PDA

View Full Version : BCM VS Colt BCG

SFW
12-06-22, 15:55
I’m getting ready to pick up a few spare bolt carrier groups for the safe. I have two BCM rifles that have never given me any issues in the six years that I have had them. I also have a Colt 6920 that has run great as well. So my question is this… is the Colt BCG worth an extra $50 over the BCM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgeib
12-06-22, 16:04
No, it isn't.

https://media.tenor.com/Xw-PgnWOUBYAAAAC/eating-popcorn-im-watching.gif

markm
12-06-22, 16:17
I'd keep the OEM parts in the Guns and scoop up the Microbest or AO precision BCGs for spares. They're both TDP/Mil Spec. I've been running the AO BCG in my SOCOM every week for the last 6 months or so, and it's a champ. Was $79 over the holiday sale.

My only NO GO is any non mil spec metals or finishes. (Nitride, NiB, etc)

That said, if you really want OEM, the BCM BCG QC process is pretty solid, and I'd just stop there. (I love my Colts, but not for $50 more)

ggammell
12-06-22, 16:20
Nope.

12-06-22, 17:08
Whats the purpose for “a few” spare BCGs?

HKGuns
12-06-22, 17:38
For a Colt rifle yes. For anything else, nope.

SFW
12-06-22, 17:51

If something breaks. I’ve actually sheered the number 8 fasteners off of a bolt once. Wilson Combat if anyone is curious.

I like having spares. I also have a 16” 9mm PCC that if need be I could re-barrel and turn into another 5.56 rifle. I have a DD 16” mid-length barrel for it. Would like a quality BCG as well.

I have a spare Tool Craft BCG, but am hesitant to use it, as I have heard some sketchy reports on their QC.

I suffer from the philosophy of two is one. One is none. Lol. I’m also of the mind that if you buy quality then it lasts longer.

titsonritz
12-06-22, 18:03

I like to keep 2 or 3 around in case I need/want to build a rifle and don't have to worry about availability/price.

I far as spare parts goes I have several bolts, firing, cam pins, bolt rebuild kits, etc, etc.

Patrin
12-06-22, 18:14

My Armalite has a Nitride BCG and it's damn easy to clean. Holds MG lube just fine. I've been impressed with it @ 3K so far. Just a data point.

12-06-22, 18:15
Not hating or anything, but you’ve got a fleet of 3 high-quality rifles. I would expect that one (or even zero) spare BCGs would cover your needs, especially given the concern about plus or minus $50. You could cannibalize the spare, and replace its parts as needed.

When’s the last time you broke a bolt or any part of a BCG?

If you just want to have them, that’s cool, too.

GH41
12-06-22, 18:17
Colt isn't what it used to be.

indianalex01
12-06-22, 18:27
Nope.

Can you give a more detailed answer? You might as well have not even answered.

indianalex01
12-06-22, 18:29
Colt isn't what it used to be.

Stupid reply. Colt BCG’s are solid. Colts are as good as they ever have been

To everyone else. BCM BCG’s are on par with colts. BCM’s aren’t made by them but they don’t really make anything. They are more of a parts distributor.

ssc
12-06-22, 18:49
I have multiple of both. I think both are GTG. I do favor the colt extractor spring, but I’m not willing to pay a premium for a spare colt bcg. My go to bcg’s are SOLGW, Sionics and BCM.

Cheers, Steve

indianalex01
12-06-22, 18:56
I have multiple of both. I think both are GTG. I do favor the colt extractor spring, but I’m not willing to pay a premium for a spare colt bcg. My go to bcg’s are SOLGW, Sionics and BCM.

Cheers, Steve

Colt is the most combat proven without question. I would use a BCM though. I’m not even a fan of theirs. Probably one of the most overrated gun part sellers around (BCM)

m1a_scoutguy
12-06-22, 19:11
No, it isn't.

https://media.tenor.com/Xw-PgnWOUBYAAAAC/eating-popcorn-im-watching.gif

Why here ya go,, this is "just as good" and its made in the USA so why pay more? After your torture test of 1 complete mag dump with 0 issues, you can thank me later !!! https://www.combatarmory.com/combat-armory-ar15-223-223-wylde-300acc-blackout-5-56-nato-mil-spcc-bcg-combo-made-in-usa/ Sorry I couldn't resist!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

markm
12-06-22, 19:36

People went way overboard on this in the past. I have one BCG for like 8 guns.

