PDA

View Full Version : India's new "ATAL" handgun

Slater
11-15-22, 07:43
Knowing how many Indian weapons programs go, by next year this may be ancient history:

https://astrdefence.com/atal/

SomeOtherGuy
11-15-22, 08:49
So they basically copied a Glock and it only took them 40 years? Woo-hoo.

India's military weapons programs make the US major-weapon procurement system look fast, efficient, and transparent. Among other hits, they managed to colossally mess up what should have been an AKM copy.

gsd2053
11-15-22, 08:55
So they basically copied a Glock and it only took them 40 years? Woo-hoo.

India's military weapons programs make the US major-weapon procurement system look fast, efficient, and transparent. Among other hits, they managed to colossally mess up what should have been an AKM copy.

Seems more of a sig copy.

ETA
Makes sense as they already make sig parts. LoL maybe world's first all MIM pistol.

Look at their research link on their website.

Coming Soon.

It's like their research will be based off of how the pistols perform after they're bought and put in circulation

Ron3
11-15-22, 09:29
It's like their research will be based off of how the pistols perform after they're bought and put in circulation

This is how Germany tests the cars and guns they make.

Of course they end up with a much better product than India.

Ron3
11-15-22, 09:32
Oh wait!

I noticed they make it in .32 acp! Now I kinda want one.

Edit:

Boo...only 8 and 10 rd mags for the .32. It's NOT a blow-back. Neat surprise. Must have a light slide and be the easiest gun in the world to rack.

The 9x19 is 17+1.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Astr+atal+.32&view=detail&mid=3FE35C53B3D30D6AA0553FE35C53B3D30D6AA055&FORM=VIRE

No videos of them actually firing.

Slater
11-15-22, 09:39
India may be one of those countries where civilian gun owners are not allowed to use the same caliber as their military.

sinister
11-15-22, 10:04
A Glock 320

utahjeepr
11-15-22, 11:30
India may be one of those countries where civilian gun owners are not allowed to use the same caliber as their military.

It is. I believe they also have capacity limits. Also have some rule about planting 10 trees before you can get a license(???).

Ned Christiansen
11-15-22, 16:07
Their site showing a guy holding it like Charlies Angels..... yeah....

I guess it's important to roll your own but it seems so totally wasteful-- mount a program of R&D, then tool up to put into production something that is almost certainly not better that much of what's already out there. In the end the taxpayers are paying 10X for something "not better". I don't just mean India. It's everywhere and throughout time. For my part, speaking of military pistols, why didn't everyone since WWI just buy or make under license or just copy (chrono order):

Lugers
1911's
Browning HP's
Beretta 92, maybe (not that I'm a fan)
Glocks

There are others that are pretty worthy I suppose but good lord there was never a dire need for, as examples, the Steyr M1912, the Tokarev T33, the Lahti L35, the P38.... those are some of the better ones that maybe never needed to be outside of "we made it". There are many more that are worse to outright terrible.

A locked-breech .32 though....? Somewhat of interest just from the the technical point of view.

markm
11-15-22, 16:10
What is their RDS mount? .... Hopefully yet another idiotic method!

utahjeepr
11-15-22, 17:36
What is their RDS mount? .... Hopefully yet another idiotic method!

Just glue it on top with a bit of curry paste?

henri
11-15-22, 18:25
Looks very FN509 or the old SIG 2022...an odd variant of sorts; anyway its not something most here in the US would purchase I'd guess.

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-16-22, 21:30
Makes sense as they already make sig parts. LoL maybe world's first all MIM pistol.

Brutal

OutofBatt3ry
11-16-22, 23:23
A Glock 320

Can Indians (people from India) legally own a firearm?

Looks like a P320/250.

I suppose folks who don't own Glocks...or modern Sigs, don't realize there isn't a giant take-down lever on a Glock...or that a 320 has a giant take-down lever.