PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the 14.5 SOCOM FSB

markm
12-04-22, 12:17
With all the ARs in the corral (including suppressed setups), lately my two favorites have been the MMC and BCM 14.5 SOCOMs.

TA01NSN and Aimpoint Comp M3:

https://i.imgur.com/BZjLKgS.jpg

Stickman
12-04-22, 13:22
My 14.5 Colt/BCM hybrid with ACOG is my GP gun. If I'm outside, there is a good chance its with me. Very effective, very solid weapons. They might not be perfect for every mission, but it works well for most.

ETA:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/548b5be4e98714a96d46cc3f8427c062/1d8faa598023eded-0c/s1280x1920/15399af1ff39bdba3e6a571dea5fb7339bf06cea.jpg

Wake27
12-04-22, 15:47
I’ve wanted one for years to chop to 10.3, put a carry handle and MOE handguard on, and then suppress. I don’t even know why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

markm
12-04-22, 17:50
My 14.5 Colt/BCM hybrid with ACOG is my GP gun.

We have these steel targets from 100-500 and the 200-300 are head shot size. The SOCOM/ACOG combo with good ammo spanks them every weekend and that's the reason I love that gun so much. 69s, 77s, the SOCOM loves them all and they track good with the reticle. It's pure heaven.

Hammer_Man
12-06-22, 13:42
With all the ARs in the corral (including suppressed setups), lately my two favorites have been the MMC and BCM 14.5 SOCOMs.

I’ve built and experimented with many setups, and I keep circling back to a M4A1 FSP type carbine for general use. I like to set mine up with a KAC FF RAS.

My 14.5 Colt/BCM hybrid with ACOG is my GP gun. If I'm outside, there is a good chance its with me. Very effective, very solid weapons. They might not be perfect for every mission, but it works well for most.

ETA:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/548b5be4e98714a96d46cc3f8427c062/1d8faa598023eded-0c/s1280x1920/15399af1ff39bdba3e6a571dea5fb7339bf06cea.jpg

Stick I love that setup with the RAS II.

markm
12-06-22, 14:02
My only problem is that I have AAC cans which are BOAT ANCHORS and too heavy to run on a heavy SOCOM barrel. If I find a YHM turbo K can locally, I'm on it!

ABNAK
12-07-22, 17:52
We have these steel targets from 100-500 and the 200-300 are head shot size. The SOCOM/ACOG combo with good ammo spanks them every weekend and that's the reason I love that gun so much. 69s, 77s, the SOCOM loves them all and they track good with the reticle. It's pure heaven.

At what ranges with the TA01 you were getting those, specifically the head shot sized ones? NVM, I see they were at 200-300m.

If a regular ACOG reticle (although I have a TA31 not the NSN) will deliver 77gr to ~ POA at 300m that is a good thing.

markm
12-07-22, 21:29
At what ranges with the TA01 you were getting those, specifically the head shot sized ones? NVM, I see they were at 200-300m.

If a regular ACOG reticle (although I have a TA31 not the NSN) will deliver 77gr to ~ POA at 300m that is a good thing.

There's half IPSC size steel from 100-175. At 200, 250, and 300 there the hex shaped 7 or 8" steel we call head shots. At 400 we're back to a full size IPSC.

The nerves start in that middle range with the "head shots" because there's no mounds behind to call you own misses if you mess up. Almost always with the ACOG, I can tip toe right through them cleanly.

Pikey
12-08-22, 10:15
I have a home build with a Colt SOCOM barrel Centurion two piece rail with a TA02. It does everything that I could ask it to do in a small package, 9lb 4 oz loaded. It’ll keep up with a similar set up 20” upper. Although I think that for the type of shooting that I do the TA01 would probably work just as well as the TA02.

veeklog
12-08-22, 13:56
I have a home build with a Colt SOCOM barrel Centurion two piece rail with a TA02. It does everything that I could ask it to do in a small package, 9lb 4 oz loaded. It’ll keep up with a similar set up 20” upper. Although I think that for the type of shooting that I do the TA01 would probably work just as well as the TA02.

I have the following 14.5” SOCOM barrels from BCM, Colt, FNMI, Remington, and MMC, and all are solid performers. They are hands down my favorite barrel and very accurate to boot. Lately I also have been shooting my MMC and my BCM.

markm
12-08-22, 14:21
I have the following 14.5” SOCOM barrels from BCM, Colt, FNMI, Remington, and MMC, and all are solid performers. They are hands down my favorite barrel and very accurate to boot. Lately I also have been shooting my MMC and my BCM.

By the time I had fully vetted my MMC, they were all gone. I would have just bought another, but there was a post about a really ugly bore scope of one of the MMCs.

DG23
12-08-22, 18:59
By the time I had fully vetted my MMC, they were all gone. I would have just bought another, but there was a post about a really ugly bore scope of one of the MMCs.