My Armalite has a Nitride BCG and it's damn easy to clean. Holds MG lube just fine. I've been impressed with it @ 3K so far. Just a data point.

Interesting. I see a lot of them, but recent postings on bad nitride here have me avoiding the finish on parts that traditionally have NOT been nitrided. We had a really bad barrel (Faxon).

georgeib
12-06-22, 19:56
People went way overboard on this in the past. I have one BCG for like 8 guns.

Agreed. Only reason I have a couple spares is because I found a deal on a Microbest that I couldn't resist.

SFW
12-06-22, 20:07
Not hating or anything, but you’ve got a fleet of 3 high-quality rifles. I would expect that one (or even zero) spare BCGs would cover your needs, especially given the concern about plus or minus $50. You could cannibalize the spare, and replace its parts as needed.

I actually sheared the grade 8 fasteners off a Wilson Combat carrier about three years ago. Under normal shooting conditions. No mag dumps.

12-06-22, 20:16
I actually sheared the grade 8 fasteners off a Wilson Combat carrier about three years ago. Under normal shooting conditions. No mag dumps.

That sucks. Its not related to rate of fire or anything like that. It does happen, although some manufacturers are better than others. That failure is the only reason I think its reasonable to have a BCG hanging around, vs a cam pin, firing pin, FP retaining pin, extractor spring, and bolt assembly. But I don’t know why people feel the need to have several. Again, its cool if you want that.

FWIW, I fix gas keys with Ned’s OCKS screws with a BCM or Colt or similar key when that happens, and I have a spare key and screws. I also have a few BCGs laying around in various states of disrepair, but…

Patrin
12-06-22, 20:33
Interesting. I see a lot of them, but recent postings on bad nitride here have me avoiding the finish on parts that traditionally have NOT been nitrided. We had a really bad barrel (Faxon).

Roger, I can understand that. The barrel is Nitride as well and is a great shooter. I did a thread on how impressed I was. All for under 600$. A centurion rail and a Geissele SSA and it’s become one of my favorite carbines.

DG23
12-06-22, 21:52
I’m getting ready to pick up a few spare bolt carrier groups for the safe. I have two BCM rifles that have never given me any issues in the six years that I have had them. I also have a Colt 6920 that has run great as well. So my question is this… is the Colt BCG worth an extra $50 over the BCM?

Would depend on the 'particular' Colt BCG wouldn't it?

Are you willing to pay that premium for the one that came out of an Expanse carbine or does it have to have special markings designating it as somehow being different? What if you can't tell the difference at all visually (between the 'different' Colt parts)???

DG23
12-06-22, 22:23

That and the 'storing them in the safe' things are what confused me.

https://i.imgur.com/aQIUuu9.jpg

12-07-22, 07:05
Would depend on the 'particular' Colt BCG wouldn't it?

Are you willing to pay that premium for the one that came out of an Expanse carbine or does it have to have special markings designating it as somehow being different? What if you can't tell the difference at all visually (between the 'different' Colt parts)???

The few Expanse Carbines I saw had 14.5” Socom barrels and BCGs with C stamped carriers and extractors.

You need to stay out of the Colt threads.

3 AE
12-07-22, 07:43
I don't see the $50.00 difference between BCM and Colt. BCM website lists their BCG at $189.00. Arms Unlimited lists Colt BCG at $195.00

1986s4
12-07-22, 08:16
I don't see the $50.00 difference between BCM and Colt. BCM website lists their BCG at $189.00. Arms Unlimited lists Colt BCG at $195.00

Yes, my experience too. I have a BCM, several Colts and my one Gucci BCG.. Geissele, got it on sale so a little splurge for me. But, I see the BCM/Colt BCGs as being equal with one exception, the Billboard BCM on the carrier. I admit it doesn't affect performance but I just prefer to not have it. I wish they had an optional "no logo" version.

markm
12-07-22, 08:48
Yes, my experience too. I have a BCM, several Colts and my one Gucci BCG.. Geissele, got it on sale so a little splurge for me. But, I see the BCM/Colt BCGs as being equal with one exception, the Billboard BCM on the carrier. I admit it doesn't affect performance but I just prefer to not have it. I wish they had an optional "no logo" version.

I actually like the logo because I can tell what BCG is in a given AR at a glance. (All of my guns are mutts)

lysander
12-07-22, 08:55

If you shear a lug completely off, if the broken piece of lug doesn't jam everything up solid, you can shoot another 500 rounds or so before you start to risk damaging the extension.

markm
12-07-22, 09:03
If you shear a lug completely off, if the broken piece of lug doesn't jam everything up solid, you can shoot another 500 rounds or so before you start to risk damaging the extension.

