PDA

View Full Version : How to find a photo from long ago..

Straight Shooter
11-22-22, 03:28
Forgive me if Ive asked this here before- I know I have somewhere. I am re-starting my quest to find a photo taken of me & an Israeli Colonel taken at Camp Lejuene NC at LZ Bluebird sometime between MAY86 to AUG87. For the life of me I cannot pin it down any closer than that.
During a training exercise, we flew in on CH 46's, rappelled down out of the helo.. and I made my way to a point and engaged an old tank with a Dragon missile. Was a long shot & a damn good shot. After the exercise...my Capt. summoned for me and I ran over to him. He was standing with this Israeli Col. and Ill never forget how this guy looked. Dark skinned...lean, square jawed, about 5'8" or so, black Beret, squared away AF.
To my utter amazement- he requested a photo of me & him together, and of course the Dragon too.
So, some magazine at the time...like a Stars & Stripes or a Marine Corps Gazette type deal..took the pic. I remember asking how to get a copy..but cannot remember what was said. Before I die Id love to get a copy of this pic, Ive thought about it often over the years.
My question: What were the magazines around at that time I can try to research? Im 90% sure it was a military style magazine..not like a TIME or anything, but Im not 100% even on that.
Where & how to start advice appreciated & needed, man I have NO idea. Ive spent a good deal of time looking since the interwebs were invented, but no luck.
Is this even possible?

FromMyColdDeadHand
11-22-22, 08:46
Was it Yoni?

chuckman
11-22-22, 09:01
Forgive me if Ive asked this here before- I know I have somewhere. I am re-starting my quest to find a photo taken of me & an Israeli Colonel taken at Camp Lejuene NC at LZ Bluebird sometime between MAY86 to AUG87. For the life of me I cannot pin it down any closer than that.
During a training exercise, we flew in on CH 46's, rappelled down out of the helo.. and I made my way to a point and engaged an old tank with a Dragon missile. Was a long shot & a damn good shot. After the exercise...my Capt. summoned for me and I ran over to him. He was standing with this Israeli Col. and Ill never forget how this guy looked. Dark skinned...lean, square jawed, about 5'8" or so, black Beret, squared away AF.
To my utter amazement- he requested a photo of me & him together, and of course the Dragon too.
So, some magazine at the time...like a Stars & Stripes or a Marine Corps Gazette type deal..took the pic. I remember asking how to get a copy..but cannot remember what was said. Before I die Id love to get a copy of this pic, Ive thought about it often over the years.
My question: What were the magazines around at that time I can try to research? Im 90% sure it was a military style magazine..not like a TIME or anything, but Im not 100% even on that.
Where & how to start advice appreciated & needed, man I have NO idea. Ive spent a good deal of time looking since the interwebs were invented, but no luck.
Is this even possible?

Camp Lejeune Globe? Stars & Stripes? Military Times/Marine Corps Times? Marine Corps Gazette? Leatherneck?

I would seriously doubt it was a non-sanctioned mag like Gung Ho or Soldier of Fortune.

militarymoron
11-22-22, 13:19
I'd start out with your Capt. (if he's still around) to see if he remembers who the photographer worked for.

Averageman
11-22-22, 14:07
I'm not sure about the USMC, but the Army had Infantry Magazine, Armor Magazine and a connect the dots for Artillery Guys Magazine.
Each featured new equipment idea's and the VIP Coverage.
So if a General from the Bundeswere appeared on range 117, a pic would be snapped and an article.
I'm pretty sure that's where I would look.

BTW Two Copies of my front page appearance on Stars and Stripes.

Straight Shooter
11-22-22, 22:26
Camp Lejeune Globe? Stars & Stripes? Military Times/Marine Corps Times? Marine Corps Gazette? Leatherneck?

I would seriously doubt it was a non-sanctioned mag like Gung Ho or Soldier of Fortune.

Good suggestions to start-NO, Im sure it wasnt SoF or Gung Ho. Woulda been cool to have been in SoF, tho. :)

Straight Shooter
11-22-22, 22:30
Was it Yoni?

Hilarious..I dont know Yoni, but way back then, I doubt it! If I can find out who the Col. was..Ill see if Yoni knows him. The dude straight up looked like he would ****in kill you in a heartbeat.

Straight Shooter
11-22-22, 22:33
I'd start out with your Capt. (if he's still around) to see if he remembers who the photographer worked for.

Wouldnt know how to find him from that long ago. BTW- My Capt. was Charles {Chuck} Johnson...VERY famous for doing something. Ill give a hint: It was in Beruit.
Get a few guesses and Ill tell if no on gets it.