PDA

View Full Version : Vicker’s HK Book Part 1 coming this week!

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-07-22, 10:59
I’ll be a douche and say that I have some many Vicker’s books, and that the lead times are long enough that not only have I forgotten that I’ve pre-ordered books, I’ve actually double ordered the 1911 series. (The guy who really got me into shooting benefited as the extra set became his ‘retirement gift’.). The other way to look at is that I’ve recently bought so few books besides Vicker’s that I have tunnel vision.

Annnny-whooooo, got the notification recently and the shipping notification that the HK part 1 is shipping and I’ll have it this week. Not a huge HK collector- PSP, SP5. I went from 1911/2011s to M&Ps when I wanted to go to cheaper ‘duty’ guns and stay near stock ARs. Always wanted an HK45 and a USP. HKs always seemed that bridge between mass produced ‘duty’ guns and custom/quality 1911s. More expensive ammo makes cheaper guns less interesting- especially if you are going to shoot a lot.

FYI, they also have a lot of other books in stock according to the email- great Christmas gifts!

In case we have any gun book nuts here, does anyone have a line on a book on WWI Italian small arms, specifically those used by the Arditi? Got a buddy who has done a lot of research and even been published on them- his grandfather was one. Thought it might make a nice Christmas present for him..

Miami_JBT
11-07-22, 11:21
I have HK's official history book, written by Manfred Kersten & Walter Schmid for HK. Paid $45 for it from HK-USA's webstore when they were blowing them out.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UpYAAOSw6n5gYpjg/s-l400.jpg

Apparently, they go for stupid prices now.

Miami_JBT
11-07-22, 11:27
I’ll be a douche and say that I have some many Vicker’s books, and that the lead times are long enough that not only have I forgotten that I’ve pre-ordered books, I’ve actually double ordered the 1911 series. (The guy who really got me into shooting benefited as the extra set became his ‘retirement gift’.). The other way to look at is that I’ve recently bought so few books besides Vicker’s that I have tunnel vision.

Annnny-whooooo, got the notification recently and the shipping notification that the HK part 1 is shipping and I’ll have it this week. Not a huge HK collector- PSP, SP5. I went from 1911/2011s to M&Ps when I wanted to go to cheaper ‘duty’ guns and stay near stock ARs. Always wanted an HK45 and a USP. HKs always seemed that bridge between mass produced ‘duty’ guns and custom/quality 1911s. More expensive ammo makes cheaper guns less interesting- especially if you are going to shoot a lot.

FYI, they also have a lot of other books in stock according to the email- great Christmas gifts!

In case we have any gun book nuts here, does anyone have a line on a book on WWI Italian small arms, specifically those used by the Arditi? Got a buddy who has done a lot of research and even been published on them- his grandfather was one. Thought it might make a nice Christmas present for him..

As for them being between "mass produced ‘duty’ guns and custom/quality 1911s". The reality is, HK is just mass produced duty guns. When HK released the P7 in the US, it was priced lower than the Beretta 92 and it didn't sell well. So, HK tapped into the German auto industry's marketing strategy. Make their common consumer products seem like European luxury by raising the wholesale and MSRP prices on the products and advertising them as being high end luxury goods.

That is what was part of the Post War West German Economic Miracle.

Suddenly, the HK P7 started to sell very well.

https://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll137/ranjaz/HK_ADP7July1988.jpg

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-07-22, 12:10
I think the strong D-mark also almost killed Porsche as it navigated the conversion rate and also the 944/68-928-911 model confusion.

TMS951
11-07-22, 12:32
I find it obnoxious the books are printed in China for the price. Larry said it was about getting it to the customer at a certain price point. This notion has for ever had me checking where coffee table books are printed. My research indicates for the price they could be printed in the USA. I think it’s more of a hit to LAVs profit margin to have them printed in the USA.

Secondly a number of the original books have been rereleased with more pages and guns. To now to get that stuff I have to go order the same book I already have instead of just doing a volume 3? Pisses me off.

That said I’ll order this book. There may be better books about there but these are still worth owning.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-07-22, 12:47
THey are very picture heavy- which is great. I think that they would be a great complement to a detailed written account of the guns development and production.

Photo books and pricing/costing to me are difficult. I’ve heard it cost a huge amount or almost nothing to print. I used “My Publisher” for photo books of my kids and some projects until they went out of business. I have no idea on the economics of printing those size and thickness and quality here in the US.

The only other contemporary gun book I’ve bought is the one on the AI rifles. It is smaller, lower quaility and cheaper. It’s a coffee (tea?) table book, whereas you could make a coffee table out of Vicker’s books.

