PDA

View Full Version : Musk officially owns Twitter, fires top executives. What does this mean for Trump?

Miami_JBT
10-28-22, 06:49
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/10/27/twitter-elon-musk

Large piles of money changed hands and Elon Musk now officially owns Twitter. He went in and fired top senior leadership, including those that banned Trump.

I'm curious about this for two reasons.

1. Elon said that Twitter is a digital public square and free speech needs to be fully respected. (Ie, banning Trump is a no go.) And that he basically said Trump will be reinstated.

2. Trump formed Truth Social as a conservative rival to Twitter. It has been an absolute nightmare. It's launch was a failure, it is rife with multiple financial issues, it is hemorrhaging money, there is possible violations of the law, etc.... basically, it is a raging dumpster fire of fail.

I think this is the final nail in the coffin for Truth Social and I think if Trump is reinstated, he'll dump Truth Social faster than he dumped his January 6 supporters.

As for Twitter itself, things are going to get very interesting now, especially with the election.

robbins290
10-28-22, 07:16
I saw this on the news this morning, They were bitching about spreading false information and how its going to affect the elections and they need truth tellers and all that BS. Sounds like they only like freedom of speech for them.

I dont like trump, but I hope he gets on and picks up where he left off.

Miami_JBT
10-28-22, 07:32
I saw this on the news this morning, They were bitching about spreading false information and how its going to affect the elections and they need truth tellers and all that BS. Sounds like they only like freedom of speech for them.

I dont like trump, but I hope he gets on and picks up where he left off.

I hope he gets his account back. Because even if he randomly bloviates, Twitter is the 21st Century version of the public square. He should be able to.

As for Truth Social, I think it is officially dead now because of this. I'm curious was the fallout will be. I know there are rumblings from the SEC about a possible investigation, especially after Co-founder of Truth Social, Will Wilkerson spilled the beans about the quagmire that the company/platform is. Including the fact that Truth Social bans accounts too.

I think Trump will abandon it quicker than his January 6 supporters if his account is unblocked.

As for how it will now sway elections, freedom is a good thing and the former leadership running Twitter understood that Twitter was a valuable tool to sway the masses and control/shape public opinion by shaping the public narrative.

Well, they lost that and they know it.

SteyrAUG
10-28-22, 14:11
I think Trump just got baited.

For the Dems to survive they need Trump posting all of his thoughts on Twitter so they can attack them as if they were proposed legislation or policy.

tn1911
10-28-22, 14:53
Trump posting all of his thoughts on Twitter so they can attack them as if they were proposed legislation or policy.

You gotta hand it to trump, he’s living proof you can shitpost your way into the presidency!

markm
10-28-22, 15:02
You gotta hand it to trump, he’s living proof you can shitpost your way into the presidency!

People are so disgusted with the lunatic left, that they'll applaud almost anything Trump might say.

gsd2053
10-28-22, 15:09
I hope he gets his account back. Because even if he randomly bloviates, Twitter is the 21st Century version of the public square. He should be able to.

As for Truth Social, I think it is officially dead now because of this. I'm curious was the fallout will be. I know there are rumblings from the SEC about a possible investigation, especially after Co-founder of Truth Social, Will Wilkerson spilled the beans about the quagmire that the company/platform is. Including the fact that Truth Social bans accounts too.

I think Trump will abandon it quicker than his January 6 supporters if his account is unblocked.

As for how it will now sway elections, freedom is a good thing and the former leadership running Twitter understood that Twitter was a valuable tool to sway the masses and control/shape public opinion by shaping the public narrative.

Well, they lost that and they know it.

I guarantee Trump will pardon all non violent 1-6th protesters if he is reelected.

tn1911
10-28-22, 17:13
Elon Musk says no banned Twitter accounts will be restored before a review by new "content moderation council"

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/elon-musk-banned-twitter-accounts-restored-review-content-92300289

Looks like trump might not be 100% back online yet...

Miami_JBT
10-28-22, 18:04

2016 was a perfect storm. Conservatives were tired of the Establishment Republicans, especially after the GOP took over and dismantled the TEA Party and TEA Party candidates like Marco Rubio turned out to be Establishment Republicans. Plus, you had Hillary Clinton as the presumptive Democrat candidate from the start.

Trump came in and had no record of being a politician and for the politically apathetic no educated voter. He was perfect since he had no political record to be judged on in terms of other candidates that have been in office.

Trump won 2016 because a lot of people voted against Clinton and the Establishment, not because they liked Trump.

Miami_JBT
10-28-22, 18:05
I guarantee Trump will pardon all non violent 1-6th protesters if he is reelected.

Why? He could have pardoned them back when he was President and didn't. Instead, on January 7, he said throw the book at them and left them to rot.

markm
11-30-22, 12:14
Reports are that Twitter's advertising revenues are dropping. You'd think that people would flock to a non-left wing controlled platform and that the dollars would naturally follow too.

Being a straight, grown male, I know nothing about how Twitter works. But there seems to be a lot of hysterics surrounding a large platform that might not toe the nutbag liberal line.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-30-22, 12:37
Reports are that Twitter's advertising revenues are dropping. You'd think that people would flock to a non-left wing controlled platform and that the dollars would naturally follow too.

Being a straight, grown male, I know nothing about how Twitter works. But there seems to be a lot of hysterics surrounding a large platform that might not toe the nutbag liberal line.

It seems like all of tech is facing a real crisis right now in valuation and revenue. I think picking on Twitter is just people wanting to pick on musk.

utahjeepr
11-30-22, 12:49
I know zip zero about Twitter, never been a user. I see reports that they are adding millions of users, up to 2 mil a day. Assuming this is growth vs just replacing those who have abandoned the platform you would think advertisers would want to market to these folks.

But, number of users does not equal traffic necessarily. Marketing metrics are complicated especially on the web. Even more so when political ideology and virtue signaling become decision drivers.

markm
11-30-22, 12:59
I think picking on Twitter is just people wanting to pick on musk.

Good point. I'd guess that there's some sliver of truth to the way the whacked out media is portraying him.

glocktogo
11-30-22, 21:00
You have to remember that Twitter was THE place for companies who value ESG scores to advertise. Once Musk had his “conscious uncoupling” from the woke leftist hive mind, his dropped like a stone. Now that he owns Twitter, those woke companies are fleeing Twitter.

But with bots being killed off, Jabberwokies moving to Mastodon and millions of new, real accounts being opened on Twitter, there’s a vacuum being left behind that new advertisers can fill. Musk will either turn Twitter around, or kill it for the good of society and move on to his next project. Visionaries rarely stand still.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/elon-musk-rips-environmental-social-governance-scores-devil