PDA

View Full Version : Is your pistol collection lacking?

hotbiggun42
12-07-22, 22:16
Mine is, i have a Px4 storm(main pistol) 9mm, Star BM i had refinished in bronze. Its a beautiful pistol but is what it is, a heavy 7 shot 9mm. Wife has a Ruger EC9 for her purse,
Walther PPK (POS) a couple 22lr revolvers. That see heavy use.

Im thinking about buying a pair of M&P 2.0 compact 9mm. I know i know i should buy a couple glock 19s.

Anyone else lacking in pistols?
Keep in mind im 58 so i dont need fancy HKs or sigs.

sandsunsurf
12-07-22, 22:38
Well if you aren’t going to go the G19 route then you should check out the Walter PDP F-series 3.5” or 4”. Great to shoot, reliable, easy to manipulate the controls…. You’ll probably make it your primary carry after only a few hundred rounds- sorry to say, but it blows the Storm out of the water for recoil impulse and trigger. But it’s also just a nice and fun gun.

Or check out the new Sig P365 X-Macro. It shoots great and holds 17rds in a slim-frame pistol that is very concealable. It’s my next pistol- Probably will buy one this Friday, unless I decide to wait for one that has a Romeo Zero from the factory.

hotbiggun42
12-07-22, 23:08
Well if you aren’t going to go the G19 route then you should check out the Walter PDP F-series 3.5” or 4”. Great to shoot, reliable, easy to manipulate the controls…. You’ll probably make it your primary carry after only a few hundred rounds- sorry to say, but it blows the Storm out of the water for recoil impulse and trigger. But it’s also just a nice and fun gun.

Or check out the new Sig P365 X-Macro. It shoots great and holds 17rds in a slim-frame pistol that is very concealable. It’s my next pistol- Probably will buy one this Friday, unless I decide to wait for one that has a Romeo Zero from the factory.

Those are $800 pistols. Im sure they are nice.

Gabriel556
12-07-22, 23:17
Mine is lacking. Unless I was a 1970’s cop. I only have two pistols, a S&W model 19 and a Ruger 686. Good pistols but I don’t really enjoy shooting them much.

OutofBatt3ry
12-07-22, 23:26
Nm.......

hotbiggun42
12-07-22, 23:33
Nm.......

I posted here in GD so we could have a casual conversation about pistols. Add your thoughts

Because of mags and parts avalability im not going to rule out the G19 just thought the M&Ps look stylish and having owened the gen 1 in the past i know they are reliable.

OutofBatt3ry
12-07-22, 23:36
I posted here in GD so we could have a casual conversation about pistols. Add your thoughts

Because of mags and parts avalability im not going to rule out the G19 just thought the M&Ps look stylish and having owened the gen 1 in the past i know they are reliable.

You reference "pistol collection" in the title of the thread...but the text of the thread sounds like you're looking for a reliable EDC. I bowed out after reading "Bronzed BM"

hotbiggun42
12-07-22, 23:41
You reference "pistol collection" in the title of the thread...but the text of the thread sounds like you're looking for a reliable EDC. I bowed out after reading "Bronzed BM"

Yeah burnt bronze color. Nothing fancy but looks nice.

OutofBatt3ry
12-07-22, 23:44
Yeah burnt bronze color. Nothing fancy but looks nice.

I'm sure it's a work of art. Perhaps just say "I need a sweet ass EDC" without comparing it to custom guns? I don't know...this thread went weird.

FromMyColdDeadHand
12-08-22, 00:38
I was expecting a post about someone’s private collection that makes HK’s Gray Room look empty…

12-08-22, 05:37
A PX4 is a perfectly reasonable pistol.

I only shoot one pistol at a time. No need to panic about not having 30 of them.

SteyrAUG
12-08-22, 06:11
Mine is, i have a Px4 storm(main pistol) 9mm, Star BM i had refinished in bronze. Its a beautiful pistol but is what it is, a heavy 7 shot 9mm. Wife has a Ruger EC9 for her purse,

Im thinking about buying a pair of M&P 2.0 compact 9mm. I know i know i should buy a couple glock 19s.

If you actually bought a Glock 19, would you actually carry it. Or would you be inclined to carry the M&P 2.0 more often.

I also suspect your PPK is actually a PPK/S.

Btw, I'm about your age with lots of SIGs, HKs, Walthers, Lugers, P38s, 1911s, etc.

