PDA

View Full Version : When to start kids lifting weights?

VIP3R 237
10-27-22, 15:45
Hey guys, I have an almost 10 year old who just finished up his season on the competitive league and wants to get serious about getting stronger and faster for football next year. Obviously I don’t want to cause long-term damage or stunt his growth at all, but I’ve read that it’s safe for kids as young as 8 to start doing high rep low weight training. I’m wondering if that’s a smart route to go or if we should focus on more bodyweight exercises?

Thanks in advance.

SteyrAUG
10-27-22, 15:59
When their physical development is at that place where it helps rather than hurts them, it's not a number of years.

And yes, high reps of low weight is generally the formula. Ideally you want a very experienced coach to supervise everything from the beginning. Most places have lots of personal trainers, find one who specializes in child development.

In general I have found wrestling coaches to be better development coaches than those who are football coaches. I think it's due to higher risk of injury associated with weight programs for wrestling.

My best advice, get a chair and sit and listen to everything he is being taught, that way YOU also know this stuff too and you can help him with his workouts. Don't interrupt, save questions, comments and concerns for after (unless of course it's something serious and you are certain they are doing it wrong).

Also a good excuse to not leave your kid alone in a room with another adult you aren't 100% about yet.

chuckman
10-27-22, 16:40
I'd ask Will Brink. He's the SME on stuff like this.

10-27-22, 18:26
I seen a couple of kids under 10 do powerlifting and they can safely build muscle and strength at that age.

Watch their form and make sure they get plenty of good food and recovery time.

czgunner
10-27-22, 19:18
I make my 4th grader do pushups every day....

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Coal Dragger
10-27-22, 19:52
I’ve heard and read that weight training for kids shouldn’t stunt their growth, unless the stress being put on them is so severe they can’t recover properly.

Like female gymnasts who get delayed puberty etc. Wrestlers probably used to get some stunted growth too back when kids were being forced to cut weight to hit a weight class. Either case like that is just child abuse.

Assuming you don’t plan to put the kid into a training program like that, it comes down to coaching form (particularly controlling eccentric motion in a lift like the squat), nutrition, and getting enough recovery time/good sleep. As long as he’s mature enough to master the movement patterns of the various lifts, stick to eating foods that hit nutritional needs, and get enough sleep…. and keep doing it consistently he’ll be fine. Plus you’ll have a workout buddy!

Stress + Recovery (both applied consistently and correctly) = adaptation.

militarymoron
10-27-22, 20:21
My son is 14 and only started lifting weights this year. Up until then it was all bodyweight exercises (chinups, pushups, leg raises etc). He also does sprints, hill sprints, plyometrics. He's a competitive rock climber so there are also sport-specific exercises that he does.

FromMyColdDeadHand
10-27-22, 22:00
Play depends as much on their hitting puberty and getting the testosterone. They need to build muscles. Frankly, if that age ugly, working more on hand eye coordination, and body kinesthetics.

SteyrAUG
10-28-22, 00:13
My son is 14 and only started lifting weights this year. Up until then it was all bodyweight exercises (chinups, pushups, leg raises etc). He also does sprints, hill sprints, plyometrics. He's a competitive rock climber so there are also sport-specific exercises that he does.

That is probably the best intro program.

Averageman
10-28-22, 01:07

Excellant program.

WillBrink
10-28-22, 10:03
Any age they want to start is the right age, it does not stunt growth, etc, and an excellent guide from the ground up to assure they are starting off correctly and avoiding training scars is via Rippetoe:

https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738/

everready73
10-28-22, 12:59
Any age they want to start is the right age, it does not stunt growth, etc, and an excellent guide from the ground up to assure they are starting off correctly and avoiding training scars is via Rippetoe:

https://www.amazon.com/Starting-Strength-Basic-Barbell-Training/dp/0982522738/

This. When i was younger (42 now) we were told it would stunt growth if started too early. I have done a decent amount of research into this as my 6 year old has recently started sports and was interested in lifting like his dad. Proper technique and safety is #1

We don't do weights with him at this time and focus on pushups, pullups, floor shoulder presses (upside down with his feet on wall for balance. We also have a couple local parks with little ninja type courses that seem really beneficial for core strength (incline monkey bars, etc). We also hit up the trampoline park frequently to do the ninja course and other obstacles. I limit volume to 1-2 sets so he isnt overtraining on the body weight stuff

He is a very solid 55 lbs at 4' tall. This is something he wants to do, i dont force it all and was very beneficial during soccer this past fall

JediGuy
10-28-22, 22:23
It depends more on the care taken with movements and programming than a specific age.

Personally, I’m already emphasizing body weight (squats, push-ups, negative pull-ups, planks, etc), started that since maybe 2 years old. There’s so many ways to improve spatial awareness while gaining flexibility and strength. Make it fun. Being able to roll easily is probably more important than a handstand, but kids like the challenge of both.

https://stevenlow.org/overcoming-gravity/

If they want to move weights I’ll start them on it. Will already linked the bible.

Interestingly enough considering previous comments, the person who introduced me to Starting Strength is a CrossFit gym owner who trained his son as a wrestler.

militarymoron
10-29-22, 00:09
Any age they want to start is the right age, it does not stunt growth, etc,

I remember hearing the myth about weights stunting growth when I was a kid. I'd also hear the term 'muscle bound'. Lots of mis-information and old wives' tales over the years. The main reason my son only started to do weights when he turned 14 was that it was the minimum age allowed in the weight training area at our rock climbing gym. I have some dumbells at home, and started him on those a couple of years ago focusing mostly on form. But he didn't have as much interest as he does now, since he's going through puberty and able to develop some muscle.

WillieThom
10-29-22, 15:11

This is what I think would be beneficial at that age, along with other sport-specific drills.