PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade or Replace non-optic Glocks

BuzzinSATX
11-02-22, 10:17
I have several Gen 4 Glocks that I like but rarely shoot anymore as they are iron sight models. Primarily looking at two G19’s and a G17 to start.

Round counts range from around 10K on the G19 to about 2K on the G17. All are in excellent condition, with a few mods like Vickers mag release, slide lock, and Ghost connectors.

I’ve embraced red dots and I either want these guns to be modded or replaced.

I don’t want to go through the slide milling again. It’s fine, but I’m not going to go that route. I’m either going to sell these guns and buy optic ready models (Glock MOS or maybe a PDP…) or I’m gonna get a new optic ready slide.

The Brownells Glock slides are $160. I would likely buy a slide guts kit for another $110, and I’d still need sights for another $80-100….and then the optic. So excluding the optic, I’m looking at around $350-380 for the slide pre tax.

I can buy a G19-17 MOS for $477 before tax and sell my non optic gun for $400-450 pretty easy.

I currently have two guns I milled and three MOS models and honestly I see little difference in them.

Leaning towards selling them over modifying them….

Am I missing any better options?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B Cart
11-02-22, 10:26
I updated my Gen 3 Glock19 with the Brownells slide a few years ago, but with the numbers you posted, i would probably just sell yours and buy the G19MOS. Sounds like it will be a lot less hassle.

I have also completely switched to RDS on all my pistols. My only pistol left is my Glock 20 10mm woods gun, but it's harder to get aftermarket slides for those, so it still currently has irons.

gaijin
11-02-22, 10:48
I believe your on track, sell your irons pistols.

Renegade04
11-02-22, 11:25
Here are some options to upgrade your Gen 4 G19 and G17.

Gen 4 Glock 19 RMR cut slide
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rmr-cut-slide-for-glock-19-gen-4-prod134637.aspx

Gen 4 Glock 17 RMR cut slide
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/slide-parts/slides/rmr-cut-slide-for-glock-17-gen-4-prod121024.aspx

Amerigo Suppressor Height night sights for Glocks.
https://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/sights/sight-sets/suppressor-night-sight-set-for-glock--prod53947.aspx?cm_mmc=cse-_-Itwine-_-shopzilla-_-100-009-851&utm_medium=cse&utm_source=connexity&utm_campaign=itwine&utm_content=100-009-851&cnxclid=16674065406522210745210090301008005&utm_term=16674065406522210745210090301008005

BuzzinSATX
11-02-22, 11:56
I updated my Gen 3 Glock19 with the Brownells slide a few years ago, but with the numbers you posted, i would probably just sell yours and buy the G19MOS. Sounds like it will be a lot less hassle.

I have also completely switched to RDS on all my pistols. My only pistol left is my Glock 20 10mm woods gun, but it's harder to get aftermarket slides for those, so it still currently has irons.

Yes.

All you guys saying sell and replace are pretty much on track with me. I get two Glock Blue label buys per year and used one replacing a 48MOS I gave to my daughter as a going away present, so I’ll probably begin with the 17/45 MOS to replace my G17. Already have one G19 MOS.

Thanks.

Todd.K
11-02-22, 13:20
I like my Glocks without finger grooves, so Gen5 upgrade if it was me.

Buuuuut…..

I don’t plan to buy a Glock until the direct milled options are available, unless you want the SCS.

markm
11-02-22, 13:28
Buuuuut…..

I don’t plan to buy a Glock until the direct milled options are available, unless you want the SCS.

No doubt. I'm not much of a pistol owner. But I'm on the sideline for a year or two until the bugs are worked out of the RDS revolution. (mounting and sight evolution specifically)

I wouldn't want to outfit a handful of pistols, and then have to replace them when a better mousetrap is released. And there's no doubt that the best is yet to come.

Disciple
11-02-22, 13:36
I believe we have several members now using and pleased with the DeltaPoint Micro. At least worth trying before you sell.

