.” Make guns, drugs, alcohol illegal while handing out loans, food, and housing assistance, etc.

Gun rights have steadily been regained. Personal health rights are swinging libertarian/original situation.

One can make a case for both extremes. But while swinging back from an extreme, I think we tend to forget why we restricted things in the first place.

Drugs (including alcohol for a while) were made illegal because of their effect on people and society. Alcohol… eh. I don’t enjoy. Marijuana? Eh. Stinks. Like bad. I can’t stand the smell. Alcohol’s lead over marijuana for ill societal impact would probably be even greater if marijuana wasn’t a black market.

It seems reflected in this thread that letting people do what they want (more freedom) doesn’t always make society better. We knew this. We know this. But right now, we see the ill effects of the war on drugs, which cannot ever be fixed (cartels are “legitimate” in many ways and won’t go away), maybe more than the impact drugs were having on society through the 20th century even before the “War” ramped up.

Everyone in here lobbing absolutes on either side…whatever

I know my brother started with alcohol and marijuana and ended in blood and vomit after a heroin/fentanyl mix. His choice? Sure. And I’d be OK if we took a cue from a certain Filipino president and allow a little libertarian justice for dealers.
I can’t stand any of it. But the nuance of my feeling is this: he learned how to buy illegal substances with marijuana. The door was open at that point. Would its being legal have avoided a move to others? Maybe. I think very possibly marijuana purchase trains many future heavier users, because “why not?” black market purchases and the culture more than as a gateway high.

So I like the idea of legalization. Until I visited Colorado. And read about the experiences of others as in this thread.

My instinct is that partial legalization is the right path, but carte blanche helps no one.

I’ve always looked at weed being a gateway drug only for that reason: it’s the easiest and most acceptable illegal drug to get. If it weren’t illegal, I don’t think as many people would truly be gateway’d. The gateway isn’t the drug itself, it’s the legality of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ThirdWatcher
10-06-22, 21:07
Having done more than my fair share of the drug war; I say legalize it all and ban narcan
Alcohol is in no way morally or chemically superior.

I really don’t have a problem with it. I personally have no interest in doing dope. But I would be more than willing to let hopheads buy over the counter meth if it means 24/7 vending machines that dispense 10.4” HK416s and suppressors like in Cyberpunk 2077.

Same with prostitution. If we made it easier for people to get high and get laid we really wouldn’t have all the societal ills we put up with today.

I would rather people stay home hepped up on goofballs and farting in the bathtub and giggling about it than staying pissed, staying sober, shooting up kindergartens and being creeps.

I’m sick of this hall monitor society where the Republicans tell you how to be born and tell you how to die and the Democrats tut tut and tell you how to live and all the 700 Club comes out and frowns upon you getting wasted or having casual sex.

At some point your neanderthal ancestors ate strange shrooms and screwed like weasels.
I bet you all only like to poop at home too.

Sad.
I would like to tell you I felt professionally satisfied shoving an UMP or shotgun into a college kid’s face because of his home grow but I really didn’t.

That’s where I’m at. I quit seizing personal use marijuana (& arresting for it) sometime in the past millennium. I have never used it and probably never will but I do use alcohol (at home only, never in public and no driving). Alcohol has contributed to most of the chaos I’ve responded to in my corner of the world.

I once had a Defense Attorney try to embarrass me during a Jury Trial in an Assault case for not seizing the bag of marijuana in plain view on the coffee table. It backfired on him, his client was convicted and the following year Marijuana was legalized in this State.

utahjeepr
Meh. I don't endorse drug use, but it ain't like drugs aren't readily available everywhere. I don't want Johnny doing heroin but if he's gonna do it it would be better if he could buy it at Walgreens and have some measure of quality control than off the street laced with whatever Paco had at hand to cut with.

Nanny states wanna nanny, but dafuq business is it of the state (or yours) if I wanna do drugs and potentially screw up my life?

