PDA

View Full Version : If you like "COPS", try "Homeland Security USA"

C5CE
12-24-08, 22:43
If you like cop shows, this one looks promising.

ABC has announced the airing, starting Jan. 6, of Homeland Security USA, an hour-long reality series that features behind-the-scenes glimpses of the law enforcement activities conducted by Department of Homeland Security agencies. US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) is featured prominently in the show.

Based on a successful Australian show, Border Security, the series is produced by Arnold Shapiro, Oscar and Emmy winner and producer of reality shows Scared Straight and Big Brother. ABC reports that the producer “takes cameras into situations never before seen on television, with each episode covering eight or more locations on the ‘front lines’ where the officers and agents work each day.”

Other agencies featured include Coast Guard, Secret Service, Transportation Security Administration, Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Citizenship and Immigration Service. ABC has committed to running 13 of the hour-long shows this winter and spring.

“We are very excited to provide America with a true picture of the challenges and contributions of CBP’s men and women,” said Jeff Robertson, assistant commissioner of public affairs. “This was more than a year in the making, and public affairs officers throughout the country worked hard to ensure that we met the needs of the agency and the production crews.”

Here’s how ABC describes the first show: “The premiere episode, ‘This is Your Car on Drugs,’ takes viewers inside some of the busiest international entry points to the U.S. At Los Angeles International Airport, a voluptuous 20-year-old woman arrives from Switzerland with no working papers but a suitcase full of titillating surprises! In the Pacific Northwest, at the Blaine, Washington border crossing, smugglers attempt to foil DHS canines by packing narcotics in baby diapers. Along the border between the U.S. and Mexico in the scorching heat of the desert outside of Tucson, Border Patrol agents race the clock to find six undocumented immigrants lost in the barren wilderness. In one of the most dramatic stories at the San Ysidro, California border crossing, a fake license plate tips a border officer off to a life-threatening situation. Meanwhile, there are some unusual illegal items intercepted at the International Mail Center in Carson, California, including a “delicacy” officers are shocked to discover is actually barbecued bats.”

PROMO VIDEO:
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f319/wd4lam/th_abc_promo.jpg (http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f319/wd4lam/?action=view&current=abc_promo.flv)

HK2000
12-25-08, 02:13
I'll be waiting to see what good comes out of it.

MisterWilson
12-25-08, 02:33
I hope it's on par with DEA...

:D

Alpha Sierra
12-25-08, 10:25
Yawn. I can see an hour show of TSA idiots opening suitcases and looking at IDs. Outside of Customs, USBP, and USCG, DHS is a joke.

Network TV is a vacuum of creativity, a hotbed of anti-gun hatred, and shills for the Obammunists.

Why would anyone here watch this?

zippygaloo
12-25-08, 17:13
Drivel!

Bat Guano
12-26-08, 11:29
I knew a couple of guys that were involved in the production of "Cops" back in the day. They were prima donnas, not working stiffs. :rolleyes:

And I guarantee you that management is only going to go with stuff that makes them look good (and competent). In short, totally unrealistic. :eek:

The only cop show I could ever stand was "Barney Miller". It was true to life in that it caught the absolute wierdness and whimsey of everyday life as it was. "Normal" is just an abstract concept--rarely found in nature, like a perfect vacuum... :D

Of course, 22 years with the antecedent of DHS may have left me a bit cynical. :p

DJK
12-26-08, 15:33
Drivel!

I always wondered what drivel meant, so today I looked it up in the dictionary. It is an old English word from before the 12 century meaning:

1 : to let saliva dribble from the mouth
2 : to talk stupidly and carelessly

I would guess in the 21st Century you could use it to describe a young guy when he tries talking to a hot babe, or the same guy when he gets too old to care to talk to a hot babe.:D

JAW3
12-27-08, 11:18
If they follow around ICE in the Houston area it should be funny and tragic at the same time. Just one long blooper reel.

Tipy
12-27-08, 18:23
United States Coast Guard, Border Patrol, ICE, Secret Service, etc is drivel? Get a life, go join one of these agencies and do something worthwhile with your boredom. What do you do for a living?
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

Sudden
01-08-09, 09:16
I watched the show. An hour show and it seemed like they spent half of it in the fear that a woman without a work visa was going to get paid for belly dancing while she saw here. When they said the smuggler with 125 lbs of grass got probation I had to turn it off. That's more reality than i need.

thopkins22
01-08-09, 10:16
United States Coast Guard, Border Patrol, ICE, Secret Service, etc is drivel? Get a life, go join one of these agencies and do something worthwhile with your boredom. What do you do for a living?
Semper Fidelis,
Tipy

He said the show was drivel, not the agencies themselves. I don't think his profession has the slightest bearing on whether or not he has valid opinions regarding television shows.

