PDA

View Full Version : Is there any shame in what I would like to do?

5.56Geo
10-13-22, 08:00
I have an older Glock 21 Gen2. I hunt deer but have never hunted with a hand gun. I also like the 10mm caliber and have dabbled in it a little. I was thinking of building an aftermarket 10mm upper/slide and barrel with an RMR cut to be used for hunting. Is there any shame in what I would like to do? Have others done caliber changes to the Glocks, or to any other handgun manufacture? Any recommendations as far as barrel and slide manufacture?

I live in California, unfortunately we are limited to the Glock 20 Gen2/3, and Glock 29 Gen3 as far as 10mm Glocks. Glock 20's are like hens teeth and demand a premium on the used market. Even at a premium they don't last long.

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.

-Geo

Stopsign32v
10-13-22, 08:21
I wouldn't do it. A pistol round does no more damage than punching a hole the size of the round in the target, while a rifle round does much more damage. I'm not a hunter and I see no joy in increasing the change of suffering on an animal. If I did hunt I would use the most effective tool for a fast kill. But that's just me.

dmd08
10-13-22, 09:19
I don't know anything about Glock 10mm conversions but what does shame have to do with anything? If you want to convert your Glock and hunt with it, do it.

yoni
10-13-22, 09:23
oh the shame, you must bow your head in shame .

460 Roland is what you need to go for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9gfAgsyaRw&t=36s

markm
10-13-22, 09:26
Wounding animals for some self-handicapping thrill isn't my bag. But whatever.

gunnerblue
10-13-22, 10:20
Understand the limitations of the round and your own shooting ability. Personally I would limit my shots to traditional archery range and use a heavy flat-point solid.

ST911
10-13-22, 10:28
Shot a lot of deer with pistols. A 10mm G20 is GTG for that. Knowing your limitations, proximity, and shot placement is key.

ryr8828
10-13-22, 10:33
If you want to make a 10mm then make one. I wouldn't hunt deer with it though.

5.56Geo
10-13-22, 10:43
As a side note:

I am an ethical hunter. I fill the freezer with what I harvest. I'm not into making creatures suffer by taking shots that will not offer desired results. The correct distance, shot placement and bullet choice is critical, I understand that. I've been hunting for a long time. If hunting is not you gig I respect that. Please don't assume I treat hunting as a joke or or with little regard.

There, I had to clear the air on the notion that I'll be using "Ball" or "FMJ" ammo and taking shots greater than 50 years.

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated.

glocktogo
10-13-22, 11:35
As a side note:

I am an ethical hunter. I fill the freezer with what I harvest. I'm not into making creatures suffer by taking shots that will not offer desired results. The correct distance, shot placement and bullet choice is critical, I understand that. I've been hunting for a long time. If hunting is not you gig I respect that. Please don't assume I treat hunting as a joke or or with little regard.

There, I had to clear the air on the notion that I'll be using "Ball" or "FMJ" ammo and taking shots greater than 50 years.

Thanks guys for your input, much appreciated.

I fall on the side of using a good bonded JHP and treating your hunt as if you were using archery equipment, and you're gtg. Practice your hunting shots from improvised field positions and limit your range to shots you know you can make.

pinzgauer
10-13-22, 12:10
I wouldn't do it. A pistol round does no more damage than punching a hole the size of the round in the target, while a rifle round does much more damage.

Sounds like you guys have never seen the results of serious pistol hunters, much less hunted with a pistol. Or possibly hunted at all.

10mm or 41 mag with good ammo or handloads can drop deer or hog in their tracks. Reasonable range and good shot placement. Just like with rifle hunting.

And there is a ton of deer taken with 44 mag in both pistols and carbines. I have a 41 mag Henry lever action with a RMR that I will judiciously hunt with as well.

You just need to know your limits and reasonable range for the cartridge. Just like with muzzleloaders, archery, etc.

Also recognize in the southeast you might be doing good to get a shot longer than 25-35 yards and often times they are 5 to 15 yd. Just depends on where you are hunting.

Likewise, there are orders of magnitude more deer wounded and not recovered by rifle hunters each year then pistol, archery, and muzzleloader all put together.

People taking shots at running deer, extreme distances, bad placement, etc.