Besides, like I have said before, we can't keep drugs out of maximum security prisons, how we gonna keep them off the streets of a supposedly free society?

All prohibition is doing is making the Cartels and gangs rich. Now this state by state legalization, without the feds? Yeah that "quasi-legalization" still leaves the door open for the existing criminal organizations to keep a stranglehold on the drug business. It's kinda all or nothing on that front. Legitimate business interests have to be able to safely enter the market for legalization to work

Now, in my ideal world drugs would be legal with certain regulations but the industry would be niche and low volume cause nobody wants that crap. Unfortunately my ideal world ain't reality.

ThirdWatcher
G
This. THIS.
There was a time in these United States when you could buy full auto, cocaine, morphine, and dynamite over the counter with no questions asked, marry at age 16, barely paid taxes, and the only law you answered to was a Sheriff you elected and not some revenuer from Washington.

I agree with this too.

jsbhike
10-06-22, 21:24
Hey dopers- FYI..last I heard Portland had a taxpayer funded program to teach dopers how to inject a needle into your asshole and shoot up that way.
When the weed runs out theres always that. Because after they legalized dope- they legalized THAT. Have fun!

That would be .gov engaging in an action outside of it's legitimate functions much like .gov regulating drugs, guns, and a plethora of other illegitimate acts

jsbhike
10-06-22, 21:37
Alcohol’s lead over marijuana for ill societal impact would probably be even greater if marijuana wasn’t a black market.

One of the catches with illegal alcohol was tainted booze due to the distiller's ignorance, the distiller knowingly using toxic additives to increase yield or impart a faux appearance of quality, and even .gov mandate over commercial distilleries for awhile.

Had prohibition era employers been able to test for alcohol use US society would have undoubtedly become very sporty with a large number of unemployed alcoholics in need of a fix.

jsbhike
10-06-22, 21:48
The medical marijuana places are empty in our neck of the woods. People still buy from their local drug dealer because he is cheaper. Our dept is now offering overtime to sit at the dispensories to protect them from robberies. Tell me again how legalizing weed is better for us. You should see the amount of houses I go to where people are smoking weed around their kids. If they already didn't have a chance in life, this will only make it worse.

That would be due to .gov artificially increasing the price.

Let Missouri decide it wants to create a tax windfall by adding an exorbitant tax on liquor and liquor sales will drop with a corresponding increase in guys heading to the boonies with sacks of corn, sugar, and yeast and alcohol distributors suddenly getting in to shootouts over sales territories again.

gsd2053
10-06-22, 22:03
Oh, look. I just saw where Ole Feckless just pardoned thousands of convicted potheads a few minutes ago.
4:20 gonna be extra stinky today.
Im so glad he did it just before election. Not gonna help the way they told him it would.
ROTFLMAO

ClearedHot
10-07-22, 00:23
Weed will be legal on a federal level within 10 years.

AKDoug
10-07-22, 01:28
Weed will be legal on a federal level within 10 years.

I'll give it 18 months. Just in time for the Dems to try and gather up some more voters.

Alex V
10-07-22, 05:57
This. THIS.

Some of your ideas are out there but I’ve really missed these truth bombs. 100% on the money.

Saying that pot is a “gateway drug” is just shows that you sat through a DARE assembly in elementary school. If smoking pot takes you to heroin that’s on you since there are millions of people who have never gone that route and enjoy weed now and then.

https://youtu.be/7npWDyxB7d8

Firefly
10-07-22, 06:34
Exactly. Most people’s “education” about drugs comes from either one of Joe Friday’s speeches in the 60s, a DARE class in the 80s, or living in some square place.

One joint will not lead you to a life of hard drugs, violent crime, or poverty. At least not until The Man hets involved.

Know who the “victim” is in like 99% of Drug cases? Literally the State. Like State of Georgia or State of ________. And it’s for the same reason that suicide is illegal. Taxes and Control.

