PDA

View Full Version : Discussion of Columbus Day and indgenous people's day.

Harpoon
10-10-22, 09:45
How did diversity and multiculturalism work out for you all?

Firefly
10-10-22, 10:17
I dunno…..

How did the Romans work out for the Jews?

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-10-22, 10:17
This guy does a good job of breaking down the BS around Columbus. Not only the usual stuff like what I argue (Hey, you mean this fearless Italian mariner from 6 centuries ago wasn't woke enough for twitter?). He basically points out that not only do people not understand history and context, but a lot of the stuff they say isn't even true.

https://youtu.be/MshsZPD2aNs

chuckman
10-10-22, 10:30
To me, and where I live, Colombus Day isn't a thing; just another day. Not minimizing it, it's not celebrated here. But other places it's a huge deal.

We we're in NYC on Colombus Day, 2001, a month after 9/11...ash and smoke was still lingering over the southern half of Manhattan, Ground Zero was still a freaking mess, but they had a huge parade for Colombus Day. It was also the weekend Bush announced air strikes in Afghanistan.

The Dumb Gun Collector
10-10-22, 11:05
You can tell the Democrats know they are in for a rough election because I have heard very little shitting on Columbus today. For the past 5-10 years every Columbus Day is an assault of stupid VoX and Atlantic hit pieces. Last year grandpa Joe even stumbled into the mess. This year they don't seem to want to draw as much attention to it. Almost as if they are trying to look less obnoxious for the election.

sgtrock82
10-10-22, 11:55
You can tell the Democrats know they are in for a rough election because I have heard very little shitting on Columbus today. For the past 5-10 years every Columbus Day is an assault of stupid VoX and Atlantic hit pieces. Last year grandpa Joe even stumbled into the mess. This year they don't seem to want to draw as much attention to it. Almost as if they are trying to look less obnoxious for the election.This, I honestly forgot it was Columbus day because usually it's been preceded by a months worth of hand wringing. All the dang pizza shops are closed lol I hadn't planned on this lmao!

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Todd00000
10-10-22, 20:11
Mass murder, wars, and slavery: That's the legacy of the Native Americans. But really, no group of humans is better than another, we tend to treat each other poorly.

Buckaroo
10-10-22, 22:35
Mass murder, wars, and slavery: That's the legacy of the Native Americans. But really, no group of humans is better than another, we tend to treat each other poorly.

You forgot genocide

yoni
10-11-22, 05:23
Columbus day, why did this become a holiday in the USA?

I mean he never set foot in the USA, he was in the island of Hispaniola today's DR and Haiti and Jamaica

WillBrink
10-11-22, 08:09
Columbus was a product of his time, not even close to the worst of them for his time. Humans are monsters, full stop. The "indgenous people" were different and took slaves, took each others land by force, etc etc.

Finally, there are no indigenous people in the US, none. Humans are not indigenous to the continent. They just found the place a lot earlier than the Vikings did, and then Columbus, who never actually set foot on the continent. You get there first, and can defend it from from who want to take it by force, you own it. If you can't hold it, you lose it. They lost it "we" took it. Those with superior weapons and tactics and such, usually win. That is the nature of humanity.

Such has always been in all continents on all major cultures for all time, or since humans started throwing rocks and spears at each others on some savanna in Africa. That was the norm in Europe, Africa, South and Central America, Asia, etc, etc. War, violence, slavery, power struggles, etc, etc.

Humans are extremely tribal and aggressive, and until people accept that reality, they will continue to live in delusion of human nature and history.

I'd have no issue with a "First Persons Day" as that's accurate, they were on North American continent first as far as we know, and make it another date from Columbus Day so it can be properly appreciated and observed. They deserve more than being a pawn in others political pissing matches for revisionist history. Would also seem if that's the goal to give a holiday to anyone who was on the continent after the First People's, the Vikings, who legit spent time on the continent at least 500 years before Columbus, should get (another worthless) holiday too for all inclusiveness.

teufelhund1918
10-11-22, 09:26
As far as the slavery issue is concerned with me, every race has at one time or another been a slave at one point and a slave owner at another.

As far as the Columbus Day holiday, I don't care what you call it. I'll take it. Paid day off for me... make it a week.

Harpoon
10-11-22, 13:43
As far as the slavery issue is concerned with me, every race has at one time or another been a slave at one point and a slave owner at another.

As far as the Columbus Day holiday, I don't care what you call it. I'll take it. Paid day off for me... make it a week.

Nailed it. ^
In the history of humans, lots of different peoples have been slaves at one time or another.
We got over it.

Harpoon
10-11-22, 14:14
I would just like to point out one thing here. Some Moderator changed my thread title.
And in doing so, made a spelling error with the word Indigenous.
WTF?

The_War_Wagon
10-11-22, 18:47
Still a big deal in Pittsburgh & statewide holiday!

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/pittsburgh-columbus-day-parade-happening-in-bloomfield-on-saturday/

AKDoug
10-11-22, 22:50
Not really a big deal up here. Alaska replaced Columbus with Indigenous in 2015, but it's not an "official" state holiday. My Native Alaskan buddies realyy DGAF about it.

Averageman
10-12-22, 09:26
Intresting theory;
Columbus had maps that were available to from an ancient old library in Portugal that were at least 400 years old. The Muslims brought those records with them.

nick84
10-12-22, 18:35
The progressive urge to feel correct at all points in history is one of the more obnoxious tendencies of that particular group of animals.

As if they would have said the same things 500 years ago that they say on twitter today. This sort of revisionism must feel good, but it ain't real. Why waste time arguing with it?