Are you a television critic? Unless you are then your opinion regarding a TELEVISION SHOW, is no more valid than his.

C4IGrant
01-08-09, 10:29
No need to watch the show, I can just wait for them to show up at my shop and ask me questions about my customers! :eek:

C4

variablebinary
01-08-09, 10:54
There is no way in hell this show can be any good.

Consider how PC cops became. I seriously doubt Cops in Atlanta spend all their time arresting people with mullets for DUI and finding rusty revolvers, but that is what the show would have you believe

I want the very un-PC reality of Law Enforcement in the USA. As for DHS, it's the federal gov't so there is sure to be massive ineptitude edited out, and lots of sawed off shotguns, AK47's and "high powered rifles" being taken off the street every episode

C5CE
01-08-09, 12:56
If you had watched the first episode, you'd have seen US Customs catch the middle eastern decent guys try to cross the border from Canada with false IDs. Or ICE catch six Mexican gang members deep in the US SW desert. The swiss belly dancer at LAX was hilarious!

shadowalker
01-08-09, 12:58
There was a lady under a seat trying to cross the southern border, the metal pushing on her head and a big guy on top of her too, and a pretty good cocaine bust.

The belly dancer was hilarious, felt kinda bad for her. "I can go now? ... I don't accept this decision!"

thopkins22
01-08-09, 13:21
If you had watched the first episode, you'd have seen US Customs catch the middle eastern decent guys try to cross the border from Canada with false IDs. Or ICE catch six Mexican gang members deep in the US SW desert. The swiss belly dancer at LAX was hilarious!

I watched it on abc's website. The only middle eastern dudes I recall were temporarily held up because one of them had a CT scan and registered on a Geiger counter.

Some kid actually declared pot pipes to customs and had to lose them. Some Asians were prevented from eating dead rats. The people of LA were kept safe from Swiss belly dancers. Some guy got a lot of guns pointed at him for having the wrong name. The American people were saved from a few bundles of marijuana.

And the most awful part was one incredibly annoying TSA worker who wept on camera because he keeps us safe from water bottles and nitting needles. It was so incredibly corny.

C5CE
01-08-09, 14:49
The only middle eastern dudes I recall were temporarily held up because one of them had a CT scan and registered on a Geiger counter.

The guys who tried to cross at Blaine, WA from Canada had fake IDs including fake college ID of some US university. I forget which college. Their parents are middle eastern. The Customs officer told them to turn left to go back to Canada. Remember a couple of years ago when a guy was caught with a trunk full of explosives, who wanted to blow up LAX? He was caught at Blaine.

The dope with the pipes...geez....what an idjit!:rolleyes: He told the CBP the next time he'd just stuff them in his pants and was immediately told "Thats smuggling". Drug paraphernalia is illegal and barred from entry. What a maroon!:D

Grant, Bury All Thy Firearms won't likely be in this show.

Yeah, the TSA bit was a bit corny.

thopkins22
01-08-09, 14:58
The guys who tried to cross at Blaine, WA from Canada had fake IDs including fake college ID of some US university. I forget which college. Their parents are middle eastern. The Customs officer told them to turn left to go back to Canada.

Ok I do remember that. I was in the kitchen then and only remember hearing it.

The closing words from TSA will keep me from ever tuning in again I'm afraid.

shadowalker
01-08-09, 15:01
The pipe guy also wanted to know if he was going to be reimbursed since he couldn't bring them into the country and made the remark that somebody had to pay, apparently not realizing it was him :).

SW-Shooter
01-08-09, 15:50
I used to work with Ed Garza (ICE), he's a good guy and I'm glad he got the posting he wanted. He was the large Hispanic guy giving the stoner with the "pipes" shit. He was also the one shouting commands in Spanish during the "high risk" stop that turned out to be a case of mistaken identity.

Not a great series but worth the hour IMO.

ricko1
01-09-09, 11:57
And I guarantee you that management is only going to go with stuff that makes them look good (and competent). In short, totally unrealistic.

Competent? Really? I don't know who I laugh at more the cops or the crooks :D