Now there are some legitimately evil people in the dope game who do step on others and run home invasion crews and sell women. And I wish you could legally kill them on sight and unarmed because they are thinking ahead enough to have bail money and decent lawyers.

But most people are just wanting to cut loose after a week at their grind.

I challenge people to research this group. I have no affiliation with them and am not directly endorsing them. I also don’t totally agree politically but they know what they are talking about.

https://lawenforcementactionpartnership.org/our-issues/drug-policy/

LEAP used to be single issue against the drug war. Now they branched out and are “woke” and YET AGAIN for the special ed types I do not explicitly endorse nor affiliate nor agree with all they say but I would rather law enforcement think five steps ahead about the totality of complex issues than just accept laws written in the 60s by people still young enough to have voted in Roosevelt.

As I age out and go into a more mentor role, I would rather young officers spend more time in a classroom and living with real people than in some “cop bar” listening to some old fatass’ bullshit war stories about tuning up mouthy blacks after midnight or at the gun range comparing their latest AR builds the way 10 year olds compare lego builds

Harpoon
10-07-22, 06:53
This. THIS.

We all lost when Imperial Subjugation won the war over States Rights.

AndyLate
10-07-22, 07:04
I spent 3 years in the Netherlands where weed was legal and really no big deal, unless you were a tourist. There were plenty of hard-drug addicts in the city where I lived but they didn't really bother anyone, except for B&E houses and cars.

Unfortunately, you just cannot treat Americans like the Dutch people or Europeans in general. We are a bunch of daggum scofflaws and just do what we want - they are much more disciplined in their day to day lives.

It has nothing to do with race, btw. Plenty of POC in Europe, plenty of white trash in the US acting like they are straight out of Compton.

Andy

gsd2053
10-07-22, 10:22
Exactly. Most people’s “education” about drugs comes from either one of Joe Friday’s speeches in the 60s, a DARE class in the 80s, or living in some square place.

One joint will not lead you to a life of hard drugs, violent crime, or poverty. At least not until The Man hets involved.

Know who the “victim” is in like 99% of Drug cases? Literally the State. Like State of Georgia or State of ________. And it’s for the same reason that suicide is illegal. Taxes and Control.

Now there are some legitimately evil people in the dope game who do step on others and run home invasion crews and sell women. And I wish you could legally kill them on sight and unarmed because they are thinking ahead enough to have bail money and decent lawyers.

But most people are just wanting to cut loose after a week at their grind.

I challenge people to research this group. I have no affiliation with them and am not directly endorsing them. I also don’t totally agree politically but they know what they are talking about.

https://lawenforcementactionpartnership.org/our-issues/drug-policy/

LEAP used to be single issue against the drug war. Now they branched out and are “woke” and YET AGAIN for the special ed types I do not explicitly endorse nor affiliate nor agree with all they say but I would rather law enforcement think five steps ahead about the totality of complex issues than just accept laws written in the 60s by people still young enough to have voted in Roosevelt.

As I age out and go into a more mentor role, I would rather young officers spend more time in a classroom and living with real people than in some “cop bar” listening to some old fatass’ bullshit war stories about tuning up mouthy blacks after midnight or at the gun range comparing their latest AR builds the way 10 year olds compare lego builds

This is spot on.
https://youtu.be/W8yYJ_oV6xk

kerplode
10-07-22, 10:29
All drugs should be legal.

Except Narcan...

prepare
10-07-22, 11:05
The war on drugs creates wealth.

Disciple
10-07-22, 13:36
Pot may be relatively harmless, but it's overall effect on society by embracing it is not so great. I have seen nothing but negative effects since my state has legalized it. Perhaps decriminalizing it would have been better than legalizing it, I don't know.

What distinction are you making and how would it matter?

titsonritz
10-07-22, 13:56
The war on drugs creates wealth.

