PDA

View Full Version : Why Some People Suck No Matter Where You Live...Reason #647

SteyrAUG
10-27-22, 01:15
So there is some local booger eater I've become aware of the last 3 years.

40 something, never accomplished anything meaningful that I'm aware of. Promotes himself as an exclusive dealer of quality German Sheppard's on the internet, local paper and advertisements on supermarket bulletin boards.

In reality he's on a "want to buy" list at the local animal shelter and every time they get one in he goes and buys it. They think he's some kind of awesome guy who has 8 rescue dogs at home. I know a girl who works there and when I was looking into a rescue GSD (two of mine passed away in the last few years) as a running partner for my Belgian she gave me his contact info.

A retired police officer friend of mine, who I always run names by before I do business with people I haven't met yet, gave me his basic "arrests for public intox, dui, possession of weed, possession of meth, breaking / entering and general flunkie" history.

His SOP seems to be get ANY GSD that the animal shelter takes in (costs less than $100) and then sell them for $600 - 800 with some variation of a BS story that goes "Dedicated owner had [insert some life changing event] and can't keep his prize dog, offering it for this excellent price just so we can get it to a good home, etc."

In reality, the dog lives in a fenced back yard, surviving on Walmart dog food that he pours in a kiddie pool once a week and he sorta fills a 5 gallon bucket with water that seems to get topped off every other day or so. It's a small town, I know one of his neighbors it turns out. There is usually one, sometimes two dogs in his possession at a time for the 2-3 months it takes to resell them. They have little to no human contact beyond some neighbor kids who pet them over the fence.

When he makes the sale, he meets people at a local park so they don't see the crap hole conditions they have been living under. I have heard that after he receives a "non refundable deposit" he takes them to the dog groomer to get them cleaned up.

Problem is there is nothing illegal about what he does, even the animal shelter can't enforce a "may not resell" rule even if they had one. Sometimes knowing the complete story, really sucks.

Also takes a lot of will power to not just go over there and tune him up, but he's apparently such a shithead that he would never comprehend why it's f'ed up to do what he's doing so he'd learn absolutely nothing from any level of ass beating. Thankfully he lives out by the highway a couple miles from me, if he was real local I think my will power would run out.

markm
10-27-22, 09:03
There are similar shit bags here in AZ. The run a Rottweiler Rescue, and they snatch up all the pound Rotties. They're junkies and use their so-called business to get drugs that they use themselves.

Effectively, you can't rescue a Rotti unless you're very proactive. And these drug addicts turn and sell them for the profit. I too would like to waste these shit stains.

Averageman
10-27-22, 13:26
Well, eventually one of these dogs will go bad.
In my opinion if your going to have a security dog like a German Shepard, Rottweiler or a Doberman in your family, you really want to bring them in to your family as a pup. I feel bad for them, but if you're getting a dog that was bred for a fight and was harmed or neglected, that dog will carry that from that day forward.
If you're taking a perhaps brain damaged, neglected and underfed dog in to your home, more power to you.

SteyrAUG
10-27-22, 13:45
In my opinion if your going to have a security dog like a German Shepard, Rottweiler or a Doberman in your family, you really want to bring them in to your family as a pup. I feel bad for them, but if you're getting a dog that was bred for a fight and was harmed or neglected, that dog will carry that from that day forward.
If you're taking a perhaps brain damaged, neglected and underfed dog in to your home, more power to you.

Nearly every dog I've ever had, 90% GSDs have been rescues, of course most of them were very young and still puppies. Also most came into a home with an existing mature GSD to follow as an example. Probably why it grinds my gears so hard.

Little kids and dogs, if you can't find some basic humanity for even them...you have none.

Miami_JBT
10-27-22, 15:40
So there is some local booger eater I've become aware of the last 3 years.

40 something, never accomplished anything meaningful that I'm aware of. Promotes himself as an exclusive dealer of quality German Sheppard's on the internet, local paper and advertisements on supermarket bulletin boards.

In reality he's on a "want to buy" list at the local animal shelter and every time they get one in he goes and buys it. They think he's some kind of awesome guy who has 8 rescue dogs at home. I know a girl who works there and when I was looking into a rescue GSD (two of mine passed away in the last few years) as a running partner for my Belgian she gave me his contact info.