SteyrAUG
11-07-22, 16:32
I have HK's official history book, written by Manfred Kersten & Walter Schmid for HK. Paid $45 for it from HK-USA's webstore when they were blowing them out.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/UpYAAOSw6n5gYpjg/s-l400.jpg

Apparently, they go for stupid prices now.

That and Roller Locking are the two to have, got them both and like you paid $45.

I'm waiting on these:

Book #1
AR-15 (Volume 2) [PRE-ORDER; SEPT. 2022]
Book #2
Heckler & Koch (Volume 1) [PRE-ORDER; SEPT. 2022]
Book #3
WWII Germany (Volume 1) [PRE-ORDER; SEPT. 2022]

HKGuns
11-07-22, 18:52
Mine arrived yesterday but I am not in town to fondle it.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-07-22, 19:03
It’s pretty. It has an insane amount of data on the HK4 compared to other models for some reason.

SteyrAUG
11-07-22, 20:42
It’s pretty. It has an insane amount of data on the HK4 compared to other models for some reason.

Sorta disappointing. If anything should have gone deep on the P7 and USP series. HK4 is one of the least interesting HK handguns. Also looks like there will be a HK Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 so looks like I have another future order ahead of me. Also dying to know what will be in SIG Vol. 2. Not even sure I'm gonna order SIG Vol. 1.

HKGuns
11-07-22, 20:48
Sorta disappointing. If anything should have gone deep on the P7 and USP series. HK4 is one of the least interesting HK handguns. Also looks like there will be a HK Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 so looks like I have another future order ahead of me. Also dying to know what will be in SIG Vol. 2. Not even sure I'm gonna order SIG Vol. 1.

Agreed if that is the case.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-07-22, 21:42
I also wish there was more pictures of oddball models. ALTHOUGH, there is a cool section on the Mark 23k which is nice. Then, there is a picture of the P7M7 but they don't show you the internals, which is unfortunate. BUUT they have pictures of the internals P7M8s model with the manual safety ---which is awesome.

I am nitpicking. All H&K people should get this book. It has hundreds of amazing photos.

SteyrAUG
11-08-22, 02:00
I also wish there was more pictures of oddball models. ALTHOUGH, there is a cool section on the Mark 23k which is nice. Then, there is a picture of the P7M7 but they don't show you the internals, which is unfortunate. BUUT they have pictures of the internals P7M8s model with the manual safety ---which is awesome.

I am nitpicking. All H&K people should get this book. It has hundreds of amazing photos.

I hope. I have a basic interest in ALL HK firearms, but the HK 4 was a simple blowback, unremarkable design in three unremarkable calibers. The only novelty is the interchangeability of swapping barrels, recoil springs and mags. I suppose in 1967 it was cutting edge for pocket pistol gurus who believed they were some kind of James Bond.

Miami_JBT
11-08-22, 05:31
I hope. I have a basic interest in ALL HK firearms, but the HK 4 was a simple blowback, unremarkable design in three unremarkable calibers. The only novelty is the interchangeability of swapping barrels, recoil springs and mags. I suppose in 1967 it was cutting edge for pocket pistol gurus who believed they were some kind of James Bond.

It was HK's first pistol.

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-08-22, 07:49
HEATHEN!!!!

I got mine yesterday and haven’t gotten to go all the way through it. Started feeling the vapors when I got to the P7 section…

sgtrock82
11-08-22, 11:10

Not sure if there is a book specifically about weapons of the Arditi, but this should cover most Italian infantry weapons.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20221108/cf256a6cca26eae723f7937360154644.jpg

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

SteyrAUG
11-08-22, 14:11
It was HK's first pistol.

I understand that, but it wasn't even terribly unique. They largely copied a Mauser design.

Exiledviking
11-08-22, 16:44
I understand that, but it wasn't even terribly unique. They largely copied a Mauser design.I started reading my HK book and if I remember correctly one of the engineers on the HK4 project worked on the Mauser HSc design while at Mauser hence the many similarities.

SteyrAUG
11-08-22, 17:41
I started reading my HK book and if I remember correctly one of the engineers on the HK4 project worked on the Mauser HSc design while at Mauser hence the many similarities.

Shouldn't be surprised, I think everyone involved at HK came from Mauser. Even the guys who went to Spain to make the CETME were from Mauser, they also made the M45 Spanish Mauser. They even built HK on the old Mauser location after it was destroyed by the French at the insistence of the Russians.