...and a wealth of violence.

ddbtoth
10-08-22, 22:21
My school, and others in my district, are over run with THC vaping crap from Colorado . Really helps my students learn. But “F‘em”, they black kids anyway and never were going to amount to anything (democrat doublespeak to feel better). As usual, the real war is against the colored people, the democrats really hate them.

Averageman
10-08-22, 22:43
I'm really not effected my neighbors Marijuana use. I'm much more concerned about drunk drivers, taxes and corrupt Politicians.
If we're all grown-ups and play by grown-up rules, behave Ourselves and act accordinly, have fun. Or just do all your F'ed up shtick at home with the lights low.
I really don't care.
What kills me though everywhere they've legalized, the State steps in with unreasonable tax rates. This in turn makes am even bigger Black Market, but now these guys are more organized and they've got too many ways to circumvent the system.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-09-22, 00:11
Legalize it all

1. I am an adult and it should be up to me what I put in my body. If I want to drink gasoline that's my business.
2. The war on drugs has been a complete failure. If you can't make the train run on time AND you are taking away my freedom you have a shitty idea.
3. I am currently drunk on makers mark. I am sitting at my house. Why would it be worse if I was high on weed? It wouldn't be.

Korgs130
10-09-22, 14:28
I’m not opposed to legalizing cannabis . People find all sorts of things to abuse. But let’s talk about responsible use.

When I use alcohol I know exactly how and how long it is going to impair me based on the the ABV of what I’m drinking. After a long day at work I can wind down with a single 2 oz serving Col Taylor bourbon (1 oz of alcohol) and not be considered impaired by any metric. The FAA has specific guidance and how long I have to abstain and what my BAC has to be below prior to flying. Super easy to enjoy alcohol responsibly.

How do I do the same with cannabis? I have zero first hand experience here so this isn’t a rhetorical question. After I consume a serving of cannabis am I impaired? How long am I impaired? Can I operate an motor vehicle? Am okay to operate a commercial airliner with 185 souls aboard 8 hours after consuming a serving of cannabis? How do I know?

Averageman
10-09-22, 14:33
IHow do I do the same with cannabis? I have zero first hand experience here so this isn’t a rhetorical question. After I consume a serving of cannabis am I impaired? How long am I impaired? Can I operate an motor vehicle? Am okay to operate a commercial airliner with 185 souls aboard 8 hours after consuming a serving of cannabis? How do I know?

I would reccomend trying it then in a relaxing enviroment with friends.
I think you'll find you'll relax, maybe sleep very well and feel great in the morning with no after effects.

Korgs130
10-09-22, 15:07
I would reccomend trying it then in a relaxing enviroment with friends.
I think you'll find you'll relax, maybe sleep very well and feel great in the morning with no after effects.

You recommend I try it? How much should I try? What type should I try? LOL, I like my job and the life a it allows me a little too much do that right now. What you say might very well be true, but that doesn’t answer any of my questions. Those questions will have to have definite answers once the cannabis prohibition lifted.

Averageman
10-09-22, 16:00
You recommend I try it? How much should I try? What type should I try? LOL, I like my job and the life a it allows me a little too much do that right now. What you say might very well be true, but that doesn’t answer any of my questions. Those questions will have to have definite answers once the cannabis prohibition lifted.

Well in that case, abstain.
Simple aint it?

prepare
10-09-22, 17:44
Maybe there will be a pilots blend. Like a pre-flight, mid-flight, post flight variety. FFA approved.

tn1911
10-09-22, 17:57
Maybe there will be a pilots blend. Like a pre-flight, mid-flight, post flight variety. FFA approved.

V1 cut and the emergency decent blends sound tasty!

Of course someone’s gotta make a coffin corner blend!

Det-Sog
10-09-22, 17:59
Watch the other hand. It will effect the mid-terms. EVERY TIME weed gets on a ballot, every gimme free stuff stoner and stoner want to be crawls out from every crevasse of society and VOTES... Democrat. It's an instant rally of the base.

