PDA

View Full Version : SCORE - But … don’t let this happen to you!

Lefty223
10-29-22, 08:24
In FL on vacation, traveling with friends, and went to a Yard Sale here, where some lady must have been selling off her late husband’s toys. I got a big black plastic container FULL of gun accessories, 99% of it is still in the package and is NEW !!!

Hours later, when finally at our destination for the week, I sorted through everything and wrote down the things that I can see as new or are marked … and so far it appears it ALL was worth well OVER > $1,000 or more!

And I paid only $20 for it, where it marked $25 and she was the one who offered the lower price! She even gave me the big container box too!

-Peltor tactical sport electronic shooting muffs, $225
-Peltor tactical7 classic electronic shooting muffs, $110
-Surefire Z2 LED combatlights, $??, but I see them used on eBay from $125 to $185, Qty 3 (1 is used)
-Beretta tactical shooting gloves, $65
-Blackhawk tactical assault leather kevlar gloves, $40
-Blackhawk tactical assault knee pads, $35
-Blackhawk tactical assault cheek pad, $25
-Blackhawk tactical assault elbow pads, $20
-Blackhawk tactical assault universal sling, $10, Qty 3
-Magpul rail panel covers, $12, Qty 5 packs
-Magpul mag pullers (?) [go on bottom of mags], $?, Qty 3 packs
-S&W J-Frame wood round-butt grips, $50+, look new & unused
-Advanced technology AR-15 magazine dust covers, $12, Qty 2 packs
-Ruger LCR Revolver tactical rubber grips, $40
-Brownells AR-15 Delta ring tool, $25
-Brownells SS dental pick set, $20
-Silicone gun socks, $7, Qty 5
-Nylon in-waistband holsters, one used, Qty 5
-Gun trigger locks, $10, Qty 13
-Misc Glock 17 parts from Pearce, all new, $70 total as marked
-Tactical aluminum key chains/kubotan, $15 or more?, Qty 3
-Other misc. AR stuff, like those Sinclair links between upper/lower when cleaning
- … and PILES of misc Gun stuff including gun springs, new Adco and other unmarked brand mag loaders for many other guns, like dbl-stacked 9mms or Ruger 10/22s.

WOO HOO!

Diamondback
10-29-22, 09:36
This is why some of us on various collectibles sites, particularly wargaming, tend to establish advance directives about "contact the guys at Suchandsuch Forum, they'll help you figure out how to get the best recovery." An idea worth considering for us here too...

Straight Shooter
10-29-22, 11:07
Just..damn. Thats awesome.

SteyrAUG
10-29-22, 15:57
Still not even close to the worst I've ever heard.

FFL / SOT with a huge NFA inventory died, wife called ATF and said "just come get everything."

All of his buddies tried to explain it to her, offered to broker them on her behalf for FREE. She understood it was a closed registry and she would be forever denying these examples to everyone for all time, but she resented her husband and he loved guns so she hated them. She willingly gave away more than a million dollars worth of transferable and pre may dealer sample firearms just to spite her dead husband.

There were even a handful of guys trying to buy the entire collection outright so it wouldn't be a huge paperwork hassle.

Then a few years later J Curtis Earl died and rather than allow his collection to be broken up he created a memorial exhibit. So that is another pile of transferables on the NFA registry that will be forever unavailable.

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-29-22, 17:54
In FL on vacation, traveling with friends, and went to a Yard Sale here, where some lady must have been selling off her late husband’s toys. I got a big black plastic container FULL of gun accessories, 99% of it is still in the package and is NEW !!!

Hours later, when finally at our destination for the week, I sorted through everything and wrote down the things that I can see as new or are marked … and so far it appears it ALL was worth well OVER > $1,000 or more!

And I paid only $20 for it, where it marked $25 and she was the one who offered the lower price! She even gave me the big container box too!

-Peltor tactical sport electronic shooting muffs, $225
-Peltor tactical7 classic electronic shooting muffs, $110
-Surefire Z2 LED combatlights, $??, but I see them used on eBay from $125 to $185, Qty 3 (1 is used)
-Beretta tactical shooting gloves, $65
-Blackhawk tactical assault leather kevlar gloves, $40
-Blackhawk tactical assault knee pads, $35
-Blackhawk tactical assault cheek pad, $25
-Blackhawk tactical assault elbow pads, $20
-Blackhawk tactical assault universal sling, $10, Qty 3
-Magpul rail panel covers, $12, Qty 5 packs
-Magpul mag pullers (?) [go on bottom of mags], $?, Qty 3 packs
-S&W J-Frame wood round-butt grips, $50+, look new & unused
-Advanced technology AR-15 magazine dust covers, $12, Qty 2 packs
-Ruger LCR Revolver tactical rubber grips, $40
-Brownells AR-15 Delta ring tool, $25
-Brownells SS dental pick set, $20
-Silicone gun socks, $7, Qty 5
-Nylon in-waistband holsters, one used, Qty 5
-Gun trigger locks, $10, Qty 13
-Misc Glock 17 parts from Pearce, all new, $70 total as marked
-Tactical aluminum key chains/kubotan, $15 or more?, Qty 3
-Other misc. AR stuff, like those Sinclair links between upper/lower when cleaning
- … and PILES of misc Gun stuff including gun springs, new Adco and other unmarked brand mag loaders for many other guns, like dbl-stacked 9mms or Ruger 10/22s.