That's with a good bolt. I had a Rainier Arms bolt where the second lug said goodnight within a handful of rounds.

Hammer_Man
12-07-22, 09:37
Both bcgs check all the right boxes, and come free m trusted names. Buy the one that’s on sale, and be happy.

mack7.62
12-07-22, 10:23
“Quantity has a quality all its own.”

Sorry but I would rather have 2 Microbest for $200 than 1 BCM or Colt.

HKGuns
12-07-22, 10:38
Since someone mentioned it, even though it wasn’t in the OP’s question.

I’d also choose Sionics over Colt or BCM.

They gauge excellent and more consistently inside and out. They also include well staked OCKS.

markm
12-07-22, 10:51
“Quantity has a quality all its own.”

Sorry but I would rather have 2 Microbest for $200 than 1 BCM or Colt.

For back ups, I can't argue with that logic. I do like my primary gear to be BCM or Colt.

Hammer_Man
12-07-22, 12:21
Since someone mentioned it, even though it wasn’t in the OP’s question.

I’d also choose Sionics over Colt or BCM.

They gauge excellent and more consistently inside and out. They also include well staked OCKS.

Makes sense, all Sionics products that I’ve used have been top notch.

As alternates I would also suggest Sons of Liberty Gun Works, Daniel Defense, Black River Tactical on the high end. For a lower price point, I’ve been really impressed with AO Precision mil spec that I’ve sourced from Right to Bear.

One More Time
12-07-22, 13:13
I just got in a Sionics NP3 BCG, headspace checks good, haven't messed with it much more than pulling the bolt out and lubing it up.
The phosphate one is $20 less than a BCM and uses ocks screws.
Lifetime guarantee as well.

titsonritz
12-07-22, 13:27
SIONICS BCG are awesome, I have an older one pre-OCKS and pre-phosphate extractor and a newer with the improvement, both have been 100% as have my Colt, BCM and SOLGW BCGs.

ASH556
12-07-22, 15:22
I was in the "wherever possible use Colt" camp until I had a brand new Colt BCG show up out of spec from Brownells last year. Of course they took the return no issue, but still. The issue was in the cam pin slot. Couldn't get the cam pin out, the bolt wouldn't rotate far enough. The bad part is I didn't pull it apart before trying it. I assumed it was good to go being a new Colt BCG. The gun hiccupped once or twice when sighting in, but I figured it was the mag I was using and didn't pay it that much attention since it was more of a precision build anyway. It cost me a deer because I got a "click" instead of a bang. Tap racked and got a second click. By that point the shot opportunity was gone. It was a very cold morning and at first I thought it must've been cold lube preventing the bolt from fully seating. I got home and went to tear everything down to clean and lube and that's when I discovered the issue.

Doesn't mean all Colt BCG's suck. Just that anything can have issues.

FWIW one of my guns has a Colt BCG and the other has a Brownells Nitride. Both work equally well.

markm
12-07-22, 15:45
The bad part is I didn't pull it apart before trying it.

Not to add insult to injury, but I'd never put a BCG into live fire without a tear down, inspection and lube.

ASH556
12-07-22, 15:51
Not to add insult to injury, but I'd never put a BCG into live fire without a tear down, inspection and lube.

Yeah I hear you. You see enough good in a row, you get complacent. I did.

DG23
12-07-22, 18:49
The few Expanse Carbines I saw had 14.5” Socom barrels and BCGs with C stamped carriers and extractors.

You need to stay out of the Colt threads.

If you actually knew half what you 'thought' you did you would know that those did not appear until the very end of that series and were rare as hens teeth.

Those were the exception and not the norm for that series and produced / cobbled together for a few months vs being produced for a few years. :rolleyes:

12-07-22, 22:03
If you actually knew half what you 'thought' you did you would know that those did not appear until the very end of that series and were rare as hens teeth.

Those were the exception and not the norm for that series and produced / cobbled together for a few months vs being produced for a few years. :rolleyes:

That was what? 5 years ago? That’s not even relevant to the conversation.

You watched one blowhard idiot on YouTube and jumped on a bandwagon.