Inkslinger
10-09-22, 18:00
One thing that would be nice is if the updated drug testing as it relates to marijuana. Placebo effect or not, a small amount of edible marijuana helps me sleep through the pain from a hip that should have been replaced 10 years ago. Because I am randomly drug tested for work, I do it very infrequently. I find it funny how something like cannabis can stay in your system so long, but things like Coke or meth can be gone in a couple of days.

I do plan on getting my hips replaced. Some day. I’m at an age now that would most likely result in me needing to have them replaced again. Two hip replacements I can tolerate, but 4? No thanks. Let a brother take a puff or three in the evening and relax and have a good nights sleep.

SomeOtherGuy
10-09-22, 21:21
Watch the other hand. It will effect the mid-terms. EVERY TIME weed gets on a ballot, every gimme free stuff stoner and stoner want to be crawls out from every crevasse of society and VOTES... Democrat. It's an instant rally of the base.

The major reason that Michigan went from moderate milquetoast Republican to hard-left lockdown crazy people in 2018 was weed on the ballot.

DG23
10-10-22, 06:57
Well, it certainly didn’t have anything to do with withdrawals.

X father in law would definitely be going through some withdrawal problems if he ran out of weed.

When that guy sits down to have his morning cup of coffee he rolls about 7 or 8 fat joints just to 'start' his day off. That 7 or 8 number is assuming the stuff is really powerful.

Guy makes Cheech and Chong look like wusses for how 'little' they smoke.

Inkslinger
10-10-22, 07:01
X father in law would definitely be going through some withdrawal problems if he ran out of weed.

When that guy sits down to have his morning cup of coffee he rolls about 7 or 8 fat joints just to 'start' his day off. That 7 or 8 number is assuming the stuff is really powerful.

Guy makes Cheech and Chong look like wusses for how 'little' they smoke.

But his withdrawal would not potentially end in his death like many alcoholics.

AndyLate
10-10-22, 07:28
One thing that would be nice is if the updated drug testing as it relates to marijuana. Placebo effect or not, a small amount of edible marijuana helps me sleep through the pain from a hip that should have been replaced 10 years ago. Because I am randomly drug tested for work, I do it very infrequently. I find it funny how something like cannabis can stay in your system so long, but things like Coke or meth can be gone in a couple of days.

I do plan on getting my hips replaced. Some day. I’m at an age now that would most likely result in me needing to have them replaced again. Two hip replacements I can tolerate, but 4? No thanks. Let a brother take a puff or three in the evening and relax and have a good nights sleep.

THC is a drug with known benefits. Unfortunately, medical marijuana is not treated as a drug, it is just a way to step around the law.

If the intent of medical marijuana was to treat something, there wouldn't be dispensaries selling products called Pinapple Express.

We certainly have the ability to extract THC and supend it in a carrier (i.e. vaping). THC capsules would be easy enough to produce and prescribe. It doesn't matter - the intent is to leverage "medical" marijuana laws to facilitate recreational use.

Andy

Korgs130
10-10-22, 08:33
V1 cut and the emergency decent blends sound tasty!

Of course someone’s gotta make a coffin corner blend!

Awesome. A stratosphere blend might be good too.

SomeOtherGuy
10-10-22, 08:42
It doesn't matter - the intent is to leverage "medical" marijuana laws to facilitate recreational use.

Andy

Very successfully, got to watch the whole dumb process firsthand in Michigan. Demand for "medical" mj has disappeared now.

I feel for the very small number of people with a medical need for marijuana, and recognize that federal law on that issue has been stupid and created a nearly impossible hurdle. But I also saw that when Michigan had only "medical" marijuana, about 95% of the use was no more medical than Jack Daniels.

I don't know the best answer. Lots of libertarian types who mostly seem to be either in states where it's still illegal, or jaded cops who are tired of dealing with small time users. I get that. I don't want anyone getting killed or sent to prison over marijuana. But I want people to be aware that full legalization has MAJOR social consequences, not good ones. Maybe there is some happy in-between status.

