PDA

View Full Version : Reminton 700 5R or 700P

Snake
12-24-08, 21:59
Gents, I need some advice.

I found a pretty sweet deal on Snipershide.com for a REM 700 5R package(Harris BRM-S w/Podloc, Seekins 20 MOA base, Eagle Stock Pack, Storim IM3300 Hardcase, TIS Green M24 sling). I was just wondering if I would be better off getting a 700P and upgrading it with what I want, or go for the 5R. What do you guys think?

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-24-08, 22:26
First off in my opnion you can never go wrong with a REM 700 is it right for you? I dont know what do you want to do with it?

Snake
12-25-08, 00:40
First off in my opnion you can never go wrong with a REM 700 is it right for you? I dont know what do you want to do with it?

Mostly it's gonna be a range gun and hunter. Take it with me to Tiger Valley for classes and competitions once my skill increases.

Dave L.
12-25-08, 04:43
I believe the only thing you gain with a 5R is barrel life, which I'm sure has yet to be proven.
I was out at the GPS Warfighter Sniper course; all they use is 700P's that they have cut to 18" and re-crowned. All of them shoot under 1", some shoot closer to 1/2" at 100 yards.

I would say, which ever is available depending on how fast you want it, and how much you have to spend. Neither gun "should" let you down. I would get it cut and re-crowned right away, best money you can spend on a 700P/5R.

Snake
12-25-08, 10:00
I'll probably get the barrel cut down to 20" and re-crowned, but that'll be temporally as I'm planning on sending it to GA Precision.

Dave L.
12-25-08, 11:44
I'll probably get the barrel cut down to 20" and re-crowned, but that'll be temporally as I'm planning on sending it to GA Precision.

If it's a .308, I would get it cut down to 18" and fluted. I wish I would have had mine fluted. GAP does great work, you wont be let down.

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-25-08, 11:44
There are allot of good rifle smiths out there if it were me I would just build a rifle but it all depends on your budget. The 260 rem will kill the 308 in longrange al day.

Snake
12-25-08, 14:42
This is gonna be my first precision rifle, so I didn't want to go all out and get a 3 to 4K rifle and have no experience behind it (that'll be once I have some experience). I thought about the 260 rem., but I wanted something that'll be more readily available. Do you guys know any good gunsmiths in the San Antonio area that I can go to to get the barrel done?

ICANHITHIMMAN
12-25-08, 21:40
He is in Corpus Christy thought name is Benny Hill he did my 1911 had it back to me in a week. He does rifles to only Remingtion and winchester however. He can do a full build on your gun.

Triangle shooting sports

Just send him an email.

I have two rifles right now one in 308 and the other in 260 rem. The 308 is fine for steel out past 1000yds but not game. I would say shooting a 175VLD if I can get the veloicty over 2550 at the muzzle the 308 would be a 700 yard whitetailed gun. The 260rem however with a 140g VLD is a 1200 yard whitetailed gun. and good for steel out past that.

There is another option to you rem700 CDNN has FN barrled recivers in 308 win for 400$ The had 20" and 22" fluted and non fluted. You will not find them listed on there website but if you call they should still have some left. You can get a manners stock for 400 bucks and then you have a rifle every bit as good or better that a rem 700. The FN is nothing more than a SA win model 70 with controled round feed a ++++++ in my book. The CDNN folks have Houge stock and maybe some McMillan left as well if you wanted one of then I think they were getting 400 for the mcmillan but dont quote me on that. Just my two cents

Snake
12-26-08, 10:26
I gotta go pick up my car today, so I'm gonna hit a couple of places and see if they've got any 700P's. One of them has a gunsmith, so I'll see what they offer. If they can't do it, I'll try the guy in Corpus Christi. I thought about getting the FN set from CDNN, but for my first, I'm gonna go with the 700.

TomD
12-26-08, 16:28
Snake,

For a precision rifle, go to Triple G Gunsmithing in Stephenville. That's all he does & he does it very well.

pstrauss
01-19-09, 10:42
What's the purpose of cutting the barrel down to 18"?

TomD
01-19-09, 14:27
Now that's a real good question!! ( Probably because some 'ninjas' did it.)

Solomon
01-22-09, 16:27
What's the purpose of cutting the barrel down to 18"?

Now that's a real good question!! ( Probably because some 'ninjas' did it.)

This article has generated a lot of buzz on 18" .308 barrels: http://www.tacticaloperations.com/SWATbarrel/.

KACSR15
01-26-09, 11:17
Well my wife went thru the same decision process when I was home for Christmas. She bought me a new 700P :D. After much looking, her asking me loads of questions, and pacing the floor at the gun shop she took the leap.

The 700P now has a Williams floorplate, a tuned trigger, Leupold Mk4 base & rings, sets in a box awaiting glass and me to be back home again.

As far as the short barrels, not for me. Lots of talk about it over on The Hide. I had a chance to handle a new GAP Rock when home and believe that had a 22" tube on it, I think I could live with that. It was well balanced and very nice!

Merry Christmas.
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/moyertr/PSS_3.jpg

After a good cleaning.
http://i356.photobucket.com/albums/oo7/moyertr/PSS_1.jpg

96GTS
01-26-09, 16:29
Regarding the 700P, at what distance/range is the 20" barrel "not good 'nuff" and you'd have to step up to the 26" barrel?

n/m, found my answer in the above posted article....

