PDA

View Full Version : SHK steel magazines

Disciple
11-16-22, 15:43
I cannot find a m4c thread on these $5 steel magazines. https://globalordnance.com/shk-30rd-steel-ar15-magazines-upc-00850003223070/

Any experiences?

Dutch110
11-16-22, 17:04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVg8rXLr1gw&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i97wp8W-PLQ

The second one is interesting only in that LRBHO did not work on his sample of one mag. For 5 bucks I think they'd make good range mags but not sure I would count on them in a pickle. I had 10 in the cart last week and held off for some reason.

Patrin
11-21-22, 19:26
I just bought a dozen based on excellent feedback over on AR15.com. Build quality on the mag bodies is excellent and robust. Followers move freely and I see no obvious defects in them. Springs appear of good quality.

What I did do, and do anyway with new mags, is tear em down and apply dry-lube. Some of the lot I noticed were more 'sticky' in follower movement then others due to whatever lubricant was used. All were cleaned with hot water/soap, dryed, dry-film spray applied to innards and springs.

To a mag they all function butter smooth and LRBHO is functional in all. I would buy some if I were you...a dozen for 60$, you can't lose.

GH41
11-21-22, 19:36
I always look at everything else a company sells. They sell junk and I can only assume the magazines are junk!

Patrin
11-21-22, 19:39
I always look at everything else a company sells. They sell junk and I can only assume the magazines are junk!

All due respect, do you have any of these mags in your possession? I own NHMTG, Okay, DD, Gen 3's and these. Mags are well made. If I added some red springs from SAW and Magpul plates, they'd be stellar, but I see no reason, after cleaning them, to not run them as is.

Disciple
11-22-22, 10:46
All due respect, do you have any of these mags in your possession? I own NHMTG, Okay, DD, Gen 3's and these. Mags are well made. If I added some red springs from SAW and Magpul plates, they'd be stellar, but I see no reason, after cleaning them, to not run them as is.

Thanks, I'm going to get a few. Should keep wear off my PMAGs at least. I don't suppose you've tried the SHK 33 round Glock magazine too?

Patrin
11-22-22, 11:18
I think you’ll be pleased. No I haven’t used the Glock mags, word is they’re decent.

AR and AK mags get the glowing reviews.

georgeib
11-22-22, 12:32
I just bought a dozen based on excellent feedback over on AR15.com. Build quality on the mag bodies is excellent and robust. Followers move freely and I see no obvious defects in them. Springs appear of good quality.

What I did do, and do anyway with new mags, is tear em down and apply dry-lube. Some of the lot I noticed were more 'sticky' in follower movement then others due to whatever lubricant was used. All were cleaned with hot water/soap, dryed, dry-film spray applied to innards and springs.

To a mag they all function butter smooth and LRBHO is functional in all. I would buy some if I were you...a dozen for 60$, you can't lose.

Thanks for the review. They seem like a decent training and range mag. I guess for my purposes I don't see the benefit to save $50 on a 10 pack of Gen 3 mags though.

Patrin
11-23-22, 14:06
...was looking at a case of Gen 3's, so for a 70$ difference (w/shipping), one could throw in some SAW red springs in these and magpul floorplates and only be out a 50$ difference vs 10 Gen 3's and, arguably, have a better mag setup in these.

RHINOWSO
11-23-22, 14:09
...was looking at a case of Gen 3's, so for a 70$ difference (w/shipping), one could throw in some SAW red springs in these and magpul floorplates and only be out a 50$ difference vs 10 Gen 3's and, arguably, have a better mag setup in these.

Right... a fool and their money... easily parted...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-KSB6lZfHL0k%2FUX-itoraKeI%2FAAAAAAAALh0%2Fto-I16Zl_84%2Fs1600%2FRicky-Gervais.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=6e7f771e6c94872ff64b07958bc2df73d871f453ed2d3ce89796053914146083&ipo=images

Patrin
11-23-22, 14:12
“Opinions vary.”

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-25-22, 16:59
Right... a fool and their money... easily parted...

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2F3.bp.blogspot.com%2F-KSB6lZfHL0k%2FUX-itoraKeI%2FAAAAAAAALh0%2Fto-I16Zl_84%2Fs1600%2FRicky-Gervais.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=6e7f771e6c94872ff64b07958bc2df73d871f453ed2d3ce89796053914146083&ipo=images

No kidding. The mental gymnastics involved in justifying this to save less than the cost of dinner at a cheap restaurant is mind boggling.

"If I just buy these dirt cheap steel mags nobody has heard of, then basically replace everything but the body, I'll have mags that are better than gen 3 PMAGs. This makes way more sense than buying mags of known quality."

Patrin
11-25-22, 19:09
Mental gymnastics huh? Only mags I’ve had fail, in person, and in spectacular fashion, are pmags. A gen 2 and a gen 3. I’ve yet had an aluminum mag of a similar vintage, age and use fail.

You have any experience with these steel mags? Floor is yours.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-25-22, 19:51
Mental gymnastics huh? Only mags I’ve had fail, in person, and in spectacular fashion, are pmags. A gen 2 and a gen 3. I’ve yet had an aluminum mag of a similar vintage, age and use fail.