Korgs130
10-10-22, 08:48
Well in that case, abstain.
Simple aint it?

For sure. I abstain now because it’s currently a controlled substance and I get drug tested by FAA regulation. ANY THC in my system and I lose my license. I also get random breathalyzer tests.

Once cannabis is no longer a controlled substance, how should the FAA test to determine if a pilot is impaired? I’ve yet an answer on that one. Not talking about you in specific Average, but there seem to be no answers to that anywhere.

Averageman
10-10-22, 12:10

Here in lies the irony.
What if I told you that this is all driven by insurance? It's a "Loophole" they use everytime possible to get out of paying for accidents. Forklift driver ran over someone's foot? PISSTEST !
Now if for any possible reason someone might come up positive for THC, we will make this the sharpest tool in the Insurance Companies tool box. SO MAKE THE POT TEST ABSOLUTELY THE TOUGHEST TO BEAT. Simply because they don't want to pay out.
Where I live, Crackheads aren't parking cars, Heroin addicts arent removing gall bladers and Police Officers aren't using PCP. People simply cannot function normally and do/use those drugs, but smoke a joint and within 6 hours all of the major effects of that joint are gone.
So because of the workforce, being made up of mostly functionable people, they're a bit more difficult for the Insurance Companies to scam.
I mean you can get off work, drink 8 IPA's and a pint of Jamisons, get four hours of sleep and get up and run PT everyday. I know because I often did just that, never a problem. Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed by 7:30 and fully functional and ready to go after a shower. I did that for a decade and a half man.
Trust me, the effects were still there and over the years it got worse.
That was good to go and socially acceptable, but had I a nanogram of THC in my system, I would have been discharged from the Army with a BCD.
But, back to our Forklift Driver;
He smoked a joint two weeks ago at a BBQ and in this case the Pedestrian was clearly in the wrong, both got pissed, but only he got caught.
See what I mean? See the irony?
Just an observation;
We allow via "regulation" the Insurance Companies to write Law.

AndyLate
10-10-22, 13:24
The easy answer is to legalize MJ, but then what about similar drugs? Does the ATF become AMTF? Only available in tax stamped packages? How do the cartels still get paid?

Andy

Inkslinger
10-10-22, 13:49
Here in lies the irony.
What if I told you that this is all driven by insurance? It's a "Loophole" they use everytime possible to get out of paying for accidents. Forklift driver ran over someone's foot? PISSTEST !
Now if for any possible reason someone might come up positive for THC, we will make this the sharpest tool in the Insurance Companies tool box. SO MAKE THE POT TEST ABSOLUTELY THE TOUGHEST TO BEAT. Simply because they don't want to pay out.
Where I live, Crackheads aren't parking cars, Heroin addicts arent removing gall bladers and Police Officers aren't using PCP. People simply cannot function normally and do/use those drugs, but smoke a joint and within 6 hours all of the major effects of that joint are gone.
So because of the workforce, being made up of mostly functionable people, they're a bit more difficult for the Insurance Companies to scam.
I mean you can get off work, drink 8 IPA's and a pint of Jamisons, get four hours of sleep and get up and run PT everyday. I know because I often did just that, never a problem. Bright Eyed and Bushy Tailed by 7:30 and fully functional and ready to go after a shower. I did that for a decade and a half man.
Trust me, the effects were still there and over the years it got worse.
That was good to go and socially acceptable, but had I a nanogram of THC in my system, I would have been discharged from the Army with a BCD.
But, back to our Forklift Driver;
He smoked a joint two weeks ago at a BBQ and in this case the Pedestrian was clearly in the wrong, both got pissed, but only he got caught.
See what I mean? See the irony?
Just an observation;
We allow via "regulation" the Insurance Companies to write Law.