10-13-22, 17:38
I wouldn't do it. A pistol round does no more damage than punching a hole the size of the round in the target, while a rifle round does much more damage. I'm not a hunter and I see no joy in increasing the change of suffering on an animal. If I did hunt I would use the most effective tool for a fast kill. But that's just me.

Not really true of magnum class pistol rounds in animals, but even if true that’s where that dirty little secret of shot placement comes in
But what do I know, I’m actually a hunter

10-13-22, 17:40

Then improve your accuracy and judgement on when and when not to take the shot. But whatever.

CRAMBONE
10-13-22, 23:54
Y’all realize pistol hunting has been around for quite a while right? It’s not like this guy just invented the idea of making hunting harder. Someone needs to resurrect Elmer Keith and tell him how horrible of a human he was. Or geez maybe ol Fred Bear needs a tongue lashing using that horrible nasty traditional archery equipment instead of a .300WM.

mark5pt56
10-14-22, 06:33
I fall on the side of using a good bonded JHP and treating your hunt as if you were using archery equipment, and you're gtg. Practice your hunting shots from improvised field positions and limit your range to shots you know you can make.

This, most hunters fail at this and attempt to make shots they have never practiced.

gaijin
10-14-22, 06:45
I’ve hunted Hogs and Whitetail for years with ,41/,44 and ,45 Colt revolvers successfully.
My shots are limited to 50+- yds. I’ve always used irons, but RD would be a better option.
I look at handgun hunting similar to bow, in terms of range limitation.
Don’t be afraid to try it.

The_War_Wagon
10-14-22, 08:49
Shoot, unionized Italian gangsters used to hunt with ye olde 6" 1911 back in the day!

http://youtu.be/zE2-th0lNbg

yoni
10-14-22, 09:26
I am not Italian, but I have two:cool::cool: 6inch barreled Glocks

CDW4ME
10-14-22, 12:28
I was a bowhunter.
Decided to shoot one more deer, but with a 10mm pistol.
Ground blind, same as bowhunting, set up for a 20 yard (or closer) shot.
Colt Delta Elite and a Handloaded 155 XTP that was 1,400 fps at the muzzle which I figured should hit at 18 yards about like factory ammo from Glock 20 at muzzle.
18 yard shot

glocktogo
10-14-22, 13:21
I was a bowhunter.
Decided to shoot one more deer, but with a 10mm pistol.
Ground blind, same as bowhunting, set up for a 20 yard (or closer) shot.
Colt Delta Elite and a Handloaded 155 XTP that was 1,400 fps at the muzzle which I figured should hit at 18 yards about like factory ammo from Glock 20 at muzzle.
18 yard shot

Nice!

I haven't hunted with my RMR equipped G40 yet, but I did hunt for a while with a 629MG. I exclusively used Winchester (Nosler) 250gr Partition Gold ammo and never had any issues with dropping a deer just as quickly as with a rifle. It was some of the most enjoyable hunting I ever did, because my hands were both free, my load was light and it was like a casual hike in the woods. Well, on the way in at least. :)

5.56Geo
10-14-22, 19:05
Thanks guys, full steam ahead!

I reload, I ordered some Barnes TAC XP’s 140 grain and 155 grain copper hollow point bullets. I’ll have fun developing a good hunting load. In California our bullets must be lead free. I will be ordering at least a 5.19” Tactical barrel or possibly a 6” hunter barrel haven’t decided just yet. The slide will be sent in for an RMR milling job.

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

AKDoug
10-18-22, 00:58
I have a friend that has killed a brown bear (9' squared), a mountain goat, Dall sheep and caribou with a 10mm. All were one shot kills. He is extremely patient and takes only shots he knows he can make. Personally, I've killed a black bear with a .45ACP and it did the job with one shot catching part of the heart and both lungs using a 230 grain Remington Golden Saber hollow point. I'd have zero issue hunting deer at close range with a 10mm.

robbins290
10-18-22, 09:09

Can confirm that is not true, I have personally hunted, shot and wounded deer with a 40 S&W and a 9mm. Granted they were less then 20 yards. But know the limits of what cartridge you are using. Hell, our state min caliber is a 22 MAG for white tails.