WOO HOO!

Sounds like a big box of junk for the most part. We all have that box of gun crap that we cant sell because it would cost more to ship than sell, so we throw it in the box. I wouldn't mind a bit if my wife sold it for $20 after I go to clean out space.

SteyrAUG
10-29-22, 18:58
Sounds like a big box of junk for the most part. We all have that box of gun crap that we cant sell because it would cost more to ship than sell, so we throw it in the box. I wouldn't mind a bit if my wife sold it for $20 after I go to clean out space.

Some of us might have 6 boxes.

Lefty223
10-30-22, 07:37
Yeah … you’re right LowSpeed_HighDrag … SureFire LED Combatlights are junk … 3 of them aren’t worth $20 …

LowSpeed_HighDrag
10-30-22, 08:41
Yeah … you’re right LowSpeed_HighDrag … SureFire LED Combatlights are junk … 3 of them aren’t worth $20 …

Yes, they are junk. This isn’t 2008.

Sweet find, but don’t get butt hurt that you found out you bought a man’s junk drawer.

Miami_JBT
10-30-22, 09:41
You bought an odds and ends box of goodies that can be useful. The Surefires aren't cutting edge anymore. But they're good lights to have around the house.

The rest of the knickknacks, depends. I have a pile of J-Frames, so the grips can be useful. Some of the other stuff is useful too.

The end result is this, things have value to those that need it. Not what someone simply says it is worth. For $20, I'd go through the box, keep what I think is useful, and chuck the rest into the trash.

Yes, you can resale it, but is the time and effort worth whatever you'd make?

I see this happening outside of guns too.

Parents or grandparents pass away, kids inherit stuff that the deceased thought we're worth something. But the kids (and market) sees no value in it and off to the dump it goes.

Antique furniture and ovelty plates get junked while jewelry is smelted for its gold value (and the stones are nearly worthless). Other trinkets are simply thrown away or sold for pennies on the dollar.

It is a fact of life.

pinzgauer
10-30-22, 10:22
Try dealing with aged parents and their treasured "silver". The stuff they used to keep hidden away and had specific disposition for in their wills sometime.

Half the time you find out it's silver plate and worthless.

And if it's real silver, most of the time it's worth only the junk silver value. (For sure if it's monogrammed)

Crystal is similar unless very high end and not monogramed.

I've seen some stainless flatware go for more than what silver service sold for as it still had utility.

chuckman
10-30-22, 14:22
Yes, they are junk. This isn’t 2008.

Sweet find, but don’t get butt hurt that you found out you bought a man’s junk drawer.

Lol. "Junk". Just because the technology has evolved doesn't make it junk, especially at that price.

My best find was a set of $2,000 golf clubs that a widow was selling at a yard sale for 20 bucks.

Miami_JBT
10-30-22, 14:43
Try dealing with aged parents and their treasured "silver". The stuff they used to keep hidden away and had specific disposition for in their wills sometime.

Half the time you find out it's silver plate and worthless.

And if it's real silver, most of the time it's worth only the junk silver value. (For sure if it's monogrammed)

Crystal is similar unless very high end and not monogramed.

I've seen some stainless flatware go for more than what silver service sold for as it still had utility.

Yup, seen it often enough. It is a fact a life. Hell, I know half the crap I have now is worthless and will be junked. And honestly, I'm okay with that. Rather have my family inherit real assets like real estate property, not the crap in it.

Disciple
10-30-22, 15:57
FFL / SOT with a huge NFA inventory died, wife called ATF and said "just come get everything."

All of his buddies tried to explain it to her, offered to broker them on her behalf for FREE. She understood it was a closed registry and she would be forever denying these examples to everyone for all time, but she resented her husband and he loved guns so she hated them. She willingly gave away more than a million dollars worth of transferable and pre may dealer sample firearms just to spite her dead husband.

That's as bad as the guy who cut his finger off as a political statement. Whatever caused resentment in that relationship I would bet 20:1 it was her fault. Nuts!