PDA

View Full Version : Old but new batteries?

Bluto
11-03-22, 08:23
Not sure if this is the right section so mods please move if necessary...

I got into the habit of replacing the batteries on my HD guns every January 1st just so it's easy to remember.

I have Aimpoint red dots and Streamlight lights. All told I replace about 10 CR2032, 18 CR123 and 2 lithium 9v. I used to use the CR123 in my flashlight but have switched to a rechargeable one and really have no other use for the CR123.

I tested the batteries last weekend and in almost all cases they are perfectly fine. Since I don't have a use for the CR123 batteries I feel like it would be a waste replacing them. None of them have been used at all the last year.

I replace them "just-in-case" and also in case they leak, which has never happened.

What do you guys do? Replace perfectly good batteries just-in-case or leave them? What do you do with the old ones if you don't have a device to use them with?

markm
11-03-22, 09:02
Hell no I don't dump good batreeze. ZTS battery tester lets me make smart decisions. Would be nice if it tested the little aimpoint batreeze too, but the flashlights are the big battery guzzlers.

Disciple
11-03-22, 11:01
I tested the batteries last weekend and in almost all cases they are perfectly fine. Since I don't have a use for the CR123 batteries I feel like it would be a waste replacing them. None of them have been used at all the last year.

Don't you train with your lights? My partially depleted cells get marked for training.

Coin cells I just replace.

Pappabear
11-03-22, 16:18
I just dump batteries once a year. It's not very green but I'm ready to go. I might skip this year except my HD guns.

PB

Exiledviking
11-03-22, 16:44
Hell no I don't dump good batreeze. ZTS battery tester lets me make smart decisions. Would be nice if it tested the little aimpoint batreeze too, but the flashlights are the big battery guzzlers.
The larger ZTS battery tester does test the small coin type batteries like the CR2032 that are used in the Aimpoints. I just upgraded to the large ZTS for that very reason. I used the smaller version quite often and I found it very useful. I much prefer being able to test a new battery before installing it and knowing that it is indeed good-to-go. Highly recommended.

Inkslinger
11-03-22, 17:55
I don’t get worked up about my batteries anymore. I will change them on the RMR for my carry gun and charge up the one for my OWL on my SBR. For every thing else, there’s spares always accessible. I have ones in grips, stocks, chest rigs, plate carriers. I can’t ever imagine finding myself in a situation where a battery dies and I don’t have at least one spare. If that moment ever arises, then the “B” in BUIS will save the day.

markm
11-04-22, 08:57
The larger ZTS battery tester does test the small coin type batteries like the CR2032 that are used in the Aimpoints. I just upgraded to the large ZTS for that very reason. I used the smaller version quite often and I found it very useful. I much prefer being able to test a new battery before installing it and knowing that it is indeed good-to-go. Highly recommended.

Damn it. No chance that it's ac/dc? I always chuckled at the irony of a battery powered battery tester. How can I test the batteries in my battery tester without putting in new batteries.