You’re not telling me anything I didn’t already know. I deal with hungover coworkers regularly. Yet I’m the one making sure I’m well hydrated Monday morning if I took half an edible on Friday night to get some quality sleep into Saturday morning. The other thing that adds insult to injury is that even though I’m one of the oldest there, I’m more physically fit, intellectually in tune with work and the world, and perform my role at a much higher standard than most of them combined.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-10-22, 14:31
On the Biden giving a free pass to people caught with pot, how exactly do you get charged by THE FEDS for simple possession??? A guy with a couple of joints is caught by the feds how? Or is it more likely that they were a distributor/dealer and plead it down? Even then, how many small dealers are caught by the FEDS??

kaiservontexas
10-10-22, 16:09
Half life of the harder drugs is why they possess the withdrawals they do, which includes alcohol at 24 hours. Pot takes about a month, which is why nobody is going through heroin type withdrawals over it versus nicotine that takes about seven days. Alcohol and meth are the two that actually may kill due to withdrawals.

They already are able to test to know how much and about how long. The more exacting the requirements. The more expensive the test, plus the longer it takes to receive results.

kaiservontexas
10-10-22, 16:10
On the Biden giving a free pass to people caught with pot, how exactly do you get charged by THE FEDS for simple possession??? A guy with a couple of joints is caught by the feds how? Or is it more likely that they were a distributor/dealer and plead it down? Even then, how many small dealers are caught by the FEDS??

I would like a answer to that question.

Averageman
10-10-22, 20:29
I would like a answer to that question.

Get caught in a National Park with a couple joints while camping?

ChattanoogaPhil
10-11-22, 11:13
Regardless of ill effects, which can be argued endlessly, I don't believe it's the role of government to outlaw the cultivation or consumption among adults. Protections for minors as with all things.

DG23
10-11-22, 13:28
For sure. I abstain now because it’s currently a controlled substance and I get drug tested by FAA regulation. ANY THC in my system and I lose my license. I also get random breathalyzer tests.

Once cannabis is no longer a controlled substance, how should the FAA test to determine if a pilot is impaired? I’ve yet an answer on that one. Not talking about you in specific Average, but there seem to be no answers to that anywhere.

Called a saliva test and will tell if you are high right then or earlier that day but NOT say anything about what you may have done a week ago like a blood or urine test would.

Inkslinger
10-11-22, 13:40
Called a saliva test and will tell if you are high right then or earlier that day but NOT say anything about what you may have done a week ago like a blood or urine test would.

Those test can detect usage 24-48 hours.

DG23
10-11-22, 15:08
Those test can detect usage 24-48 hours.

Which is good if trying to determine if a guy is high right then vs if he got high one time, a month ago...

DG23
10-11-22, 15:21
But his withdrawal would not potentially end in his death like many alcoholics.

You don't 'know' grandpa.

That guy was way past 'irritable' if he was not high. Somebody in that family would have killed his ass if he had to go a week without. Doubt he would really make it an entire week before someone took him on a 'nature walk' to help him 'calm down'. Weed allowed that fool to be somewhat 'tolerable' to pretty much anyone around him. Without it he was pretty much good for nothing but problems.

Inkslinger
10-11-22, 15:31
Which is good if trying to determine if a guy is high right then vs if he got high one time, a month ago...

Sure, it can determine if a person is “high right then”. They could have been high two days ago yet fail the test. As far as I know, a blood test is the only way to determine if you are under the influence at the time of testing.

Inkslinger
10-11-22, 15:32
You don't 'know' grandpa.

That guy was way past 'irritable' if he was not high. Somebody in that family would have killed his ass if he had to go a week without. Doubt he would really make it an entire week before someone took him on a 'nature walk' to help him 'calm down'. Weed allowed that fool to be somewhat 'tolerable' to pretty much anyone around him. Without it he was pretty much good for nothing but problems.

I guess in your world that’s the equivalent to literally dying from withdrawals…