It’s endless and timeless. There were blowhards just. like. you. 20 years ago saying the. same. things. about ‘These new Colts’. The same ones you think are so much different than a Colt now.

lysander
12-08-22, 10:39
That's with a good bolt. I had a Rainier Arms bolt where the second lug said goodnight within a handful of rounds.
The second lug probably started to crack at the same time as the first lug, so they would have let go around the same time.

Even with two lugs gone it would have gone a few hundred rounds before stretching the extension.

markm
12-08-22, 11:07
The second lug probably started to crack at the same time as the first lug, so they would have let go around the same time.

Even with two lugs gone it would have gone a few hundred rounds before stretching the extension.

This bolt was messed up with the NiB finish. Megademic, here, did a destructive analysis of the turd. It was garbage and failed way too early in its life.

After lug 2 failed, I quit for safety concerns. I had no reference for running that scenario as to how far it could be pushed.

veeklog
12-08-22, 13:51
I'd keep the OEM parts in the Guns and scoop up the Microbest or AO precision BCGs for spares. They're both TDP/Mil Spec. I've been running the AO BCG in my SOCOM every week for the last 6 months or so, and it's a champ. Was $79 over the holiday sale.

That said, if you really want OEM, the BCM BCG QC process is pretty solid, and I'd just stop there. (I love my Colts, but not for $50 more)

Where did you get the AO Precision or Microbest BCG? Last AO Precision I got at Right to Bear Arms for $99

themonk
12-08-22, 14:19
I have a buddy who is a lead armorer for a 3 letter agency. They used to use colts until they got a shipment where the barrel nuts were hand-tight. After that conversation, I moved on. They made great stuff and their level of QC was unparalleled but they have had too many good runs that then turn bad. How do you know if you're in one or the other?

If I was building a gun from parts I would use Sionics, DD, or SOLGW BCGs. I used to be a big fan of BCM but having to send back two BCGs for issues ended it for me. They sent me new BCGs but it was pulling teeth to get them to do it. That and the gen 3 pmag bullshit killed it for me. There are other places that make great stuff to spend my money on.

markm
12-08-22, 14:43
Where did you get the AO Precision or Microbest BCG? Last AO Precision I got at Right to Bear Arms for $99

AR15discounts.com Most holidays the AO goes on sale for $79. Some people here pissed their pants because the BCG didn't have MPI markings. But they sell enough other oddball stuff that it made no sense that the BCG was not AO and milspec. They have the Micro too I think.

titsonritz
12-08-22, 17:34

Like mentioned they were down to $79 during the BF weekend. $89.95 is the normal price I believe.

https://ar15discounts.com/products/microbest-mil-spec-c158-hpt-mpi-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-phosphate-chrome-lined/

DG23
12-08-22, 18:11
I was in the "wherever possible use Colt" camp until I had a brand new Colt BCG show up out of spec from Brownells last year. Of course they took the return no issue, but still. The issue was in the cam pin slot. Couldn't get the cam pin out, the bolt wouldn't rotate far enough. The bad part is I didn't pull it apart before trying it. I assumed it was good to go being a new Colt BCG.

Some of that new CZ / Colt crap! LOL! :)

First the triggers getting recalled and then... Not getting any money from me any time soon.

DG23
12-08-22, 18:22
AR15discounts.com Most holidays the AO goes on sale for $79. Some people here pissed their pants because the BCG didn't have MPI markings. But they sell enough other oddball stuff that it made no sense that the BCG was not AO and milspec. They have the Micro too I think.

Mine were properly marked (bought this previous BF that we just had).

https://i.imgur.com/plwBlCo.jpg

If not they would have been returned.

prepare
12-08-22, 18:59
Is a $79 AO BCG as good as and the same as a BCM for $179? Whats the difference?

I have gauged several AO BCG's and they have all gauged out in the efficient range. Same for BCM.

They're both chrome lined 8620 carriers, carpenter 158 bolts, and have the same parkerized finish.

bigfeetz
12-08-22, 19:02
I have a Rainier marked bcg. a PSA marked one ...2 toolcraft, one Colt and one DD,...all mpi marked...staked..blah blah..not one has failed...and likely all made by toolcraft anyway

DG23
12-08-22, 19:16
That was what? 5 years ago? That’s not even relevant to the conversation.

You watched one blowhard idiot on YouTube and jumped on a bandwagon.

It’s endless and timeless. There were blowhards just. like. you. 20 years ago saying the. same. things. about ‘These new Colts’. The same ones you think are so much different than a Colt now.

I actually bought a few (and still have) of the Expanse carbines and did my own side by side comparisons to LE series carbines that I also own.