Pretty sure you were the one that posted here letting us know that Davidson Defense had 'found' some more not too long ago. (several months ago - not years)

I couldn't hardly click the damn buttons fast enough to jump on that deal and get one! (owe you a beer sir) :)

Snagged it for right at $200.00 (no tax and they did have free shipping available at the time as well)

Awesome company to do business with FWIW... Saw zero issues when I bore scoped it either. Barrel was in perfect condition still sealed in the factory bag with the waxed cardboard tube thing down the bore.

https://i.imgur.com/daTuqWs.jpg

Still laughing at the guys here that recently posted about paying nearly twice as much for regular gov profile M4 barrels. :)

markm
12-09-22, 06:57
That's the one. I can't really whine too hard about not getting another. How many SOCOMs can you practically run?

veeklog
12-09-22, 13:04
Pretty sure you were the one that posted here letting us know that Davidson Defense had 'found' some more not too long ago. (several months ago - not years)

I couldn't hardly click the damn buttons fast enough to jump on that deal and get one! (owe you a beer sir) :)

Snagged it for right at $200.00 (no tax and they did have free shipping available at the time as well)

Awesome company to do business with FWIW... Saw zero issues when I bore scoped it either. Barrel was in perfect condition still sealed in the factory bag with the waxed cardboard tube thing down the bore.

https://i.imgur.com/daTuqWs.jpg

Still laughing at the guys here that recently posted about paying nearly twice as much for regular gov profile M4 barrels. :)

https://davidsondefense.com/Davidson-Defense-Charmer-145-AR-15-556-Upper-Build-Kit_p_23640.html

Looks like the MMC barrel but Davidson’s won’t say so

Waylander
12-09-22, 13:56
Wasn’t Davidsons one of the ones selling the MMC barrels originally?

markm
12-09-22, 14:55
https://davidsondefense.com/Davidson-Defense-Charmer-145-AR-15-556-Upper-Build-Kit_p_23640.html

Man. If that came with a real Mil spec upper receiver and not that billet nonsense, I'd buy one right now.

Wasn’t Davidsons one of the ones selling the MMC barrels originally?

Yeah. They had two websites that both pointed to the same vendor.

DG23
12-09-22, 19:08

Clearly someone needs to 'take one for the team' and get one (or 2) so they can post up what they discover! :)

veeklog
12-10-22, 00:22
Man. If that came with a real Mil spec upper receiver and not that billet nonsense, I'd buy one right now.

Yeah. They had two websites that both pointed to the same vendor.

https://davidsondefense.com/siege-556-nato-upper-build-kit.html

Same barrel but traditional flattop upper

markm
12-10-22, 06:54
Wow that's tempting. I'd need a rail and a BCG. I'm thinking about it.

Hammer_Man
12-10-22, 18:12
Wow that's tempting. I'd need a rail and a BCG. I'm thinking about it.

You’d only be an AO Precision bcg, and a Centurion C4 quad away from internet glory.

veeklog
12-11-22, 08:42
https://davidsondefense.com/siege-556-nato-upper-build-kit.html

Same barrel but traditional flattop upper

I am in your same boat and am tempted also. Might do so at the end of the month

Waylander
12-12-22, 00:04

I like them both but damn that BCM quad looks good. I have a SOCOM FSB that’s just been sitting here and that might be the ticket.

markm
12-12-22, 07:07
I like them both but damn that BCM quad looks good. I have a SOCOM FSB that’s just been sitting here and that might be the ticket.

I love the rail. I haven't seen the carbine version in stock for a while, but I'm glad I got it. I'll run the Atlas Bipod quite often on it too.

Waylander
12-12-22, 15:00
I love the rail. I haven't seen the carbine version in stock for a while, but I'm glad I got it. I'll run the Atlas Bipod quite often on it too.

If the BCM price holds, they’ll probably sell out quick. I like the Centurion but not for nearly 40% more. A few years ago, you couldn’t give away carbine rails and older tech but now what’s old is new again.

markm
12-12-22, 15:21
If the BCM price holds, they’ll probably sell out quick. I like the Centurion but not for nearly 40% more. A few years ago, you couldn’t give away carbine rails and older tech but now what’s old is new again.

No joke. I was living good. Could pick up a M4 RAS for $150 whenever I felt like it. The QRF is my new M4 RAS I guess.

veeklog
12-12-22, 18:33

Hopefully will be in stock soon; the rail looks great.

markm
12-12-22, 20:04
The dimensions are perfect (rail heights) and the lack of the hand guard cap gives a tiny bit more length on the very short carbine length. I just don't know if the rail is able to take a beating yet. I don't plan to bang it around, but I do like over-engineered stuff.

DG23
12-13-22, 19:40
The dimensions are perfect (rail heights) and the lack of the hand guard cap gives a tiny bit more length on the very short carbine length. I just don't know if the rail is able to take a beating yet. I don't plan to bang it around, but I do like over-engineered stuff.