SteyrAUG
12-08-22, 06:12
Mine is lacking. Unless I was a 1970’s cop. I only have two pistols, a S&W model 19 and a Ruger 686. Good pistols but I don’t really enjoy shooting them much.

Sell me that 19.

markm
12-08-22, 08:01

Nope. I have 4 or 5 which is 3 or 4 more than I need or use. Not a big pistol guy at all anymore.

Inkslinger
12-08-22, 08:07
I have enough to sprinkle a few around the house. I don’t really go in for high end collector type pistols. Just reliable ones from companies with proven track records.

utahjeepr
12-08-22, 08:22
It's only lacking if you feel it is, and that is dependent upon your motivation for having the "collection".

Mission>Gear

Steyr's motivation is different than mine. We can both be satisfied with our inventory and neither of us is wrong. I can certainly envy his or Oliar"s collections but at the same time acknowledge that they are not in line with my "mission" and far beyond what I am willing to budget.

Define the mission, rank your priorities, determine the budget, decide upon your course of action, execute the plan.

Todd.K
12-08-22, 08:22

I only shoot one pistol at a time. No need to panic about not having 30 of them.

This is a good plan for all of us who haven’t mastered multiple platforms, but I like to have a range and carry pair of the same gun.

Nothing wrong with wanting to switch to the M&P rather than Glock.

robbins290
12-08-22, 08:43
I dont think its lacking, I got almost 40 handguns, all are different Minus a few back ups.

seb5
12-08-22, 09:29
I'm a handgun man first and foremost, always have been just like old Skeeter Skelton wrote many years ago. You've read about those OCD guys that prefer pairs of everything? That's me. Most of what I shoot I have two of. Over the last decade I've cut way down to the handguns that I will have when I die. Or two of them..........

S&W 340's, Shadow Systems CR920's, Glock 19's, Colt 1911's, S&W 625's, Glock 44's, and a few other singles that I don't shoot a lot like BHP's or PPK's. Some people have dozens or more long guns, or .22's or motorcycles. I like handguns.

markm
12-08-22, 09:51
I like handguns.

What about ammo and "clips" and holsters? Not being a hand gun guys saves me thousands in guns, ammo, and accessories. If I do get a new/different pistol, I want to have mags and holsters for it. So I just don't buy new pistols.

556Cliff
12-08-22, 09:56
I've never been a pistol guy, so my collection is definitely lacking. I just don't have a lot of use for them.

I only have a single HK VP9 and it will likely be the only pistol I'll ever own... I sometimes consider buying a second VP9 because two is one, but I doubt I will.

markm
12-08-22, 11:10
I've never been a pistol guy, so my collection is definitely lacking. I just don't have a lot of use for them.

That's me too. It's not a long term fighting solution, so to me it makes no sense to stock a lot of support for the platform. But for people that like pistols? By all mean... have at it.

WillBrink
12-08-22, 11:14

I'm same age and fail to see why high quality guns are less important post 50. If what you have covers yours needs, then now you're into wants. Nothing wrong with that either, but personally I go for the best I can afford/want as my life is worth it. If you have a budget set, then personally I'd recommend used from the legacy brands vs new of the crappy stuff.

markm
12-08-22, 12:01
I'm same age and fail to see why high quality guns are less important post 50.

This! For me, I'd like one really good pistol over a variety of pretty good pistols. I'm eyeballing the Staccato P Duo as the replacement to my 22 year old G22.... some time in 2023 assuming the great depression that the media is promoting doesn't come to fruition.

everready73
12-08-22, 12:32
Those are $800 pistols. Im sure they are nice.

I have seen the regular PDP for around $550 a few places, not sure a bout the PDP-F. They seem to market the PDP-F to females but it seems similar in size to the P365 Macro with a little less capacity

seb5
12-08-22, 12:55
What about ammo and "clips" and holsters? Not being a hand gun guys saves me thousands in guns, ammo, and accessories. If I do get a new/different pistol, I want to have mags and holsters for it. So I just don't buy new pistols.

Oh yea. Since most of mine are doubles I've hot a lot of money in magazines and holsters. Single stacks get at 8-10 double stacks get at least 6. Holsters, yup, plastic guns get plastic holsters, steel gets leather. My AR's are the same. except more mags each and spare parts, and all those damned specialty tools I've got over the last 20 years. I'm not rifle poor, just don't shoot them as much as I used to. No regular access to the 600 plus range that i used for years. AR's meh, will never be without one or two but the days of using one daily and going to high speed classes are over for me and I'm OK with that.

markm
12-08-22, 13:03
but the days of using one daily and going to high speed classes are over for me and I'm OK with that.