Straight Shooter
11-02-22, 16:32
No doubt. I'm not much of a pistol owner. But I'm on the sideline for a year or two until the bugs are worked out of the RDS revolution. (mounting and sight evolution specifically)

I wouldn't want to outfit a handful of pistols, and then have to replace them when a better mousetrap is released. And there's no doubt that the best is yet to come.

You may have just saved me some money...been thinking on this too. Thanks.

markm
11-02-22, 16:43
You may have just saved me some money...been thinking on this too. Thanks.

Yeah. I'm excited to see what's to come. I'd parallel this to the early RDS carbine days/Eotech years. Some day, guys may have pistols with really good RDS and NO IRONs.

Straight Shooter
11-02-22, 17:35
Yeah. I'm excited to see what's to come. I'd parallel this to the early RDS carbine days/Eotech years. Some day, guys may have pistols with really good RDS and NO IRONs.

SOME guys, for sure. Not this one. I cant believe people using weapons for SD/SHTF or whatever believe in NOT using buis. WHY? Are they too heavy? Whats the downside to running optics with BUIS? Genuinely curious, asking for educational purposes.

RHINOWSO
11-02-22, 19:15
I don't feel the need to modify / RDS all my pistols. Some are just spares after a time and it's nice having a couple Glock that are vetted and good to go. So if I ever had a main Glock lost / stolen / etc, I would just upgrade one of the known quantities. And if I ever need money, you can turn a 9MM Glock into $400-500 in a couple hours. Or if we go Mad Max, a 9MM Glock is worth a lot more than worthless greenbacks.

With that being said, I have 5 with RDS on which is sufficient for what I want.

newyork
11-02-22, 19:16
You can always have CHPWS mill the mos system or have Agency mill Their AOS system instead of going through the grief of posting ads and shipping and/or ffl transfers etc and then buying after all that.

ARx3
11-02-22, 20:05
I don't feel the need to modify / RDS all my pistols. Some are just spares after a time and it's nice having a couple Glock that are vetted and good to go. So if I ever had a main Glock lost / stolen / etc, I would just upgrade one of the known quantities. And if I ever need money, you can turn a 9MM Glock into $400-500 in a couple hours. Or if we go Mad Max, a 9MM Glock is worth a lot more than worthless greenbacks.

I have to agree 100% with you. My wife and I have been fortunate to have won Glock pistols in GSSF matches both on performance and random draw. When we did we chose MOS models (2)-G45 MOS (1)- G34 MOS,(1)- G40 MOS (1)- G41 MOS and (1)- G48MOS. I also had my first two RDS pistols milled back in 2012 / 2013 for a total of seven. I don't plan on selling any of my non RDS pistols but will probably give them to my children and grandchildren in the future.

ViniVidivici
11-02-22, 21:33
You could throw a Dagger slide on the 19, and mount an optic. Easy button.

sandsunsurf
11-03-22, 00:41
I definitely think milling the slides is better than MOS which is equal or better than most aftermarket slides. This is taking into account both cost and reliability. I might consider a Dagger slide for a range gun, and I would carry a Glock MOS for duty, but I prefer a milled Glock slide for the lower mount height and it’s Glock reliable.

BuzzinSATX
11-03-22, 12:39

Good points and stuff I’ve been considering….which is why I’m soliciting opinions that I may have missed or to see how others think about it.

BuzzinSATX
11-03-22, 12:40
I have to agree 100% with you. My wife and I have been fortunate to have won Glock pistols in GSSF matches both on performance and random draw. When we did we chose MOS models (2)-G45 MOS (1)- G34 MOS,(1)- G40 MOS (1)- G41 MOS and (1)- G48MOS. I also had my first two RDS pistols milled back in 2012 / 2013 for a total of seven. I don't plan on selling any of my non RDS pistols but will probably give them to my children and grandchildren in the future.

Wow! You guys have done well and won
some nice models!

Nice post.

