PDA

View Full Version : Why has MAGPUL never offered a VFG?

Army Chief
12-24-08, 04:44
Nothing too profound here, gents -- just looking over the latest Magpul catalog online and it occured to me that they are making top-tier AR furniture in virtually every configuration imaginable, save for a proprietary VFG.

Granted, the anticipated market share might not be anything to wrote home about, given that there are already a number of excellent designs available from other vendors. That said, Magpul has a highly-developed skill for taking what's good and turning it into something even better, and there are a great many customers that would support such an offering, if for no other reason than just to compliment their existing CTRs and MIADs and PMAGs and such.

We've seen few, if any, new ideas here since the advent of the shortened grip, and surely there must be further room for improvement and/or innovation. No one can accuse the boys in Boulder of having a shortage of projects, of course, but this would seem to be an easy one for them to tackle. Have there been prototypes or plans articulated in the past, or is this just something that they haven't gotten around to (or perhaps seen the need for) yet?

Chief

Army Chief
12-24-08, 10:20
Kept going down the VFG path this afternoon, and this is where I ended up ...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=23811

Not saying there is any connection between these two threads, but I suppose there could be some potential for crossover under the right circumstances.

Chief

Sabre675
12-24-08, 13:49
Because Mark Larue has already perfected the VFG and it would be Blasphemous to do so.:D

BAC
12-24-08, 14:30
Between KAC, LaRue, and TangoDown, I think the only way to make another effective entry into that "market" is to introduce something either completely novel (the "wedge" idea or something similar) or something as good as the others but for under $50.

-B

decodeddiesel
12-24-08, 14:36
Between KAC, LaRue, and TangoDown, I think the only way to make another effective entry into that "market" is to introduce something either completely novel (the "wedge" idea or something similar) or something as good as the others but for under $50.

-B

Isn't the KAC priced at less than $50?

Well seeing how Magpul can crank out MOE pistol grips for $20 and make a profit I would imagine a VFG like the "wedge" or otherwise can't be much more than that.

hyrepower
12-24-08, 17:33
Because Larue already perfected it.

hyrepower
12-24-08, 17:33
I just noticed someone prior said the same thing, great minds think alike.

BAC
12-24-08, 17:37
Isn't the KAC priced at less than $50?

Well seeing how Magpul can crank out MOE pistol grips for $20 and make a profit I would imagine a VFG like the "wedge" or otherwise can't be much more than that.

Really? In recent memory I've only seen them on sale at Operation Parts, where they go for $75. Could be wrong, though.

-B

neodecker
12-24-08, 17:43
Id really like to know why I can buy 2 Magpul MIAD's for the cost of 1 VFG?

TehLlama
12-24-08, 20:21
I think MagPul may yet unveil MOE VFG (something durable, and modular like the FUG, but without the QD attachment, thus saving money)

Boomer10
12-24-08, 21:37
Really? In recent memory I've only seen them on sale at Operation Parts, where they go for $75. Could be wrong, though.

-B

I think you may be getting your thoughts mixed up. That site is selling the MOE pistol grips that decodeddiesel was referring to for $20. They are selling the KAC vert. grip that you mentioned for $75.

I wouldn't mind Magpul making a vert. grip. Even though I like to support companies from my home state (LaRue) I find it difficult to pay $80 for a vert. grip.

BAC
12-24-08, 22:22
I think you may be getting your thoughts mixed up. That site is selling the MOE pistol grips that decodeddiesel was referring to for $20. They are selling the KAC vert. grip that you mentioned for $75.

That's what I said. Decodeddiesel said he thought they sold for less than $50, so I posted the example price from Operations Parts.

-B

Boomer10
12-25-08, 00:01
That's what I said. Decodeddiesel said he thought they sold for less than $50, so I posted the example price from Operations Parts.

-B

Ooops, I missed that.:confused: Sorry BAC.

I'm man enough to admit my mistakes.:D

decodeddiesel
12-25-08, 13:28

-B

You're probably right. I haven't checked into the pricing recently on those.

LibertyCola
12-26-08, 00:28
Id really like to know why I can buy 2 Magpul MIAD's for the cost of 1 VFG?

I was pondering this fact yesterday, it makes no sense.