Lord, Me TOO!! You couldn't get me to attend if the class AND ammo were both free.

gsd2053
12-08-22, 13:24
The P365xl with Holosun 507K X2 is my favorite 9mm ever.

I recommend you find a way to shoot one for your self. I believe you'll be glad you did.

Ron3
12-08-22, 14:10
I try not to have too many. Let about 10 go this year. Have 3 more that need to go.

I shoot pistols mostly. Then PCC's, then rifles, and shotguns the least.

I do want to see the "Bronze Star" pistol!

markm
12-08-22, 14:19
The P365xl with Holosun 507K X2 is my favorite 9mm ever.

I recommend you find a way to shoot one for your self. I believe you'll be glad you did.

I think Pappabear runs one of those exact set ups. Very nice. However the Staccato is a tad bit better to me as far as how well/accurately I can shoot.

Cips
12-08-22, 14:42
I think it's normal to go through waves in relation to gun ownership. Many have had this hobby for many years, so the turning of the tides is normal.
When I first got into handguns 15 years ago I would buy one or two a year, as cool new stuff came out. Over the past three years I have considerably thinned my herd, now down to about four handguns. One is my concealed carry piece, one for home defense, and two others that I just like a lot. As far as I'm concerned I'm covered there. My funds now go to taking one shooting class per year, as I've focused more on that in these same past three years than just buying more stuff.

hotbiggun42
12-08-22, 20:29

I love shooting the Px4 im keeping it. After looking at options i might pick up a APX gen1. They are cheap right now

gsd2053
12-08-22, 21:35
I love shooting the Px4 im keeping it. After looking at options i might pick up a APX gen1. They are cheap right now

Got a link?

hotbiggun42
12-09-22, 00:37
Got a link?

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/082442874241

Averageman
12-09-22, 03:01
I own Glocks.
I bought Glocks because they are efficent and do what I need in self defense and training gun games. I own other guns, Colts, H&K, and a Smith and Weson revolver, but the Glocks are still filling my primary needs.
Its accurate, cheap and accessories are abundant.

yoni
12-09-22, 04:41
I have my pseudo Glocks set up like they should have been made to start with.

I have a bunch of HK P7's

I have a Cougar converted Ruger 357 mag.

I have a .22 Ruger

I have a full house built Hi Power from Cylinder and Slide.

I have no needs for any more handguns.

BUT I WANT,

A Colt revolver certified to have been at the battle of Little Big Horn and a revolver owned by John Wesley Hardin

Todd.K
12-09-22, 11:48

Depends on your goals. Unless you intend to become a master of all pistols or just collect one of each you find interesting, I recommend you pick only one trigger system to use.

The key to G19 and done is that you maximize training time, getting as good as possible on one gun without relearning a trigger every time you bring a different pistol to shoot. If not one gun then a full size and compact of the same gun, and it doesn’t need to a Glock.

kerplode
12-09-22, 11:54
I was gonna recommend you get a VP9, but since you're 58, a SCCY CPX-2 might be a more appropriate choice. It's not fancy at all... ;-)

WillBrink
12-09-22, 12:24
I was gonna recommend you get a VP9, but since you're 58, a SCCY CPX-2 might be a more appropriate choice. It's not fancy at all... ;-)

In my non SME opinion, the best double stack polymer wonder pistol out there, although there's some newer entries to the market I have not tried, such as recent Sig offerings.

12-09-22, 12:39

A friend of a friend bought 6 SCCYs and had trouble with them. He bought one for each member of his immediate family, and himself. He loaned them to my friend, seeking advice on how to make them run. We tried weak ammo, regular ammo, hot ammo, oil, dry, clean, full mags, Barneys, etc, couldn’t get any of them to run properly. The advice given was to buy something else if he cares about his family in a way that makes him want to arm them.

Todd.K
12-09-22, 13:57

If we are going to make age jokes wouldn’t a PSA 1911 be more appropriate?

Slater
12-09-22, 16:37
I'm 62 and I have an HK P30L (V1) on layaway. Is that age appropriate?

hotbiggun42
12-09-22, 18:25
I'm 62 and I have an HK P30L (V1) on layaway. Is that age appropriate?

All depends on your budget. But if i have to put on layaway i cant afford it.