BuzzinSATX
11-03-22, 12:56

I see your points and don’t disagree, but my journey this far into red dots has me confident in what moving towards. I simply shoot better with red dot optics, much better, and with the dry fire and range work, I’m not any slower than with irons at this point.

I’ve currently got a 43X I had milled, three 9MM MOS models (19, 48*2) with dots (one went to my daughter), and I’m putting a dot on a new XDM Elite 10MM. That will be interesting to see how it holds up.

Most of my dots are Swampfox. Their mil discount is excellent and they have been solid and consistent. One is 3+ years old and I replace batteries once per year. I’ve also got one on a Henry .22 that is working out well. All hold zero since initial adjustment. Had one on my Staccato P and it held fine. Sold the gun to a friend. Had a DPP on a P320 I ran for a while but I don’t like how the Leupold is set up. Didn’t like the Sig either so they are gone but I know they are still functioning fine.

I’m sure better tech is coming, so I’ll deal with that as needed, but not gonna replace stuff that works.

My internal voice has been telling me to just hang on to my iron sighted Glocks and add the MOS models slower, which is what I’ll probably do. Probably gonna slip a PDP into the mix too just to see how I like it.

I appreciate all the inputs. Lots of good perspectives.

MegademiC
11-03-22, 13:12
I have several Gen 4 Glocks that I like but rarely shoot anymore as they are iron sight models. Primarily looking at two G19’s and a G17 to start.

Round counts range from around 10K on the G19 to about 2K on the G17. All are in excellent condition, with a few mods like Vickers mag release, slide lock, and Ghost connectors.

I’ve embraced red dots and I either want these guns to be modded or replaced.

I don’t want to go through the slide milling again. It’s fine, but I’m not going to go that route. I’m either going to sell these guns and buy optic ready models (Glock MOS or maybe a PDP…) or I’m gonna get a new optic ready slide.

The Brownells Glock slides are $160. I would likely buy a slide guts kit for another $110, and I’d still need sights for another $80-100….and then the optic. So excluding the optic, I’m looking at around $350-380 for the slide pre tax.

I can buy a G19-17 MOS for $477 before tax and sell my non optic gun for $400-450 pretty easy.

I currently have two guns I milled and three MOS models and honestly I see little difference in them.

Leaning towards selling them over modifying them….

Am I missing any better options?

Buy bare slide
Swap all parts including sights over to new slide.
Replace all the springs on your 19

I disagree, but I also shoot a bit of pistol. I view an rds as a permenant mod (hence a preference for an milling). If i need to replace my rmr in 10 years cause I killed it and the new bestrdsofalltime is out, Ill buy a new slide as well. Thats like $20 a year when you break it down.

...then i can have an irons retro pistol in 2032 and be cool online.

SteyrAUG
11-04-22, 05:26
I will gladly buy all those old, obsolete G19 and G17 (Gen 3 and before).

$200 each, you know they are useless now.

BuzzinSATX
11-04-22, 19:59
I will gladly buy all those old, obsolete G19 and G17 (Gen 3 and before).

$200 each, you know they are useless now.

Yeah, thanks!

I have a really nice bridge in NYC I’ll sell ya cheap too. Heck, buy the bridge for $500K and I’ll throw the Glocks in as a bonus…

SteyrAUG
11-05-22, 01:45
Yeah, thanks!

I have a really nice bridge in NYC I’ll sell ya cheap too. Heck, buy the bridge for $500K and I’ll throw the Glocks in as a bonus…

I'm just waiting on a major PD to decide everyone needs a RMR Glock and they dump all their Gen 3s on the market. Hopefully they won't all be .40s.

BuzzinSATX
11-05-22, 10:25
Most of my non-RMR Glocks are Gen 4’s. I’ve never had an issue other than a G21 that Glock replaced due to BTF syndrome on that gun.

I’ve shot a whole lotta rounds through them…never any issues. I like the larger mag release and texture, but that’s me I guess.

Good luck picking up Gen 3’s. I see them around regularly. Not usually below $350 if it’s in decent shape though.

