PDA

View Full Version : Chinese military optics

Slater
10-16-22, 10:55
Since China manufactures so many US optics, I would imagine that they have no shortage of features to pick and choose from for their military optics. Presumably they're ruggedized to some extent for military use. Wouldn't be surprised if some of them are made in the same factory as civilian optics. Has anyone heard any details about China's .mil optic technology?

https://i.imgur.com/Dud8FRVl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/5u4V7Xpl.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/E6xg8F2l.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/wJbgj4xl.jpg

Disciple
10-16-22, 11:40
The integrated mount is interesting.

lowprone
10-16-22, 12:21
They have a complete industry to steal from.

Slater
10-16-22, 12:26
They have a complete industry to steal from.

Think of the money they must be saving in R&D expenses.

SteyrAUG
10-16-22, 13:01
This is still China. There is profit motivation for their exports and even then the quality is a low as they can get away with.

When it comes to their own military, I'd be amazed if it wasn't ALL airsoft grade.

Coal Dragger
10-16-22, 13:55
Then there’s the issue of just what features the Chinese think are useful in the optic. There’s a lot of reticles out there in magnified optics that are frankly useless, but some non-shooter thinks they will work great in practical application.

We benefit from an active civilian side shooting sports culture that drives innovative solutions that tend to work. China, not so much.

gsd2053
10-16-22, 14:43
I know some hate people who buy Chinese optics.

However I have a primary arms 1x6 ACSS Predator on a Colt LE6920 and a Holosun 407K X2 on a P365XL daily carry. That have been excellent. I HIGHLY recommend either.

El Pistolero
10-16-22, 15:13
This is still China. There is profit motivation for their exports and even then the quality is a low as they can get away with.

When it comes to their own military, I'd be amazed if it wasn't ALL airsoft grade.

The iPhone is made in China and its quality is excellent. I have no doubt that when it’s for their own national security benefit they don’t cut so many corners.

Never underestimate your enemy.

C-grunt
10-16-22, 17:17
That rifle looks pretty cool.

Ive used a couple Holosun red dots over the last few years and they've been reliable for me. If I was taking a red dot back to Iraq Id choose an Aimpoint or Eotech over it, but truthfully it would probably work fine.

SteyrAUG
10-16-22, 18:10
The iPhone is made in China and its quality is excellent. I have no doubt that when it’s for their own national security benefit they don’t cut so many corners.

Never underestimate your enemy.

Talk to the UK soldiers about the shit they usually get issued.

Miami_JBT
10-17-22, 16:12

You have good, cheap, and fastI. You can only get two out of three. Typical consumer grade crap is cheap and faster made. But the ChiComs can and have made good stuff that isn't cheap.

Averageman
10-17-22, 16:56
There is nothing more sad than seeing cheap optics on a nice carbine.

gsd2053
10-17-22, 17:15
There is nothing more sad than seeing cheap optics on a nice carbine.

What do you consider cheap?

Averageman
10-17-22, 17:32
What do you consider cheap?

I may not be able to express what I think cheap is in words, but I know it when I see it.
If I were to make a rule of thumb it might be that any viable optic is going to run you 1/3 to 1/2 what you paid for the carbine.

utahjeepr
10-17-22, 17:57
Bear in mind that something on the order of 60% of PLA units don't have a single truck for transport. Optics aren't their biggest priority.

robbins290
10-18-22, 11:19
I may not be able to express what I think cheap is in words, but I know it when I see it.
If I were to make a rule of thumb it might be that any viable optic is going to run you 1/3 to 1/2 what you paid for the carbine.

So a vortex AMG holograhic optic for 279.99 on a windham weaponry src for 499.99 counts as a "none cheap optic?

And yes, I have that combo for backup hunting rifle.

Slater
10-18-22, 11:42
To generalize, a "cheap Chinese optic" in 2022 is probably better in overall quality than one from 20 years ago.

chuckman
10-18-22, 11:58
To generalize, a "cheap Chinese optic" in 2022 is probably better in overall quality than one from 20 years ago.

Absolutely. And it's not like there's a ton of proprietary components or secret sauce in most infantry optics. Plus they have a great ability to mass scale.

Averageman
10-18-22, 12:07
So a vortex AMG holograhic optic for 279.99 on a windham weaponry src for 499.99 counts as a "none cheap optic?

Good for me.
I would imagine if the carbine was 2K you'ld put something a little nicer on it.

Hank6046
10-18-22, 12:23

Don't the Vortex UH-1 Gen 2s run about $500? $280 is a steal, is it a Gen 1?

robbins290
10-18-22, 14:49
Don't the Vortex UH-1 Gen 2s run about $500? $280 is a steal, is it a Gen 1?

yes, gen 1. sportsmens outdoor super had a clearance on them for 279.99. I should have bought 2 or 3. Love them.

Hank6046
10-18-22, 14:53
yes, gen 1. sportsmens outdoor super had a clearance on them for 279.99. I should have bought 2 or 3. Love them.

I get it, Gander Mtn went out of business and I got an Aimpoint Pro for like $215, wish I would have really thrown more down on them and whatever else they had at the time. I will say that the Gen 2's are decent but still not quite as nice as EoTech's in glass and reticle clarity, however it seems more reliable than my old 512 and Xps2

robbins290
10-18-22, 14:57
I get it, Gander Mtn went out of business and I got an Aimpoint Pro for like $215, wish I would have really thrown more down on them and whatever else they had at the time. I will say that the Gen 2's are decent but still not quite as nice as EoTech's in glass and reticle clarity, however it seems more reliable than my old 512 and Xps2

I was going to get the EOtech as they are cheaper. But I saw that for the price. So I got it. I never researched what the changes were with the gen 2. I do know they took out the charging port.