What model is that?

markm
12-13-22, 19:50
What model is that?

Talking about the BCM QRF. I have the Carbine length.

Stickman
12-14-22, 11:36
Love

https://64.media.tumblr.com/77a20b52311182cc11fdc503d2b1bb54/87b44015adef7d74-53/s1280x1920/fc497dba253f29bdcc7292707688ae988a8ebcec.jpg

markm
12-14-22, 12:42
Nice!!

Waylander
12-14-22, 12:58
Yep.
That’s another rail and an optic I wish I’d grabbed a few years ago.

markm
12-14-22, 13:56
Yep.
That’s another rail and an optic I wish I’d grabbed a few years ago.

I miss the RIS II Mk 18 version. I'd say it is my favorite rail, but I never actually got one.

Hammer_Man
12-14-22, 14:50
https://i.imgur.com/Nbz1keO.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JiNuUuU.jpg

My favorite SOCOM builds. I regret selling mine.

mrbieler
12-14-22, 15:55
The MMC SOCOM deal worked out well for me and I regret not picking up a second. It's still my favorite to shoot. It wore a RAS for a long time, but I picked up the CASV for a song recently.
https://i.imgur.com/Av5NOYI.jpg

markm
12-14-22, 20:18
Very cool. I've never had the chance to run a CASV.

AztecViking
12-16-22, 19:46
Anyone here have experience with DD Socom barrels? Just curious how they stack up to Colt, MMC, and BCM’s… Great lookin setups btw Mark.

12-17-22, 08:11
Anyone here have experience with DD Socom barrels? Just curious how they stack up to Colt, MMC, and BCM’s… Great lookin setups btw Mark.

I haven’t had a DD socom profile but I have experience with a few of their 16” government profile barrels and they were impressive.

pag23
12-17-22, 10:16

How is the accuracy vs a regular BCM 16inch mid length?

Thanks!

TehLlama
12-17-22, 13:15

I'm a cheapskate, but my stupid upper happens to happily consume 75gr PPU HPBT for great results, and with the Hornacy 75gr on the same drop setup, yeah, if I were less stupid I would just focus on being proficient with this setup, get it the Centurion C4-FSP rail it deserves, and just let that be my primary setup because that's what I'm most comfortable with.
It's a lowly CMMG barrel, and probably won't accept a .22cal can, but I'm at the point where I needn't care, because a bare flash hider/acoustic ping generator (Vortex) works well enough.

My white whale remains Stickman's GL/SSC that I'd put on a 13.7" barrel setup, but the similar 16"/RIS-II and still not owning any underbarrel accessorization this setup nominally enables, I'm back to the territory where I might as well be running my DD V5 with LPVO... which is frustratingly better/cheaper/lighter, and keeps up despite the narrower midlength barrel.

markm
12-17-22, 15:44
How is the accuracy vs a regular BCM 16inch mid length?

Thanks!

I've not had a BCM 16" barrel. Only 11.5s and 14.5s. All of them are MOAish with 77 gr OTMs. If only fired with an RDS, the BCM barrels always are sub 2 MOA.

markm
12-17-22, 15:46
I'm a cheapskate, but my stupid upper happens to happily consume 75gr PPU HPBT for great results

I have an ammo can I loaded with the PPU 75gr Hollow points for stash ammo. I liked those bullets, but the disappeared from the market.

Stickman
12-19-22, 10:49
I have an ammo can I loaded with the PPU 75gr Hollow points for stash ammo. I liked those bullets, but the disappeared from the market.

I picked up a couple hundred rounds of the new 5.56 AAC 75 grain HP, I need to see how they do. At 60 CPR, they are worth trying, or at least I hope they are. I really need to get into reloading...

markm
12-19-22, 10:58
I picked up a couple hundred rounds of the new 5.56 AAC 75 grain HP, I need to see how they do. At 60 CPR, they are worth trying, or at least I hope they are. I really need to get into reloading...

If I see some of that ammo show up locally, I'll grab a few boxes to play with.

JediGuy
12-19-22, 15:05
Just dropped an order in, as well. Looks worth trying.

cosmo223
12-20-22, 19:28
Running a slightly different setup than OP - DD M4A stripped Socom upper that I picked up from Brownell's, Aeroprecision lower and a Steiner T432 prism optic that I just picked up on sale for $399. Added a Dead Air Xeno muzzle brake and a TI Nomad suppressor. Was actually shooting it earlier today using 5.56 AAC 75 gr. BTHP ammo. I will say that I really love this set up.