A retired police officer friend of mine, who I always run names by before I do business with people I haven't met yet, gave me his basic "arrests for public intox, dui, possession of weed, possession of meth, breaking / entering and general flunkie" history.

His SOP seems to be get ANY GSD that the animal shelter takes in (costs less than $100) and then sell them for $600 - 800 with some variation of a BS story that goes "Dedicated owner had [insert some life changing event] and can't keep his prize dog, offering it for this excellent price just so we can get it to a good home, etc."

In reality, the dog lives in a fenced back yard, surviving on Walmart dog food that he pours in a kiddie pool once a week and he sorta fills a 5 gallon bucket with water that seems to get topped off every other day or so. It's a small town, I know one of his neighbors it turns out. There is usually one, sometimes two dogs in his possession at a time for the 2-3 months it takes to resell them. They have little to no human contact beyond some neighbor kids who pet them over the fence.

When he makes the sale, he meets people at a local park so they don't see the crap hole conditions they have been living under. I have heard that after he receives a "non refundable deposit" he takes them to the dog groomer to get them cleaned up.

Problem is there is nothing illegal about what he does, even the animal shelter can't enforce a "may not resell" rule even if they had one. Sometimes knowing the complete story, really sucks.

Also takes a lot of will power to not just go over there and tune him up, but he's apparently such a shithead that he would never comprehend why it's f'ed up to do what he's doing so he'd learn absolutely nothing from any level of ass beating. Thankfully he lives out by the highway a couple miles from me, if he was real local I think my will power would run out.

So he as adopted a business practice of going to the Dollar General, buying name brand products on the cheap, and flipping them on Ebay/Amazon for more. But with a popular main breed of dog.

Yeah, is he an ass for how he treats them. But if he wasn't a local oxygen thief and was mote well to do, would people still hate him?

I love my dogs, I consider them family. I can't stand folks that hurt dogs.

But as an industry, many people don't and that includes high scale commercial breeders too.

Dogs are a product to some, same as cattle, feeder rats, or stocking minnows for fish bait.

SteyrAUG
10-27-22, 15:49
So he as adopted a business practice of going to the Dollar General, buying name brand products on the cheap, and flipping them on Ebay/Amazon for more. But with a popular main breed of dog.

Yeah, is he an ass for how he treats them. But if he wasn't a local oxygen thief and was mote well to do, would people still hate him?

I love my dogs, I consider them family. I can't stand folks that hurt dogs.

But as an industry, many people don't and that includes high scale commercial breeders too.

Dogs are a product to some, same as cattle, feeder rats, or stocking minnows for fish bait.

Children are a product to some. If he was doing this with anything else I'd have zero problems. I'd almost prefer he sell meth.

When I was in So Florida there were of course hundreds of these scumbags so I should be used to it.

And yeah, even without his shitbag history, I'd still hate him for how he actually treats the dogs. In fact if he was a drug dealing f up, BUT was actually rescuing dogs, treating them well and sometimes helping them find a new home with good owners, he'd be due some respect from me.

Miami_JBT
10-27-22, 20:35
Children are a product to some. If he was doing this with anything else I'd have zero problems. I'd almost prefer he sell meth.

When I was in So Florida there were of course hundreds of these scumbags so I should be used to it.

And yeah, even without his shitbag history, I'd still hate him for how he actually treats the dogs. In fact if he was a drug dealing f up, BUT was actually rescuing dogs, treating them well and sometimes helping them find a new home with good owners, he'd be due some respect from me.

I get it, trust me, I do.

DG23
10-27-22, 21:14

I thought you had a recent arm surgery that you were still rehabbing for?

So you honestly think you will properly be able to handle a (new to you) GSD with one arm - No problemo?

What I got after reading all of your garbage was that:

1) You have never met this guy personally and have never went to his home personally. (If you did you would know exactly what brand of food instead of just referring to it as 'walmart food') Pretty much just speculating about the guy and how he cares for (or not) his dogs based on second hand next to nothing info from a supposed neighbor of his.