Im 58 and winding down on gun purchases. I got into shooting in 1994 so ive owned damn near every semi auto made. Sold my collection when i retired. Im down to my last 5 AR15s, and the pistols i mentioned and one old double barrel shotgun my uncle gave me years ago. Before 94 i was a fudd, step dad was a cajun so firearms were a part of life but he never owned or let us shoot military style weapons or pistols.

Problem is im like the rest of you bastards and think i need to buy just a couple more pistols.

sandsunsurf
12-09-22, 23:06

If you are carrying these pistols for self defense, I wouldn’t recommend the Berettas. Rugers and SCCYs are only marginally worse. And I shouldn’t have to mention that you shouldn’t buy a Jenson, Hi-Point, or Cobra..

grizzman
12-09-22, 23:48
If you want a compact M&P 2.0 9mm, then you should get one.

I bought a Gen 3 G23 almost 25 years ago, and never had any desire to get another Glock. It's completely reliable, and I shoot it well enough, but it's nothing special. I bought a 9mm barrel for it 5-10 years ago, and still shoot it infrequently.

I picked up a 4" M&P 2.0 a couple years ago (for less than I paid for the G23 long ago) and it's become my primary carry pistol. I shoot it much better than the Glock, it's also 100% reliable, and actually has a good trigger. I picked up another one about a year ago, for even less money, and it lives in the car. It's also been completely reliable and I shoot it well.

I've had no experience with any of your pistols, and don't expect that to ever change. A friend has a PPS M2, and I shoot it about as well as the M&Ps. I'd buy one to carry without reservation.

hotbiggun42
12-10-22, 00:41
If you want a compact M&P 2.0 9mm, then you should get one.

I bought a Gen 3 G23 almost 25 years ago, and never had any desire to get another Glock. It's completely reliable, and I shoot it well enough, but it's nothing special. I bought a 9mm barrel for it 5-10 years ago, and still shoot it infrequently.

I picked up a 4.25" M&P 2.0 a couple years ago (for less than I paid for the G23 long ago) and it's become my primary carry pistol. I shoot it much better than the Glock, it's also 100% reliable, and actually has a good trigger. I picked up another one about a year ago, for even less money, and it lives in the car. It's also been completely reliable and I shoot it well.

I've had no experience with any of your pistols, and don't expect that to ever change. A friend has a PPS M2, and I shoot it about as well as the M&Ps. I'd buy one to carry without reservation.

Recently seen a M&P 2.0 for $375. Pretty good price if you ask me.

grizzman
12-10-22, 00:43
Recently seen a M&P 2.0 for $375. Pretty good price if you ask me.

Wow!! That would be seriously tempting.

hotbiggun42
12-10-22, 00:54
Wow!! That would be seriously tempting.

https://grabagun.com/sale/smith-and-wesson-and-wesson-43.html

Also found a Baretta APX A1 for about the same price.

grizzman
12-10-22, 01:32
Oh, that's the 4.25" with full sized grip. I checked my info, and mine are the 4" with 15 round frame. I consider 16 rounds more than adequate, and it conceals a bit easier.

The 4.25" is an equally good pistol. A friend has one, and I shoot it a few times a year. The 4.25" is generally a bit more expensive than the 4" version. I also have a 5" version with full sized grip. Had I bought the first 4" first, I wouldn't have bought the 5". I actually shoot the 4"-ers better....not sure why.

12-10-22, 05:11
If you are carrying these pistols for self defense, I wouldn’t recommend the Berettas. Rugers and SCCYs are only marginally worse. And I shouldn’t have to mention that you shouldn’t buy a Jenson, Hi-Point, or Cobra..

My PX4s have been boringly reliable over several thousand rounds in competition and practice. IIRC, my fullsize did well in the 2,000 rnd challenge, also.

flenna
12-10-22, 06:42
I was in the same spot- carried my G30 for 25 years and saw no reason to change. I came across a G43 at a great price (which I posted about in the handgun forum) and thought it would make a good replacement for the few times I carried my old j-frame. Well, with the Vickers +2 extension I find myself carrying it more and more. And yesterday, to the detriment of my wallet, I picked up a G43x at a great price (of which I will post my impressions once it stops raining long enough for me to get outside and put it through the ringer). Yeah, I though I was done with handguns at the G30 but I guess not.

hotbiggun42
12-10-22, 18:18
My PX4s have been boringly reliable over several thousand rounds in competition and practice. IIRC, my fullsize did well in the 2,000 rnd challenge, also.