Didn't shoot for groups, but was getting 100% hits on 5" or 6" round steel plates at 200 yards and very consistent hits on steel "Gopher" (I think approx. 3x6" or 7") in the shape of a gopher. Just used the Steiner's built in BDC reticle. I've had the upper for a while, but the Steiner scope is new to me. Really liking it. And the AAC ammo seems to be a pretty good deal, although I think some people have been complaining about dinged cases.

markm
12-21-22, 08:13
And the AAC ammo seems to be a pretty good deal, although I think some people have been complaining about dinged cases.

As long as the round isn't bent.... and the dings aren't massive. I just shoot it.

cosmo223
12-21-22, 09:37
As long as the round isn't bent.... and the dings aren't massive. I just shoot it.

Same. Honestly, I can't say that I've even noticed any problems with the 150 or so rounds I've shot. But then, I generally don't carefully inspect each round, I just load them in the magazine and shoot'em. :) And I have been getting good accuracy and haven't had a round that failed to go bang. But I did want to at least mention it because I have seen some discussions online about the brass looking less than perfect and didn't want anyone to order this stuff and then be unpleasantly surprised.

But with PMC X-tac costing .35-.36 a round plus shipping and most match ammo costing $1.00 and up I think these are a good value at .60 per round.

markm
12-21-22, 10:50
But with PMC X-tac costing .35-.36 a round plus shipping and most match ammo costing $1.00 and up I think these are a good value at .60 per round.

I hope to come across a box or two.

markm
05-02-23, 16:42
Some guy came out shooting with us on Saturday and said my SOCOM/Aimpoint gun was a nice "Retro" build. Huh? That's the gun next to my bet each night. h0m0!

Hammer_Man
05-02-23, 17:02
Some guy came out shooting with us on Saturday and said my SOCOM/Aimpoint gun was a nice "Retro" build. Huh? That's the gun next to my bet each night. h0m0!

It’s what happens when you get old

Uncas47
05-03-23, 08:20
LOL!! We be vintage. Hell, mine's not even a SOCOM bbl.

markm
05-03-23, 09:00
It’s what happens when you get old

I'm going to get an M1 Garand! Teach that goofball.

LOL!! We be vintage. Hell, mine's not even a SOCOM bbl.

I like/have the Govt profile too. Shoot. I have the new age gay ARs too. But with the pick of any set up I want. The FSB Carbine 14.5" is my current favorite. 11.5 FSB was my house gun for a few years.

Stickman
05-03-23, 13:32
I'm going to get an M1 Garand! Teach that goofball.

I just picked up an M1A!!

markm
05-03-23, 13:41
I just picked up an M1A!!

1981 Mini 14 is my only wooden semi.

Curlew
05-03-23, 16:44
The FSB Carbine 14.5" is my current favorite. 11.5 FSB was my house gun for a few years.You seem to like FSB’s — curious as to why. Solid BUIS, or some other reason?

markm
05-03-23, 16:49
You seem to like FSB’s — curious as to why. Solid BUIS, or some other reason?

Solid Irons, taper pinning is the strongest method of attachment, works with the M4 RAS rail. It's the strong, middle of the fairway, beaten path configuration.

TehLlama
05-03-23, 20:04
You seem to like FSB’s — curious as to why. Solid BUIS, or some other reason?

If you prefer that sight picture (honestly kinda great with lower 1/3 CW, or fixed magnification optics), it's one of those setups that is just so hard to screw up, it'll run brilliantly no matter what from the sighting solution side... which is enough practical justification to accept that leaning into the vibe is the right answer

Uncas47
05-04-23, 07:56
On long shots I use it to verify that my mechnical offset is vertical. With a red dot there is no vertical crosshair to reference just a dot floating in space, even a little induced cant will throw the shot. A quick glance at the front sight tower will show that cant. It only works if that tower is installed correctly.

Dutch110
05-04-23, 09:06
Funny this thread popped up again. I have two SBRs, one BCM 11.5 and a homegrown 10.5. Both with quad rails on them. I have been looking at the 10.5 and thinking an FSB combined with a cutout quad from Centurion may be the way to go with this thing...... Fixed rear and an Aimpoint Pro. Throw a YHM K can on it and call it a day.

markm
05-04-23, 09:10
Good point too. Confirming Dot Zero with real irons is a nice option. I have a "new age" AR with long a handguard, and flippy sights, and I can torque on the handguard with my hands and move the irons out of cowitness with the sight. Does NOT inspire confidence.

Also, I've broken so many mounts and BUIS systems that I like the Steel forged FSB and Cutdown Carry Handle because they're bomb proof.

Uncas47
05-04-23, 10:02
Good point too. Confirming Dot Zero with real irons is a nice option. I have a "new age" AR with long a handguard, and flippy sights, and I can torque on the handguard with my hands and move the irons out of cowitness with the sight. Does NOT inspire confidence.

Also, I've broken so many mounts and BUIS systems that I like the Steel forged FSB and Cutdown Carry Handle because they're bomb proof.

My Brother!!