You have any experience with these steel mags? Floor is yours.

Yes, mental gymnastics is exactly what that was.

I've never snorted meth but I don't need to in order to know it's to be avoided.

Patrin
11-25-22, 19:59
So personal jabs aside, which is telling, you have no experience and don’t know what you’re talking about in respect to these magazines - got it.

Five_Point_Five_Six
11-25-22, 20:12
So personal jabs aside, which is telling, you have no experience and don’t know what you’re talking about in respect to these magazines - got it.

You seem to be very emotionally invested in these.

Patrin
11-25-22, 20:15
Haha...

Stickman
11-25-22, 20:22

I'm the same way. Regardless if its pics, a review, or a recommended purchase for family.

Disciple
11-25-22, 20:44
This thread certainly took a turn. I already have PMAGs so I am just hoping for a durable range magazine, and at $30 shipped for six it was not a large gamble. I'll give my impression when I get them.

robbins290
11-30-22, 12:58
for $2 dollars more, you can get D&H mags. And for $4 dollars more, you can get a Pmag.

Unless they were like 3 bucks and free shipping, I would not invest anything in these.

Disciple
11-30-22, 17:01
Where are D&H mags $7 with free shipping?

robbins290
11-30-22, 17:07
Where are D&H mags $7 with free shipping?

Watch them. They go on sale regularly. Just a week or so ago i ordered 10 for 79 and change (5.5% state tax).

https://palmettostatearmory.com/accessories/magazines/rifle-magazines/ar-15/d-h-ar-15-223-5-56-magazine-30rd-alm-black-teflon-laser-mag-30-al-lz-bt-mp-psa.html

Disciple
12-02-22, 19:45
I got the SHK mags today. The bodies feel sturdy and are well finished and the anti-tilt followers run smoothy, but the rounds on the right hand side are presented at a funny angle and don't seem well controlled. I'd say I gambled and lost, as I would rather just have three more PMAGs for the same price.

MSW
12-02-22, 20:23
I bought 10 of these steel mags. They don’t fit my Daniel Defense lower. They don’t seat all the way in & don’t lock in. They do fit my pre-ban Bushie & PSA.

I have steel HK mags that fit the DD (i had purchased them for a MSAR E4 & FS2000) so, it seems the global ordnance mags are different spec than HK.

I just got them & haven’t shot with them, so I cannot comment further.

Patrin
12-02-22, 20:33
I’ll post a report over the weekend, taking a half dozen out to run tomorrow in practice. All of the ones I received fit an Armalite and a Caracal 816 on a sionics lower.

Disciple
12-05-22, 12:47
I bought 10 of these steel mags. They don’t fit my Daniel Defense lower. They don’t seat all the way in & don’t lock in. They do fit my pre-ban Bushie & PSA.

Mine fit and lock in a LMT lower with a DD upper. What is the interference point on your lower?

Do you have the issue with rounds on the right hand (ejection side) of the stack pointing more inward and upward than PMAGs and Surefeeds, and feeling uncontrolled? If it were not for that I would be pleased with the purchase.

RHINOWSO
12-05-22, 13:05
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fmedia.giphy.com%2Fmedia%2FiqfYgtx8oWw4o%2Fgiphy.gif&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=ac36d4eb6ae6428a4a5f3f6ec4d3091606cdc9a4bd7dd369220989cc2e25f9fd&ipo=images

I told you so....

Disciple
12-05-22, 13:33
I told you so....

Not sure why you feel the need to laugh. You posted after I ordered and I had no illusion of these taking the place of PMAGs.

Patrin
12-05-22, 14:24
Know it all syndrome...ignore it.

I’ll edit this post for how they stacked up in training Saturday later today (w/ pics). Mostly good, some bad, but not a wasted investment by any means.

UPDATE : So I picked 6 out of the dozen and ran thru them w/ 250 rounds of XM193. 4 functioned and fed flawlessly. 2 had hang ups on reloads. Culprit on those 2 is the 'overspray' on the mag bodies. Whatever is used to finish these mags goes on thick in some places. Re-inserting the magazine with more force solved the problem, but a lil Flitz polish should remedy those 2 magazines.

Final verdict IMO : buy these mags if you're looking for a rock bottom deal, and don't mind using your noodle to troubleshoot a minor issue. At minimum, these will make excellent range magazines. More than that, vet - all of them - first. Still not a bad deal overall @ 60$ for a dozen w/ free shipping...picture attached.

MSW
12-10-22, 17:05
Mine fit and lock in a LMT lower with a DD upper. What is the interference point on your lower?

Do you have the issue with rounds on the right hand (ejection side) of the stack pointing more inward and upward than PMAGs and Surefeeds, and feeling uncontrolled? If it were not for that I would be pleased with the purchase.

The rear of the magazine stifks in the mag well & won’t lock in place.

12-10-22, 17:28
The rear of the magazine stifks in the mag well & won’t lock in place.

Do you have an aftermarket trigger guard rubbing it?

shadowspirit
12-21-22, 18:09

What kind of springs in SHK mags? Stainless, chrome-silicon, other?

Patrin
12-21-22, 22:47
Stainless is my observation.