2) A background check on the guy? That is stalker level shit dude... How do you even know that info is for the correct person and accurate without some sort of ID anyway? Either way it sounds like a bunch of internet 'Karen' stalker garbage towards a guy you could have just as easily went and met in person.

3) Even after admitting the guy has not broken any laws, and admitting you have never personally 'met' him you still want to give him a 'tune up' because he 'might not be' caring for his dogs the way you have in your infinite wisdom decided and deemed to be 'acceptable'?

My advice for you:

Step away for your keyboard and go meet the guy for yourself before you draw conclusions. If something looks really wrong while you are there - Grow a pair and tell the guy to his face instead of whining about it to a bunch of guys on the internet. Give the guy that one armed 'tune up' and take some pictures after you are done so you can share them afterwards. Better yet, If stuff really looks that bad (after you see with your own eyes) talk to the shelter about it and give them your first hand report on the situation. You doing nothing but bitching about it here will change absolutely nothing there.

Those $100.00 rescue dogs usually end up costing a lot more than that $100.00 when all is said and done. Could be plenty of damn good reasons someone got rid of whatever particular dog... Most people don't throw 'good' dogs out. Damn good chance you will be buying a lot of problems down the road for that $100.00 when you could have just went to a reputable breeder (paid the regular price and bought a puppy) and started with a clean slate.

Good dogs do not always come cheap. If you can't afford it - save up until you can.

Would be in your (and the dog, and other people around you) best interest to also wait until you are fully recovered from your surgery before taking on a new dog. Especially a GSD... Personally, If I were the rescue or the breeder and essentially a one armed guy came in looking for a dog like that - I would send him elsewhere or tell him to come back after he had recovered completely. That one armed old man would get the same exact speech a young kid that could most likely NOT be able to properly handle the dog would get and that speech would be followed with a big 'Sorry, I can't help you with that'.

Last bit of advice before I shut up for a bit -

There will always be lots of people that do not 'care' for their dogs the same way you do. If they are not breaking any laws either shut up and move along or get out there and participate / do your part to try to get new laws / ordinances passed that better conform to what YOU believe is right.

Example: We had a small group of people here locally recently that had 'problems' with our local ordinances with respect to things like exotic animals and the numbers of what were 'allowed' to be owned by local residents. (people trying to say we should not be 'allowed' to have more than 'X' number of dogs / cats and that we should not be 'allowed' to own anything other than what they deemed were the 'allowed to be possessed / owned' animals)

Fortunately there were a lot more people there at those council meetings speaking FOR our rights as property owners than there were people trying to limit our rights and that shit got shut down about as soon as it got started. There is no limit to how many dogs (or cats) I can own so long as I can follow the laws that we already had on the books with respect to caring / providing for them and me not disturbing my neighbors and keeping my crap under control on my property at all times. If I want to own a 15' long snake (or 5 of them) or an alligator and walk it around my property whenever I feel like it - I can, and there is not jack shit any neighbor can do about it so long as I am not breaking any laws we already have.

SteyrAUG
10-28-22, 00:31
I thought you had a recent arm surgery that you were still rehabbing for?

So you honestly think you will properly be able to handle a (new to you) GSD with one arm - No problemo?

I thought about it a year ago when my second dog passed away. Absolutely no way I could take on a puppy right now. The only thing very recent is a complete understanding of this guy. I've had a lot of time to sit on my ass and look at the internet.

What I got after reading all of your garbage was that:

1) You have never met this guy personally and have never went to his home personally. (If you did you would know exactly what brand of food instead of just referring to it as 'walmart food') Pretty much just speculating about the guy and how he cares for (or not) his dogs based on second hand next to nothing info from a supposed neighbor of his.

2) A background check on the guy? That is stalker level shit dude... How do you even know that info is for the correct person and accurate without some sort of ID anyway? Either way it sounds like a bunch of internet 'Karen' stalker garbage towards a guy you could have just as easily went and met in person.

3) Even after admitting the guy has not broken any laws, and admitting you have never personally 'met' him you still want to give him a 'tune up' because he 'might not be' caring for his dogs the way you have in your infinite wisdom decided and deemed to be 'acceptable'?