Ricardo China
11-10-22, 20:31
I went to the milling way to my old G23... put a Holosun 507c and are a very happy camper!

yoni
11-11-22, 05:10
Don't mill, put a Leupold Delta Micro on one of them and you will soon be hooked on it

I just found one for $175 on Gunbroker:D

BuzzinSATX
11-15-22, 23:02
Don't mill, put a Leupold Delta Micro on one of them and you will soon be hooked on it

I just found one for $175 on Gunbroker:D

I’m 60 years old. Will it work with my eyes that can’t see a front sight clearly? I tried the Meprolight Bullseye and it was blurry. Been thinking the DP Micro would be too. Maybe not?

yoni
11-16-22, 03:25
I’m 60 years old. Will it work with my eyes that can’t see a front sight clearly? I tried the Meprolight Bullseye and it was blurry. Been thinking the DP Micro would be too. Maybe not?

I can't answer for your eyes. I need 1.25 reading glasses, and this is my red dot of choice.

titsonritz
11-16-22, 04:12

You should be target focused and superimpose the dot, it will be "blurry" since the eye can only focus on a single item at a time.

P2Vaircrewman
11-16-22, 08:45
I blew my nephew's mind when shooting my Aimpoint equipped carbine with the front lens cover in place making hits at 100 yards, target focus.

BuzzinSATX
11-17-22, 13:11
You should be target focused and superimpose the dot, it will be "blurry" since the eye can only focus on a single item at a time.

Makes sense…Thats how it works with a typical RDS.

I’ll have to see if I can find one on sale…

BuzzinSATX
11-17-22, 13:12
I can't answer for your eyes. I need 1.25 reading glasses, and this is my red dot of choice.

Thanks. I’ll see if I can find one to check out.

comm2679
11-28-22, 22:40
SOME guys, for sure. Not this one. I cant believe people using weapons for SD/SHTF or whatever believe in NOT using buis. WHY? Are they too heavy? Whats the downside to running optics with BUIS? Genuinely curious, asking for educational purposes.

Agreed. I’m absolutely shocked at how commonplace it has become in recent years to run optics without backup irons. I get that some modern optics are pretty much bomb-proof, but everything can fail. Batteries WILL fail.

yoni
11-29-22, 04:06
Back in 2001 when I first put a Dr. Optics on a Glock using a mount that replaced the rear sight the red dot sat so high that back up irons were impossible. I don't remember any issues with not having irons back ups.

Having said that I have had issues with RMR's and was glad I had back up irons.

Then last week in the middle of teaching my battery on my Leupold Delta micro went out, I used it the rest of the day as a teaching point. The body of the RD becomes a ghost ring and the front sight, I was able to drive on. Then in the last hour I replaced the battery to demonstrate no need to re zero.

I really am sold on the micro, it had a very short learning curve. My main 3 Glocks all wear it . I am pimping out my Glock 35 357sig right now, so my carry gun is my Glock 34 with 6 inch barrel. The last pistol is a Glock 32, that I will build after the 35 is back together.

Watrdawg
12-16-22, 08:46
I considered doing the same as the OP a little over a month ago. I had 2 G19's and a G17 that I hadn't shot in a couple of years. I mainly carry a P365XL with a RMRCC on it. So I went back and forth trying to decide to send off a slide to be milled or just buy a slide already milled. My buddy bought a Shadow Systems MR920 with a Holosun 507 on it and after putting a bout a 100 rounds down range with it I decided sell a Glock or 2. I ended up selling one of the G19's, a Gen3, and my G17 to fund a MR920 and a Holosun 508t. I really like this pistol! The Holosun reticle is basically the same as an Eotech. One thing I really like about the MR920 is that they way it is milled I could use most any optic I want without having to buy an adapter plate. However, so far I really like the Holosun so far.

lowprone
12-16-22, 10:58
I won't be installing any RDS on my pistols, still have good eyes and it gets cold here about half the year.