Mine as well, i might have 1000rds through it and never a issue. I have a dozen or more storm mags and i buy spare parts when Beretta has their sales. Not saying i love it but it do like it and will keep it

I know glock is a great pistol hell its the AR of the pistol world but for some reason i cant get into owning them and i have owned quite a few.

yoni
12-11-22, 04:51
I know glock is a great pistol hell its the AR of the pistol world but for some reason i cant get into owning them and i have owned quite a few.

That was me, I owned Glocks but NEVER really warmed to them. My Hi Powers were something else love that pistol carried it in harms way for decades.

But now with the mods I have made to my Glocks, I now really like them and time will tell if I will love them. The 6 inch .357sig Glock is currently getting some cosmetic mods, so in 6 weeks it will be back together. I can't wait to see how the Mag na port works with that hot rod round, I think it will be great. I just have to figure out a name to call this pistol. The Ruger I had modified back in the day with a fantastic action job and a Colt Python barrel was named Cougar by the makers.
But I have to figure out what to call this 357 sig pistol as it has so little Glock parts any more, is it really a Glock?

JediGuy
12-11-22, 10:38
I can't wait to see how the Mag na port works with that hot rod round, I think it will be great. I just have to figure out a name to call this pistol. The Ruger I had modified back in the day with a fantastic action job and a Colt Python barrel was named Cougar by the makers.
But I have to figure out what to call this 357 sig pistol as it has so little Glock parts any more, is it really a Glock?

Hyena, obviously. Not a dog. Not a wolf. Kind of odd. Vicious.

yoni
12-11-22, 11:52
Hyena, obviously. Not a dog. Not a wolf. Kind of odd. Vicious.

I happen to think they are not very attractive animals. Kind of like, my sort of Glocks. They tend to go in packs, well so does my 357 sig a 15 round mag in the gun plus of course one up the barrel then extra 22 round mags a minimum of 2 go with me so I would say 60 rounds of 2300fps pistol ammo is vicious .

Thank you, it is now know as Hyena Pistol

Todd.K
12-11-22, 13:06
Mine as well, i might have 1000rds through it and never an issue.

I don’t recall any systemic problems with the PX4, but I don’t pay too much attention to DA/SA designs. There is still a big difference between mine works for x number of rounds and the picture you get from a large test or agency/dept use.

I think the APX has been passed over in several tests.
I don’t think Ruger even tries to put pistols into tests.
Glock ban mag problems with HP.
Glock .40 with weapon light.
Sig P250 problems.
FN pistols in general.

hotbiggun42
12-11-22, 14:01
I don’t recall any systemic problems with the PX4, but I don’t pay too much attention to DA/SA designs. There is still a big difference between mine works for x number of rounds and the picture you get from a large test or agency/dept use.

I think the APX has been passed over in several tests.
I don’t think Ruger even tries to put pistols into tests.
Glock ban mag problems with HP.
Glock .40 with weapon light.
Sig P250 problems.
FN pistols in general.

Arent PX4s used extensivley by LE in other countries?

Slater
12-11-22, 15:39
Five or six years ago Argentina was going to adopt the PX4 as their standard military handgun and also manufacture it in the country. Given Argentina's chronic financial issues, I don't know if that ever happened.

Todd.K
12-11-22, 16:37
Arent PX4s used extensivley by LE in other countries?

I don’t recall hearing anything major, but I don’t pay attention to foreign or DA/SA stuff as much.

I don’t expect to hear as much behind the scenes from foreign cops on the selection (what outright failed, what was chosen for cost or performance) or if a systemic problem pops up later.

hotbiggun42
12-11-22, 17:09
From the internet, i know its not a credible source of facts but..
Who uses the PX4?

This handgun is mainly aimed at law enforcement forces and commercial customers. Its production commenced in 2004. Currently the Beretta PX4 Storm is used by law enforcement forces of at least 11 countries. It is also in service with Venezuelan National Guard.

I typically dont buy pistols based on LE use as cops dont use their guns much and most arent gun guys.

Todd.K
12-11-22, 18:10
I typically dont buy pistols based on LE use as cops dont use their guns much and most arent gun guys.

A large sample with a decent armorer can tell you what may be prone to failure. A reasonably hard selection trial can also. It’s certainly not my main or only basis, plenty are chosen by price or brand loyalty without much hard testing.

The_War_Wagon
12-11-22, 19:44
Yep, still need a genuine 70-series Colt to go along with my other 1911's.