PDA

View Full Version : NGSW on track for 2023 service entry

Slater
10-10-22, 15:14
The Army sounds optimistic about these weapons. Hope the fancy optic is all it's cracked up to be.

"The NGSW-Fire Control is a computer-assisted optic that wirelessly links with soldier devices and includes aim correction, a first focal plane optic, a disturbed reticle, a ballistics computer and a laser rangefinder.

Once fielded, the optic will be called the M157.

Even in its most degraded form, no computer, just glass, uses a 1-8x variable optic that exceeds the performance of the existing M68 and ACOG optics now fielded, said Maj. Alexander Kipetz, NGSW-Fire Control assistant product manager.

A quick peek through the scope shows an aim point at the desired range with left and right windage adjustments embedded. The device has every ballistic configuration for all weapons and calibers loaded. So, users could slap the NGSW-Fire Control on their M4s or crew-served machine guns, if needed.

The optic provides cant, inclination, azimuth and temperature data to best match the shooter’s aim point, weapon and caliber combination to get rounds on target."

https://www.defensenews.com/news/2022/10/10/next-generation-squad-weapon-fielding-in-2023/

ddbtoth
10-10-22, 20:24
Is it Marine proof?

Todd00000
10-10-22, 20:42
More batteries to carry, light Infantry, my ass.

10-11-22, 02:44
Is it Marine proof?

Marines just bought VCOGs, and they don’t usually get an Army number of do-overs on this kind of stuff. So, we’ll find out if its Marine-proof in like 2035, unless the dudes with Razors and Elcans trade them in for NGSW-FC.

Disciple
10-14-22, 12:58
Fire Control implies this handles shot release as well. Is that true?

ABNAK
10-14-22, 18:55
A good friend of mine is a retired SGM from 5th SFG. A couple of weeks ago they had the annual 5th Group reunion at Ft. Campbell. On one of the days they go to a high-speed indoor range that Group had built. They get to shoot just about all the small arms. When my buddy asked about the NGSW he was told "It won't be here, we can't even get ammo for it". Hmmm.....yeah, I know it's essentially a year earlier than the planned deployment date of this system, but really?

Slater
10-14-22, 19:04
Lake City is supposed to be tooling up for the ammo, but that might take a while.

ABNAK
10-14-22, 19:28
If it all flies like it's supposed to, I will make a prediction: supposedly there are 2 versions of the ammo, one loaded at lower pressures for training, and the other for the whacky-zany 80K psi combat load. I predict that if everything goes according to plan and the system (along with the 2 types of ammo) is indeed fielded, that eventually the DoD will opt for the lower pressure round with the same bullet as the hotter one. Accelerated parts breakage will probably ensure that happens. Same lethal projectile but downloaded just a bit to increase the service life of the weapon will be what I surmise to occur eventually.

Slater
10-14-22, 19:42
We kind of forced the 7.62x51mm round down NATO's throat. Then NATO adopted the 5.56 round as standard, without much arm twisting (AIUI). I would think that this new round might become NATO standard as well, although that might take some time.