My advice for you:

Step away for your keyboard and go meet the guy for yourself before you draw conclusions. If something looks really wrong while you are there - Grow a pair and tell the guy to his face instead of whining about it to a bunch of guys on the internet. Give the guy that one armed 'tune up' and take some pictures after you are done so you can share them afterwards. Better yet, If stuff really looks that bad (after you see with your own eyes) talk to the shelter about it and give them your first hand report on the situation. You doing nothing but bitching about it here will change absolutely nothing there.

Those $100.00 rescue dogs usually end up costing a lot more than that $100.00 when all is said and done. Could be plenty of damn good reasons someone got rid of whatever particular dog... Most people don't throw 'good' dogs out. Damn good chance you will be buying a lot of problems down the road for that $100.00 when you could have just went to a reputable breeder (paid the regular price and bought a puppy) and started with a clean slate.

Good dogs do not always come cheap. If you can't afford it - save up until you can.

Would be in your (and the dog, and other people around you) best interest to also wait until you are fully recovered from your surgery before taking on a new dog. Especially a GSD... Personally, If I were the rescue or the breeder and essentially a one armed guy came in looking for a dog like that - I would send him elsewhere or tell him to come back after he had recovered completely. That one armed old man would get the same exact speech a young kid that could most likely NOT be able to properly handle the dog would get and that speech would be followed with a big 'Sorry, I can't help you with that'.

Last bit of advice before I shut up for a bit -

There will always be lots of people that do not 'care' for their dogs the same way you do. If they are not breaking any laws either shut up and move along or get out there and participate / do your part to try to get new laws / ordinances passed that better conform to what YOU believe is right.

Example: We had a small group of people here locally recently that had 'problems' with our local ordinances with respect to things like exotic animals and the numbers of what were 'allowed' to be owned by local residents. (people trying to say we should not be 'allowed' to have more than 'X' number of dogs / cats and that we should not be 'allowed' to own anything other than what they deemed were the 'allowed to be possessed / owned' animals)

Fortunately there were a lot more people there at those council meetings speaking FOR our rights as property owners than there were people trying to limit our rights and that shit got shut down about as soon as it got started. There is no limit to how many dogs (or cats) I can own so long as I can follow the laws that we already had on the books with respect to caring / providing for them and me not disturbing my neighbors and keeping my crap under control on my property at all times. If I want to own a 15' long snake (or 5 of them) or an alligator and walk it around my property whenever I feel like it - I can, and there is not jack shit any neighbor can do about it so long as I am not breaking any laws we already have.

1. Again, know some of his neighbors. I could probably find out what kind of brake fluid he puts in his car if I was inclined. His neighbors aren't excited with this guy either and they are the ones who see what he does.

2. My buddies who are current or former LE can't run a background check for me even if I wanted them to. But if I'm getting ready to hire a plumber I can ask them "Do you know a "Joe Bumble****" and if they don't know the name it's probably safe to do business but if they go "Oh yeah, we used to arrest him all the time for X, Y and Z" then I probably need to get a new recommend for a plumber. At the time I asked I knew almost nothing about this guy and was still considering buying a dog from him. I thought he was a professional trainer who worked with rescues because that is among his FB page claims.

3. So I don't have video evidence but I trust the word of people I've known for 30 plus years, especially if they are in a LE capacity. When in the past (when I used to live in Ft Lauderdale) I used to get personal with some of the local drug dealers, I didn't actually build a case where I personally bought drugs from them before acting on it. You trust your sources when you have reliable sources. In this case I have more than 10 people I know very well all telling me pretty much the same story.

Also I've found rescue dogs, if they are young enough, to always work out exceptionally well because I'm able to put in the time to train them. All my life I've done rescue dogs, not to save a nickel, but to rescue a dog. Most breeders aren't going to start euthanizing their stock, rescue dogs are on a countdown so if I can find what I'm looking for and save a dog, that's what I'd prefer.

In THIS instance, since the animal shelter couldn't seem to hang on to my preferred breeds for more than a day, I was prepared to pay $600 - 800 to get what I thought would be a trained rescue dog from this guy until I looked into him a little bit more and learned a few things.