Leprechaun
02-01-09, 19:47
With your experience and all the 700P is the way to go.It will be plenty of accurate for you.As for cutting it down...DON"T. save your money,buy some bullets and shoot the thing.As you get more experience you will get a better feel for what you need to get as far a accessories.

The ONLY thing the 700p may need is a trigger job.IF you do it get it done by a QUALITY gunsmith.

Ridgerunner665
02-02-09, 01:59
Regarding the 700P, at what distance/range is the 20" barrel "not good 'nuff" and you'd have to step up to the 26" barrel?

n/m, found my answer in the above posted article....

I'm going to answer anyway...

I have an SPS Tactical (20 inch barrel)...and its great at 800 yards, good at 900, and can still make decent hits on man size targets at 1000.

I use 168 grain bullets...Nosler Ballistic Tips (.490 BC), and 168 Amax's (.475 BC)...with 175's it might just make it to 1000 a tad better as long as I could get the MV up to around 2,550 fps, but I don't know....I have not tried yet.

The 168's leave at 2,635 fps with a max load and acceptable accuracy...but they are more accurate at 2,550 fps, which will make it to 800 yards just fine.

mkemmerl
02-08-09, 19:01

I found a pretty sweet deal on Snipershide.com for a REM 700 5R package(Harris BRM-S w/Podloc, Seekins 20 MOA base, Eagle Stock Pack, Storim IM3300 Hardcase, TIS Green M24 sling). I was just wondering if I would be better off getting a 700P and upgrading it with what I want, or go for the 5R. What do you guys think?

Hi Snake - I bought a 5R last year and love it. It shoots better than I can. On my best day, it did 1/2" @ 100y. It isn't quite as heavy as a 700P, which might be a consideration if you truly intend to hunt with it. Ammo cost was a factor for me, which made .308 an easy choice. The fatter 700p stock was appealing and I like the black look, but neither served a practical purpose for me. So the "mil-spec" is what sold me. Another thought; I was nowhere near scientific about it, but I found that I see 100-150fps more than a friend's 24" 700 with the same ammo.

This site was a big help for me when I was going through that same decision-making process you are: http://www.tobystactical.com/2007/11/remington-700-ss-5r-milspec.html

BTW - this site just posted that Remington will be selling the 5R in .223 and .300WM for 2009.

Hope that helps. Send us an update when you make your decision - MK

Darkop
02-09-09, 19:06

I received my 5R milspec 3 weeks a go. I have 93 rounds through it to date. With Federal Gold Metal Match 168g I'm averaging between .44" to .65" three and five shot groups. I am not an experienced bolt gun shooter. But it is without a doubt that this gun can shoot. The first three shot group I shot out of this gun was .66" and this was during barrel break in. The first thing I noticed was how easily the first patch was to push through the barrel. Smooth like glass and very little copper fouling. It has only gotten better. A real shooter should be able to shoot this rifle to .25"-.35" easily.

My experience,
YMMV

Darkop

BigEd63
02-16-09, 18:58
I sure love my 5R.

Only grip I got right now is no place close to shoot long range.

Dave L.
02-17-09, 00:27
I sure love my 5R.

Only grip I got right now is no place close to shoot long range.

I just bought a 5R in .300WM. I wont get to see it for 2.5 months, but It landed at my local gun shop yesterday and I should have some pictures soon.
It's getting a NF 3.5-15X50. Badger Thruster, and TIS Quick-Cuff ASAP.

THT
02-17-09, 19:57
I own a 5R and can say it is a more accurate rifle right out of the box than I am a shooter. Gives me something to strive for, right? At any rate, I don't think you'll regret purchasing either the 5R or the PSS. I chose the 5R over the PSS due to some rave reviews I've read online and decided it would give me more room to grow than the PSS. At the time, I think the premium for the 5R was $100 or so over the PSS.

Fringe
03-27-09, 09:18
I just had my second range session with the 5R yesterday. The first session I was only able to run 5 rounds through it while I tried getting the Leupold Mk4 dialed. Yesterday I was able to quickly dial the Mk4 in at 100 yards and the second to the last shot I hit the bulls eye dead center. I fired 10 shots for a grand total of 15. I have absolutely no training or experience with this format and after only 15 rounds, I am hooked and very impressed with this rifle. I hope to get some training and open this baby up with some real distance. Good fun.

buggsb
03-30-09, 19:03
I think you can't go wrong with either the 5R or the 700P. Both are excellent.

I had my 5R out this weekend though to dial in my optic and have to admit that I was a little disappointed. I guess it was all the outstanding reports I heard about it had my expectations very high. Not that it was a total pig or anything, but it just didn't live up to my expectations. I was easily able to outshoot it with my LTR. I'm going to try some deffierent ammo before I give a final verdict though.

Centerfire
03-31-09, 16:47
Both tend to be real shooters. Comes down to what stock/barrel combo your looking for.

M4A1CQBR
03-31-09, 22:00
After owning a PSS and now currently I have two SPS tacticals, I would say get the PSS. Use the money you'll save on better optics.