PDA

View Full Version : "Abrams X" tank demonstrator

Slater
10-09-22, 11:52
Since this is only a technology demonstrator, some, all, or none of these enhancements may make it into service (funds permitting, of course). The claim of 50% reduction in fuel usage is impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfuyyxFtgQ

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-09-22, 12:14
At least you can put out a diesel fire, a battery pack…. I had a 1S battery from a remote airplane about the size of postage stamp ‘go-off’ in my pocket… almost got caught taking my pants off (again) in the public park. Still afraid of the damn things. Batteries, not parks.

mack7.62
10-09-22, 13:52
At least you can put out a diesel fire, a battery pack…. I had a 1S battery from a remote airplane about the size of postage stamp ‘go-off’ in my pocket… almost got caught taking my pants off (again) in the public park. Still afraid of the damn things. Batteries, not parks.

Since this is only a technology demonstrator, some, all, or none of these enhancements may make it into service (funds permitting, of course). The claim of 50% reduction in fuel usage is impressive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcfuyyxFtgQ

I don't buy it, does the 50% include the fuel needed for the generators to power the chargers to recharge the batteries. How long to refuel, is it going to take 4 days like the new EV Hummer? If they want to impress me show me it can keep up with a regular Abrams during a week long combat exercise.

Not to mention losing a loader means you increase the workload of the other crew by 1/3.

Averageman
10-09-22, 14:50
Abrams Tanks are plauged by batttery issues.
It requires an awful lot of battery power to operate "Silent Watch" at night. Your batteries might start weakening an hour in to silent watch and if it does you'll need to fire up the tank to recharge them. Not very Silent anymore.
If you add a generator, and a generator is whats needed, you remove space formarly occupied by crew gear or tools. You've already taken away one sponson box, you certainly can take another but then that starts a whole new can of worms on what gear do you need as tank specific and pioneer tools.
The CROWS System in my experiance is garbage and absolute waste of money. One Division Commander in Fort Hood has had them removed from his tanks. They are complex, rather delicate, require a very specific set of maintenance skills and make your vehicle 3 feet taller.

You don't always need more technology, often experiance is much more important.

mack7.62
10-09-22, 15:51
You have to understand the AbramsX is a "green" tank, you will be required to sacrifice capability for virtue signaling.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-09-22, 22:58
At least it isn't a humvee with a chain gun identifying as a main battle tank.

PEW-PEW....

Harpoon
10-10-22, 12:44
What's the difference in the price of a main battle tank compared to a quad drone that can drop a bomb on such tanks?