As for the rest, given how you somehow managed to reinterpret or misunderstand everything I've said so far, I'm not gonna try and respond to your advice which is all based on a fundamental misunderstanding of everything I've wrote. I bet if you reread it in light of the above corrections you'd have different advice anyway.

.45fan
10-28-22, 15:24
If you're taking a perhaps brain damaged, neglected and underfed dog in to your home, more power to you.I agree with this.

We had pits growing up, my old man liked them.

Since I've been married we have had dobermans. We had one that we paid for security training. She passed last year but we haven't replaced her due to getting older and having health issues, but if we do get another it will be done the same way.
Pick the dog you want at 4 to 5 weeks old, then take them home at 8 weeks.
Train the dog from the day you get them home (or hire a trainer) and call it done.

DG23
10-29-22, 13:39
Also I've found rescue dogs, if they are young enough, to always work out exceptionally well because I'm able to put in the time to train them. All my life I've done rescue dogs, not to save a nickel, but to rescue a dog. Most breeders aren't going to start euthanizing their stock, rescue dogs are on a countdown so if I can find what I'm looking for and save a dog, that's what I'd prefer.

In THIS instance, since the animal shelter couldn't seem to hang on to my preferred breeds for more than a day, I was prepared to pay $600 - 800 to get what I thought would be a trained rescue dog from this guy until I looked into him a little bit more and learned a few things.

As for the rest, given how you somehow managed to reinterpret or misunderstand everything I've said so far, I'm not gonna try and respond to your advice which is all based on a fundamental misunderstanding of everything I've wrote. I bet if you reread it in light of the above corrections you'd have different advice anyway.

You try telling the actual animal shelter that you were willing to pay that much for a rescue?

If you had they would have certainly moved you to the very top of any list they had. Especially if you had explained the situation to them and told them that you would prefer for them to have the money instead of...

The 'trained', rescue dog crap was funny. People are not very likely to toss 'trained' dogs that do well in their homes into a rescue. The majority of the time they are dumping dogs with serious problems.

SteyrAUG
10-29-22, 15:18
You try telling the actual animal shelter that you were willing to pay that much for a rescue?

If you had they would have certainly moved you to the very top of any list they had. Especially if you had explained the situation to them and told them that you would prefer for them to have the money instead of...

No because like I said, at the time (about a year ago) I was only looking for ONE dog and wasn't gonna try and outbid somebody who seemed to be buying 8 a year for purposes of training them and even keeping them as personal dogs.

The 'trained', rescue dog crap was funny. People are not very likely to toss 'trained' dogs that do well in their homes into a rescue. The majority of the time they are dumping dogs with serious problems.

Somehow you are misreading almost everything. The premise of the guys business is that he gets rescue dogs and then HE professionally trains them for months at a time and then resells them.

OutofBatt3ry
10-30-22, 20:04
When I wanted a *insert valuable breed here* (not Pits), I queried at least a 1/2 a dozen "breeders" though Faceballs market, Craigslast, etc. They were as you described, too keep it short, likely meth and/or other drug addicts...most I assume, inherited their home from a relative or were renting.

I bought a beagle-ish mutt from the pound for $40 instead. Best dog I ever had.

SteyrAUG
10-30-22, 20:20

At the time, I didn't know the situation. At the time I was looking into actually buying one of this guys dogs because I was still under the impression that he was a qualified dog trainer. I've been kept pretty busy with the shoulder injury so I haven't had time to go out to the animal shelter and think about bringing them up to speed on the situation. Also it's going to be at least a year before I can responsibly think about getting another dog.

Somehow you are still not following along. This guy presents himself as someone who gets rescue dogs and then he trains them and he presents himself as a competent dog trainer, neither of which are true.

Ed L.
10-30-22, 21:37
I don't see anything wrong with the way Steyr checking on the reputation of someone whom he might be dealing with--especially someone who he might be getting a dog from who is going to charge him money.

Buncheong
11-02-22, 23:23
About every other day or so I read things like this and it occurs to me that things are so much worse then I previously knew.