You are the guy getting his all his 'info' from the internet and has zero actual hands-on experience here... :rolleyes:

https://i.imgur.com/9oLeYfR.jpg

:)

DG23
12-08-22, 19:26
I have a Rainier marked bcg. a PSA marked one ...2 toolcraft, one Colt and one DD,...all mpi marked...staked..blah blah..not one has failed...and likely all made by toolcraft anyway

Even without glasses I can clearly see the difference in machining marks when comparing the single PSA carrier I have with everything else... Toolcraft, Colt, AO are not anywhere near finished the same.

bigfeetz
12-08-22, 19:30
I actually bought a few (and still have) of the Expanse carbines and did my own side by side comparisons to LE series carbines that I also own.

You are the guy getting his all his 'info' from the internet and has zero actual hands-on experience here... :rolleyes:

https://i.imgur.com/9oLeYfR.jpg

:)

Different barrel profiles?...whats the difference?

bigfeetz
12-08-22, 19:31
Even without glasses I can clearly see the difference in machining marks when comparing the single PSA carrier I have with everything else... Toolcraft, Colt, AO are not anywhere near finished the same.

Absolutely...finish on the PSA was the grittiest...but they have all performed the same...all MPI all apparently made of the same type steel. The finish on 90% ofthe carrier is the least crucial part, speaking as a former tool and Die guy, I understand crucial surfaces, regardless...they cycle through my suppressors...all perform to snuff

HKGuns
12-08-22, 19:47
They’re BCG’s let’s try and remain calm please.

12-08-22, 19:53

Are you a machinist?

DG23
12-08-22, 19:53
They’re BCG’s let’s try and remain calm please.

Don't make me send you my PSA so you can gauge it. :)

bigfeetz
12-08-22, 20:16
Don't make me send you my PSA so you can gauge it. :)

You can guage them...and if they are within +/-.001 0f .5 inch ( IIRC) they are gtg. I havent gaged any of mine admittedly, just inside a micrometer...but they operated well enough i couldn't bother to dig out my plug gages

StreetSurvival
12-09-22, 08:05
For L.E. use which finish is preferred Phosphate or Nitrate finish for an M-16 BCG? Thank You.

markm
12-09-22, 08:22
For L.E. use which finish is preferred Phosphate or Nitrate finish for an M-16 BCG? Thank You.

Phosphate every day of the week. That's the TDP specification. That's the Colt gun BCG finish, etc.

lysander
12-09-22, 10:02
The surface finish on the bolt carrier is specified as 125 microinch, except where noted. The noted areas being the chromed areas, the cam track, the wear rails, the 0.251 diameter inside where you can't see it, and one or two other places. There are a few places, like the top and bottom cuts that are a 250 finish.

This is a 125 surface finish (the area with the engraving is about a 32 microinch finish:

https://i.imgur.com/2TdUfqy.png

StreetSurvival
12-09-22, 10:39
Many Thanks, Gentlemen.

veeklog
12-09-22, 16:22
Like mentioned they were down to $79 during the BF weekend. $89.95 is the normal price I believe.

https://ar15discounts.com/products/microbest-mil-spec-c158-hpt-mpi-5-56-bolt-carrier-group-phosphate-chrome-lined/

Thank you! Been wanting a Microbest for a long time even though they are MILSPEC for Colt

BufordTJustice
12-11-22, 11:58
For a Colt rifle yes. For anything else, nope.

This. [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RHINOWSO
12-11-22, 15:06
When something is broken, worn, or a part lost during cleaning... you aren't beholden to a company and shipping to get your rifle working again.

12-11-22, 18:02
When something is broken, worn, or a part lost during cleaning... you aren't beholden to a company and shipping to get your rifle working again.

One spare BCG gets you there.

JediGuy
12-11-22, 19:14
I’m hoping some of the concerned nabbed a couple Expo Arms BCG’s from Primary Arms today. $80 is hard to beat.

markm
12-11-22, 19:21
It's nitrided. Can't do it.

titsonritz
12-11-22, 19:35
It's nitrided. Can't do it.

Same goes for me. A SIONICS Np3 is the only non-phosphate BGC I own or ever will spend my money on.

markm
12-11-22, 20:17
Same goes for me. A SIONICS Np3 is the only non-phosphate BGC I own or ever will spend my money on.

Same. Nitride in and of itself isn't completely a problem. It's the risk of a half ass job that worries me. The NP3 is indeed a great BCG finish.