PDA

View Full Version : New European fighter jet: AI assisted pilot?

Slater
10-28-22, 12:15
Knowing how things get canceled over there, this may never see the light of day. But it's an interesting concept.

"The Tempest jet is being developed by the UK's BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce, European missiles group, MBDA and Italy's Leonardo.

One feature will be an artificial intelligence (AI) tool to assist the human pilot when they are overwhelmed, or under extreme stress.

Sensors in the pilot's helmet will monitor brain signals and other medical data. So, over successive flights the AI will amass a huge biometric and psychometric information database.

This library of the pilot's unique characteristics means the on-board AI will be able to step-in and assist if the sensors indicate they may need help.

For example, the AI could take over if the pilot loses consciousness due to high gravity forces."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62289737

BWT
10-28-22, 12:32
Knowing how things get canceled over there, this may never see the light of day. But it's an interesting concept.

"The Tempest jet is being developed by the UK's BAE Systems, Rolls-Royce, European missiles group, MBDA and Italy's Leonardo.

One feature will be an artificial intelligence (AI) tool to assist the human pilot when they are overwhelmed, or under extreme stress.

Sensors in the pilot's helmet will monitor brain signals and other medical data. So, over successive flights the AI will amass a huge biometric and psychometric information database.

This library of the pilot's unique characteristics means the on-board AI will be able to step-in and assist if the sensors indicate they may need help.

For example, the AI could take over if the pilot loses consciousness due to high gravity forces."

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-62289737

Now they just need to call it R2-D2.

Where’s my laser sword son.

God Bless,

Brandon

WillBrink
10-28-22, 13:22
Just a matter of time until they are AI autonomous as the flesh bag in the plane is now the weak link to performance. When some autonomous craft can pull G's that would crush a human, it's game over for human flight. I see fighter jets with humans in them with a group of semi autonomous combat drones working as team in the near future. Legit fully autonomous combat drone are a ways off. Likely need a human brain to make the decisions as to friend or foe, when and how to initiate the attack and so forth. Meanwhile, stealth drones could fly forward and send all kinds of useful info back to the leader fighter jet with human in it to give a view of the potential battle space that be new level of threat awareness.

Adrenaline_6
10-28-22, 13:41
Reminds me of a Dale Brown book - Day of the Cheetah.

The pilot went into Alpha wave state and synced with the on board flight computer. Options were fed to the pilot real-time instantaneously and took over if not reacted to on time for survivability. Moveable airframe aero controlled by thought to maximize performance in all situations.

Pretty cool - until a spy stole it. To beat it, the "wily" old fighter pilot put the stolen aircraft and pilot in a situation where the airframe would survive the rescue maneuver, but the pilot would not.

Disciple
10-28-22, 14:16
Just a matter of time until they are AI autonomous as the flesh bag in the plane is now the weak link to performance. When some autonomous craft can pull G's that would crush a human, it's game over for human flight. I see fighter jets with humans in them with a group of semi autonomous combat drones working as team in the near future. Legit fully autonomous combat drone are a ways off. Likely need a human brain to make the decisions as to friend or foe, when and how to initiate the attack and so forth. Meanwhile, stealth drones could fly forward and send all kinds of useful info back to the leader fighter jet with human in it to give a view of the potential battle space that be new level of threat awareness.

Kelly Johnson, More Than My Share of It All, 1985.

It may seem traitorous from an aircraft designer, but I see a
diminished role for the manned military aircraft and more reliance on
remotely piloted vehicles and missiles. When you can put 20Gs of
maneuverability in a missile while a man can pull only 9Gs at most—
nine times the gravity of his own weight; when you can provide a
missile with the search capability to find its target; and when
television and other relay links from a high-flying U-2 or space
satellite can give rapid readout in real time to a man at controls in
Washington, why send a man over enemy territory at all?

If we do use manned fighters and bombers against ground targets
they darned well better be invisible at any flight altitude because of
vulnerability to ground-to-air missiles as well as other fighter aircraft.

sgtrock82
10-28-22, 15:33
I guess they can just start dumping whatever woke idiot that identifies as a military pilot in the seat now. No need for all the big headed learning stuff that the white patriarchy put in the way of all the naturally talented fighter pilots of diverse backgrounds and genders.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
10-28-22, 17:50
Advanced photos are pretty cool.

https://i.imgur.com/5vW1yK2.jpg

Russia is claiming it's stolen tech.

flenna
10-28-22, 18:52
Advanced photos are pretty cool.

https://i.imgur.com/5vW1yK2.jpg

Russia is claiming it's stolen tech.

Spy photo close up of the pilot.

The_War_Wagon
10-28-22, 20:14
Spy photo close up of the pilot.

My thought exactly when I saw the plane - so with onboard AI, can it draw a sky penis on autopilot?

qsy
10-28-22, 21:08
I'll start worrying about it when Tesla's quit trying to drive under trucks.